HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will it take to get Franson signed?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
  #1
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
What will it take to get Franson signed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Agreed, and the fishwrapper had a few other comparisons that have previously been mentioned. What about Hornqvist's situation could there possibly be to allow him to command more than $2.5-3 million? I can't think of much.
I got Hornqvist at 2.5 million. My question is what will Franson's number be?


Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
  #2
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I got Hornqvist at 2.5 million. My question is what will Franson's number be?
Stralman just picked up $1.95m for one year (just before arbitration; go Howie, keepin' the streak alive!), so that may be a comparable.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I got Hornqvist at 2.5 million. My question is what will Franson's number be?
It honestly can't be that much ... he was down their with Wade & Tootoo wrt Quality of Competition He was a protected player last season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
  #4
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Stralman just picked up $1.95m for one year (just before arbitration; go Howie, keepin' the streak alive!), so that may be a comparable.
That would be crazy money for Franson.

I can see a one year $1.25 million or a 2-year $2 million offer.

Too much in the pipeline to give $2 million (for one year) to Franson (even if they might be able to afford it).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
  #5
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
That would be crazy money for Franson.

I can see a one year $1.25 million or a 2-year $2 million offer.

Too much in the pipeline to give $2 million (for one year) to Franson (even if they might be able to afford it).
NFW Franson gets more than a million. Klein only got 1.3 and he played every night. Cody was scratched some and spent time in milwaukee. the question will be does he want to just take his QO and hope he can bump it up next year or does he take the bird in the hand and do 2 years at around 1 mil per?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:14 PM
  #6
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
NFW Franson gets more than a million. Klein only got 1.3 and he played every night. Cody was scratched some and spent time in milwaukee. the question will be does he want to just take his QO and hope he can bump it up next year or does he take the bird in the hand and do 2 years at around 1 mil per?
You know, I had to think for a second about what NFW meant. I'm such a Twitter/social conversion acronyms noob.

Now...

Typically, I'd agree with you. However, things have somewhat changed between the time Klein signed his contract and now. I originally speculated that Franson would get about $1 million. I've only bumped it slightly- and kept it short in length.

Of course, if Blum/Josi/Ellis is ready, then maybe they let Franson go. Without checking CapGeek to confirm, however, a Franson at $1.25 isn't significantly different than any of those other three if you include bonuses (certainly applicable to Blum and Ellis, less sure regarding Josi).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
  #7
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
You know, I had to think for a second about what NFW meant. I'm such a Twitter/social conversion acronyms noob.

Now...

Typically, I'd agree with you. However, things have somewhat changed between the time Klein signed his contract and now. I originally speculated that Franson would get about $1 million. I've only bumped it slightly- and kept it short in length.

Of course, if Blum/Josi/Ellis is ready, then maybe they let Franson go. Without checking CapGeek to confirm, however, a Franson at $1.25 isn't significantly different than any of those other three if you include bonuses (certainly applicable to Blum and Ellis, less sure regarding Josi).
the cap isn't much different but the other three have never played an NHL game and Cody has. Even Suter and Weber had some adjustments to make when coming up. Do we really want two of our seven dmen to have little to no experience?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
  #8
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Stralman just picked up $1.95m for one year (just before arbitration; go Howie, keepin' the streak alive!), so that may be a comparable.
If he wants that kind of money, Poile needs to trade his slow ass immediately.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
  #9
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,897
vCash: 50
Franson has ZERO leverage. He is an RFA with no arbitration rights on a team with the deepest river of defensive prospects in the NHL.

In my mind the only question is does he accept (or does poile offer) two years at 1 million or less, but still guaranteed for two years, or does he just accept his QO and hope to play his way to a larger deal next summer??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:34 PM
  #10
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Agree with the options laid out, if I'm Poile, I qualify him but offer (and hope he takes) a 2-year, $1M/year deal. If he regresses, mehp, $1M isn't much for a defenseman, if he progresses, then you get a bargain for next year.

If I'm Franson, I take a 1-year deal if I have any self-confidence and hope for a pay-day.

But he's got zero leverage on this, can't see anyone giving him an offer-sheet, he doesn't have arbitration rights, and if he wants to hold-out, all the best to him, right now the Preds have such a deep pipeline and there are so many UFA options available for the bottom-pairing out there that Franson should be doing everything in his power to just get a roster spot.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:48 PM
  #11
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,151
vCash: 500
I'd give him the same deal we just gave Parent. And at the end of that deal, I'd keep whomever was better over the two years and jettison the other, as Blum\Josi will surely be ready by then.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
  #12
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
12,655,969.74 pesos a year

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
  #13
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'd give him the same deal we just gave Parent. And at the end of that deal, I'd keep whomever was better over the two years and jettison the other, as Blum\Josi will surely be ready by then.
I would agree on price but since parent is a purely defensive D-man and Josi and Blum are both puck-mover/offensive tilted (as is Ryan Ellis, isnt he?) who do we have in the pipeline that fits the defensively responsible role??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
  #14
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would agree on price but since parent is a purely defensive D-man and Josi and Blum are both puck-mover/offensive tilted (as is Ryan Ellis, isnt he?) who do we have in the pipeline that fits the defensively responsible role??
foss looked like that kind of guy. at least i think that was his name. glenn will have to verify that. we watched him a while at prospect camp. and don't forget about laakso and sulzer.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
  #15
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would agree on price but since parent is a purely defensive D-man and Josi and Blum are both puck-mover/offensive tilted (as is Ryan Ellis, isnt he?) who do we have in the pipeline that fits the defensively responsible role??
Josi and Blum are both actually pretty responsible defensively. They're not "shutdown" guys by any means, but neither was Hamhuis. It seems to be the model to go toward guys that can play both ends of the rink. As token says, Foss sort of plays in the Parent mold, but I don't know that I'd hold my breath for ever seeing him in the NHL. Worst case, when\if Parent leaves, we sign someone to play on the third pairing cheaply and fill that role.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
  #16
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Josi and Blum are both actually pretty responsible defensively. They're not "shutdown" guys by any means, but neither was Hamhuis. It seems to be the model to go toward guys that can play both ends of the rink. As token says, Foss sort of plays in the Parent mold, but I don't know that I'd hold my breath for ever seeing him in the NHL. Worst case, when\if Parent leaves, we sign someone to play on the third pairing cheaply and fill that role.
I still think Parent suprises us. He had a hurt back last year, and we have a guy that might know a good chiropractor . If he can fix his back and Franson continues to grow the way he did last year, I think Franson/Parent will surpass Klien/Cube as our #2 pairing by the All-Star Break.

As for the thread, I bet he gets a similar deal to Parent. 2mil/2yrs sounds solid to me

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
  #17
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
I expect a million max per year for Franson. His QO is 805,000 per capgeek.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
  #18
borr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
I think possibly Palin might fit the role of #7 and PK guy. Sound Dman according to the article posted

borr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
  #19
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
It honestly can't be that much ... he was down their with Wade & Tootoo wrt Quality of Competition He was a protected player last season
That's expected from a rookie, what's scary is Boulion isn't far off....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.