HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexandre Picard signed by Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
  #126
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov` View Post
sorry, didn't knew that. guess the cover up for carle part doesn't make too much sense then.
Maybe it does. What if Picard > Henry > Carle?

Another possibility is that having a 7th experienced NHL D-man, plus Subban, might allow for us to trade Hamrlik IF....a decent deal develops. Long shot, I know, but again depth is about giving you options and protecting against longshot trouble.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
  #127
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Anytime you can sign a dman with NHL experience to a 2 way deal, you're a winner. This adds depth in case we get hit by the injury truck.

We could basically have 4 injuries on D at the same time and still not be forced to play guys that have absolutely no business being there. By my count we have the regular 6 (markov, subban, gorges, gill, spacek and hammer) and the reserve dudes (O'byrne, Picard, Weber and Carle). Provided that Weber and Carle are still with us come october.
I always felt nervous when injuries struck and Martin had to use MAB at D for minutes a game.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
  #128
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,545
vCash: 500
Alexandre Picard?! The former Bolt? Are we trying to form the Montreal Lightning?? Come on...

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 06:45 AM
  #129
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
I'm ok with this pick-up.

With Markov out possibly from the beginning of the season, we need a depth guy. Who know when Markov is back we could be missing another blueliner. Especially left handed point shot for the PP.

I also I dont see problem with Picard taking spots from our "own" young guys. As a left shot, hes not in direct competition with Subban/Weber there. Carle is different type of player anyway in pro levels. If anything more competition is better, those guys know they must now outplay him.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
  #130
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
How is Picard's shot?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
  #131
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
How is Picard's shot?
Think MAB... without the shot.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:49 PM
  #132
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Think MAB... without the shot.
He actually has a good shot, and some size too. He was bad with the Sens but he still has some upside.

And he's better than Carle/Weber.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
  #133
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
He actually has a good shot, and some size too. He was bad with the Sens but he still has some upside.
He's young at least (25). Even MAB got better so perhaps there is hope for Picard to get average/decent.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
  #134
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
I remember playing against him in Junior and he was awesome. Him and Jurcina were a rock-solid pair on the blueline; maybe the best pairing in the whole league.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:49 PM
  #135
The Chef*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
How is Picard's shot?
Decent. Doesn't have a cannon slapshot like MAB.

His wrist shots somehow manage to find the net. He doesn't put a whole lot of speed into his shot but 4/5 times will somehow find the net through legs and sticks.

But he's just so stupid when it comes to defending. He's just not that good.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
  #136
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Decent. Doesn't have a cannon slapshot like MAB.

His wrist shots somehow manage to find the net. He doesn't put a whole lot of speed into his shot but 4/5 times will somehow find the net through legs and sticks.

But he's just so stupid when it comes to defending. He's just not that good.
So, like everyone suspected, he's a 6'2 nowhere near the shot Bergeron has, but might as well be called Bergeron 2.0 in the defensive zone ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:55 PM
  #137
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,812
vCash: 500
Good 2nd pp unit player but prone to HUGE brain cramps...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
  #138
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdashery View Post
LOL - Barry Richter? I'm reminded more of Daryl Edestrand.
To me, I definitely see the potential for him to be a poor man's Miloslav Guren.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
  #139
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,734
vCash: 500
Much anticipated Picard compilation ()


Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:00 AM
  #140
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So, like everyone suspected, he's a 6'2 nowhere near the shot Bergeron has, but might as well be called Bergeron 2.0 in the defensive zone ?
Oh give me a break, he's not as bad as Bergeron as a defender. It's not just brain cramps that were the problem with MAB, it was the fact he was continuously being outmuscled and was probably the worst for outworking the opponent for the puck in the corner. Every time there was a race for the puck in the corner MAB wouldn't even bother because he knew he would be beaten. Just the fact that Picard has good size gives me hope. I'm wagering he'll be on par with what Mara gave us, and as a seventh D i'll take that.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
  #141
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Good 2nd pp unit player but prone to HUGE brain cramps...
Just looked at his pro stats. Most productive year was in AHL 38 points and minus 8. He's a 215 pounds with 28 PIM. Why are we thinking he can make it with the Habs? Why would we look at him over a prospect like Carle or Weber?

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
  #142
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Just looked at his pro stats. Most productive year was in AHL 38 points and minus 8. He's a 215 pounds with 28 PIM. Why are we thinking he can make it with the Habs? Why would we look at him over a prospect like Carle or Weber?
Depth. Why make carle or weber play 7th d?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
  #143
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Depth. Why make carle or weber play 7th d?
I think this is Carle's year to make it or not. I believe it is his fourth year as a pro, he can not be sent down without waivers, there is not much more development for him to get with the Dogs and unless he has a horrible training camp he will stay with the Habs as the extra D of course unless he gets injured again. Not the case for Weber, he will be with the Dogs and see if he can rebound from a so, so season last year. That will leave the Habs with 7 Dmen before Markov returns.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:35 PM
  #144
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
I think this is Carle's year to make it or not. I believe it is his fourth year as a pro, he can not be sent down without waivers, there is not much more development for him to get with the Dogs and unless he has a horrible training camp he will stay with the Habs as the extra D of course unless he gets injured again. Not the case for Weber, he will be with the Dogs and see if he can rebound from a so, so season last year. That will leave the Habs with 7 Dmen before Markov returns.
Yes its Carle's 4th year so he will need to clear waivers to be sent down, as will Picard and Henry. I would think all of them would pass no problem. I don't think Carle will stick with the Habs this year unless Markov isn't ready by October, since the 7 D should be Markov, Subban, Hammer, Spacek, Gill, Gorges and O'B.

Picard is a good guy to have around as the 7th D if Markov is out longer, since he can sit and it won't hurt him, whereas Carle, he has to play since he missed so much time in the past 2 years.

Now the Habs do need to get a look at what Carle can do, but even if Markov isn't ready, you still have O'B, who should be a regular. I would guess that the plan is to have Carle and Weber getting a lot of ice time with the Dogs this year. Picard just gives them depth in case injuries hit hard. I still expect Carle to see some games with the Habs over the course of the year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
  #145
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yes its Carle's 4th year so he will need to clear waivers to be sent down, as will Picard and Henry. I would think all of them would pass no problem. I don't think Carle will stick with the Habs this year unless Markov isn't ready by October, since the 7 D should be Markov, Subban, Hammer, Spacek, Gill, Gorges and O'B.

Picard is a good guy to have around as the 7th D if Markov is out longer, since he can sit and it won't hurt him, whereas Carle, he has to play since he missed so much time in the past 2 years.

Now the Habs do need to get a look at what Carle can do, but even if Markov isn't ready, you still have O'B, who should be a regular. I would guess that the plan is to have Carle and Weber getting a lot of ice time with the Dogs this year. Picard just gives them depth in case injuries hit hard. I still expect Carle to see some games with the Habs over the course of the year.
Don't see Carle getting any better with the Dogs, agree with Weber. He's got to show them he's ready and not a couple of games like last year, which he played ok, and then replaced him with Leach. He needs a good look so they can decide. By the way does that make Picard filling the same role as Mara did last year?

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
  #146
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Don't see Carle getting any better with the Dogs, agree with Weber. He's got to show them he's ready and not a couple of games like last year, which he played ok, and then replaced him with Leach. He needs a good look so they can decide. By the way does that make Picard filling the same role as Mara did last year?
Perhaps Picard will be in the role that Mara was in, but since he signed two way I suspect they might have him more in mind for Hamilton. If Markov is good to go in October, then I expect Picard to be in the AHL, baring any trades.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
  #147
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Perhaps Picard will be in the role that Mara was in, but since he signed two way I suspect they might have him more in mind for Hamilton. If Markov is good to go in October, then I expect Picard to be in the AHL, baring any trades.
Being injured and on the bench?


Seriously Picard is not that bad on defense, i mean he's not good but he's not MAB

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
  #148
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
Being injured and on the bench?


Seriously Picard is not that bad on defense, i mean he's not good but he's not MAB
Not sure of MAB's stats but for parts of 4 seasons in the NHL Picard had 57 points to go with a minus 33.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
  #149
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Not sure of MAB's stats but for parts of 4 seasons in the NHL Picard had 57 points to go with a minus 33.
-19 on the 06-07 Flyers... Jeff Carter was -17.

-9 with the 07-08 TB...Lecavalier was -17 along with 92pts..

Playing on bottom dwellers teams with no goalie can be hard on your +/- especially if you are a bottom pairing D.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.