HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Schremp speaks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2004, 02:23 AM
  #51
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
If anything this article made me think even less of Schremp then I did before. The kid goes out and blames everyone but himself for his problems. It shows no heart, no character and no class. Just the actions of a arrogant little punk. The part about his schoolwork was especially weak, was it too much to call his school and remind them to send it to him?? He walked out on his junior team and the USHDA, whose to say he won't walk out on his NHL team at the first sign of trouble. If he had shown some chracter and said for example that he could have handled things better, I would have had respect for that. But blaming everyone else indeed shows this kid has a serious attitude problem. I wouldn't want this guy on my team either.
Where does he blame anyone? He only blamed the new ownership for not being organized.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:35 AM
  #52
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,605
vCash: 500
i can still see Robbie falling out of the top 10, I wouldnt be surprised if he fell to the Oilers at #14. Maybe thats a stretch, but even after the explanation there is a code if the NHL that will not be broken, his behavior invited or uninvited, will cost him a few dips in the ranking.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
  #53
TK79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Where does he blame anyone? He only blamed the new ownership for not being organized.
Well he sure blames his school for the homework thing But my main point was that he should take responsibility for his own actions and decisions.

TK79 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:42 AM
  #54
hockeydad15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
If anything this article made me think even less of Schremp then I did before. The kid goes out and blames everyone but himself for his problems. It shows no heart, no character and no class. Just the actions of a arrogant little punk. The part about his schoolwork was especially weak, was it too much to call his school and remind them to send it to him?? He walked out on his junior team and the USHDA, whose to say he won't walk out on his NHL team at the first sign of trouble. If he had shown some chracter and said for example that he could have handled things better, I would have had respect for that. But blaming everyone else indeed shows this kid has a serious attitude problem. I wouldn't want this guy on my team either.
And what team is it that you own? i guess we will have to wait until june 26 to see if any of this really mattered. Then will it be the stupid teams fault that drafts him?

hockeydad15 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
  #55
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I am expressing an opinion, just like you blindly defending him.
Are you his buddy or something?


I'm not blindly defending anyone. I don't think he's handled everything correctly, but I don't see the malice or character issues you do either. You see passing the buck, I see an explanation. Rob Schremp is not the anti-christ people. He wasn't satisifed with his situation in Mississauga, so he changed it, like several players before him. That's all he's guilty of. If you, or anyone else can't live with that, so be it. He's still going to be a high draft pick, and more than likely he's going to be a success.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:09 AM
  #56
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
Well he sure blames his school for the homework thing But my main point was that he should take responsibility for his own actions and decisions.

You must have been a saint in high school eh? No pressure on you right? Just a good Finnish lad helping old ladies cross the street right? He's a kid in a high pressure situation with his future at stake. Some mistakes have been made, get over it.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:11 AM
  #57
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
i can still see Robbie falling out of the top 10, I wouldnt be surprised if he fell to the Oilers at #14. Maybe thats a stretch, but even after the explanation there is a code if the NHL that will not be broken, his behavior invited or uninvited, will cost him a few dips in the ranking.


What code is that? The same one Jason Spezza broke? Amazingly he was still drafted 2nd overall by the iconic Ottawa Senators.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:12 AM
  #58
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues
Surefire bust, his stock continues to drop and that interview just seals his fate.
Kid will be lucky to get picked in the first round.

The level of stupidity around here never ceases to amaze me.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:16 AM
  #59
TK79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
You must have been a saint in high school eh? No pressure on you right? Just a good Finnish lad helping old ladies cross the street right? He's a kid in a high pressure situation with his future at stake. Some mistakes have been made, get over it.
Nope, but I didn't point my finger at someone else every time things got rough either. That is a issue of character, and in Schremp's case it appears to be lacking. I think you need to get over the fact this kid may very well be a bad apple. But time will tell..

TK79 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
  #60
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
You must have been a saint in high school eh? No pressure on you right? Just a good Finnish lad helping old ladies cross the street right? He's a kid in a high pressure situation with his future at stake. Some mistakes have been made, get over it.
While your point about not overblowing his mistakes is well taken, the troubling thing is his attitude towards the mistakes. He's still blaming his high school and his former team for his troubles. And I'm sure he'll blame Hunter when he is done at London for his troubles there. The point we're trying to make is his mistakes aren't done - and they may get worse.

While we shouldn't be too hard on him because he is after all only 18 or so, the reality is he will be put under tremendous pressure in the next few years, and he just hasn't handled tough situations very well thus far. That might not be fair, but it's the reality he will face.

If I were a team picking in the teens, it would be tough to pass on him given his talent. But I think it's clear a team will have to be very patient with him and not rush things. The problem with that scenario however, is that when a team does that - such as the Sens did with Spezza - I just think he's the kind of player who quit and walk out and demand a trade - or at least there is a strong possibility of it. He's the kind of kid who will probable revolt if he were forced to ride a bus in the AHL for a few months - especially if some of his peers of equal talent are in the NHL at the time. Sometimes hockey isn't fair, and some players don't deal with that reality very well. So if that's a possibility, a top 10 pick is probably not worth it when you have some very solid players who have comparable upsides on the board.

Combine that fact with the reality he is a bit of a perimeter player, who is not that physical and not the best skater in the draft, and it starts to marginalize his tremendous puck skills and other hockey talents. I just think a lot of scouts will have a tough time passing on a guys like Picard for a guy like Schremp.

I think he's in the same boat as Radulov, although Radulov is a bit more intense on the ice and will probably be taken ahead of Schremp. He's still a top player in terms of pure talent and it's very unlikely he'll drop too far come draft day.


Last edited by Dr.Sens(e): 05-28-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:20 AM
  #61
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
He's still blaming...his former team for his troubles.
How is he blaming his former team? He didn't want to play for that ownership so he requested a trade. I see no blame being placed here at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
And I'm sure he'll blame Hunter when he is done at London for his troubles there.
He will? Was it a Magic 8 Ball or a Crystal Ball that told you that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
The point we're trying to make is his mistakes aren't done.
They aren't? Was it a Magic 8 Ball or a Crystal Ball that told you that?

degroat* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:25 AM
  #62
cdnhky1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
This entire story is laughable. This story has Scott Norton's fingerprints all over it once again. The reason Schremp asked for a trade from Mississauga was Norton. He was afraid he was going to lose Schremp to Newport Sports so he convinced Robbie that he needed to get out of Mississauga for his own good.

As for Schremp not having his sticks, that's a lie. Schremp was using his Synergies throughout camp and into the regular season. Both he and O'Sullivan have it written in their contracts that the team provides them with one piece sticks throughout the season. O'Sullivan continued to to use one piece sticks for the remainder of the season, as would Schremp if he had remained with the team.

As for his school in Mississauga screwing up, again that is a lie. Schremp had dropped out of school in February of last year. Therefore, his school in Mississauga had no reason to forward anything to his school at home because he wasn't in school.

You can bet that Robbie would have left Norton by now if not for the fact that Robbie's uncle happens to work for Norton and his agency. If Robbie leaves, his uncle is out of a job.

cdnhky1 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:35 AM
  #63
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
He never said he didn't have sticks in camp.

degroat* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
  #64
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
How is he blaming his former team? He didn't want to play for that ownership so he requested a trade. I see no blame being placed here at all.

Was it a Magic 8 Ball or a Crystal Ball that told you that?
He saying it was the owner and teams fault for lying to his little brother and not being well organized. It's fair enough to argue whether this was justified or not - I really don't know one way or the other - but he certainly is pointing the finger at the team. He's saying he asked for a trade because of what the team did - so yes, I'm saying he's blaming the team/owner/management.

And I don't have a magic 8 ball - maybe I should have added "IMO" to it, because I obviously don't know to any degree of certainty was Schremp's future holds. But I think you're nitpicking here. The main point is that his comments in that article create some angst when I read them, so I - like many - think his future is a little more clouded than most because of his character how he paints all his past problems as someone else's fault. It's adds a degree of risk - again IMO - that will have some teams rate him a little lower than if he had a Nathan Horton or Eric Staal type of track record in terms of his character. If you think his character is equal to that of Picard or Ladd or another top prospect, that's your opinion. I simply disagree.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 10:39 AM
  #65
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
And I don't have a magic 8 ball - maybe I should have added "IMO" to it, because I obviously don't know to any degree of certainty was Schremp's future holds. But I think you're nitpicking here. The main point is that his comments in that article create some angst when I read them.
If the article gives you ammo, than use that. Why come out and start predicting who Schremp's going to dig into in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
But I think it's clear a team will have to be very patient with him and not rush things
I think this is a fair statement though, if Schremp is rushed into the NHL than my money is on bust. He doesn't have that killer offensive agressiveness yet and if he doesn't have that in Junior, than I doubt he'll be willing to attack NHL players with his stickhandleing. Mostly if a guy is in solid position Schremp gives him the benefit of the doubt and won't challenge him/try to beat him. Sure there are also defensive concerns with his game and the fact he generally leaves a yellow puddle on the ice anytime a physical D-man comes within 8 feet of him isn't inspiring, as he's general unwilling to take hits and pay the price. The 5-on-5 offensive play is the biggest concern though, players develop defensive games and more courage all the time after they leave junior, but rarely do players find great offenise agressiveness without showing much in junior.

He has the tools offensively with his stickhanleing, great shot and creative passing, but until he starts to use the tools more effectively I don't think it's in his best interest to move up to next level.

Boomhower is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
  #66
Goldberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Pole
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Lies and broken promises

It is interesting that you seem to know so much, but fail to touch on the point about the owner breaking promises to the family with the brother the year before in Milton. Did you not read that part..not know anything about that season..or just fail to face the facts that the truth hurts. I would think that was a bigger issue than sticks. Maybe Forgione was too busy driving his hummer around than to take care of details like telling the truth!




Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnhky1
This entire story is laughable. This story has Scott Norton's fingerprints all over it once again. The reason Schremp asked for a trade from Mississauga was Norton. He was afraid he was going to lose Schremp to Newport Sports so he convinced Robbie that he needed to get out of Mississauga for his own good.

As for Schremp not having his sticks, that's a lie. Schremp was using his Synergies throughout camp and into the regular season. Both he and O'Sullivan have it written in their contracts that the team provides them with one piece sticks throughout the season. O'Sullivan continued to to use one piece sticks for the remainder of the season, as would Schremp if he had remained with the team.

As for his school in Mississauga screwing up, again that is a lie. Schremp had dropped out of school in February of last year. Therefore, his school in Mississauga had no reason to forward anything to his school at home because he wasn't in school.

You can bet that Robbie would have left Norton by now if not for the fact that Robbie's uncle happens to work for Norton and his agency. If Robbie leaves, his uncle is out of a job.

Goldberg is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 11:17 AM
  #67
Goldberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Pole
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Dustin Brown

By the way, doesn't Norton represent other great young players, like Dustin Brown? Does his uncle work for Norton also? Maybe he does something right to not only keep these prodigies, but to help them develop into NHL players like Brown did at 18 yrs old



Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnhky1
This entire story is laughable. This story has Scott Norton's fingerprints all over it once again. The reason Schremp asked for a trade from Mississauga was Norton. He was afraid he was going to lose Schremp to Newport Sports so he convinced Robbie that he needed to get out of Mississauga for his own good.

As for Schremp not having his sticks, that's a lie. Schremp was using his Synergies throughout camp and into the regular season. Both he and O'Sullivan have it written in their contracts that the team provides them with one piece sticks throughout the season. O'Sullivan continued to to use one piece sticks for the remainder of the season, as would Schremp if he had remained with the team.

As for his school in Mississauga screwing up, again that is a lie. Schremp had dropped out of school in February of last year. Therefore, his school in Mississauga had no reason to forward anything to his school at home because he wasn't in school.

You can bet that Robbie would have left Norton by now if not for the fact that Robbie's uncle happens to work for Norton and his agency. If Robbie leaves, his uncle is out of a job.

Goldberg is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 01:37 PM
  #68
pucks1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I held a pretty neutral opinion towards his supposed attititude problems, but I have to admit that story makes me see think very little of his character.

The fact there wasn't a trainer and some sticks weren't readily available doesn't mean that you walk out, and it certaintly DOES mean you are in fact walking out on your team-mates. If you're one of the best players on the team, you go to management and tell them to get their crap together. Let the team rally around you. By simply walking out because there are a few challenges IS in fact walking out on your team mates, because after all, they're going through the same challenges.

And that franchise managed to get to the OHL finals this year, so pointing the finger at them as being messed is pretty thin. Don't get me wrong, I believe that they were probably dis-organized at that time - and his gripe was probably legit - but you then walk out? If that happened with the Sens last year - when the team was going through bankruptcy and no pay cheques came for a week - I guess we know where he would have gone. Straight home.

And the reference that the owner broke some promises to his little brother is also pretty thin. Imagine a 17 year old saying he heard some bad things from his little brother about his team owner, so he won't play there any more. Man...

Finally, the thing about the homework really tops it off. It's an example of a person trying to avoid doing something because everything wasn't handed right to him. Some one messed up and forgot to send him his homework, so he takes the summer off?! And then he's surprised when he goes back at the end of the summer and they don't give him the credits anyway?

Hey Robbie, your high school might have made an administrative mistake, but YOU messed that one up. I just bet he was looking through the mail every day saying "where's my home work".

If you can pick up a phone to tell the owner you won't play for him anymore because he lied to your little brother and because he doesn't have his **** together, then you sure as hell can pick up the phone to tell your high school to get their **** together and send you your home work.

As Radio Robert would say..."Punk!"
First of all Tyler is his older brother, so get your facts striaght, second of all how you bash someone that youve probably never met. Ive played with Tyler and Robbie and they are both great kids, i feel like the reason u bash him is cause u are jealious of him, i bet if he lit up the score board for ur team , u would be wearing a Shremp jersey to all of the games..

pucks1 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:06 PM
  #69
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1
First of all Tyler is his older brother, so get your facts striaght, second of all how you bash someone that youve probably never met. Ive played with Tyler and Robbie and they are both great kids, i feel like the reason u bash him is cause u are jealious of him, i bet if he lit up the score board for ur team , u would be wearing a Shremp jersey to all of the games..
Yep, that what it is. All the negative PR is because everyone is jealous of ol Robbie.
You a fanboy perhaps?

Sammy* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:40 PM
  #70
pucks1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Yep, that what it is. All the negative PR is because everyone is jealous of ol Robbie.
You a fanboy perhaps?
Dont know what fanboy means... Played with the Schremps with Syracuse,, and still speak with Rob online. Although we really dont talk about hockey that much,, more about friends, past teamates, and so on. He's a good kid, was the first one to come up and introduce himself to me at camp. He was allways first one on the ice and last one off. We (syracuse) were never liked being one of two American teams in the league(oha) they really hated when Rob would smoke all of the players in that ontario league, and make it look easy. It sucks to see him getting bash like this, when i know for a fact its all a bunch of b.s.

pucks1 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:50 PM
  #71
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1
First of all Tyler is his older brother, so get your facts striaght, second of all how you bash someone that youve probably never met. Ive played with Tyler and Robbie and they are both great kids, i feel like the reason u bash him is cause u are jealious of him, i bet if he lit up the score board for ur team , u would be wearing a Shremp jersey to all of the games..
Fair enough - my bad - it was his older brother. But that is hardly a difference maker.

Obviously the jeoulousy thing is a joke. Wouldn't I be more jeolous of players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Staal and Horton - basically all the blue chip prospects everyone thinks so highly of?

Hey, you're his buddy and I admire the fact you stick up for him. But it hardly makes you objective. The fact you can't follow the logic of the thread and simply think I'm jeolous...well, it reminds me of what it is like to deal with teenagers.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:06 PM
  #72
TheZodiac
Registered User
 
TheZodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
This sounds like an Agent paying someone to write a positive for a propect whos stock has fallen dramatically. It's not Robbies fault his agent keep screwing up.

TheZodiac is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:52 PM
  #73
Goldberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Pole
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Smart agent

I think you are missing the boat..I think this article and this publicity is a brain storm if it was thought up by his Agent. All the bad press the kid has had all year and The Hockey News still has him rate #10. Now a positive article comes out on him right before Central Scouting Testing and meetings..seems like a positive light will be shed on the kid for once. Either way you look at it, the kid is in the spotlight and being talked about!

Does anyone really care why he was traded when it happened 7 months ago? The Ice Dogs obviously turned out ok, and Schremp is going to be a 1st round NHL pick. Seems like they both got what they wanted. Smart team, smart player and agent.

Goldberg is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:03 PM
  #74
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Hey, you're his buddy and I admire the fact you stick up for him. But it hardly makes you objective. The fact you can't follow the logic of the thread and simply think I'm jeolous...well, it reminds me of what it is like to deal with teenagers.
Ok, explain this to me. Someone that has met Schremp, talked to him and played against him is not objective, but you sitting on your computer chair.. you are. Who are you trying to fool? I'd trust someone who knows him (but isn't one of his close friends) over someone who doesn't know squat about jack(or Robbie, in that case).

Rahan is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:18 PM
  #75
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Ok, explain this to me. Someone that has met Schremp, talked to him and played against him is not objective, but you sitting on your computer chair.. you are. Who are you trying to fool? I'd trust someone who knows him (but isn't one of his close friends) over someone who doesn't know squat about jack(or Robbie, in that case).
I personally put more stock in ones actions that what a buddy of a guy says. Even those guys out there who do not have the greatest of character have those who will support them.

Sammy* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.