HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 117: Silva vs Sonnen

Old
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I think Roy Nelson will surprise everyone.
Really? I don't think he has a ghost of a chance against a very fast and strong hitter like Dos Santos.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Really? I don't think he has a ghost of a chance against a very fast and strong hitter like Dos Santos.
He's such a sleeper. NO ONE takes him serious. He's got some definite skill and if he just puts his fat on top of Dos Santos, he can beat him down as we've seen him do before.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
alexthekidd

Anderson Silva (c) vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title) (5 points)
Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch (2 points)
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson

PRELIMINARY CARD (1 point)
Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
The Rage

MAIN CARD
Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson[/I]

Last edited by The Rage: 08-06-2010 at 07:03 PM.
The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:39 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
He's such a sleeper. NO ONE takes him serious. He's got some definite skill and if he just puts his fat on top of Dos Santos, he can beat him down as we've seen him do before.
I can definitely see this happening,although Dos Santos has faced a strong grappler in Gonzaga,I think Big Country is a better striker.If Dos Santos keeps the fight standing,its lights out for Roy!

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Roy Nelson must become Heavyweight Champion of the world one day. He must!

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:17 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
I can definitely see this happening,although Dos Santos has faced a strong grappler in Gonzaga,I think Big Country is a better striker.If Dos Santos keeps the fight standing,its lights out for Roy!
Stefan Struve and Brendan Schaub would say otherwise. No, I'm not saying Nelson is the better puncher but the lights out part is just not true. Again, everyone underestimates his stand up game. His two UFC fights have been knock-outs.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I think Morecraft is going to surprise everyone.
I need to learn more about him before I can pick that fight.
Quote:
I think Roy Nelson will surprise everyone.
I thought a while on that, and as much as I like him, I just dont see it as the likely result. And going with cool chances over likely results burned me...

08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I've heard alot of rumblings about Hallman finally being 100% for the first time in years.....

If you think this fight is easy to call I think you might be selling Hallman a bit short. I'm leaning towards Killa B but I think Hallman could suprise a few.
Yeah I don't know, I've heard the 'best shape of my life' quote a few too many times to take it seriously. He was in control of the fight with John Howard though and should've probably won if it didn't get stood up at the end, so he's still competitive with mid-level guys. He could have a shot, I just see him losing, getting cut, and Dana talking about how good the 'new school' guys are. I probably like Saunders a bit more than most though.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
m9

I kind of like Nelson in the fight too. I have to think about it a bit more, but he definately has a shot.

Morecraft has the size to give Struve trouble too, him winning wouldn't really shock me.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:15 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I need to learn more about him before I can pick that fight.

I thought a while on that, and as much as I like him, I just dont see it as the likely result. And going with cool chances over likely results burned me...
I really like the way the guy fights. He's got a Barnett look and style about him. He'll take whatever finish the other fighter gives him.

If Buentello had been in better shape Struve would have already been cut imo.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Yeah I don't know, I've heard the 'best shape of my life' quote a few too many times to take it seriously. He was in control of the fight with John Howard though and should've probably won if it didn't get stood up at the end, so he's still competitive with mid-level guys. He could have a shot, I just see him losing, getting cut, and Dana talking about how good the 'new school' guys are. I probably like Saunders a bit more than most though.
I know think that person is going to lose when they say that. Ortiz Syndrome.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
m9

Quote:
I really like the way the guy fights. He's got a Barnett look and style about him. He'll take whatever finish the other fighter gives him.

If Buentello had been in better shape Struve would have already been cut imo.
Struve's UFC losses have been to Nelson and Dos Santos.. the two guys in the #1 contenders fight this weekend. I don't think he's about to get cut, he's still extremely raw and young. I think the UFC will be patient with him regardless of what happens this weekend.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Stefan Struve and Brendan Schaub would say otherwise. No, I'm not saying Nelson is the better puncher but the lights out part is just not true. Again, everyone underestimates his stand up game. His two UFC fights have been knock-outs.
Dos Santos hits much harder then both of them and has that one punch capability IMO

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
DaaaaB's

MAIN CARD
Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Struve's UFC losses have been to Nelson and Dos Santos.. the two guys in the #1 contenders fight this weekend. I don't think he's about to get cut, he's still extremely raw and young. I think the UFC will be patient with him regardless of what happens this weekend.
Completely agree. 5 years from now Struve will be one of the best HWs in the world, the UFC will be very patient with him.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Completely agree. 5 years from now Struve will be one of the best HWs in the world, the UFC will be very patient with him.
Alright, I guess I see something different.

Personally I see a guy who has never been able to beat anyone with a decent record(who hasn't been owned by a UFC reject), except a questionable win against Buentello that not only could have gone the other way but Paul wasn't even in his best form.

Also not saying that losing to Dos Santos and Nelson is a bad thing at all, but 93 seconds combined....

He was also signed because of a 5 fight that consisted of 2 under .500 opponents 1 he beat twice, and 2 guys that couldn't get past Eddie Sanchez.

I can see why you'd like him though, huge at 6'11 hasn't even filled out or reached his potential and could sub you out from a lot of different places.

Old
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
m9

Quote:

Personally I see a guy who has never been able to beat anyone with a decent record(who hasn't been owned by a UFC reject), except a questionable win against Buentello that not only could have gone the other way but Paul wasn't even in his best form.

Also not saying that losing to Dos Santos and Nelson is a bad thing at all, but 93 seconds combined....

He was also signed because of a 5 fight that consisted of 2 under .500 opponents 1 he beat twice, and 2 guys that couldn't get past Eddie Sanchez.

I can see why you'd like him though, huge at 6'11 hasn't even filled out or reached his potential and could sub you out from a lot of different places.
His competion pre-UFC was definately questionable, but he did look pretty good for the most part at a very young age. I thought he clearly won vs. Buentello.

Skills wise, I love his ground game.. but he needs worlds of work in the striking department. I don't know if he has any power, and he really needs to use his range better by utilizing kicks.

I don't see him as a future top five guy, but then again I would've never seen Fabricio Werdum as one with his limited skillset. He's going to be a guy who has problems with strong and powerful heavyweights, but can finish off mid-tier guys for now.

Old
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I don't see him as a future top five guy, but then again I would've never seen Fabricio Werdum as one with his limited skillset. He's going to be a guy who has problems with strong and powerful heavyweights, but can finish off mid-tier guys for now.
This is the thing I see changing in the coming years, thus vaulting him into legit top 10 HW material. The guy is just a kid, that big frame will fill out and when it does he's gonna be very dangerous.

I think people overlook the kids age when judging him, to do what he's doing at such a young age is an accomplishment in itself. I think he's got a very bright future. It should be noted that I thought Brandon Vera was the future of the 205 division though, so really, what do i know?

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:

You're not the only one. I don't see anything special in Struve, there's no strong point in his game that makes me think he'll be anything other than a C level or B level fighter at best. He looked really sloppy against Buentello who's barely a top 50 heavyweight.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
You're not the only one. I don't see anything special in Struve, there's no strong point in his game that makes me think he'll be anything other than a C level or B level fighter at best. He looked really sloppy against Buentello who's barely a top 50 heavyweight.
Fighting at 6'11 and not cutting weight before fights is the dumbest thing i've seen in MMA, the guy look like a gigantic little girl.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
m9

I would say Struve's sub game is definately very strong. He has a lot of work to do on the rest of it. He definately needs to get his weight up to compete in the UFC, it'd be interesting to see if he's gained much weight since he started competing a few years ago.

All of that aside, I've found all of his fights very entertaining for one way or another.

Old
08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
kurt
the last emperor

What's the age difference between Struve and Dos Santos? And could Struve at his height really cut to 205?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
m9

I think Dos Santos is 25-26 and Struve is 22-23.

No way can Struve cut down to 205. He needs to add bulk and stay at HW.

Old
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
I think Dos Santos is 25-26 and Struve is 22-23.

No way can Struve cut down to 205. He needs to add bulk and stay at HW.
I misunderstood Maxpac's post. I suppose he meant that he should be bulky enough that he has to cut to get under 265... not that with his lanky frame he should be trying to cut to 205, haha.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote