HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niemi gets $2.75 million; UPD: Hawks Walk-away

Old
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan84 View Post
"With the way I understand things" is a question?
Anyhow how does it work? Who if any party put in the 2.75m as a bid?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibson Cup View Post
Anyhow how does it work? Who if any party put in the 2.75m as a bid?
One, both or neither, who knows.

And it does not matter since it is up to the arbitrator to come up with the salary - he is not constrained by what the parties propose.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
OKAY I'll say this one last time? When was the last time Luongo, Miller and Lundqvist won a SC?

Now once again back on topic. If Chicago keeps Niemi their cap problems thickens.
There is not one way to win the Stanley Cup. Just because a team can win a cup without a highly paid goaltender doesn't mean otherwise. Ducks won the cup with a 4M goaltender. Pittsburgh won with a 5M goaltender.

Who's to say that having more depth is better than having a better goaltender? You I suppose, and that's something that can't be proven definitively.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
The 5m just happened when he signed the extension. Who was last BIG UFA the Canucks have signed?
Who says the Canucks need to sign a BIG UFA? The fact that they're one of the top teams in the league and have their core locked up for a long time shows that having Luongo in the fold hasn't exactly been a hindrance.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
State of Hockey

If I were Bowman, I'd look to a roster without Niemi. Swing a deal with another team if you have to. Then grab Turco.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Going forward as a GM, I'd rather have Niemi and Versteeg than Patrick Kane.

I'd also rather have Ladd and Byfuglien than Hossa.

Hossa and Kane are awesome elite players, but I think Chicago is doing too much to justify their top players, and not enough to maintain a great team in the future.

Five years from now when Kane is getting only 10pts a year more than Versteeg, Hossa is declining (or nearly done), and Chicago is struggling in net, what are they going to do?

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post

Hossa and Kane are awesome elite players, but I think Chicago is doing too much to justify their top players, and not enough to maintain a great team in the future.

Five years from now when Kane is getting only 10pts a year more than Versteeg, Hossa is declining (or nearly done), and Chicago is struggling in net, what are they going to do?
I actually agree with this. Kane and Hossa are definitely elite players, but in the new NHL it seems depth is so important. if another team's D are able to shut down top players like Kane and Hossa, your depth guys can make such an impact against the team's weaker D pairings.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
JUICEY*

Quote:

OMG. Worst post I've ever seen.

Kane will be getting only 10 pts a year more than Versteeg?

Worst idea I've read so far.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:11 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

these are the posts i love, thinking outside of the box creatively, and i basically agree as well

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
HartforHoss

Quote:

FAIL.

Could Ladd turn into a player of Patrick Sharp's quality? It's certainly possible. Could Byfuglien be the next Tomas Holmstrom? At least for the 2010 playoffs he certainly looked like it. Could Versteeg develop into an elite winger? It could happen. But would you rather have any of these players or Niemi than two of the leagues top forwards right now? Not a chance!

You would basically trade two top caliber guys for a bunch of IF's. And if those IF's materialize into IS's, you can bet they'll be commanding more coin than Hossa or Kane 5 years from now! Epic Fail!

The Hawks have done a fantastic job this offseason, shedding the IF's and keeping a core group that will be a contender for the foreseeable future. It's for this reason I doubt Niemi will be back with the club next season, given the cap situation. I think it's equally if not more likely that Victor Stalberg is withing 10 points of Versteeg in five years than Kris with Kane.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
I actually agree with this. Kane and Hossa are definitely elite players, but in the new NHL it seems depth is so important. if another team's D are able to shut down top players like Kane and Hossa, your depth guys can make such an impact against the team's weaker D pairings.
LOL do you realize that a couple of seasons ago, players like Byfuglien, Versteeg, and even Bolland & Brouwer were all questions marks, and Sharp was not a known commodity before coming to Chicago (he was traded for Matt Ellison!). Chicago has a bunch of prospects like Skille, Bickell, Dowell, Beach, Makarov, and others who are gonna step in the lineup in the next couple of years and fill in nicely to complement the core star players. How so? Because Chicago's core is a group of winners, unlike teams like Vancouver and San Jose, who have a core bunch of losers and choke artists (7uongo, Sedin sisters, Kessler, Burrows....Thornton, Heatley).

And you do realize that the Hawks got even more draft picks and prospects for the players they traded away this summer, right?

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
ChitownChris

^^^^^^^ This (two up-Seabizzket)

ChitownChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Are you serious?

Seriously ,,,,

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabizzket View Post

FAIL.

Could Ladd turn into a player of Patrick Sharp's quality? It's certainly possible. Could Byfuglien be the next Tomas Holmstrom? At least for the 2010 playoffs he certainly looked like it. Could Versteeg develop into an elite winger? It could happen. But would you rather have any of these players or Niemi than two of the leagues top forwards right now? Not a chance!

You would basically trade two top caliber guys for a bunch of IF's. And if those IF's materialize into IS's, you can bet they'll be commanding more coin than Hossa or Kane 5 years from now! Epic Fail!

The Hawks have done a fantastic job this offseason, shedding the IF's and keeping a core group that will be a contender for the foreseeable future. It's for this reason I doubt Niemi will be back with the club next season, given the cap situation. I think it's equally if not more likely that Victor Stalberg is withing 10 points of Versteeg in five years than Kris with Kane.
Hawk fans don't agree. shocker.

I think his point is that it could make a lot of sense to sacrifice one elite guy for 2 or maybe 3 important depth guys. and I agree with that.

Old
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah, I think Toxo makes a good point, after coming down from my initial shock at reading his post.

No one's saying Kane and Hossa are declining right this second and are scrubs, but it's interesting to think of.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
LOL do you realize that a couple of seasons ago, players like Byfuglien, Versteeg, and even Bolland & Brouwer were all questions marks, and Sharp was not a known commodity before coming to Chicago (he was traded for Matt Ellison!). Chicago has a bunch of prospects like Skille, Bickell, Dowell, Beach, Makarov, and others who are gonna step in the lineup in the next couple of years and fill in nicely to complement the core star players. How so? Because Chicago's core is a group of winners, unlike teams like Vancouver and San Jose, who have a core bunch of losers and choke artists (7uongo, Sedin sisters, Kessler, Burrows....Thornton, Heatley).

And you do realize that the Hawks got even more draft picks and prospects for the players they traded away this summer, right?
I don't understand why you're being so hostile. my post was pretty neutral. just stating an opinion.

and to me it just shows a lot of ignorance when you call SJ and Canuck players "losers" and "choke artists".

I'm not going to say anything else. your opinion is your own.

Old
08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
JUICEY*

I guess Penguins should trade Malkin. This way they can have way more depth.

Red Wings should trade Datsyuk so they can have awesome depth.

Capitals should trade Backstrom too. They need defense and depth.

Sorry, you don't trade your elite talent. It's just idiotic.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
How long does Chicago have to accept or reject the contract?? Thought it was 7 days but I can't remember.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:15 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

So, what is the deadline for Bowman to accept? Tomorrow morning?

I don't think he's going to. He's smart enough to recognize the merit of getting a top-6 d-man like Morrisonn or Sutton for 1-1.2, and signing Turco at the 1.5 number that's been tossed about. You can't repeat as Cup champions with John Scott in your top-6.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
How long does Chicago have to accept or reject the contract?? Thought it was 7 days but I can't remember.
48 hours I believe. I think they've said they'll announce their decision tomorrow.

Old
08-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

you know the Teams named Toronto Maple Leafs (not after the TD) and Calgary Flames (2009-2010)
they have had GREAT Depth, but only 1 elite Forward... look what they have done

I take Kane over Niemi + Versteeg every day of the week... without a doubt.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEY View Post
I guess Penguins should trade Malkin. This way they can have way more depth.

Red Wings should trade Datsyuk so they can have awesome depth.

Capitals should trade Backstrom too. They need defense and depth.

Sorry, you don't trade your elite talent. It's just idiotic.
there's been talk about Semin being moved for D-men. that would be trading elite talent. it's not out of this world ridiculous.

Malkin being moved has been tossed around these boards before too. but I don't think there have been any real-world rumours on that one.

Old
08-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
there's been talk about Semin being moved for D-men. that would be trading elite talent. it's not out of this world ridiculous.

Malkin being moved has been tossed around these boards before too. but I don't think there have been any real-world rumours on that one.
Semin isn't an elite talent

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Lesmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Semin isn't an elite talent
Semin is an elite talent for sure!

Lesmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

I'm on the fence about this post, on the one hand I think your Kane suggestion is absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

On the other hand, I fully agree with keeping Byfuglien+Ladd in favor of Hossa. I actually think that's a really smart point. Couldn't you get tons of return trading Hossa anyways? You've got Kane and Toews leading the way, isn't Hossa more of a luxury that's better served spending that space on all the key depth players that lead to the team's success?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote