HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

2006 Canes Vs. 99 Stars

Old
07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
IggyFan12

vCash: 500
2006 Canes Vs. 99 Stars

So how would a 7 game series between these 2 former Cup champions go? The Stars would get home ice advantage because they finished with 114 Points against the Canes 112 Points. The Stars gave scored 236 G and gave up only 168 for a +/- of +68 while the Canes scored 294G and gave up 260 for a +/- of + 34. The top 3 Scores for the Stars were :
1) Mike Modano- 34G 47A 81P
2) Brett Hull- 32G 26A 58P
3) Joe Nieuwendyk- 28G 27A 55P.

The Canes top 3 Scorers that year were as follows:
1)Eric Staal- 45G 55A 100P
2)J. Williams 31G 45A 76P
3)Cory Stillman 21G 55A 76P.

In terms of the playoffs the Stars went 16-7 sweeping the Oilers, beating the Blues in 6, the Avs in 7 and the Sabres in 6.
They were led in points in the playoffs by:
1)Mike Modano- 5G 18A 23P
2) Joe Nieuwendyk- 11G 10A 21P
3)Brett Hull- 8G 7A 15P.

Ed Belfour was their starting goalie and he had a 1.67 G.A.A and a .935 SV%.

The Canes went 16-9 coming back in the first round from 0-2 to beat Montreal in 6, rolling the Devils in 5, then won back to back 7 game series against the Sabres and Oilers.
They were led in points in the playoffs by:
1)Eric Staal 9G 19A 28P
2) Corey Stillman 9G 17A 26P
3) Rod Brind'Amour 12G 6A 18P.

Cam Ward came out of no where to win the Con Smyth trophy going 15-8 and he finished with a 2.14 G.A.A and with a .92 SV %.

I would say the series would be Stars in 6 as their defence with Zubov, Hatcher and Sydor along with Belfour in net would shut down the Canes attack. Plus with the veteran leadership of Modano, Hull and Niewendyk would be to much for the Canes to overcome.

IggyFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
BraveCanadian

Stars in 5 or 6.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Goalie battle, coin flip.

Plenty of teams were obviously going to beat the Canes that year, until they didn't.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The Stars were a ridiculously stacked team that only won a single Cup because Detroit, Colorado, and NJ were even more stacked at the time. They were definitely better than Carolina in a vaccuum.

HOwever, Carolina was probably the better team for the post-lockout no-clutch-and-grab "draw" lots of penalties type hockey.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Big Phil

Dallas for sure without even thinking too hard. Carolina is by far the worst post lockout team to win the Cup. They make a list or two by being the worst team EVER to win a Cup. Dallas in 1999 wouldn't. I'd like to see anyone on Carolina get past the defense and the tower of power that was Hatcher. Dallas played patient hockey, they played smart hockey and in the end they had guys who could capitalize on turnovers like Modano, Hull and Nieuwendyk. Somehow, someway you just get the feeling that a thorn in the side like Hull would constantly score that back breaking goal in the final minutes.

Plus:

Zubov is way better than any other defenseman on Carolina

Belfour is far superior to Ward

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
IggyFan12

It seems like Dallas had more veteran depth and in general more skilled players than the 06 Canes team which got some breaks once key members of the opposition went down ( Rollison, lots of Sabres D). It would be a great match up however having Staal go up against the Hatcher. I think Staal would be very well in the match up as he was very effective against Chara when the Canes beat the Bruins in 7 two years ago.

Old
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Dallas for sure without even thinking too hard. Carolina is by far the worst post lockout team to win the Cup. They make a list or two by being the worst team EVER to win a Cup. Dallas in 1999 wouldn't. I'd like to see anyone on Carolina get past the defense and the tower of power that was Hatcher. Dallas played patient hockey, they played smart hockey and in the end they had guys who could capitalize on turnovers like Modano, Hull and Nieuwendyk. Somehow, someway you just get the feeling that a thorn in the side like Hull would constantly score that back breaking goal in the final minutes.

Plus:

Zubov is way better than any other defenseman on Carolina

Belfour is far superior to Ward
And Zubov wasn't even the best defenseman on Dallas at the time.

Still though, as dominant as Hatcher and Matvichuk were at defense, I can't think they'd be nearly as good in the post-lockout no-clutch-and-grab era.

Old
07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
IggyFan12

If the game was played using the rules from 2006 do you think the Canes pull the upset? They were certainly a fast team that year, plus Staal had a monster season.

Old
07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
sabrefan2930

Stars in four or five.

sabrefan2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
nWo
New World Order

Stars in 5 games

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The Stars were a ridiculously stacked team that only won a single Cup because Detroit, Colorado, and NJ were even more stacked at the time. They were definitely better than Carolina in a vaccuum.

HOwever, Carolina was probably the better team for the post-lockout no-clutch-and-grab "draw" lots of penalties type hockey.
Good point.

The 99' Stars were a suffocatingly defensive team. Used the clutch and grab system to a T (not to say other teams didn't either). Then you would have to face a wall in Belfour at net.

Carolina '06 played the post lockout system to a T. A classic team that had its whole greater than the sum of its parts. I know because I watched both squads beat my favorite team

If this series took place post lockout, Dallas would not have it easy as one would think.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
And Zubov wasn't even the best defenseman on Dallas at the time.

Still though, as dominant as Hatcher and Matvichuk were at defense, I can't think they'd be nearly as good in the post-lockout no-clutch-and-grab era.
I don't know where to look that about but I heard a TV bit on that finals later that exclusively mentioned Zubov having an almost unreal icetime, implying he had a lot more than any other there.

I really need to watch that finals again (just watched it once in 99 so my memory is blurred), to me they were the most boring finals ever but I too seem to remember that Zubov was the standout guy on defense at least against Buffalo.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:15 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
I don't know where to look that about but I heard a TV bit on that finals later that exclusively mentioned Zubov having an almost unreal icetime, implying he had a lot more than any other there.

I really need to watch that finals again (just watched it once in 99 so my memory is blurred), to me they were the most boring finals ever but I too seem to remember that Zubov was the standout guy on defense at least against Buffalo.
From what I remember, Zubov always played more minutes than Hatcher, but Hatcher played much tougher minutes - on the PK and against the opponent's best lines. Kind of like Niedermayer and Stevens in NJ.

It's possible that Zubov played a bigger role in the finals against Buffalo, since Buffalo didn't really have much offense to shut down, but being able to score on them was at a premium.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinter Klaas View Post
If this series took place post lockout, Dallas would not have it easy as one would think.
I was going to mention that. Carolina built a squad to compete with the new rules at the right time. I don't think it was some magic thing that happened, but Carolina built their team on speed. The forwards like Erik Cole, Eric Staal, Ray Whitney, Justin Williams, Matt Cullen, Kevyn Adams, Chad Larose, etc. were all guys that could get their legs going through the neutral zone and force those big obstruction era defenders to hack, slash, hold, and trip them to prevent odd man chances.

I also think that the deadline additions of Mark Recchi and Doug Weight makes this team a bit better than some are giving credit for. Stillman, at the time, was a 80 point player. One of the most underrated wingers in the business. Recchi may end up in the HOF one day. Doug Weight will probably make the USHHOF. Ray Whitney has an outside chance to score 1,000 points. Rod Brind'Amour could be a HHOF player at the end of the day. Glen Wesley is one of the most underrated shut down guys of the era and played more games than all but about 7 or 8 defenders in history. Eric Staal and Cam Ward may eventually put together a pretty nice career. Erik Cole that year was one of the most complete power forwards going until he broke his neck. Justin Williams was a Patrick Sharp type presence for Carolina.

They had some damn good players on that team. They were all just "replacement" level guys. Whitney had just been bought out by Detroit. Stillman had been ridiculously low balled by Tampa despite helping Lecavalier with one of his best career years. Cullen wasn't on anybody's radar. Brind'Amour's offensive game had been left for dead under Paul Maurice. Staal was the baby deer skating 18 year old who scored 11 goals in 81 games. Justin Williams was the kid who never really put it together. Erik Cole was a 40 point grinder. Cam Ward was a kid who barely made the team. The defense was much the same way. Commodore bounced around from team to team and didn't contribute much of anything except hair in prior stops. Hedican and Wesley were veteran defenders who didn't garner a lot of fan fare. Ward made his bones in that playoff run and turned it into a big contract and some league wide recognition. Frank Kaberle had the season of his life and score 40+ points including the Game 7 GWG in the Finals.

I would call that team more "improbable" than bad. It was just a case of a lot of players having a career year all at the same time, then being insulated by two great pieces in Weight and Recchi at the deadline.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post

Boring is an understatement. The winning team scored only 12 goals the entire 6 game playoff series (7 games if you think about it since Game 6 went to triple overtime).

Hatcher was a towering menace. But using post-lockout rules he would not be as effective; he would more be like a pylon. The offense for the Stars was enough to win, but would it be again in a different era?

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote