HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie situation in Montreal

View Poll Results: Goalies in MTL
One of the best tandems in the league 5 2.82%
Price will be amazing and Auld will play 20 games tops 42 23.73%
Solid young #1 and a experienced #2 69 38.98%
Average Duo with question marks 55 31.07%
Total Panic mode!! moving to STL 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2010, 01:45 AM
anctilndg

vCash: 500
Goalie situation in Montreal

How do you feel about it?...and why!

Price+Auld Total NHL careers

GP-364-W-149-L-143-T-2-OTL-44-SO-12

S%-.907-GAA-2.78-P%-.509

Last edited by anctilndg: 07-29-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old
07-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Max et Guillaume

I feel like there are too many useless threads on this ridiculous subject

Old
07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
I feel like there are too many useless threads on this ridiculous subject
And it's always the same people starting them... Let it go already!

Old
07-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It has the potential to be a a duo with a solid #1 and an okay backup, but that's all it is... potential

Right now, its a duo with many questions marks, there's no doubt about it. Price needs to take the next step in his progression this season. Auld is not going to bail this team out if Price falters.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

Minimum:Solid young #1 and a experienced #2
Maximumrice will be amazing and Auld will play 20 games tops

Old
07-29-2010, 02:42 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

It's somewhere between #3 and #4. We have a solid number 1 but he has question marks and consistency issues. But he has the potential to be stellar. And we have a number 2 that is very average. I hope he won't have to play more than 15-20 games, or else we're in trouble.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
It's somewhere between #3 and #4. We have a solid number 1 but he has question marks and consistency issues. But he has the potential to be stellar. And we have a number 2 that is very average. I hope he won't have to play more than 15-20 games, or else we're in trouble.
So if Auld doesn't play more than 15-20 games, You're basically saying Price will play 62-67 games or more? Auld playing up to 25 games is fine IMO.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

I voted,there are indeed too many topics on our goaltending but whatever.

Price will be fine, I liked his attitude at the end of the year. I'm not worried about him, what worries me the most is the stupid media we have who will judge his every move waiting for a mistake. Hope he can win their hearts quick or else we will have another year of goaltending drama.

Auld will play 20-25 games. Again, like every year, goaltending is the least of my worries.

Old
07-29-2010, 04:13 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
I voted,there are indeed too many topics on our goaltending but whatever.

Price will be fine, I liked his attitude at the end of the year. I'm not worried about him, what worries me the most is the stupid media we have who will judge his every move waiting for a mistake. Hope he can win their hearts quick or else we will have another year of goaltending drama.

Auld will play 20-25 games. Again, like every year, goaltending is the least of my worries.
He could give them his salary and they will still b*tch it wasn't enough

Old
07-29-2010, 06:22 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Price will be fine. But Auld sucks.

Old
07-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Patofqc*

Big big question marks. Price is soft between the ears, and Auld is a bad #2.

Old
07-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The human brain is made out of very soft matter indeed.

Old
07-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

CP has been an average NHL goalie so far, with flashes of greatness and rocky games. This is his chance to show progression and maturity. I don't expect he'll suddenly be Patrick Roy but he should be a top 10-12 goalie if he shows up focused. Auld has been very good in stretches, If JM lets him challenge Price a bit when he gets hot, I think that would get the best out of both.

Old
07-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
You're mistaking youthful inconsistency with being "soft behind the ears". Were Fleury, Stamkos, Luongo, Giguere, Pronger etc all "soft between the ears"?

Old
07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Francesa

Solid young #1 and a experienced #2

Old
07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by anctilndg View Post
How do you feel about it?...and why!

Price+Auld Total NHL careers

GP-364-W-149-L-143-T-2-OTL-44-SO-12

S%-.907-GAA-2.78-P%-.509

I'm very worried about our goaltending. I was much happier when we had Dan Ellis instead of Auld. At least Ellis could step in and be the #1 when Price has a meltdown.

Price still has to prove that he's worth a 5th overall pick and that he can be a #1 goalie in the NHL. He's had 3 years to lock down the #1 job and he couldn't get it done....that worries me a lot!!!

My prediction is that Price will play decent, he will still let in weak goals at important times of a game, he'll get frusterated and eventually say something to the media that he will regret. People have a lot of faith in Price, for whatever reason I don't know....but I think he still has a long ways to go before living up to his 5th overall hype.

Its gonna be a long season with these 2 in nets. Auld is terrible. If we make the playoffs, I'll be very surprised.

Old
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
ReVeuF

Not sure if Price and Auld will deliver, consistency is my big question mark next season between the pipes. I hope Price will be great and not allow a weak goal per game next season.

Old
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Ignoring that we don't even have the #1 guy signed.... a lot of question marks, I say. Habs will overpay Price. I like Price and think he has shown flashes of being a credible 60-game guy and quality starter. But it's still just flashes. He has shown flashes of inconsistency and concentration lapses too.

Auld was pretty awful and was waived last year, wasn't he? I think we overpaid for him. It's not a big deal, since whether you have him at $1M or $500k, it's not really much of a cap impact. He did have better moments a few years back with the Sens, however. I don't know if it's realistic to think he can get back there at his age. Apparently you can't really do better than him for character and intangibles, etc. Which is nice. But it really makes us dependent on Price coming through.

A whole bunch of unncessary risk in the goalie position, I say. It could very well work out. But we didn't need to take a position that really was "one of the best tandems in the league" and turn it into something with serious question marks.

Old
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ignoring that we don't even have the #1 guy signed.... a lot of question marks, I say. Habs will overpay Price. I like Price and think he has shown flashes of being a credible 60-game guy and quality starter. But it's still just flashes. He has shown flashes of inconsistency and concentration lapses too.

Auld was pretty awful and was waived last year, wasn't he? I think we overpaid for him. It's not a big deal, since whether you have him at $1M or $500k, it's not really much of a cap impact. He did have better moments a few years back with the Sens, however. I don't know if it's realistic to think he can get back there at his age. Apparently you can't really do better than him for character and intangibles, etc. Which is nice. But it really makes us dependent on Price coming through.

A whole bunch of unncessary risk in the goalie position, I say. It could very well work out. But we didn't need to take a position that really was "one of the best tandems in the league" and turn it into something with serious question marks.
Last year was a risk IMO....this year, it seems more clear in my mind. Auld is a career back up and the only gamble here is if Price fumbles...I say it's a good gamble. Auld hopefully will give the team a chance to win everytime he is in net.
With hard work and focus, Price will shake the monkey off his back.
I also don't put to much on Price not being signed yet and I'm even more upbeat because no offersheet was signed.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Perrah

What qualifies as solid for you? Apparently a playoff run and half a good year makes goalies elite these days, and turns other teams into cup contenders.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-29-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
prevail

Price will bounce back from last year, and play very well, not "Halak playoff" well but still good.

Auld is a good goalie and I'm willing to bank money that he will thrive in Montreal, for some reason we always have a tendency of making goalies playing good here. I think it has something to do with the ghosts

Old
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
What qualifies as solid for you? Apparently a playoff run and half a good year makes goalies elite these days, and turns other teams into cup contenders.
Solid means you don't have to worry about goaltending. It's no secret that Price has had issues with concentration and pressure has gotten to him (perhaps rightfully so) on many an occasion. I wouldn't deem him solid yet as he hasn't proven anything.

I never called Halak elite and still don't think he's elite. Why is Halak even brought up? Some people just can't have a discussion about Price without bringing up Halak. Halak is on another team now, lets stop talking about him!!!

Also, please don't downplay Halak's contributions...he's always played well with the team.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

So many what have you done for me lately posts around here. Price is a solid starter, not a superstar but he had many great games this last season. I remember early in the year when the Habs were getting dominated, he won 3 or 4 all games on his own. I also remember a game against Pittsburgh the year before where he was absolutely bombarded with shots and it was one of the most dominating performances I have ever seen by a Hab. The game against Nashville last year where he lost was incredible as well.

Sure Halak had a great playoff but he also was pulled in 3 games and had some mental breakdowns of his own, we would have beaten Washington in less than 7 had he not fell apart in game 2. Remember us trying to get into the playoffs last year at the end of the season, Halak wasn't exactly stellar either when we needed 1 or 2 points to clinch.

I have been watching hockey for a long time and recognize potential when I see it, Price will be a star in this league one day and it would be foolish to trade such a young talent.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
So many what have you done for me lately posts around here. Price is a solid starter, not a superstar but he had many great games this last season. I remember early in the year when the Habs were getting dominated, he won 3 or 4 all games on his own. I also remember a game against Pittsburgh the year before where he was absolutely bombarded with shots and it was one of the most dominating performances I have ever seen by a Hab. The game against Nashville last year where he lost was incredible as well.

Sure Halak had a great playoff but he also was pulled in 3 games and had some mental breakdowns of his own, we would have beaten Washington in less than 7 had he not fell apart in game 2. Remember us trying to get into the playoffs last year at the end of the season, Halak wasn't exactly stellar either when we needed 1 or 2 points to clinch.

I have been watching hockey for a long time and recognize potential when I see it, Price will be a star in this league one day and it would be foolish to trade such a young talent.

No he is not a solid starter. A solid starter gives his team a chance to win everygame....not lose his concentration and blow the game for his team like Price done most of the time last season with his team deflating soft goals allowed.

Halak getting pulled had nothing to do with him being rotten....it had everything to do with trying to wake the team up by switching goalies and giving Halak some rest since he seen 40+ shots a game!!!! Halak gave the Habs a chance to win every game he played in. Halak single-handedly lead the Habs to the playoffs and won the Cap and Pens series' all on his own. If it wasn't for Halak winning games all season long, we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Price played almost the same amount of games and he didn't have near the same amount of wins as Halak. And Halak was also 8-0 in games where he seen over 40 shots....thats an incredible stat right there. I don't remember Price being able to do that!!

Everybody can see the potential in Price, but he still hasn't come close to putting it all together and being the goalie his potential says he should be. He might be great in 2 or 3 more years, but he might also be terrible in the next 3 years and never play in the NHL again....it can happen.

People need to be realistic and realize that Price may never find his groove in Montreal. He may never be able to handle the constant pressure of Montreal. Halak showed all last season that he could handle anything that was thrown his way. We should have traded Price and kept Halak. We could have gotten more for Price and we could have kept a solid #1 goalie instead of handing the job back to the guy who lost the #1 job in the first place.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post

LOL...When you face 40+ shots a game, with the puck in your zone 70% of the time, and your team actually allows teams to take shots rather than block them...then you will have games when teams drop 5+ goals on you.

This is something I hope changes next year. Stop creating more work for your goalies. This team needs to be more aggressive instead of this soft, passive style Martin likes.

Closed Thread