HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Danny Kristo, what's happening?

Old
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Carboneer

vCash: 500
Danny Kristo, what's happening?

Does anyone know what is going on with Kristo? After searching up his stats on hockey db, it says that he has 1 goal and 8 assists for 9 points, through 20 games this year for the Sioux. When compared to last season (41 games played, 15 goals, 21 assists for 36 points) and also keeping in mind that he played a prominent role on the USA gold medal winning world junior squad, it seemed that instead of increased production Kristo is regressing.

That being said, I'm only basing this assumption on stats, since I have not had the chance to watch him play this season... is there anyone out there who is better informed than I am that would like to share their thoughts on this prospect of ours?

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
TroyM

Well he is having a rough year for sure, but I think it's possibly just the NCAA version of the "sophomore slump". There is no questioning his talent, and he has picked it up lately points-wise. AFAIK he is still getting plenty of ice time and PP time and playing a good role on his team, just having trouble putting the points up.

I can't tell you about his play from game to game, I just collect information from other sources and the stats myself, so I'll leave that to someone more informed, but I'm not worried about Kristo. It's only his second year, there is no rush with him, and he's shown his talent. I think he'll have a big year next year and then probably leave the NCAA but I could be off base there as well

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think someone said a while back he is still doing the little things well but just not putting up the points.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with Kristo? After searching up his stats on hockey db, it says that he has 1 goal and 8 assists for 9 points, through 20 games this year for the Sioux. When compared to last season (41 games played, 15 goals, 21 assists for 36 points) and also keeping in mind that he played a prominent role on the USA gold medal winning world junior squad, it seemed that instead of increased production Kristo is regressing.

That being said, I'm only basing this assumption on stats, since I have not had the chance to watch him play this season... is there anyone out there who is better informed than I am that would like to share their thoughts on this prospect of ours?
I taped the game from this past weekend, he had an assist on the 1st goal although it doesn't count since it was an exhibition game against his former team the USNDTP. I've seen most of his games this year, and he's playing well, getting lots of ice time on the top team in the WCHA (ranked in the top 3 in the ncaa as of last weeks rankings) But he's just not scoring, he can't buy a goal right now.

He's likely played on just about every line so far this year (likely to try and get him going) but the team is winning (off to their best 1st half start in some time) Hopefully he picks it up in the 2nd half, although he's not playing bad, just that his shots are getting blocked, or his shots are missing the net more, he's not shooting as much as he did in the past (although I don't have the numbers to back that up so I could be wrong but last year it seemed like he would shoot from anywhere and everywhere all the time, now he is passing much more which is a good thing as it's something he had to improve upon imo, and he has done to which playing the point on the PP has had a hand in that)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I taped the game from this past weekend, he had an assist on the 1st goal although it doesn't count since it was an exhibition game against his former team the USNDTP. I've seen most of his games this year, and he's playing well, getting lots of ice time on the top team in the WCHA (ranked in the top 3 in the ncaa as of last weeks rankings) But he's just not scoring, he can't buy a goal right now.

He's likely played on just about every line so far this year (likely to try and get him going) but the team is winning (off to their best 1st half start in some time) Hopefully he picks it up in the 2nd half, although he's not playing bad, just that his shots are getting blocked, or his shots are missing the net more, he's not shooting as much as he did in the past (although I don't have the numbers to back that up so I could be wrong but last year it seemed like he would shoot from anywhere and everywhere all the time, now he is passing much more which is a good thing as it's something he had to improve upon imo, and he has done to which playing the point on the PP has had a hand in that)
Pouliot

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
JIMVINNY

His early struggles came because of a line demotion due to an underage-drinking incident. Lately, he's just been in a scoring funk. Doing everything else well, just seems to be gripping his stick a little too tightly around the net.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I think someone said a while back he is still doing the little things well but just not putting up the points.
Sounds like he will fit in with the Habs perfectly!

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

That, my friends, is a real sentence. A man's sentence. (J/K)

Thanks for the info. Still worrisome that a guy like him (high draft choice) goes through such a prolonged slump.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
is this the Scott Gomez syndrome he is having?

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:34 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Sounds like he will fit in with the Habs perfectly!

GO HABS GO!

If he gets in a serious slump in the college ranks, imagine the pros. He was not drafted for his "steady play", but for offensive production. Pyatt, Darche, Lapierre, Moen and now Kristo!! (if he makes it to the NHL)

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
is this the Scott Gomez syndrome he is having?
That's a great comparison. The few times i've seen Kristo i've seen incredible speed but a lack of drive, hockey sense and intensity.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That's a great comparison. The few times i've seen Kristo i've seen incredible speed but a lack of drive, hockey sense and intensity.
Yeah because Gomez has no drive, hockey sense and intensity. Awesome comparison.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
His early struggles came because of a line demotion due to an underage-drinking incident. Lately, he's just been in a scoring funk. Doing everything else well, just seems to be gripping his stick a little too tightly around the net.
He wasn't demoted. He stayed where he was from last year... on the third line. When he was suspended, UND had not even had a practice yet, nor played a game, since their first practice was the day before the exhibition he was suspended for. He's on a top 2 line right now because of UND's injury's to 2/3 of their top line, but otherwise, he's third line. He wasn't demoted or punished aside from his suspension.
He's playing fine. The points will come, and he'll be rewarded for his hard work. The hockey gods always repay their debts. Sometimes you can't buy a goal and other times everything goes in.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Yeah because Gomez has no drive, hockey sense and intensity. Awesome comparison.
Didn't you know he makes $8 million a year!!!!11111

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
HabsRealist

Agree, Gomez is a guy who skates well, can check well, but is completely hockey senseless and gutless. What a disastrous trade for us ! $ 1 mill per goal.
Most girls have a better shot.

Kristo is a longshot, very slight, skates too upright, and his moves wont work in
the power NHL game. Better we know he is a bust now ( if he is ) so we can draft
knowing our needs better.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Agree, Gomez is a guy who skates well, can check well, but is completely hockey senseless and gutless. What a disastrous trade for us ! $ 1 mill per goal.

Kristo is a longshot, very slight, skates too upright, and his moves wont work in
the power NHL game. Better we know he is a bust now ( if he is ) so we can draft
are all your 57 posts this good?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the main reason for Kristo's slow start was the off ice stuff, at that age I'm sure guys bring it on the ice. He has all the tools, I think he'll put it behind him and have a stronger 2nd half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post

Yup the sky is falling and you are the new prophet.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He just needs to be a healthy scratch for a game and he'll be fine, that's how you're supposed to deal with all young players isn't it?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote