HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2010 Top Prospects - #5

View Poll Results: who's the #5 prospect?
D Mark Alt 0 0%
D Danny Biega 0 0%
W Drayson Bowman 4 10.53%
D Brian Dumoulin 10 26.32%
D Justin Faulk 1 2.63%
D Michal Jordan 0 0%
G Mike Murphy 0 0%
C Riley Nash 17 44.74%
W Oskar Osala 0 0%
G Justin Peters 0 0%
D Bobby Sanguinetti 5 13.16%
LW Justin Shugg 0 0%
RW Jared Staal 0 0%
C/LW Chris Terry 1 2.63%
other 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2010, 11:52 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
2010 Top Prospects - #5

this one was much closer then the prior two but still decisive enough to move on early. Various strong candidates in the rankings are still out there including a couple first rounders.

1) RW/C Jeff Skinner - 37.74%
2) D Jamie McBain - 70.73%
3) LW Zach Boychuk - 72.97%
4) C/RW Zac Dalpe - 48.78%

added LW Justin Shugg

possibilities for the next 4 to add: Austin Levi, Mattias Lindstrom, Nick Dodge, Tommi Kivisto

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:17 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Dumoulin.

Kid was just unreal last year as a freshman on a national championship winning team. He was a major part of their defense down the stretch and just got better and better as the season progressed. He plays in all situations and skates pretty well for a big kid. Just missed out on being 2010 draft eligible by a week and would have been one of the top defenders taken in round 1, IMO. Right now his ceiling is unlimited but I think he'll definitely be at least a top 4 guy someday.

It was a tough decision between him, Nash, Sangs and Bowman for me though

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Went with Sangs. His time in the NHL was cut short by the Rangers, but from what I understand, it was simply because of MDZ's ridiculous play at the time.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Went with Sangs. His time in the NHL was cut short by the Rangers, but from what I understand, it was simply because of MDZ's ridiculous play at the time.
From what I have heard about Sanguinetti, he reminds me a bit of a young David Tanabe. Tools minus the toolbox kind of player. Ridiculous speed, ridiculous shot, and an inability to know when and where to use them to benefit him the most. He also has a reputation as being pretty soft much like Tanabe. Now, I won't discount him until I am able to see him in person, but those reputations sometimes hold a lot of water.

I went with Riley Nash for the second consecutive round here. I think he experienced a certain degree of complacency at Cornell and will be asked to take his game up a level when he likely makes the team here this season. I really like his playmaking ability as a compliment to a roster full of shoot first players.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Dumoulin.

Kid was just unreal last year as a freshman on a national championship winning team. He was a major part of their defense down the stretch and just got better and better as the season progressed. He plays in all situations and skates pretty well for a big kid. Just missed out on being 2010 draft eligible by a week and would have been one of the top defenders taken in round 1, IMO. Right now his ceiling is unlimited but I think he'll definitely be at least a top 4 guy someday.

It was a tough decision between him, Nash, Sangs and Bowman for me though
Same. It's rare for a freshman to be a part of the All-Frozen Four team, yet alone one as young as he is. He has a few things he needs to work on with BC but overall the package is as good as anyone we have to work with. Maybe it's the lack of legit blue chippers that stuck in this system on the blueline until McBain came along, but I'm extremely bullish on Dumoulin. McBain is the better of the two as a prospect since he's damn close to being considered a graduated prospect and still hasn't shown too terribly many flaws to his game, but honestly I think Dumoulin has the higher upside due to his very responsible defensive game and good offensive game to go with it.

Old
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
From what I have heard about Sanguinetti, he reminds me a bit of a young David Tanabe. Tools minus the toolbox kind of player. Ridiculous speed, ridiculous shot, and an inability to know when and where to use them to benefit him the most. He also has a reputation as being pretty soft much like Tanabe. Now, I won't discount him until I am able to see him in person, but those reputations sometimes hold a lot of water.

I went with Riley Nash for the second consecutive round here. I think he experienced a certain degree of complacency at Cornell and will be asked to take his game up a level when he likely makes the team here this season. I really like his playmaking ability as a compliment to a roster full of shoot first players.
Sangs is very comparable to Fowler. Both went into the draft with similar skillsets and pros/cons and both fell. A couple years after Sangs draft, and it's kind of understandable as to why Fowler dropped. Sangs went from an abysmal player in his own end to be decent enough to get by but is still as soft as can be. Excellent offensive upside, but more likely to be a #4-6 guy because of his inabilities in his own end, even though on first glance he has all of the tools to be a good all around defenseman. Good pickup for us nonetheless.

And, of course, I vote for Dumoulin, again.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:43 AM
totalkev

I voted for Nash at No. 3, so my votes are gonna be pretty boring until he comes off the board. I think there's a certain amount of "out-thinking the room" going on here, but I'm pretty sure that's expected, given how little there is to actually think about these days.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Nash...

Waiting for who ever keeps voting for Terry to stop by too

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Scorvo

Voted Nash, Add Lindstrom

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Went with Nash. As we go along here I start using a bit more of the 'safe' card along with their high end potential of course. Love Sanguinetti, but truth be told i'm not so sure he'll ever be an effective NHL'er. Really tough call on his defensive game, so I have some doubts there. I really hope he rounds out because he carries one heck of a package with the speed, shot, offensive creativity.. he could end up like a M.A. Bergeron or hopefully more well rounded. With Nash, I feel safe with him but also like his upside and chances of reaching it. He seems like a confident kid aswell and that can go a long way. Hearing Francis speak volumes of Nash in the lines of he does things you just can't teach and things that make you wonder, did he just do that? I am pretty excited to see what Nash can do.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Voted for Nash. I hope it gets better but Sangs is barely passable at the AHL level in his own end(and yes that takes into account how much he has improved). It will be a major problem anytime his pairing is on the ice and gets pinned in. There is little doubt that his skating and offensive skills are elite but he better hope we become a great puck possesion team

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Gr8Dan

Too many good choices! AHHHHHH!! I picked Bowman

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

I went with Nash.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Too many good choices! AHHHHHH!! I picked Bowman
I haven't voted for him yet, but I'm going on record predicting that Bowman takes the biggest step forward of any of the guys on this list this season. Please also note that I haven't voted for Boychuk yet, either.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I honestly think after the first 4 or so prospects there are legitimate arguments to be made about 3 or 4 or so guys for number 5. They are all really really close.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
The poll is closed (for me anyway), but put me down for Nash. I've never seen him play, unfortunately, but I hear good things. Apparently he's a very solid offensive player, not flashy in any way, but solid in the way that Sutter is. He won't see shorthanded time this year (most likely), but he plays solid defensively as well. Unfortunately, with Staal and Sutter, the upside for centers on THIS team is limited, but he could end up being an everyday, 2nd line center if you ask me. With the exception of Skinner, I can't say top 6 for CERTAIN about any of our prospects besides Nash, just not on this team...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
The poll is closed (for me anyway), but put me down for Nash. I've never seen him play, unfortunately, but I hear good things. Apparently he's a very solid offensive player, not flashy in any way, but solid in the way that Sutter is. He won't see shorthanded time this year (most likely), but he plays solid defensively as well. Unfortunately, with Staal and Sutter, the upside for centers on THIS team is limited, but he could end up being an everyday, 2nd line center if you ask me. With the exception of Skinner, I can't say top 6 for CERTAIN about any of our prospects besides Nash, just not on this team...

Hmm, I dunno.. didn't Francis say something to the effect when he was watching Nash play that he would do things on the ice that made you think 'did he just do that?' or 'You can't teach that'. Something to that effect anyway. I think the kid may have some skill. Sutter is solid and not flashy, as you say, but by the sounds of Francis' comments, Nash may have some skill in his game.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-31-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old
07-31-2010, 11:20 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Hmm, I dunno.. didn't Francis say something to the effect when he was watching Nash play that he would do things on the ice that made you think 'did he just do that?' or 'You can't teach that'. Something to that effect anyway. I think the kid may have some skill. Sutter is solid and not flashy, as you say, but by the sounds of Francis' comments, Nash may have some skill in his game.
I haven't seen it myself but I haven't been paying close attention to him before since he wasn't our prospect until after the draft. That said, there could be a good bit of truth in that despite the numbers. Cornell is known for playing almost exclusively a stifling defensive style of hockey, not exactly the best place for someone to show high levels of creativity. For a comparison, the difference between their system and the one used at say BU is about the difference between Ken Hitchcock's system and Bruce Boudreau's.

Old
07-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
ASSETS: Has a projectable frame and two-way acumen. Plays a mature game but also plays with passion and grit. Is good on face-offs.

FLAWS: Needs to add more bulk to his 6-1 frame to better handle corner work at the highest level. Isn't a great goal-scorer.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Potential two-way center.
His profile on CBC. They're pretty good with their assessments of players. If he was flashy, it'd have something about "creative with the puck" or "flashy two-way forward".

Of course, I'd be more likely to trust Francis over an unknown writer.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

This is off-topic for this thread, but I remember reading the other day someone saying Boychuk had to make the adjustment from Center to LW and that is possibly why he didn't put up the offensive numbers many expected in his first year in Albany. Just watching the draft video on Boychuk from back in 2008 and he says himself he is LW. Can't say I knew that, thought he was Center. I remember him playing LW for Canada in the WJC, but I thought he was a natural center, guess not.

Old
07-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Scorvo

Part of the reason I think Boychuk's numbers were as they could have been was because he played on a line that didn't have a good center on it. Chaput went from 1st line center to healthy scratch. Still, 36 points in 52 games isn't bad for a rookie leaned on for scoring. If he played 80 games in Albany he would have been on pace for roughly 56 points, which I think is pretty acceptable.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
bleedgreen

i think it was just because he is kid learning how to make his skills work in pro hockey. there doesnt have to be excuses. he is young, and it takes time for most kids. he has the speed and skill level, and this season hopefully he will be a step closer to being there.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
That's true, but every online scouting report I can find says it's a solid, not flashy offensive game. Francis could be seeing something that these general scouting services aren't seeing, or maybe he could be talking about things like positioning and being in the right place at the right time.

Overall, I feel like what Francis said was very vague, and should only be taken as reason to expect big things from Nash, just no specific big things...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote