HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Thanks to the poster above this for pointing out key plays that Andrei Kotitsyn made.......and they were key plays. The same could be done for a few other players that fans constantly want to trade away. I still have high hopes for AK.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:04 AM
habber24

I also think that A.Kost is important to the team, much less a question mark than Pouliot. But I guess if we let ourselves get brainwashed by RDS, I can see why we would want to trade AKost for a bag of pucks and an old jockstrap.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:12 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habber24 View Post
I also think that A.Kost is important to the team, much less a question mark than Pouliot. But I guess if we let ourselves get brainwashed by RDS, I can see why we would want to trade AKost for a bag of pucks and an old jockstrap.
I agree, he is much more of a sure thing than Pouliot. Pouls got some skills, but he really seems to lack intensity and any kind of mean streak, AK on the other hand has plenty.

AK will be very good this year IMO.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
So?
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Stempniak
Boyd-Eller-Kostisyn
Moen-Pyatt-Lappierre

Anybody?
That's pretty good. Still lack grit, but I would take that line-up.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Andy

Good post Stradale. Andrei went from being a little overrated in his rookie season to extremely underrated. A lot of the hate directed towards him stems from people's hate towards his brother. Andrei does a lot of things that go unnoticed because people are to busy waiting for him to be a 40 goal scorer that they just ignore other aspects of his game.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Good post Stradale. Andrei went from being a little overrated in his rookie season to extremely underrated. A lot of the hate directed towards him stems from people's hate towards his brother. Andrei does a lot of things that go unnoticed because people are to busy waiting for him to be a 40 goal scorer that they just ignore other aspects of his game.
The post of the year in making sure people see the real story about Andrei. Nice job by body and great acknowledgment by you.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:37 AM
gusfring

Quote:
People expect a bit more from a top 10 pick in a draft year that was one of the best in the past 15 years.

I don't blame them.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
He's been trying to find his confidence playing top minutes for a number of years now. I don't care if he can hit...he brings nothing to the team when he's not scoring. Pleks, Gionta, Cam, Gomez all can still help the team when they're not scoring. AK has the potential to be a top end player but he'll have to do that on another team. I'm done with the AK experiment.
WARNING: YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED BY L'ANTICHAMBRE/BENOIT BRUNET. PLEASE RESORT TO COMMON SENSE BEFORE JUDGING A PLAYERS VALUE!

Seriously though look at his stats:

2006-07 Montreal Canadiens 22 1 10 11
2007-08 Montreal Canadiens 78 26 27 53
2008-09 Montreal Canadiens 74 23 18 41
2009-10 Montreal Canadiens 59 15 18 33

Are you really telling me that you've given up on a player who is young, can hit, has scored over 20 G in 2 of 4 seasons in the NHL and is only payed 3.5 Million ?

Have you forgotten that even though he hasn't had life/career threatening injuries he has has some injury troubles in the past couple of years?

There aren't many teams in the NHL that have 6 players in they're top 6 that are offensive threats, with AK we are lucky that even if he's underperforming he is still playing up to his contract and has the potential (in my mind) to be a PPG player or even a 40 G scorer. I think his only problem is his inconsistency but give the guy a break, his numbers at the end of the year are still pretty good.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSolutelyDbest View Post
WARNING: YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED BY L'ANTICHAMBRE/BENOIT BRUNET. PLEASE RESORT TO COMMON SENSE BEFORE JUDGING A PLAYERS VALUE!

Are you really telling me that you've given up on a player who is young, can hit, has scored over 20 G in 2 of 4 seasons in the NHL and is only payed 3.5 Million ?

Have you forgotten that even though he hasn't had life/career threatening injuries he has has some injury troubles in the past couple of years?

There aren't many teams in the NHL that have 6 players in they're top 6 that are offensive threats, with AK we are lucky that even if he's underperforming he is still playing up to his contract and has the potential (in my mind) to be a PPG player or even a 40 G scorer. I think his only problem is his inconsistency but give the guy a break, his numbers at the end of the year are still pretty good.
Don't forget that in every season he's played Kostitsyn has scored at no less than a 0.5 ppg pace which would give at least 41 points every season. He's been a 20+ goal pace in three of the four seasons achieving it twice, the other time he was hampered by injuries.

People just don't like him because of a. his brother b. his draft year and c. because Montreal always needs a scapegoat.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

Right, because I think he's incredibly inconsistent I'm "brainwashed". And you're the no-it all boy wonder. Give me a break.

His numbers are decent at the end of the year but they all come in a 15 game span. The guy is a ghost for 60% of the season. He's not good defensively, he doesn't create space for his teammates, he loses the puck quite often, he's injury prone. All I'm saying is you notice him for 20 games out the year. I don't want a player like that. $3.5M price tag requires much more consistency. I'd take a 20 goal guy who's rugged, good defensively and creates space for his linemates than 25-30G Andrei who scores 90% of his goals within a 3 week span.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
People expect a bit more from a top 10 pick in a draft year that was one of the best in the past 15 years.

I don't blame them.
Im not gonna do it for you but Andrei rate in the top 25 in term of goals, assist and point from that draft year. Also he is in the 40is for games played. Make the reseach

Old
08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Don't forget that in every season he's played Kostitsyn has scored at no less than a 0.5 ppg pace which would give at least 41 points every season. He's been a 20+ goal pace in three of the four seasons achieving it twice, the other time he was hampered by injuries.

People just don't like him because of a. his brother b. his draft year and c. because Montreal always needs a scapegoat.
Honestly I blame it on RDS, Benoit Brunet would criticize Kostityn so often that well basically after a while people would criticize every wrong move he made also.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Right, because I think he's incredibly inconsistent I'm "brainwashed". And you're the no-it all boy wonder. Give me a break.

His numbers are decent at the end of the year but they all come in a 15 game span. The guy is a ghost for 60% of the season. He's not good defensively, he doesn't create space for his teammates, he loses the puck quite often, he's injury prone. All I'm saying is you notice him for 20 games out the year. I don't want a player like that. $3.5M price tag requires much more consistency. I'd take a 20 goal guy who's rugged, good defensively and creates space for his linemates than 25-30G Andrei who scores 90% of his goals within a 3 week span.
You are ........looking at the game wrong. You get to cough up on signal moments and forget to look at the big picture.

Quote:
Honestly I blame it on RDS, Benoit Brunet would criticize Kostityn so often that well basically after a while people would criticize every wrong move he made also.
This.....I'm not gonna denied that there where a few nights where he was horrible but hey Crosby was also horrible on some nights. Does that make Crosby a bad player?
Andrei overall played decent this year. In the playoffs, he did better then I expected in therms of grit so he has it in him. I'm also expecting more of him this upcomming season.

Old
08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Im not gonna do it for you but Andrei rate in the top 25 in term of goals, assist and point from that draft year. Also he is in the 40is for games played. Make the reseach
So he is top 25 and drafted 10th? With the other guys drafted around him, we missed out. Pretty clear.

Old
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
So he is top 25 and drafted 10th? With the other guys drafted around him, we missed out. Pretty clear.
And how is that Andrei Kostitsyn's fault? You started by complaining about him being inconsistent and now turned it into a draft argument. Andrei didn't ask to be drafted 10th overall, it's an irrelevant argument at this point.

What is your point actually, your all over the place in your posts? You don't like Andrei because he was drafted 10th or because he is inconsistent? It seems irrational to hate a player for being drafted at a particular position when that player doesn't force teams to do so.

Old
08-25-2010, 10:16 AM
ScottFC

Quote:

Find a player who can put up 50 points and play a rugged game who will sign at 3.5 Million and has the potential to become a ppg player who we can get for free or close to nothing and send this information to the Habs please. I'd be ecstatic

Compare his Stats to Chris Higgins and the chances we gave him and then give him the opportunity to make or break his carreer this season before saying you're done with him.

The guy is a ghost for 60% of the season, I guess you can say that when things just aren't working out for him but remember that in the other 40% he can almost singlehandidly win you games.

Last edited by ScottFC: 08-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
And how is that Andrei Kostitsyn's fault? You started by complaining about him being inconsistent and now turned it into a draft argument. Andrei didn't ask to be drafted 10th overall, it's an irrelevant argument at this point.

What is your point actually, your all over the place in your posts? You don't like Andrei because he was drafted 10th or because he is inconsistent? It seems irrational to hate a player for being drafted at a particular position when that player doesn't force teams to do so.
I find this to be the same for players deemed overpaid. It's not their fault the organization felt overpayment was necessary for something that was sorely lacking. But some fans equate 80 points every year for a player making x amount of dollars despite the fact that player's history indicate it probably won't happen. Even though the organization overpaid the realistic expectations should be based on past performance.

Old
08-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
That's why he's paid 3.5M$ not 5M$-5M$-6M$-7.4M$.

You say he is useless when he doesn't score but ignores the other good things he does (like hitting), isn't that stupid?. Its like if Im saying Gionta is useless when he doesn't score, I don't care about his leadership, he's paid to score.

So I was rewatching the highlights of game 6 and 7 against the Pens.. Two extremely important games i must say..... and Andrei doesn't look that terrible and useless when he does not score.

GAME 6

0:12 - AK breaks play, small pass to Cammy, to Plek to Cammy, scores
4:00 - AK with a SUPERB pass to Cammy, scores again.
4:55 - Good rush with Pleky.
5:25 - Another dumb play by MAB on the offensive zone, AK replaces him a the blue line, takes out Staal with a great hit, no more danger

GAME 7

0:34 - Nice cross-ice pass for Pleky, Fleury stops the one-timer.
1:40 - 2 good defensive plays.
2:00 - Hard forecheking, steals the puck, 3rd assist on the goal but it was all his.
2:40 - Intercepts a pass, 2 on 1 with Gomez, 2 good scoring chances.

Not a single highlight of him coughing the puck that cost us goals or scoring chances and remember, these a pretty important games. I bet the hater doesn't remember almost any of these plays. I already see the hater coming up with the: "yeah, a couple of highlights doesnt make a season. I dont care if he was good these two games... He did nothing against the Flyers".

So before saying that he was garbage almost all season long, and is useless when he doesn't score, maybe you guys should watch some games. Yeah of course we know he cough up the puck too often and is not very good defensively but he can do good things that doesn't get a bit of credit here. Haters only concentrated on his flaws and completely ignores the rest.

I watched game 7 of the Habs ECF semi-finals last on NHL network and tried to look at two things mainly; Subban and AK

Both were impressive in that game. Especially Subban, still AK did a lot of good things.

For some time, I lost almost all hope in him, but then I remember Plex, I hadn't lost hope on him and he came back strong, wouldn't be surprised to see AK do the same. He can easily score 25-30 if he puts his heart to it.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Jigger77

For me it's not a question of heart. He tries.

It's just that he has so much skill it's ********. He has the tools to be a superstar. Trouble is I just don't think he has what it takes between the ears. Just terrible hockey sense. Also I like players who are involved on the ice, i.e talking to teammates, refs, involved in scrimmages after whistles etc. Sometimes I feel like there is AK and then there is the rest of the team. Like he's alone out there, looking, at times, lost.

I don't think it's a horrible pick, and hindsight is always 20/20, but considering the players we missed out on to draft him I consider it to be a bad pick.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I watched game 7 of the Habs ECF semi-finals last on NHL network and tried to look at two things mainly; Subban and AK

Both were impressive in that game. Especially Subban, still AK did a lot of good things.

For some time, I lost almost all hope in him, but then I remember Plex, I hadn't lost hope on him and he came back strong, wouldn't be surprised to see AK do the same. He can easily score 25-30 if he puts his heart to it.
I'd like to see Cammy, Gionta and Gomez on the 1st line and Eller, AK and Pleks on the 2nd line and see how that works for a handful of games.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:20 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
He can easily score 25-30 if he puts his heart to it.

If he puts his heart into it? WTF? And you are defending him, is it wrong to believe that our players should be giving the team 100% each game? Somehow AK is exempt from this, I don't get it. Shades of Kovalev, no thanks. Bring it from game 1 to game 82, i don't care if he gets 50 goals in 25 games, the other 57 games still count and mean something. If AK can single handedly win games then I am sure he can play more consistently for 82 games no? He is young and has a boatload of talent he just needs to be better every night not just some nights. He is giving the efforts of a guy making a million instead of 3.5 million.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post

It's just that he has so much skill it's ********. He has the tools to be a superstar. Trouble is I just don't think he has what it takes between the ears. Just terrible hockey sense. Also I like players who are involved on the ice, i.e talking to teammates, refs, involved in scrimmages after whistles etc. Sometimes I feel like there is AK and then there is the rest of the team. Like he's alone out there, looking, at times, lost.

I don't think it's a horrible pick, and hindsight is always 20/20, but considering the players we missed out on to draft him I consider it to be a bad pick.
People often mistake "bad hockey sense" with a a long build-up of getting used to a certain speed to do the things you used to do at lower speed. Action and reaction in hockey is adaptive. You can't judge a talented player's hockey sense until he's fully developped. I've seen many examples that lead me to believe AK does have a very good hockey sense, he just hasn't fully adapted to the game speed yet. PLayers play 45 seconds shift, forwards, for almost 20 minutes a game when they're on top, or else about 15 minutes or less., so in a full season, a player like AK gets about 20 hours of real live play situation. That's why some players take a lot of time to adapt. It,s a question of habit, knowing the kinda plays that can happen and the kinda moves you need to do in those situations.

AK had a 20 game span, in each of his three seasons, where he was PPG, almost scored a goal every two games (in his first season, it was about 30 games straight where he was PPG). That's three times a 1/4 of a season where he played like a star player. So to me, the whole "AK has bad hockey sense" is just ridiculous. A player with bad hockey sense, or no hockey sense, won't get three 20 games spans of PPG over his three first seasons, and won't show the things I've seen from him in the past.

I don't buy it.

He's an intelligent fella, it'll come with time, a time where he'll further those 20 games stretches into 40-60 games stretches.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:

i didnt read your post
but respect for the Bison BC avatar
awesome album

Old
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
He can easily score 25-30 if he puts his heart to it.

If he puts his heart into it? WTF? And you are defending him, is it wrong to believe that our players should be giving the team 100% each game? Somehow AK is exempt from this, I don't get it. Shades of Kovalev, no thanks. Bring it from game 1 to game 82, i don't care if he gets 50 goals in 25 games, the other 57 games still count and mean something. If AK can single handedly win games then I am sure he can play more consistently for 82 games no? He is young and has a boatload of talent he just needs to be better every night not just some nights. He is giving the efforts of a guy making a million instead of 3.5 million.
but but he hits...
"you're watching the game wrong"
There aren't many players in this league that score 20-25 goals making 3.5M. Habs are getting him at a steal!!!
You're just mad cuz his brother was a goof

Andrei has no trade value...I suppose all the other GM's in the league are clearly misinformed.

I've watched every single Habs game Andrei's play in. How people defend him to the death is He brings it 1 month out of the year.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Guilliam

Quote:

Good post. I also don't think it's not a question of heart. you can see in those highlights that when it was really important (2 elimination games), he played like he cared.

Of course it's not a good pick because we all see players that contribute morte to their team that have been drafted after him. Like you said, hindsight is 20/20. But I can definitely see what they saw in him. With his hands, his shot and his physical strength, I can understand why they went with him.

One other thing that Andrei does and that often goes unnoticed is screening the goalie and driving the net. As you can see on that play in the 7th game where he got that 3rd assist, when the puck goes in the net, Andrei is right there in the goalie's face. I saw him do stuff like that a couple of times this season but of course it doesn't appear on the score sheet so nobody talks about it. We are so starving for a big body that goes to the net, to me it's a good reason to cut him some slack and give him another season to prove himself.

Closed Thread