HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Marek Svatos

Old
07-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Marek Svatos

Hey Avs fans I come in peace.
I have heard that NSH is possibly interested in Marek Svatos.
What do you all think of him? Why has his numbers been going down?
Thanks for your time!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Thanks for your time!
Plays hard...needs change of scenery really bad....if he came even halfway close to his production in his rookie year, you could call the acquisition a "win" for the preds....It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could bounce back....the guy does give effort.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
electricjib

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
Plays hard...needs change of scenery really bad....if he came even halfway close to his production in his rookie year, you could call the acquisition a "win" for the preds....It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could bounce back....the guy does give effort.
Exactly. He seems to have lost his confidence. He was able to find it again in game 6 of the playoffs though and scored this beauty, I couldn't believe my eyes, I was sure he was going to fumble the puck or get decked by someone...

He is possibly one of the hardest workers, has decent speed and good stickhandling at times when he's playing well. He's most dangerous suprisingly in front of the net though off rebounds and sneaky screen shots. He's still one of my favorite players and wish him the best! He's a really nice guy and it's unfortunate he just doesn't really fit with the current team. 2 years ago I was for sure he was a top 6 liner on this team in the future but he just got a few bad injuries and the unfortunate luck of the roster growing with him.

Given the right enviornment and chemistry he can be very dangerous though. He could be a good fit for Nashville...possibly with Lombardi?

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
He is possibly one of the hardest workers, has decent speed and good stickhandling at times when he's playing well. He's most dangerous suprisingly in front of the net though off rebounds and sneaky screen shots. He's still one of my favorite players and wish him the best!
100% correct there.

Just food for thought - the season where Svatos scored all the goals (2005-2006) was also Rob Blake's last season with the Avs. The Avalanche have not had a good shot from the point ever since. The majority of Svatos goals came from rebounds, tips, etc...(junk goals)

Nashville would be a great situation for him to play with Weber.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:51 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
If he gains some confidence he could easily be a 25-30 goal guy.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:26 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
If he gains some confidence he could easily be a 25-30 goal guy.
I don't see it anymore. I think injuries have done him in. He no longer has that extra jump he used to have. He's still pretty quick at times, but he lacks that extra bit he used to have.

His hands have gone south on him in a bad way. He fumbles every pass, he doesn't deke anymore and when he does try it doesn't work, and his shot isn't even accurate anymore.

I like Marek as a person, but I think his time in the NHL is done. He could still be a good player in Europe though.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:49 PM
zech
@zech_de

svatos is a good talent with great speed and decent hands but he needs a star to center him because he simply has no playmaking abilities.

i always liked him but his days in denver are counted.

zech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Golden Foppa

I wouldn't say he plays hard. He often looks like he is coasting out there and is one of the softest players (physically) on the ice.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
I wouldn't say he plays hard. He often looks like he is coasting out there and is one of the softest players (physically) on the ice.
He plays his tail off most of the time. That doesn't mean he's that good. He's a liability in his own end and is knocked off the puck with ease. However if he's playing with a good set up man, he is deadly around the other teams net. Kind of like Patric Hornqvist.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

He has a sweet toe-drag.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think posters in this thread are way too positive. Svatos is simply not a good NHL player. What made him initially effective isn't there anymore. He is slower, has worse balance and has more problems getting a shot off then he did at the start of his career. Injuries have ruined his game.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:27 AM
hughdreamz

Marek could be a good 3rd liner, but nothing better than that. His future looked so bright then he turned just average. He's kind of quick, has a pretty good shot, but is injury proned. If a team was to sign him it would have to be some where in 750,000-900,000

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Marek could be a good 3rd liner, but nothing better than that. His future looked so bright then he turned just average. He's kind of quick, has a pretty good shot, but is injury proned. If a team was to sign him it would have to be some where in 750,000-900,000
Problem is, 3rd line NHL players are often asked to play responsible defense.

I believe that Svatos' only future in the NHL, is on a really good team that can use him like Detroit used Holmstrom early in his career: 4th line guy with lots of PP time.

Other than that, I don't see it.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Marek's skill set is very narrow, and unfortunately, it makes him a less than versatile player. If he's not in your top 6, he's not in the right spot for his abilities, and if he is in your top 6, he needs to be surrounded by more broadly abled players. He can't make the magic on his own.

That being said, he hustles every shift, and never looks like he's coasting. He's as soft as they come, but he's always buzzing around.

Despite his small size, agility, speed, and stickwork, Svatos is far from a sniper. He can't put one up top with a quick snapshot to save his life. As has already been mentioned, his goals are deflections or screened shots. Unfortunately, he's not very well built for the territory in front of the net where such garbage-goal scorers set up. He gets knocked around very easily, and, contrary to logic, the best possible situation for the opposing team to be in is for Svatos to get the puck on a breakway. Without fail, Marek will pull a decent move, fumble the puck, trip over himself, and go skidding into the boards, resulting in a beautiful turnover. Based on his shootout performances last year (I believe he was our most reliable shooter in 09-10) though, I'd say it's a confidence issue more than a skill issue. It's almost like he's been burned enough times taking too long to set up his shots, that he gets flustered whenever he has to carry the puck, and tries to do too much too quickly, and he messes himself up.

All in all, I really like Svatos, it just wasn't working here. His career has taken a similar arc as Wolski's, but where Wolski became too comfortable and complacent to give his all, Svatos became too uncomfortable and nervous to be as effective as his ability allows him to be. I don't know if he has any lingering physical effects from his (relatively numerous) injuries, but mentally, you can tell that he's burned out. It's a shame, really, in the right set-up, he could really flourish. Nashville I could see being a decent fit. Or maybe even Atlanta. In my opinion, I think Svatos needs to be the resident "soft" guy on a gritty, tough team. The Avs aren't particularly soft, but their physical game is a non-factor. The team is almost all energy and quickness, when you're the smallest guy on that team, you're going to get your bruises. I wish Marek the best, preferably out of conference.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Ulic

Quick hands and feet made him effective before but he has lost that. He is still one of my favorite players, even though he hasn't done much for quite a while now.
He never seems to be able to get the puck into the zone. His foot speed can't get it done and his hands can't keep the puck. Even the softest stick check will shake the puck off him.

I think he could still be effective with the right linemates, but he would need a good bit of ice time to get a consistent game back. He still has the battle though. Can be quite a nasty little fellow.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Adama0905

I still remember the fight he had last year and saying "wow, Marek Svatos just reminded me of how completely useless Koci is..."

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
DinnerMints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I don't see it anymore. I think injuries have done him in. He no longer has that extra jump he used to have. He's still pretty quick at times, but he lacks that extra bit he used to have.

His hands have gone south on him in a bad way. He fumbles every pass, he doesn't deke anymore and when he does try it doesn't work, and his shot isn't even accurate anymore.

I like Marek as a person, but I think his time in the NHL is done. He could still be a good player in Europe though.
Just from playing hockey all my life it sounds to me like the majority of his issues are caused by a lack of confidence, maybe stemming from injuries but I think he's far from done in the NHL...But as far as his future in COL..done

DinnerMints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Freedom Elz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Thanks for your time!
He's small, injury prone, and extremely one dimensional.

But he's good in shootouts.

Freedom Elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Elz View Post
He's small, injury prone, and extremely one dimensional.

But he's good in shootouts.
Elz, IMO the dude is worthless unless he's within 10 feet of the net. Actually, change that to "...within 10 feet of the front of the net". Anywhere else on the ice, he's not worthwhile.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I still remember the fight he had last year and saying "wow, Marek Svatos just reminded me of how completely useless Koci is..."
Wow.
That sentence just blew my mind.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:49 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Rumors are now floating around he could sign with Pittsburgh. Could he succeed with on a line with Sid and Kunitz?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
jaisen73

If he signs a very low 1-year it could be a good move for Pittsburgh. I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought that maybe a team in rebuild mode would pick him up as a stop-gap (Islanders, Wild, etc.) but a contender like the Penguins are always looking for depth.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Marek used to be one of my favourite players. He was a fearless, crazy guy that reminded me of a Theo Fleury-lite without the whole...drugs and sexual abuse thing. When he first came out he made defenders look stupid with very soft hands, quick feet, and a tenacity to his play that we hadn't seen in a while. Unfortunately, several injuries later it seems everything that made him special has been sapped from him. His shot no longer has that snap and accuracy, he's lost a lot of his speed, his hands have turned to stone on him, really unfortunate.

I think his best option would be to sign with a team like Pittsburgh, with established stars, or really any team with a good setup man. I think his best days were when he had Turgeon and Blake on the team, a guy to get him the puck and a guy that would cause rebounds in front for him.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:44 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Rumors are now floating around he could sign with Pittsburgh. Could he succeed with on a line with Sid and Kunitz?
I think he'd be a better fit with Malkin to be honest.

Sid seems more of a give and go type player, a guy who likes to work down low in the corners. Malkin likes to hang on to the puck for longer stretches and Marek needs someone like that to create time and space for him to get open in the slot.

Either way, it's not a bad risk for you guys if it's really cheap. Just don't get your hopes up. It could work out, but don't be surprised if it doesn't and he's a healthy scratch by December.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:24 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think he'd be a better fit with Malkin to be honest.

Sid seems more of a give and go type player, a guy who likes to work down low in the corners. Malkin likes to hang on to the puck for longer stretches and Marek needs someone like that to create time and space for him to get open in the slot.

Either way, it's not a bad risk for you guys if it's really cheap. Just don't get your hopes up. It could work out, but don't be surprised if it doesn't and he's a healthy scratch by December.
Agreed, Malkin might work really well with him, kind of a super Arnason, lol. Wonder who theyd put at lw on that line...

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote