roster speculation

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 05:06 PM
glenjackson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
And yes I know, I would like to get Choido or Munro this year but they're not going to come easy. I just have a hard time believing in wasting a draft pick for nothing. A 3rd rounder mind you. Both of our 3rd rounders that year turned out to be busts.
Well, most teams end up "wasting" most draft picks. Most guys just don't work out.
Check out the Editor's Notebook of this week's THN (p. 6). San Jose was the only team that was built mostly of draft picks in the final 4. They had 14, 10 via trade and 1 FA. The next highest was Calgary and Philly who had just 6 from draft, and most from trade. Tampa had 14 from trade, 5 from draft. True, all those traded players were likely drafted by another team at some point.

Anyhow, I like your passion for the Wild. Good to have someone who does so much research keeping DR and staff honest

Old
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
That's not how most people see it GJ...

I just am worried that Bouchard won't gain weight and will end up as an AHLer, Foy never getting exactly healthy, us having to find someone to replace Gaborik when he is injured, Dupuis if he leaves...

and San Jose, Calgary, Philadelphia, and Tampa have continually gone to the playoffs along with Ottawa.

You look at a team like Columbus and you go...wow...

Old
05-29-2004, 06:15 PM
ceber

Couldn't you worry the same things about the Blue Jackets, though? What if Nash really holds out for huge cash next time around, and the Jackets won't pay? What if Zherdev breaks his leg and is never quite the same afterwards? What if they never find a coach who can consistently win with those guys?

I see what you're getting at, I really think I do, but I guess I don't see how the Wild are sitting much differently than any other team in the league in that respect. There's got to be a couple glasses around that are half-full and not half-empty, right?

Old
05-29-2004, 06:24 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
You could worry about the Jackets (like they really do need a freaking coach) but at least they will have some players that might step it up if they are in the minor leagues.

Well the Wild aren't going to have much of a farm team next year at all. Seriously.

The thing the Jackets, the Thrashers, and the Preds did were they drafted some OAs but they also stock piled draft picks just in case.

The Wild have huge gaps in between their development teams because guys supposedly coming in from the 2002 draft and maybe some trades to their farm teams (like the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks) are 'supposedly' going there now so they have some replacement and see where they are going.

But the Wild have...Harding, Erickson, Brust, and we didn't have a fourth (traded to LA) but Berzins then. Tyulyapkin, Eckerblom, Brandner, and Hannula, I'll give you as iffy guys and by that time, good players we gone but...

I agree in 2000 we should've drafted a few overagers to play but then in 2001 really draft some young guys and have them go to our farm in 2002 or this year so they develop...

Old
05-30-2004, 01:20 AM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I'll agree with you here Cech - however, he also has great potential as a forward as well, which seems a shame to give up - where do you think he'd be most valuable 3-5 years from now?
That is a good point (forward vs. defense) and a good question.

Personally, I'm a little suspect of his overall finishing ability, which IMO hurts him much less as a d-man. Of course I haven't seen him play that many games (36+ preseason), he's a young kid, etc. so that could all change. I just find it odd that the best displays of his shot I ever saw last year was when he was playing defense, not forward. I also think that's when I saw him play the most offensively dangerous all year. It's sad that his ability to take the puck up the ice, pinch, and play the point on the PP were (arguably?) the best of any current or previous Wild defenseman.

I freely admit it's a tough call to make objectively after only viewing "one" season's worth of play from a teenager.

I'm pretty much going on a hunch (trusting Lemaire's opinion & my perspective of Burns based on last season...forgot to mention he's a righty), plus the fact that d-men play more minutes.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Fan.At Send a message via MSN to Fan.At
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I think Brandner's probably done. I guess you never know, but I would be surprised if he was happy playing in Houston, and I just dont' think he consistently showed that he could hang around up here. Again, anything can happen, especially if he gives it another shot in training camp.
Brandner expressed his desire to try it once more. Especially with Pöck and Vanek also probably playing in the NHL next year he wants to show that he is up to the job.

Nothings decided yet, but every hockey fan in Austria would love to see him getting a second chance.

Old
06-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
In an article in a Swedish paper, Holmqvist says he's been promised to play in the NHL next season. He said that he and Roloson were to split time. How likely is this really?

http://www.arbetarbladet.se/GDsport/...el=ISHvinj.gif

EDIT: Fixed link, it's in Swedish though..

Last edited by Seiza: 06-01-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old
06-01-2004, 03:33 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Ummm, that link doesn't work but yeah I'm guessing he knows something about Fernandez, we don't know about?

Old
06-01-2004, 08:37 AM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Ummm, that link doesn't work but yeah I'm guessing he knows something about Fernandez, we don't know about?
Interesting. Or he was just promised a chance to compete for the backup job and misunderstood or something, but if he is being quoted then I doubt that he would not say something he was not sure of.

Old
06-01-2004, 08:53 AM
ceber

Yes, interesting. A full translation would be cool. Anyone got the time and knowledge?

Old
06-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Seiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Yes, interesting. A full translation would be cool. Anyone got the time and knowledge?
I can translate the important parts tomorrow if that's okey? I'm off at work now, don't want to do it in my spare time.

Old
06-01-2004, 11:02 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I can translate the important parts tomorrow if that's okey? I'm off at work now, don't want to do it in my spare time.
Whatever you can do would be great! Thanks for the effort!

Old
06-01-2004, 02:42 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
That really is interesting, especially given that we'll have Kettles in the AHL and ??? in the ECHL?

Old
06-01-2004, 05:24 PM
DW

TSK, are you sure Kettles won't be back in the ECHL and that Harding won't have a chance at being a part-timer with Houston? Still lots of scenarios that could have an effect on the Wild.

Old
06-01-2004, 05:53 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Kettles could move back to the ECHL, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibilities and I even think that's plausiable but I have a bad feeling if he is.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Seiza

Okey guys, here's a translation of the whole article. I hope my english is good enogh for you. Enjoy!

Houston, sunny Texas or Minnesota almost at the Canadien border. What would you choose? Johan Holmqvist chooses Minnesota every day of the year.
-Without a doubt. I'm deadly tired of the AHL now. I'm only interested in playing NHL hockey.
To swap that A for a N has been his goal for the last four tough, hard and instructive seasons. Honken has never been closer then now. Not further away either, because of the lockout.
-If I'm purely egoistic I hope there will be a season this fall. It would be bitter now that everything is looking so good for me...

He has been home in Gävle for three weeks now since the season ended in North America. He's settled down in his house at Älgpasset in Sätra. The whole family with his girlfriend Erika and little Emelie, who turns three this summer, is looking forward to a great summer. But the words he got to hear before going home to Sweden still echoes in his head.
-I have more or less been promised a spot on Minnesota's roster at the fall. Me and Dwayne Roloson will according to all plans form a goalie duo.
Everything he's dreamed of will come true. Those lonely four NHL games he played for New York Rangers will get considerably more. Therefor you understand why he doesn't enjoy hearing the words "lockout".
-I can't do much about it, only cross my fingers.

He worked hard to get the chance to be a NHL goalie. Four tough years with AHL games with everything but glamorous hockey.
-When it is at it's worst it is unbelievably bad, say Honken and laughs.
But he struggled. Played good, kept hoping but nothing has happend. Until last year when he was traded to Minnesota's organization and placed in Houston, won the AHL title with the team and was a big hero.
-It was great fun. The finals against Hamilton in Canada were played before 19000 spectators and it was a great atmosphere. Because of that he hoped that he would get a chance with Minnesota this season.But not only skills count in the NHL. It simply wasn't possible to send Manny Fernandez to the farm team. With a one-way contract that costed the team a lot of money. It was much cheaper to have Honken in Houston.
-Yes, a lot has to do with money. I got the signals that they wanted to trade Manny during this season to make room for me - but no team was interested in taking over his contract. I sat on the bench for two games. That was all...

He had to continue in a Houston which was much worse this season. Many players left the team.
- We had to play a qualifying round a lost straight away. In addition to that I got injured and was out for a while. But I am still pretty pleased with the season and I have played a lot. I more or less got to deside which games I wanted to play. Next season its Honken who has a one-way contract which pays him a good salary no matter if it is in the NHl or the AHL he plays. That together with the promise from Minnesota speaks for the Swede. He never even thought of returning home.
-No, not now anyway. To give up after four years and all the things I've gone through. Not a chance. That would kill me afterwards.

But if there's a lockout - he might play in the SEL next season in...
-I would love to play for Brynäs. Gävle is home, it is here we want to live in Sweden. And with Mikael Sundlöv in the organization I think Brynäs is on the right track. We have talked a lot.
It's with much interest he follows his old team, he has opinions and thinks big.
-Dackell is a great signing. I've seen him in Montreal - he is really good. It looks lite it could be a lot of fun.
The championship victory 1999 is something he will never forget.
-When we got home to Gavlerinken (their arena) in the middle of the night from Örnsköldsvik and thousands of fans where waiting for us, the celebration on Stortorget and the cheering after winning the game. That was huge...
He looks like he wants to experience that again. But first he wants to have a NHL career. That's just the way it is.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:20 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Very interesting that he let that one slip.

Old
06-02-2004, 07:47 AM
ceber

Thanks for the translation!

Yes, veeery interesting! Well, here's hoping (assuming the paper isn't misquoting him) that the Wild don't give him the smelly end of the stick on this one.

So, speculation? The Wild include Manny in a draft-day deal? Let him walk? Make some non-draft trade?

By the way, the team roster at Wild.com has been updated; no more Brust or Berzins on the list. http://www.wild.com/team/

Old
06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Our 'in the system' looks extremely weak:

LW
Boogaard
Brandner
Hannula
Krestanovich

Center:
Bros
Cavanaugh
Cavosie
Cullen

RW:
Foy
Hoggan
Muckalt
Wanvig

Defense:
Heid
Reitz
Roche
Shutte

Goalie:
Holmqvist
Kettles

ESPECIALLY our lw...puke!

No guys except for Foy that have top 6 potential either...

Our futures don't look any better:

Artem Anisimov (WHO?)
Jean Michel Bolduc (YAY!)
Frederic Cloutier
Adam Courchaine
Niklas Eckerblom
Mike Erickson
Josh Harding
Danny Irmen
Mikko Koivu
Marcin Kolusz
Miroslav Kopriva