HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peddie praises Pierre (Boivin)

Old
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
GordonGraham

vCash: 500
Boivin would have been perfect for the leafs he never card about on ice product and only about the bottom line

Just like them All he cared about was milking the most money out the fans, selling tickets, advertisement, merchandise....

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Turboflex*

Peddie's problem was he cared too much about the ice product, so much that he thought he should be making all the decisions. This is what killed the Leafs.

I don't care what Boivin did selling car flags, the important thing was that he hasn't been making player decisions over Gainey/Gauthier.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Hugo Sham

pedneault weighs in

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/chroniques...29-014409.html

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Ever since he lost his job at RDS, Pedneault's collumns never miss at taking a shot at the Habs.

It's as though he holds them responsible for his firing, rather than facing the fact that he's an old fart who was the king of all the captains obvious of the world and couldn't see further than simplistic, assinine stuff that most hockey fans in Montreal know. Pedneault could never see more than what was already obvious to everyone.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Ever since he lost his job at RDS, Pedneault's collumns never miss at taking a shot at the Habs.

It's as though he holds them responsible for his firing, rather than facing the fact that he's an old fart who was the king of all the captains obvious of the world and couldn't see further than simplistic, assinine stuff that most hockey fans in Montreal know. Pedneault could never see more than what was already obvious to everyone.
Not to mention, he couldn't remember to turn off his microphone when the camera was off of him, before he decided to stay a no-no and make a complete arse of himself.

His articles are good reads sometimes, but like you said it's the bashing that really turns me away from it. Sometimes I can't finish reading his stuff because of it.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not to mention, he couldn't remember to turn off his microphone when the camera was off of him, before he decided to stay a no-no and make a complete arse of himself.

His articles are good reads sometimes, but like you said it's the bashing that really turns me away from it. Sometimes I can't finish reading his stuff because of it.
I always thought, y'know, with "how" Pedneault is, I mean, his unwarranted expert title and overinflated ego, he probably pissed some people off at RDS... those mics are usually turned off by the technicians who handle the show... if it was still on, might've been someone who wanted Pedneault to look bad.

Just a theory.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But shear luck and Halak.
Of course there's some luck involved but to the point of winning two series? Please. Yes Halak was good but he's far from the only reason. Cammy, Gio, Gill, Gorges, Lappy, etc..., they all contributed.

Quote:
Yea but he filled the place even though the team sucked.
My point exactly. He did a great job filling the place even though the Habs had some terrible teams. Thing that wasn't the case before his arrival.

Quote:
He's the president. He should know what's going on.
He probably knew but decided not to interfere in hockey operations.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Peddie is admiring what he might view as somewhat of a protege in this business.

Both men have grown the sheep herd considerably while putting little thought into the product. And that's what it is, product. Yeah, they will give lipservice and tell you that winning hockey is good business but both organizations long ago gave up honest concern for developing something the descriminating fans want. So they sold the idea that being part of the herd is elite and cool and what "unites us all".

For MBA's it's all about supporting the brand, and the prices that brand commands. That support means giving the impression you're doing something in the interest of the consumer. The Habs have their Niinamaa, Hamrlik and Gomez deals to put alongside the Leetch and Owen Nolan trades as good examples that you can grow the value of your name through the use of names that fans recognize. Even if the fans refuse to recall that these players have been acquired several years after they did anything memorable.

Yes, both are master sheep herders. Both are the Mcleaders of the NHL, making us believe that "we're loving it" when the meat patties have never been smaller , the prices have never been higher, and the quality has never been lower.

The fact that Peddie admires Boivin is a sign that we should welcome Boivin's exit. Really.
It's the only recent sign that gives us hope that someone somewhere might really think winning hockey is good business, and that someone (Geoff Molson) is interested in pursuing a different model.

I don't know if I should really expect such radical change but there are signs that at least some change really is on the owners mind.

Last edited by Agnostic: 08-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:52 AM
deandebean

Peddie is right. Pierre Boivin was the best president this team has had in at least 3 decades. And probably more. Ultimately, he's there the make the franchise thrive. Winning a championship has less to do with the presidency than you all think. Today, you need a qualified president to make money. I'm not sold on Jeffrey Delabonnebière. Reminds me eerily of David Sampson...

You guys think too much of hockey. The Montreal Canadiens are not all about hockey. And the Gillet enterprises were not all about hockey.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Peddie is right. Pierre Boivin was the best president this team has had in at least 3 decades. And probably more. Ultimately, he's there the make the franchise thrive. Winning a championship has less to do with the presidency than you all think. Today, you need a qualified president to make money. I'm not sold on Jeffrey Delabonnebière. Reminds me eerily of David Sampson...

You guys think too much of hockey. The Montreal Canadiens are not all about hockey. And the Gillet enterprises were not all about hockey.
On a Saturday night in January do you watch hockey or pore over the Canadiens financials?

Championships have everything to do with presidents. they set the priorities and the culture for the entire organization. if the priority is to win a championship it is that. If it's to make a recognizable brand that you can leverage to sell second rate condos that make shareholders happy and keeps you in a job, it will be nothing more than that.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote