vCash: 500
stick to watching wrestling

Old
08-01-2010, 04:22 AM
netminder17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Niemi stepped up and won a cup and played amaizng in games when everyone else choked like Toews and Kane.

Pavelec would have choked when everyone else choked at the same time. I don't think I've ever seen Pavelec legitly steal a game. Game in Montreal doesn't count IMO especially when forwards shot it right into his chest and people over exagerate and act like Pavelec made great saves lol.

Hopefully Mason steals the spotlight with 30 wins.

Niemi was awared 2.75 I believe.

Oh, hello.

Old
08-01-2010, 09:13 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Gionta should be embarassed for not raising that puck. Can't believe we had so many lucky wins last year with Pavs in net.

Maybe we could just give them Pavelec and a 4th rounder for Niemi. Even give them Aliu back

Pavelec took 1353 shots against over 42 games while Niemi played 39 games and only took 936 shots against thanks to his relatively cushy defense.

Ondrej only finished .006 pts behind Niemi in save percentage.

I don't know where you're getting this "NIEMI IS CLEARLY BETTER THAN PAVELEC" idea but please stop

Old
08-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post

Pavelec took 1353 shots against over 42 games while Niemi played 39 games and only took 936 shots against thanks to his relatively cushy defense.

Ondrej only finished .006 pts behind Niemi in save percentage.

I don't know where you're getting this "NIEMI IS CLEARLY BETTER THAN PAVELEC" idea but please stop
His stanley cup ring says hello.

Old
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Perhaps, but same goes for Chris Osgood, who lost his job to Jimmy Howard, and Nikolai Khabibulin. Furthermore, Matt ****in' Cullen won himself a ring while Ovechkin's got none either.

I'm of the impression that any goalie can catch fire at any time- Tuukka Rask getting the job really helped because it was at an opportune time when TT was floundering. Edmonton 2006, even. How that team kept going and forced a game seven has to give some credit to Jussi Markkanen.

I'm not saying Niemi isn't talented, but to flat out say he's going to be a better goaltender than Pavelec will ever be is, rather short sighted.

I do realize that past Pavelec, we do have some talented G prospects, but I think he has some really good talent and hopefully won't Kari Lehtonen his way out of here. Also, my girlfriend thought he was cute. Imagine the marketing possibilities!

Old
08-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Juzmo
late april

vCash: 690
Quote:
Well it tells you that he could make enought saves that a very very good team could win a Stanley Cup. Not saying it's easy on any team, but imo not the best factor when comparing goaltenders when you look at the team's strategies last season when our goal was to let a million shots on net. I like Antti Niemi as a goalie and what he has done, but in all honesty for now I will go with the four year younger goaltender which we signed for two years at a good price. Niemi also has weaknesses and imo not a whole lot better than Pavelec, but it's hard to compare them when playing in totally different teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Also, my girlfriend thought he was cute. Imagine the marketing possibilities!
This.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I don't get how people are telling me different when it's very clear as day that Niemi is superior than Pavelec. I t's an opinion but also clear. Niemi's Stanley Cups says hiiiii. Than Pavelec tries to say hi back with his ahl cup and we all laugh LOL.

I think we should target Niemi the free agent. Give him 3 years 3 mil per and trade Pavelec for a 5th rounder.

Niemi
Mason

can you say set in goal for 3 years?

Old
08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I think White trade is for making room for Max. I say we sign him for 2 years 2.5 per

Old
08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
I think White trade is for making room for Max. I say we sign him for 2 years 2.5 per
1 yr and i'd do it...i've explained it before, but i dont want to take the chance of having 'bad max' clog up a roster spot in 2 years, especially with room hopefully needed for Burmi & Klingberg, etc in the top 9.

Old
08-02-2010, 12:34 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I really wish we could have a "Brashear Placed on the glass Rod of Failures" thread, after all the headaches he's caused us in the past....

Old
08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

There will be room for Burmi and Klingberg next year even if we sign Max at 2. This will be Slater's last run as a Thrasher, probably same with Thorburn. Klingberg will replace one.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
There will be room for Burmi and Klingberg next year even if we sign Max at 2. This will be Slater's last run as a Thrasher, probably same with Thorburn. Klingberg will replace one.
Slater's got 2 years left on his deal, so not yet.

Quote:
I don't get how people are telling me different when it's very clear as day that Niemi is superior than Pavelec. I t's an opinion but also clear. Niemi's Stanley Cups says hiiiii. Than Pavelec tries to say hi back with his ahl cup and we all laugh LOL.

I think we should target Niemi the free agent. Give him 3 years 3 mil per and trade Pavelec for a 5th rounder.

Niemi
Mason

can you say set in goal for 3 years?

Old
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Niemi's Stanley Cups says hiiiii.
I love this argument, when people use team accomplishments in a team sport to justify their belief that one player or another is better. I'm just going to leave this here:

Trent Dilfer has a Suber Bowl ring as a quarterback. Dan Marino does not. Therefore, Dilfer is the better quarterback of the two.

Old
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
I love this argument, when people use team accomplishments in a team sport to justify their belief that one player or another is better. I'm just going to leave this here:

Trent Dilfer has a Suber Bowl ring as a quarterback. Dan Marino does not. Therefore, Dilfer is the better quarterback of the two.
Its not even that, Its the fact the guy carried his team to the cup, and won it. What has Pavelic done? Stole a game against Montreal? Upside might be on Pavelic due to age, but this was Niemi's first year in the NHL. And he was one of the main reasons the Hawks won the cup.

Right now, I take Niemi over Pavelic.

Old
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Its not even that, Its the fact the guy carried his team to the cup, and won it.
Carried his team? He had a .910 save percentage and a 2.63 GAA in the post season. I wouldn't call that carrying a team, especially with the number of high-scoring games the Blackhawks won. He was the goaltender of record for the wins, but certainly didn't do it single-handedly.

Old
08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Juzmo
late april

Quote:
Its not even that, Its the fact the guy carried his team to the cup, and won it. What has Pavelic done? Stole a game against Montreal? Upside might be on Pavelic due to age, but this was Niemi's first year in the NHL. And he was one of the main reasons the Hawks won the cup.

Right now, I take Niemi over Pavelic.
Well he carried his team in some games and made the saves needed. And again look at the teams infront of them... Niemi gave up a whole lot of rebounds and is far from perfect like Pavelec, but his team mostly got to them first. If he was so important why didn't Chicago pay him 2.75 million and then trade Sharp or somebody else? Right now I would also take Niemi (though not at 2.75M), but I'm not that certain he will be the better goaltender in the future behind a team like Atlanta as in not a SC contender but a team possibly making the playoffs.

Last edited by Juzmo: 08-02-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old
08-02-2010, 03:41 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

I don't think Max will re-sign. But who knows. I rather expect we will make another trade. Maybe with Chicago again - Jonathan Toews for Slater, Valábik and Ramsay's collection of ties

Old
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Juzmo
late april

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
I don't think Max will re-sign. But who knows. I rather expect we will make another trade. Maybe with Chicago again - Jonathan Toews for Slater, Valábik and Ramsay's collection of ties
I don't know if I would do that. Those are some fancy ties.

Old
08-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Go sign Marek Svatos to a 1-year deal at 1.2 mil.

The 2010-11 version of Afinogenov.

Old
08-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Go sign Marek Svatos to a 1-year deal at 1.2 mil.

The 2010-11 version of Afinogenov.
i wouldnt be oppossed to it...although i still really like Owen Nolan as an option..can play either wing, 1st-3rd lines when and where needed, gritty and a great vet presence, would love to see what Kane and Ladd could learn from him.

Old
08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Sound familiar?
There's a difference. Niemi is a very good goalie with a cup. Dilfer was a very horrible quarterback that won because of his team.

Old
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 719
Quote:
There's a difference. Niemi is a very good goalie with a cup. Dilfer was a very horrible quarterback that won because of his team.
So Seabrook, Keith(Won Norris THIS year), Campbell, Hjalmarsson, and Sopel isn't a very good defense? Toews and Hossa aren't very good 2-way players? Since when is giving up 5 goals, 4, 5, and 4 goals in six Stanley Cup games make you a very good goalie?

Old
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
So Seabrook, Keith(Won Norris THIS year), Campbell, Hjalmarsson, and Sopel isn't a very good defense? Toews and Hossa aren't very good 2-way players? Since when is giving up 5 goals, 4, 5, and 4 goals in six Stanley Cup games make you a very good goalie?
shhh...dont let facts get in the way of ASF's agenda

Old
08-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Shameus

Keep it on topic. Argue the point, not the poster. That goes for both sides!

Old
08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Guess who got put on Waivers? Tim Kennedy.

Closed Thread