HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leblanc signs entry-level contract + will play in the Q

Old
08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
euhh im as french as anyone here....

im making stuff up now ? his coach/GM with the Juniors Pascal Vincent said in a radio interview that if the habs didnt sign him to an ECL contract, the chance of him coming to the juniors were slim
Didn't stop him from signing in the Q before. We're not talking of an arbitrary rule here. We're talking of a human choice. Why do no other news outlet talk about the Junior in the same sentence as his pro contract? Because they have nothing to do with each other, other then Leblanc's wants before signing. They still make it very blurry, and like always, it seems on purpose.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I can see you aren't French. Read the sentence as it's supposed to be read in French and the lines become blurry as to with whom this pro contract is signed.

And he could sign in the Q without a pro/habs contract, and he did so as he signed his Q contract before his pro contract. Stop making stuff-up.
Ozy, I often agree with your ideas but I'm french and my french is excellent and the sentence is perfectly written and not misleading at all. You are the one trying to read more into it. There is a coma to separate the 2 ideas and there is no word to link the 2 ideas like "par consequent c'est dans l'uniforme du...".

That article by RDS is fine and well written.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Ozy, I often agree with your ideas but I'm french and my french is excellent and the sentence is perfectly written and not misleading at all. You are the one trying to read more into it. There is a coma to separate the 2 ideas and there is no word to link the 2 ideas like "par consequent c'est dans l'uniforme du...".

That article by RDS is fine and well written.
"et c'est" the "et" sets the link for the two ideas. It's as much a conjunction in French as "par conséquent".

Also, it is not clear, as they are talking about two seperate things and do not add to the reason these two are linked.

What if I were to tell you "I met someone on Friday, and this week I have a date with Jane."

Are you gonna conclude the girl I met on Friday was Jane?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
"et c'est" the "et" sets the link for the two ideas. It's as much a conjunction in French as "par conséquent".

Also, it is not clear, as they are talking about two seperate things and do not add to the reason these two are linked.

What if I were to tell you "I met someone on Friday, and this week I have a date with Jane."

Are you gonna conclude the girl I met on Friday was Jane?
No, not at all. It clearly could be 2 separate things; meeting someone and having a date. the "and" does not create a link between the 2, it's just to continue the phrase. You could have said you met someone on Friday and went to the store on Saturday and there is no link between the 2 ideas. "Par conséquent" or "therefore" creates a link between the 2 ideas. This is exactly why the french in Quebec is terrible. People don't even get the basics anymore and the french in Quebec is not a language but a slang, so many things wrong in what we say or write...

As I said, my french is excellent and I do not feel like getting into a debate over this, but trust me here, the sentence is fine and it is how you read it and interpret it that there is a problem.

"et" does not authomaticaly create a link between 2 ideas.

Besides, although the Q is not a professional league, 1) he did sign a pro contract and 2) he is going to play in the Q. There is nothing wrong in the sentence as it is stating these 2 facts.

And if you want to go even deeper into this, there is a small link between the 2 ideas because he is playing in the Q only becfause he signed that 3 year contract, otherwise he would have stayed in Harvard.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
No, not at all. It clearly could be 2 separate things; meeting someone and having a date. the "and" does not create a link between the 2, it's just to continue the phrase. You could have said you met someone on Friday and went to the store on Saturday and there is no link between the 2 ideas. "Par conséquent" or "therefore" creates a link between the 2 ideas. This is exactly why the french in Quebec is terrible. People don't even get the basics anymore and the french in Quebec is not a language but a slang, so many things wrong in what we say or write...

As I said, my french is excellent and I do not feel like getting into a debate over this, but trust me here, the sentence is fine and it is how you read it and interpret it that there is a problem.

"et" does not authomaticaly create a link between 2 ideas.

Besides, although the Q is not a professional league, 1) he did sign a pro contract and 2) he is going to play in the Q. There is nothing wrong in the sentence as it is stating these 2 facts.

And if you want to go even deeper into this, there is a small link between the 2 ideas because he is playing in the Q only becfause he signed that 3 year contract, otherwise he would have stayed in Harvard.
You see it as two seperate ideas because you knew about his contract with the Junior. From someone who reads this without further knowledge, this person will conclude that is contract with the Habs makes him play with the Q.

It is not fine as just a few words would make the sentence clear. It's a fine sentence if you're on a forum, but for a news article, it's flimsy and makes one wonder the motives behind such a particular phrasing. Why not just seperate the two?

Et is a conjunction, it creates a link between two parts of a sentence. If you are expressing two different ideas, than you will have two seperate sentences, if these two ideas have a link, then it's one sentence.

Also, we're talking of something particular here. He signs a contract with a professional team, then one would conclude that the rest of the sentence will talk of the team he signed with, no?

AS for the last thing you said, this does not make it right either, because then why not explain the link rather than just giving a cryptic associated reference to it? A news outlet's job is to clearly layout facts. This isn't clear at all as it can be left to many interpretations. Also, Leblanc signed with the Junior before he did with the Habs. Even if the Habs contract was only a formality and that Leblanc was waiting for that formality to go sign with the Junior, why not mention this? It's not like it's a paper thing where there is limited space.

Go read all the other French web news outlet, and all of them are very clear. None of them have such a weird sentence.

Go check RC.ca

"Louis Leblanc a signé un contrat de trois ans avec le Canadien, a annoncé le Tricolore vendredi.

L'attaquant ne jouera donc plus à l'Université Harvard, puisqu'il a en poche un contrat professionnel. Il poursuivra son apprentissage dans la LHJMQ, avec le Junior de Montréal, qui avait acquis ses droits des Saguenéens de Chicoutimi au dernier repêchage du circuit Courteau."

Yahoo.ca

"C'est le directeur général de l'équipe, Pierre Gauthier, qui en a fait l'annonce vendredi. Les détails financiers de l'entente n'ont pas été divulgués.

À la suite de cette signature, Leblanc a affirmé qu'il se joindrait au Junior de Montréal dans la Ligue de hockey junior majeure du Québec pour la prochaine saison. L'équipe montréalaise avait acquis ses droits des Saguenéens de Chicoutimi lors du dernier repêchage."

RDS lacks professionalism, and it's not the first time. They sound like second rate journalists.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 08-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Yes. They did not appeal because they had no grounds to appeal. No CHL team owns his rights, so he can not play in the CHL next year.

It's Habs or Bulldogs for him. Probably Bulldogs unless he as an amazing camp.
Sounds like they did in fact appeal, according to the juniors coach at least.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Sounds like they did in fact appeal, according to the juniors coach at least.
I had read somewhere that it was a closed case, but the article is a while ago and must have been wrong.

That article (which I don't remember where I read) + Mathias Brunet's article about Avstin not going to the Q is why I wrote this.

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...ine-ou-la-lnh/

Old
08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Louis Leblanc at the WJC camp

Leblanc is playing on a line with (2011) Sean Couturier and (FLA) Quinton Howden

also per Steve Dangle, Leblanc finnish 1st in the team fitness test ahead of Stefan Elliot and Tyler Seguin

Last edited by JeromeHP: 08-05-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: thanks vokiel lol
JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
it appears Leblanc is playing on a line with (2011) Sean Couturier and (FLA) Quinton Howden

also per Steve Dangle, Leblanc finnish 1st in the team fitness test ahead of Stefan Elliot and Tyler Seguin
... Leblanc is playing on a line with (MTL) Sean Couturier and (FLA) Quinton Howden ...

Fixed that dream for you

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
... Leblanc is playing on a line with (MTL) Sean Couturier and (FLA) Quinton Howden ...

Fixed that dream for you
lol yeaa that make more sense now...

here the link to some of the line they had yesterday at pratice

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...nior-camp.html

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
katatoniak

Would be nice if he continue playing with Couturier and Howden ..... I guess they would be the defensive trio ..

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
markov`

Quote:
That's just great.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Leblanc is playing on a line with (2011) Sean Couturier and (FLA) Quinton Howden

Isn't that an advantage of going to Harvard

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:

sweet, LeBlanc is a beast. imagine these centers

S couturier
L eller
L leBlanc
The Scell line

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:

Great to hear.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur77 View Post
as per Mitch Gallo twitter account:

http://twitter.com/MitchyGallo

Louis Leblanc will play with the Montreal Juniors next year. An announcement will be made shortly.

If it's true its a good news.
LOL I wonder if it's the same Mitch Gallo I went to high school with, doesn't seem like a common name at all and I sent him a message on facebook to see.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL I wonder if it's the same Mitch Gallo I went to high school with, doesn't seem like a common name at all and I sent him a message on facebook to see.
He's on the Team 990 once in a while

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:42 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Would be nice if he continue playing with Couturier and Howden ..... I guess they would be the defensive trio ..
defensive trio? isnt Couturier supposed to be the #1 next year?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
defensive trio? isnt Couturier supposed to be the #1 next year?
Well, if Seguin is there and they keep the line of the article, looks like it could be the third line.

Old
08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Well, if Seguin is there and they keep the line of the article, looks like it could be the third line.
They won't keep those lines...they are 44 at this camp...a lot of them will not play for team Canada in December...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
They won't keep those lines...they are 44 at this camp...a lot of them will not play for team Canada in December...
oups, didnt saw they were 44 ... kinda read the article very fast

Old
08-06-2010, 05:16 PM
parachutist

TSNRyanRishaug:
2 goals for leblanc in 1st period at jr summer camp. Skinner looks spectacular. 5 minutes ago via UberTwitter

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
TSNRyanRishaug:
2 goals for leblanc in 1st period at jr summer camp. Skinner looks spectacular. 5 minutes ago via UberTwitter
Any videos of his goals?

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:46 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
Any videos of his goals?
Not yet. Maybe tonight on tsn if we're lucky.

Pierre Mcguire said he hasn't had a great camp so far and has to get better.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
Not yet. Maybe tonight on tsn if we're lucky.

Pierre Mcguire said he hasn't had a great camp so far and has to get better.
McGuire woulda drafted Shroeder, right?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote