HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How often do you score bar down goals?

Old
08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Dangler99*

vCash: 500
How often do you score bar down goals?

When you play hockey?

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:44 AM
noobman

Goalies at the low level are pretty good with their gloves and blockers, but are terrible down low and often fail miserably at lateral movement.

I've been robbed blind by bad goalies enough by going high-glove to know that a hard, low shot is often the way to go

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Dangler99*

I love getting bar down goals but I rarely get them cause there hard.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Very rarely. Most of my goals are top corners or low just above the pads. Not counting pickup, I'd say maybe 3 of the 35 goals I've scored were bar down, so 8%?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
mooseOAK*

Scored one last weekend over the goalie' shoulder off the bottom of the crossbar and in, first in a long time though. I had just made a turnover the play before that ended up in a goal so there was a little bit of anger in the shot.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler99* View Post
When you play hockey?
My bread and butter shot is high glove side, my 2nd favorite is a blocker side back hand, so most of of the real slick ones have always been post and in. I try to go bar down on my last few shots in warm ups to see where my accuracy is at the end, but in games it's usually rare compared to post and in shots.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I usually aim low blocker, but when I shoot high, it usually doesn't go bar down. Either straight in, bar out, or over the top.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

i actually had 2 last night.

the first one was taken from between the hash marks and the right dot. the "D" gave me enough time to get set and i shot it right beside the goalies head, and it just nicked the bottom of the bar.

the second one, i was coming down the left wing. i was thinking pass, but i fumbled it a bit getting into the left circle. i was just below the circle, about 3 ft to the goalies left when i dug the puck out from next to my right heel. near corner, right above the goalies shoulder and off the bar. the other team was impressed as well. i didnt admit luck until i got to the bench. haha.

going high is my comfort zone. thats the majority of my goals. a few tip ins and rebounds here and there, but im more of a shooter.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Devil Dancer

Rarely. Most of my goals are between the leg pad and the blocker. That's a gaping hole on most goalies at my skill level.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had a weird goal in our last league game (championship loss....UGH). Coming in off the rush, 1-on-2, and I shot from the top of the circle and went post and in near side, even though the goalie was hugging the post. It was a lot like the Patty Kane Cup winner, nobody saw it go in but me, but near side instead of 5-hole. Very strange.

Old
08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Rarely. Most of my goals are between the leg pad and the blocker. That's a gaping hole on most goalies at my skill level.
Same here. Go up high and you get robbed, low you just hit pads. Middle and close to the goalies body, there is a spot that most goalies in my league seem to never be able to save.

If I had better aim, I could have led the league since everyone just tries to dangle for goals haha

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's a bad stat, in 24 games last year I had 85 shots but only 6 goals for a measly 7% shooting percentage.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Razzmatazz

Well, my elevation is usually right on, but about 73% of the time, it pegs the goalie between the eyes .

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:29 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Here's a bad stat, in 24 games last year I had 85 shots but only 6 goals for a measly 7% shooting percentage.
Maybe you should try passing that puck a little more!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nah I'm the only guy on the team that shoots

Although I had a career high 10 assists last year. Yay me.

Actually I did have a 17% shooting percentage in summer league and 13% for the home stretch/playoffs, after a long drought. In the middle of the year I had a really bad slump where I got away from my game.

Old
08-05-2010, 03:06 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Nah I'm the only guy on the team that shoots

Although I had a career high 10 assists last year. Yay me.

Actually I did have a 17% shooting percentage in summer league and 13% for the home stretch/playoffs, after a long drought. In the middle of the year I had a really bad slump where I got away from my game.
Wow, you keep some pretty serious stats on yourself for beer league!

As for the OP, I rarely score bar down goals, I score most of my goals from roughly the hash marks/face off dots out to about the top of the circle, and generally go with wristers or snap shots about a foot or 2 off the ice. From this distance I feel that goalies can generally save the high shots, but the mid height ones are tougher for them, plus if there's traffic the lower shots have a better chance of getting through. I like going high on breakaways, but have never been super speedy, so don't get in alone on the goalie that often.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:45 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I should be selling cookies the way I ring those doorbells.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like to track my performance/progress, so after each game I put down my stat line (goals, assists, points, PIM, +/-, and shots).

Old
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Islander102

I got one a couple of weeks ago, a game winner with a few minutes left, and it felt nice. As was said already though, shelf isnt how youre going to beat most goalies one on one. 5 hole or in between the leg pad and the blocker/glove are where most goalies are vulnerable. There are only a few scenarios where I try to shelf it. If I head fake the goalie into thinking I am going lower and he drops down early, or if I am receiving a cross ice pass, the goalies usually can get across the ice alright, but dont cover the top of the net in doing so. Or if I play a left handed (right catching) goaltender. Which is pretty rare, but when I do, I snipe it up there regularly from the left wing My last bar down goal was against a lefty.

Other than that, yeah, try to go right over the leg pads or five hole. Its the last thing goalies in beer leagues learn to stop. They try the hardest on glove and blocker saves, and their reflexes down low are much worse. Shelf goals are the most fun to watch yourself score, but if thats all youre going to shoot for, it wont happen too often, unless youre playing in a league you shouldnt be playing in.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I almost never score 5-hole. Just about all the goalies in my league are butterfly goalies, so the best way to score seems to be one-timers (because they don't have fast lateral movement) or rebounds (they don't move around well on the ice). I've also had success getting close and freezing the goalie by doing a shoulder dip/leg kick/head fake and then just jamming the puck into the net from the crease as they anticipate a deke.

The 5-hole thing worked great though playing against old guys who never dropped into butterfly. Skate up, fake forehand to backhand and tuck it 5-hole as they moved across the crease.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

Not many...most of mine are either low to the blocker side or glove side or about mid-range on either side, depending on which side I'm rushing...my favorite move is the Messier move of shooting from the off-wing to the far side, though I do switch it up the odd times by going short side or five hole.

Not sure why that ended up being my favorite, but for some reason even if the goalie comes out to cut down the angle and I can't see the net, I can still manage to find it most times. I'm more of a shooter than a dangler, even from when I was younger, so I guess I just developed my shooting sense a little more..

ATHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

When I was playing competitively, about 1 in 8 goals went in off the crossbar, usually near side about 6 inches from the post from around the hash marks. I didn't have a great slapshot compared to the rest of my game, but my wrister and snapper were pretty sick. I usually shot low though, since my coach wanted me shooting a lot and it's better for the team if I shoot low to generate rebounds. Most of my goals went five hole.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
deanosaur

it's not a goal unless its bar down

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:13 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
it's not a goal unless its bar down
And you don't score unless you're playing NHL 10.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

On shootouts/Breakaways/penelty shots, I deak forhand, and backhand it glove side (Im a lefty shot)

On regular shots, I shoot to the left or right side, about 2-3 inches above the pad.

I only go high on 1-timers.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote