HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Schremp speaks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2004, 06:12 PM
  #76
Bure9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Yep, that what it is. All the negative PR is because everyone is jealous of ol Robbie.
You a fanboy perhaps?
Actually, I believe it is because he's American.

Bure9* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:17 PM
  #77
hockeydad15
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnhky1
This entire story is laughable. This story has Scott Norton's fingerprints all over it once again. The reason Schremp asked for a trade from Mississauga was Norton. He was afraid he was going to lose Schremp to Newport Sports so he convinced Robbie that he needed to get out of Mississauga for his own good.

As for Schremp not having his sticks, that's a lie. Schremp was using his Synergies throughout camp and into the regular season. Both he and O'Sullivan have it written in their contracts that the team provides them with one piece sticks throughout the season. O'Sullivan continued to to use one piece sticks for the remainder of the season, as would Schremp if he had remained with the team.

As for his school in Mississauga screwing up, again that is a lie. Schremp had dropped out of school in February of last year. Therefore, his school in Mississauga had no reason to forward anything to his school at home because he wasn't in school.

You can bet that Robbie would have left Norton by now if not for the fact that Robbie's uncle happens to work for Norton and his agency. If Robbie leaves, his uncle is out of a job.
Robbie mentioned sticks in his article, you say it was a lie. sure he had sticks, do you know what their stick budget was with the new owners? cut in third maybe? When Quincey and Bain got traded to missy who supplied their equiptment? not missy! I suggest before you call someone a liar, you should at least know your facts!! I think he was mentioning just a few situations here. As he said, he thought it was the right thing to do at the time. Looks like all you bashers should have been agents instead of "armchair coaches"

hockeydad15 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 09:59 PM
  #78
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure9
Actually, I believe it is because he's American.

That's my guess.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-28-2004, 10:01 PM
  #79
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Fair enough - my bad - it was his older brother. But that is hardly a difference maker.

Obviously the jeoulousy thing is a joke. Wouldn't I be more jeolous of players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Staal and Horton - basically all the blue chip prospects everyone thinks so highly of?

Hey, you're his buddy and I admire the fact you stick up for him. But it hardly makes you objective. The fact you can't follow the logic of the thread and simply think I'm jeolous...well, it reminds me of what it is like to deal with teenagers.

Teenagers like Schremp?

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-29-2004, 06:57 AM
  #80
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Ok, explain this to me. Someone that has met Schremp, talked to him and played against him is not objective, but you sitting on your computer chair.. you are. Who are you trying to fool? I'd trust someone who knows him (but isn't one of his close friends) over someone who doesn't know squat about jack(or Robbie, in that case).
Hey, I'm just basing it on what I read - from scouts and other observers. And I do indeed take their word over a teenage buddy of Schremp's - especially one who thinks the only possible reason I'd criticize Schremp is because I'm "jeolous".

As I've already said more that once, I don't know whether he'll bust or not. I've read many negative reports on Schremp up until now, but never really anything that was more than rumour, and nothing that I ever really put much weight behind (although it did create a nature curiousity about all the negativity). All I'm saying is that article doesn't reflect well on his character. If you disagree and think his explanations reflect well on his him, that's your call. There are many scouts who disagree on Schremp and his character as well.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:13 AM
  #81
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
That's my guess.
Thats frankly stupid. This gives all your previous commentary some context now.
I guess its because he's American his stock has dropped from the expected #2 or #3 overall to around the expected #10 or 11. Yep, NHL teams really care about what nationality one is when drafting a guy.
Or maybe what your actually saying its because hes American he bailed on 2 teams this year & the dog ate his homework. Is it because hes American he didnt get asked to the WJC?
Ridiculous

Sammy* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 10:33 AM
  #82
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
There is no doubt that him being American has at least something to do with this. If he was Canadian, nobody would have made a big deal about any of this petty nonsense.

degroat* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 10:35 AM
  #83
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I guess its because he's American his stock has dropped from the expected #2 or #3 overall to around the expected #10 or 11.
ISS still has him ranked #3.

degroat* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 10:45 AM
  #84
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
There is no doubt that him being American has at least something to do with this. If he was Canadian, nobody would have made a big deal about any of this petty nonsense.
Abolute BS.
Thats like saying if Theo Fleury was an American he wouldnt get all the bad PR he has received.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 10:55 AM
  #85
Goldberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Pole
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Voroshnin

Why has no one ever questioned or ripped the Voroshnin kid for doing basically the same thing this year as Schremp did? From what I understand, Voroshnin told Mississauga that he was not coming back from Russia after Christmas unless he was traded..he was tired of being in Mississauga. He demanded a trade, forced the team's hand like Schremp, and got his wish.

Goldberg is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 11:11 AM
  #86
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg
Why has no one ever questioned or ripped the Voroshnin kid for doing basically the same thing this year as Schremp did? From what I understand, Voroshnin told Mississauga that he was not coming back from Russia after Christmas unless he was traded..he was tired of being in Mississauga. He demanded a trade, forced the team's hand like Schremp, and got his wish.
Oh, thats because he's Russian. Us Canadians are just really biased against Americans.
Use some frickin common sense there bud. How highly rated & touted is
Voroshnin?

Sammy* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 11:27 AM
  #87
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Abolute BS.
Thats like saying if Theo Fleury was an American he wouldnt get all the bad PR he has received.
No, that's not like saying that at all.

degroat* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 11:57 AM
  #88
Bure9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
I drew my conclusions by comparing Schremp's situation to Spezza's. I think it's pretty obviously that there is a bias on this board that favors Canadian players. Russian players get the same *****, as well.

Bure9* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 12:29 PM
  #89
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure9
I drew my conclusions by comparing Schremp's situation to Spezza's. I think it's pretty obviously that there is a bias on this board that favors Canadian players. Russian players get the same *****, as well.
I guess it's the bias from these boards that has caused Schremp to drop in his rankings this year.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 01:33 PM
  #90
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I guess it's the bias from these boards that has caused Schremp to drop in his rankings this year.


His ranking has dropped a bit but he's still widely recognized as a top ten draft possibility by many sources. Everyone isn't Kyle Woodlief you know.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-29-2004, 01:36 PM
  #91
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Oh, thats because he's Russian. Us Canadians are just really biased against Americans.
Use some frickin common sense there bud. How highly rated & touted is
Voroshnin?


Why does that matter? Just because you're a lower tier prospect it's okay to pull the same stunts? Seems like a double standard to me. I think what it boils down to is not to many people on this board like Schremp as a person. They think he's a selfish hotdog and want him to fail. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but it sounds a little childish to me.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-29-2004, 02:02 PM
  #92
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
His ranking has dropped a bit but he's still widely recognized as a top ten draft possibility by many sources. Everyone isn't Kyle Woodlief you know.
He's still recognized as a talented prospect and certainly could go in the top 10, but in general, his ranking has dropped in scouting circles ever since a slight rise after the prospects game.

While Red Line slammed Schremp early in the year, and was subsequently slammed on these boards after doing so for being so critical of him, it's interesting to see most publications now agree with Red Line to a certain extent, and have dropped Schremp to the fringe of the top 10. McKeens has Schremp at #13, THN has him at #10. And while CSB has him at #3 amongst North American skaters, he would still probably be behind Ovechkin, Malkin, Tukonen, Olesz, Schwartz and Montoya and possibly a few others if they ever consilidated their rankings - which puts him probably somewhere around #10 (admittedly, that's just a guess based on what THN and McKeens have done)

The point about not slamming Spezza as badly is a fair point, however the trade request by Spezza was the only blemish on his record. And there are other differences. The fact is Spezza was MUCH more talented and productive at the same age, having played in the WJC and having also averaged more than 2 points per game in the OHL. There have only been a handful of draft eligible players who have EVER put up numbers like that in their draft year. Schremp put up solid numbers, but was still just a bit better than a point a game, and finished 4th on his team in scoring.

While perhaps we're being a little too critical of Schremp for some silly teenager like behavior, some of his supporters should also take a step back and try to be objective about this as well. We don't "hate" Schremp. There are just more questions about him than some other prospects of equal skill. And most of us are just saying we felt some of his comments in the article pretty questionable. That doesn't change the fact he is immensely talented, it just raises some questions about things other than his talent. And it's certainly not about being an American - at least not from me.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 02:23 PM
  #93
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
He's still recognized as a talented prospect and certainly could go in the top 10, but in general, his ranking has dropped in scouting circles ever since a slight rise after the prospects game.

While Red Line slammed Schremp early in the year, and was subsequently slammed on these boards after doing so for being so critical of him, it's interesting to see most publications now agree with Red Line to a certain extent, and have dropped Schremp to the fringe of the top 10. McKeens has Schremp at #13, THN has him at #10. And while CSB has him at #3 amongst North American skaters, he would still probably be behind Ovechkin, Malkin, Tukonen, Olesz, Schwartz and Montoya and possibly a few others if they ever consilidated their rankings - which puts him probably somewhere around #10 (admittedly, that's just a guess based on what THN and McKeens have done)

The point about not slamming Spezza as badly is a fair point, however the trade request by Spezza was the only blemish on his record. And there are other differences. The fact is Spezza was MUCH more talented and productive at the same age, having played in the WJC and having also averaged more than 2 points per game in the OHL. There have only been a handful of draft eligible players who have EVER put up numbers like that in their draft year. Schremp put up solid numbers, but was still just a bit better than a point a game, and finished 4th on his team in scoring.

While perhaps we're being a little too critical of Schremp for some silly teenager like behavior, some of his supporters should also take a step back and try to be objective about this as well. We don't "hate" Schremp. There are just more questions about him than some other prospects of equal skill. And most of us are just saying we felt some of his comments in the article pretty questionable. That doesn't change the fact he is immensely talented, it just raises some questions about things other than his talent. And it's certainly not about being an American - at least not from me.
Excellent post.

Where he comes from doesn't mean one damn thing.

The concern I have is that this may indicate future problems with the agent. Seems to me the kid may have gotten some very poor advice that could very well end up doing what he was trying to avoid (hurting his draft position). Surely his agent could have anticipated some kind of backlash. Right?

As a fan of a small market Canadian team, I can't help but think it may be an indicator of signability (or other) problems down the line. Now my opinion or concern doesn't matter one bit.

But the guys making these decisions, which will affect this young man's future, have to weigh those questions.

And on the eve of the biggest day of this kid's life, I think he deserved better advice.


Last edited by Lowetide: 05-29-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Lowetide is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 03:55 PM
  #94
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 500
I don't have a vested interest in Schremp's career, other than he's an American and I like to see American players succeed. I also don't mind fair criticism of him or any other prospect. The problem I have is with some of the poorly reasoned and expressed pot shots coming from the peanut gallery. Whatever. The bottom line is Rob Schremp is an elite talent that has worked his butt off to become a professional hockey player. There are alot of questions about him as a person, but there's no denying he's willing to do what it takes to get to the next level. How far he drops in the draft is anyone's guess, but IMO it won't be out of the top fifteen. High risk, high reward, pretty much the draft in a nutshell.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:40 PM
  #95
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Why does that matter? Just because you're a lower tier prospect it's okay to pull the same stunts? Seems like a double standard to me. .
My point was that because Voroshin is a nobody, nobody cares what he does or doesnt do, hence not alot of commentary about his bad acts.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 12:34 PM
  #96
pucks1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Hey, I'm just basing it on what I read - from scouts and other observers. And I do indeed take their word over a teenage buddy of Schremp's - especially one who thinks the only possible reason I'd criticize Schremp is because I'm "jeolous".

As I've already said more that once, I don't know whether he'll bust or not. I've read many negative reports on Schremp up until now, but never really anything that was more than rumour, and nothing that I ever really put much weight behind (although it did create a nature curiousity about all the negativity). All I'm saying is that article doesn't reflect well on his character. If you disagree and think his explanations reflect well on his him, that's your call. There are many scouts who disagree on Schremp and his character as well.
Okay, first of all im not a teen i played with him 2 years ago, im 22. Im telling you honestly what i think of him. Nobody pays me, i wish, but thats rediculous. I may be only 22 but im mature enough to know the difference between criticizim and Bashing. If i stick up for him its because i want to not cause im being payed or some b.s. but if you dont want to hear the opinion of some who knows him ill shut my mouth.

pucks1 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
  #97
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1
Okay, first of all im not a teen i played with him 2 years ago, im 22. Im telling you honestly what i think of him. Nobody pays me, i wish, but thats rediculous. I may be only 22 but im mature enough to know the difference between criticizim and Bashing. If i stick up for him its because i want to not cause im being payed or some b.s. but if you dont want to hear the opinion of some who knows him ill shut my mouth.
As I said, it wasn't so much the age as the fact you assume I must be jeolous of Schremp because I was critical of some of his statements in that article. This is just a ridiculous contention. Does that mean all the scouts who stated similar things are jeolous too? Give me a break.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 11:19 PM
  #98
OHLArenaGuide
Registered User
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London ON/St John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Unless there are major insiders reading this board (always a possibility) the fact is that none of us really know what went on in Mississauga, or in London, or in Schremp's head. Those expressing vitriol and venom are showing their ignorance and their prejudices about a situation they, by definition, know little about.

I don't know what Robbie is like as a person, but based purely on his on-ice skills, I would be happy to have him on the Leafs.

OHLArenaGuide is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.