HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Roster - Are we in more trouble than we thought?

Old
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Good catch tantrum. We all did forget about fransson.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Ollie Weeks

The holes will be addressed.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I'm not worried at all. In Dean I Trust
Lombardi and trust.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Yes. He's a 25 year old Swedish puck moving defenseman that DL signed to a one year deal this summer. A lot of teams were in the hunt for him. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjRuLxf2lI
Damn.

I know a 10 sec youtube clip of some Euro-league means jack s*** in evaluating a player for the NHL but damn he can skate.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Damn.

I know a 10 sec youtube clip of some Euro-league means jack s*** in evaluating a player for the NHL but damn he can skate.
Ya you're right about the 10 sec clip thing, but I think he will make it because even though he will be a "rookie" in the NHL, he has been playing in the Swedish Elite league for 7 years now so he's been playing against men since he was 18. And while the Swedish League is no NHL, it is still one of the best leagues in the world and putting up 30 points in 54 games as a d-man is pretty darn good.

Plus he was the 4th overall pick in the 2nd round in 2004 by Dallas so he's always been on the NHL radar by the sounds of it. Just took him a little longer to find his game. Smells like a Detroit "diamond in the rough" draft pick to me.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

I'm not concerned for one reason. None of us will know how far along the young guys are until they get a meaningful taste of the NHL. It will be interesting and enjoyable to see who makes the opening night line up and how they progress as the season unfolds. The Kings have earned an optimistic outlook with the quality and depth of their pool of prospects.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
I'm not concerned for one reason. None of us will know how far along the young guys are until they get a meaningful taste of the NHL. It will be interesting and enjoyable to see who makes the opening night line up and how they progress as the season unfolds. The Kings have earned an optimistic outlook with the quality and depth of their pool of prospects.

I'm on this bandwagon.

Old
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
Good post

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post

Williams has been injury prone, sure, but to be considered an "older" forward? Poor guy is only 28.
I didn't realize Williams is 28. (he plays a lot older than that - ha!)

Thanks

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Yes. He's a 25 year old Swedish puck moving defenseman that DL signed to a one year deal this summer. A lot of teams were in the hunt for him. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjRuLxf2lI
I know who he is.

You originally had it as "Fransen" so I wasn't initially sure if you were talking about "Fransson" on the Kings making it out of training camp or if you wanted "Franzen" from the Red Wings to be acquired via trade.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
I know who he is.

You originally had it as "Fransen" so I wasn't initially sure if you were talking about "Fransson" on the Kings making it out of training camp or if you wanted "Franzen" from the Red Wings to be acquired via trade.
Gotcha. You must have posted that pretty quick because I think I corrected the spelling in 30 seconds after my original post..ha ha

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Damn.

He also is pretty good at the shot-pass ala the wings, with poni going to the net and deflecting passes a strong point the 3rd line and pairing might produce more than most expect

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Fransson is said to be a very good puckhandling defenseman, however, he has holes in his defensive game. Not sure if it is at the Randy Jones level, but he's a player who likes to take his chances and be involved offensively. Seems to be similar in that style to Marc-Andre Bergeron with a lot more finesse and a less powerful shot.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
also not worried at all

Kopitar + Doughty + Bernier/Quick is good enough to get us in the playoffs
It takes more than 2 players and a goalie to get us to the playoffs. Looking at the second like the OP posted, I don't think we are good enough.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Why is everyone freaking out?

Frolov>Poni (just barely in terms of production)
Bernier>Ersberg
Youngster>Jones
UFA/trade>O'Donnell
Westgarth should be better than Ivanans

Only problem is having Greene hurt to start the season. Drewiske should fill that role for the time being.

That roster is an improvement over last years as we stand.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I'm on this bandwagon.
It's a good place to be. I have a comfortable seat.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Fransson is said to be a very good puckhandling defenseman, however, he has holes in his defensive game. Not sure if it is at the Randy Jones level, but he's a player who likes to take his chances and be involved offensively. Seems to be similar in that style to Marc-Andre Bergeron with a lot more finesse and a less powerful shot.
Well that screws him up because TM does not like to have his defensemen activate so if his weakness is defensive coverage (Randy Jones part deux) then he's headed to Manchester or Sweden. Next.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Yeah, but for some reason you find sitting with the luggage comfortable.

Old
07-30-2010, 02:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah, but for some reason you find sitting with the luggage comfortable.
Nothing is ever perfect. I just want to get from here to there. Right now I don't see anything to prevent that from happening.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:58 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Why is everyone freaking out?

Frolov>Poni (just barely in terms of production)
Bernier>Ersberg
Youngster>Jones
UFA/trade>O'Donnell
Westgarth should be better than Ivanans

Only problem is having Greene hurt to start the season. Drewiske should fill that role for the time being.

That roster is an improvement over last years as we stand.
That's a bunch of hypotheticals. What if we don't pick up a decent UFA? Westgarth SHOULD be. Bernier and "youngster" haven't played a full NHL season. What if they can't hack it. It happens a lot.

I thought at this point in DL's process we should have a team locked up and lines with sufficient chemistry. It seems we're all over the place.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Even if he were a fleet-of-foot Randy Jones, it would be an upgrade.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Right now it looks not really good................
but when you compare the roster over 2 years it's looking really dark.

If we take a look on the player loss over 2-3 years and compare it to the additions
it looks like take huge steps back.

Loss: Cammy, O Sullyvan, Frolov, Visnovsky, Quincey

In: Smyth, Ponikarovsky

What's really sad is that we have to blame Murray and Lombardi for the loss of most of the players.
Right now the guys try to feel better, because there is the trading option.... but is it really an option ????? We are very thin on good players. To trade would create a hole somewhere else.

There is a reason why AEG gave Lombardi just a 2 year contract. He has to win now
and his air is getting thinner every day nothing happens.
Just watch our 2nd line for years now.......... This is just horrible..... there is no concept, no plan, nothing..... They just leaves it like it is.
Murray tries his amazing shuffling to fix what is not to fix. And Lombardi has no clue how to step forward. He is just interested in "LOmbardi type of Players"
But who are these players ?????????? The incredible amount of Stanley Cup rings Lombardi is wearing speaks a clear language.

After his 2 years our best players will be gone and we are where we always belong....
a rebuild while our former players lift the cup somewhere else..

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:13 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Right now it looks not really good................
but when you compare the roster over 2 years it's looking really dark.

If we take a look on the player loss over 2-3 years and compare it to the additions
it looks like take huge steps back.

Loss: Cammy, O Sullyvan, Frolov, Visnovsky, Quincey

In: Smyth, Ponikarovsky

What's really sad is that we have to blame Murray and Lombardi for the loss of most of the players.
Right now the guys try to feel better, because there is the trading option.... but is it really an option ????? We are very thin on good players. To trade would create a hole somewhere else.

There is a reason why AEG gave Lombardi just a 2 year contract. He has to win now
and his air is getting thinner every day nothing happens.
Just watch our 2nd line for years now.......... This is just horrible..... there is no concept, no plan, nothing..... They just leaves it like it is.
Murray tries his amazing shuffling to fix what is not to fix. And Lombardi has no clue how to step forward. He is just interested in "LOmbardi type of Players"
But who are these players ?????????? The incredible amount of Stanley Cup rings Lombardi is wearing speaks a clear language.

After his 2 years our best players will be gone and we are where we always belong....
a rebuild while our former players lift the cup somewhere else..
I think you forgot a few DL acquisitions. For example:

IN: Doughty, Johnson, Stoll, Greene, Bernier, Scuderi, Williams, Handzus, Simmonds, Schenn, Richardson

Who are Lombardi type players? Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Handzus, Simmonds, Clifford, Schenn, Scuderi, Greene, Stoll - guys who work hard off the ice, don't cause problems, and are generally referred to as "team players"

Lets face it, I bet a majority of GMs would trade their lineup for ours taking into consideration the present and future.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Johnny Utah

We have a great core, we just don't have the pieces or have added the pieces to get us to the next level. We are banking on keeping the current core together and adding through the system. Eventually, we have to add those pieces.

We couldn't get past the first round last April and we won't with this line-up either.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
We have a great core, we just don't have the pieces or have added the pieces to get us to the next level. We are banking on keeping the current core together and adding through the system. Eventually, we have to add those pieces.

We couldn't get past the first round last April and we won't with this line-up either.
You failed to mention that the core is one of the youngest in the league and doesn't have to win next season or even the one after that. Dean took a shot at Kovalchuk because he could have been added to the core and grown with the team. He wasn't necessary.

How many teams win their first time in the playoffs? Half of the Kings lineup had never played a single NHL playoff game before and they pushed Vancouver to 6 games and 5 of them could have gone either way.

Bernier should be able to push Quick to be better or Bernier will take his job by the time the playoffs roll around. Bernier took a very young AHL team to the conference finals last year.

Slow builds take time. Dean is getting team first players for lasting success.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote