HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I want to do awesome hockey stops

Old
08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
I want to do awesome hockey stops

I'd appreciate anyone that can provide some tips here. I can already do hockey stops both ways, but they are not sudden or abrupt enough. I play the off wing (righy shot playing left wing) and I want to be able to race up the wing (I have good speed), forcing the defense back up, and then hit the hooks, giving a second or two to slide the puck into the slot for a streaking center or winger, or take a quick shot or do a soft dump.

look at Kovalchuk's play at 2:55 here, that's what I'm looking for.

I constantly work on my stops, but I just can't execute something like that. What do I have to do, is there a certain hollow on my skates that would make it easier? Do I just need to force myself to stop shorter and shorter, taking falls as they come?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Blackjack: 08-07-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

a shallower hollow will make it easier but i woudnt get a shallower hollow just to do stops.

look how low kovalchuk gets. his butt gets real low. plus he kind of stops and transitions backwards but he gets low and pushes and digs in to the ice

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
a shallower hollow will make it easier but i woudnt get a shallower hollow just to do stops.

look how low kovalchuk gets. his butt gets real low. plus he kind of stops and transitions backwards but he gets low and pushes and digs in to the ice
Yeah, I try to get low, it just feels like if I try to stop any more suddenly my ankle will buckle or I'll lose my footing or something. Maybe I just need to get stronger?

Edit: And I do transition to backwards skating after a stop, I'm actually pretty good at that part.

Old
08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Yeah, I try to get low, it just feels like if I try to stop any more suddenly my ankle will buckle or I'll lose my footing or something. Maybe I just need to get stronger?

Edit: And I do transition to backwards skating after a stop, I'm actually pretty good at that part.
i mean kovalchuks legs are redwoods but you should be able to do it with normal people strength

kovalchuk in the video transitions but you dont have to. stopping and transitioning are pretty similar really

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Not to thread hijack but I am in the very same boat. It's not like I can't stop or something, I just wish I could do it more "powerfully."

I guess my issue was when I was learning I kind of just stopped when I got to where I was. I never tried to keep going and do it better or more powerfully, so now I need to start over.

I personally turn to the left to stop. But the problem is, I have an easier time using my back foot to stop, when if anything, it should be the front foot alone, no?

I am having many of the same issues.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:05 AM
metric

I'm fine with regular stopping but I need to work on stopping on one leg (how players do it when they come off the ice). They stop with their back leg.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:53 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
I'm fine with regular stopping but I need to work on stopping on one leg (how players do it when they come off the ice). They stop with their back leg.
That feels awkward to me too.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:14 AM
biturbo19

it's really just about power, strength and balance. like pretty much all skating elements.

if your ankle feels like it's going to buckle, that's the first weak link to look at strengthening.

beyond that, just practice it a lot. do the sprints end to end, stop at every line, skate back to the last line, stop, up to the next line, back to the last, etc. etc. etc. focus on driving hard right up to the last second and stopping right up on the line. no coasting! sure you might end up eating a lot of ice, but with practice you'll get much more comfortable with the weight transfer and it won't be a big deal really.

be heedful of how you're using your blades and your edges and where your weight is going.

i know it can be frustrating. when i quit hockey for a few years and then picked it back up, this was one of the more frustrating things to get back. just regaining the confidence that i could do it was important, as was getting the phsyical strength and balance aspect of it honed back in.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:40 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
that's a balance thing.

not that making cool looking lazy changes is a particularly useful game skill...but the balance and comfort on skates that comes with it is definitely a positive thing.

really, when you get really comfortable with your edges, you should be able to turn that back-footed stop into all kinds of really cheesy one-legged pirouttes and junk.

a really easy way to start working on that sort of balance is to skate end to end doing sort of exaggerated crossover motions. sort of zig-zagging forward down the ice. swing your one leg over, then it becomes your plant foot as you swing the other leg over back the other way. you should be able to transfer your weight and work your edges so that you can maintain your general forward progress. it really forces you to get comfortable with your entire weight shifting from one edge to the other on one foot. you get your power from shifting your weight on your edges.

it's really simple and you'll look like a retard, but it's definitely beneficial.

edit: i found a video that basically shows it, which is probably a million times more valuable than me (poorly) trying to explain it. lol. was mostly talking about ~1:15ish. but they're all valuable drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0YHdfs-bI

something like that will really help you get comfortable on your edges, and soon a lazy one-footed stop will seem like nothing.

Last edited by biturbo19: 08-07-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: added a video to make more sense.
biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
not that making cool looking lazy changes is a particularly useful game skill...but the balance and comfort on skates that comes with it is definitely a positive thing.
Ha, that's exactly how I see it, I'd love to be able to do that sweet little T-stop to get off the ice, even if the skill isn't that useful in the game, at least learning it will make me a better skater.

Old
08-07-2010, 10:45 AM
blueberrydanish

I just watched that whole video and forgot why I was watching it....man hockey season needs to start...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Cams

Balance and use of edges is the biggest thing to the quick stop and quick transitions. Don't foget, Kovalchuk in an elite skater, and extrememly strong legs and core. As someone metioned, do the drill where you go from one to the other stopping at each line and then going back to the last. Make sure you face the same way, and dig deep and stay low.

I'd look into taking a power skating class - it helps a lot!

Not to sound like a jack ass or anything, but I wouldn't worry about "looking cool" trying to go the bench, or just wanting to get that hard stop and throw lots of snow because it looks good. It will come with practice, and will just happen. Some people want to learn this stuff so they look good, and in the same way will buy pro-stock equipment or top line skates for example, just so they "look good". For me, I don't care how I look out there. I can get where I want to go and consider myself a very good player considering I never played junior or anything. I did however, spend any free time on ice working on the little things.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
noobman

He's not really doing a full stop. He's doing a partial stop and then using his momentum to move backwards a little bit before using a backwards crossover to start moving backwards. That's a typical transition.

In warmup tonight I'll try thinking about it as I do it to see if I can come up with a good description for it. The first step, however, is to be able to do a very good hockey stop. If your skates are sputtering across the ice, you'll never have the stability to transition properly.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:11 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I'd appreciate anyone that can provide some tips here. I can already to hockey stops both ways, but they are not sudden or abrupt enough. I play the off wing (righy shot playing left wing.)

I want to be able to race up the wing (I have good speed), forcing the defense back, and then hit the hooks, giving a second or two to slide the puck into the slot for a streaking center or winger, or take a quick shot or do a soft dump.

look at Kovalchuk's play at 2:55 here, that's what I'm looking for.

I constantly work on my stops, but I just can't execute something like that. What do I have to do, is there a certain hollow on my skates that would make it easier? Do I just need to force myself to stop shorter and shorter, taking falls as they come?

Thanks in advance.
full speed from blue line to goal line dead stop at the goal line.my coach at 12? used to make me do that constantly. FULL SPEED stop on the goal line. by time i was 15 i could spray snow 3/4 up the glass.
remember FULL SPEED.then after you master the stop, you go full speed BACK to the blue line. and stop there. facing the same direction. do this over and over.
you'll be an excellent stopper, and transitioner before you know it.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
HowToHockey

The hollow wont help much compared to proper technique. You need to learn how to be comfortable getting low, and really leaning into the stop.

You also have to properly transfer your weight, to make it a stop / turn at the same time. You have to use both your feet.

Think of stopping like that similar to a sharp turn on a street bike, some of those guys are almost touching the ground with there elbows.

You have to be really comfortable with your edges, to stop like that. I did a beginner video and article on this you can see it here how to hockey stop

here are both the videos

Basics of edges and how to stop

Hockey stop in action

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
Not to sound like a jack ass or anything, but I wouldn't worry about "looking cool" trying to go the bench, or just wanting to get that hard stop and throw lots of snow because it looks good. It will come with practice, and will just happen. Some people want to learn this stuff so they look good, and in the same way will buy pro-stock equipment or top line skates for example, just so they "look good". For me, I don't care how I look out there. I can get where I want to go and consider myself a very good player considering I never played junior or anything. I did however, spend any free time on ice working on the little things.
It's not that I want to look cool, but if I'm throwing more snow that means I'm stopping quicker, and I think it would be very useful in a game setting for exactly the reason it was useful for Ilya in the video - you can get some cusion from the defense and make a play. I have strong pivots, excellent crossovers and very strong backwards crossovers, I feel like learning to stop quicker would really round out my skating ability.

I actually just got back from the rink and did a lot of work on stops. It was exhausting, but I think I did make progress. I focused on really going as fast as I could that stopping as short as quickly as possible. I noticed that as I worked on the stops, I was naturally shifting my center of gravity lower and lower.

I also worked on my footwork transitioning from the stop to a could of quick backwards crossovers and pivot to start skating in the other direction. I'm already pretty good at that part, but of course you can always get better.