HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niemi gets $2.75 million; UPD: Hawks Walk-away

Old
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
passive voice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
It looks like Niemi's agent cost his client:
1) a starting gig on the Stanley Cup champs
2) money

He should have known the Hawks would do this, and taken their offer, I'll assume it was something like 2 years $4.2 million.

Now Niemi will get perhaps a 1 year $1.5 mil. deal on a lesser team. Without Chicago's great D covering up his "rebound problem", he won't look as good, costing him more money in the future.

Way to go agent, you stupid butthead. You're supposed to make money for your client, not cost them their job and money.
srsly. Niemi might as well hire me; I could get him no job and no money for a fraction of what Zito charges.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Hawkaholic

Niemi should come back to Chicago for what he made last year and try it all over again. Only this time, he can be a UFA right away instead of going to arbitration and wasting time.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Phenomenon

Niemi´s options to continue in NHL are quite limited, so I am looking forward to see huge offers from KHL teams for his services.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:20 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

The Islanders will sign him.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:44 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
The Islanders will sign him.
for 10 years...

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Finnpin

Not sure is this already here but Zito says that 5 teams called him on monday and 2 on tuesday about Niemi. Zito thinks that Niemi will probably get more than 2 contract offers...

Link in Finnish and the story was taken from USA Today:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/t/nhl/2232579

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Not sure is this already here but Zito says that 5 teams called him on monday and 2 on tuesday about Niemi. Zito thinks that Niemi will probably get more than 2 contract offers...

Link in Finnish and the story was taken from USA Today:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/t/nhl/2232579
Of course he will keep saying that there are many offers, it wouldn't look good saying that there aren't any or just one. Drive the price up this way, until they call his bluff and they end up settling for much less.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

I have a gut feeling the Isles are in this.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
pistolpete31

I am trying to give a link but its not letting me, Oilers are in rumors with Niemi.

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
It looks like Niemi's agent cost his client:
1) a starting gig on the Stanley Cup champs
2) money

He should have known the Hawks would do this, and taken their offer, I'll assume it was something like 2 years $4.2 million.

Now Niemi will get perhaps a 1 year $1.5 mil. deal on a lesser team. Without Chicago's great D covering up his "rebound problem", he won't look as good, costing him more money in the future.

Way to go agent, you stupid butthead. You're supposed to make money for your client, not cost them their job and money.
All good points.

Players may now think twice before taking their agents advice about going to arbitration, just for a few more bucks. If you've got game, sign for 1 - 3 years and your huge payday will follow, every single time.

This also shows that the salary cap is working.

Chi likely would not have won the Cup with Huet. They won it w/ Neimi, but they could have also won it it with several other Neimi-level goalies. You'd think he (& his agent) would have known that...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

I know its not the greatest source but ************* is reporting the Isles will offer Niemi a contract over the next few days. ha its even blanked out, apparently i missed something.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
I have a gut feeling the Isles are in this.
Same. I think they realize they need a contingency plan for DP heading into the future..... and likely don't have a high level of confidence.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
for 10 years...

or they'll wait until he signs elsewhere and trade the 2nd overall pick for him.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Totti Goal

Maybe the Islanders sign Niemi and then flip Rolo back to the Oilers. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but Eklund has mentioned the Islanders and Oilers are in trade talks. Something like a Roloson for Cogliano package could make sense.

PatientlyWaiting has posted he's heard Snow is after a top six winger and that the Islanders would be willing to take Souray if they could nab Hemsky.

Roloson, Hillen, Comeau/Joensuu, second and third rounders for Hemsky and Souray?

Oilers would probably say no to that. Guessing they'd ask for one of Hamonic/CDH and the Isles would say no.

Last edited by Totti Goal: 08-04-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Totti Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:33 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti Goal View Post
Maybe the Islanders sign Niemi and then flip Rolo back to the Oilers. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but Eklund has mentioned the Islanders and Oilers are in trade talks. Something like a Roloson for Cogliano package could make sense.

PatientlyWaiting has posted he's heard Snow is after a top six winger and that the Islanders would be willing to take Souray if they could nab Hemsky.

Roloson, Hillen, Comeau/Joensuu, second and third rounders for Hemsky and Souray?

Oilers would probably say no to that. Guessing they'd ask for one of Hamonic/CDH and the Isles would say no.
Oilers will not trade Hemsky for anything less than a 1st round pick/top propect +.

I also highly doubt we take Roloson back. We have 3 goalies that would have to clear waivers to be sent down so we already have a problem there. And if they were looking for a goalie Id just as soon sign Niemi who could possibly be around when the Oilers are ready to contend.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Totti Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Oilers will not trade Hemsky for anything less than a 1st round pick/top propect +.

I also highly doubt we take Roloson back. We have 3 goalies that would have to clear waivers to be sent down so we already have a problem there. And if they were looking for a goalie Id just as soon sign Niemi who could possibly be around when the Oilers are ready to contend.
To be clear just threw out the Hemsky trade proposal in regards to PatientlyWaiting's post about the Oilers having some interest in Roloson. It was posted on another Islanders forum and I wanted to get some feedback.

Totti Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
TOML

The Hawks are the first team since... the Habs with the balls to walk away from their 'star' goaltender.

Wow. In saying that, it kinda makes it all sound pretty insignificant, doesn't it?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:35 AM
0range and Black

Without Halak and Niemi, neither team may have made it out of the first round last year.

I would call removing them highly significant.

Chicago may have the 4th best goalie in their own division.
Montreal may have the 4th or 5th best goalie in their division.

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
The Hawks are the first team since... the Habs with the balls to walk away from their 'star' goaltender.

Wow. In saying that, it kinda makes it all sound pretty insignificant, doesn't it?
It's not unheard of.

Detroit walked away from Mike Vernon after winning the cup in '97. Vernon also won the Conn Smythe that year, too.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:41 AM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range and Black View Post
Without Halak and Niemi, neither team may have made it out of the first round last year.

I would call removing them highly significant.
I think we can stop with the hyperbole here.

Niemi didn't play particularly well against Nashville. The Hawks were in trouble until Campbell came back and the Hawks could stretch out two of Nashville's defensive pairings.

bhawk24bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk24bob View Post
I think we can stop with the hyperbole here.

Niemi didn't play particularly well against Nashville. The Hawks were in trouble until Campbell came back and the Hawks could stretch out two of Nashville's defensive pairings.
Bottom line Niemi had an excellent season with 7 shutouts in 39 starts. With more starts he could have led the league.

As bad as he played against Nashville - he did the job. But let's not forget he played extremely well against the Sharks. Ultimately he won a cup by playing very well. He's 26 and proved he's an upper echelon goalie in the NHL.

The Hawks are banking on Turco, who in his prime was a good tender, to have one more good year. They'll use the savings to sign another dman or forward. But to suggest the Hawks won't miss Niemi is really understating his contribution.

Hawks won the cup for the first time in a long time and are going to miss more than Niemi - they'll miss the toughness sent to Atlanta and the spark that went to Toronto - as well as the depth lost to FA. Should be an interesting season but I suspect the Habs will regret the loss of Halak and the Hawks will start to feel the pain of losing some very good players. You can add the Flyers to the list of teams next year that will be wishing they invested a bit in a proven goalie.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Hawks won the cup for the first time in a long time and are going to miss more than Niemi - they'll miss the toughness sent to Atlanta and the spark that went to Toronto - as well as the depth lost to FA. Should be an interesting season but I suspect the Habs will regret the loss of Halak and the Hawks will start to feel the pain of losing some very good players. You can add the Flyers to the list of teams next year that will be wishing they invested a bit in a proven goalie.
And the Canucks will walk away with the Cup. That is what you are thinking aren't you.

Last edited by EmeticDonut: 08-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.
EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
How can the Flyers not be interested in Niemi?
I can't believe that the Islanders haven't jumped on this yet.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
AKM83
Chomp. Chomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
How can the Flyers not be interested in Niemi?
I can't believe that the Islanders haven't jumped on this yet.
This. IMO, Niemi would be ideal for them. He should be able to put up great numbers behind their stacked D, just like in Chi.

AKM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
And the Canucks will walk away with the Cup. That is what you are thinking aren't you.
Nope - not a Nucks fan - although they do look very solid. I'm a Wellwood fan.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote