HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most profitable sporting event in Canadian history?

Old
08-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Habernack

vCash: 500
Most profitable sporting event in Canadian history?

I brought this up amongst friends the other day and we prety much all agreed on my following statement.

A Montreal vs. Toronto showdown in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final in the modern day NHL would be the most lucrative sporting event in Canadian history.

You can take what ever you want into consideration, tv ratings, merch, ticket sales etc.

True or False?

Habernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Habs13

Montreal F1?

Edit: Actually, given how much it costs to hold the race here, I guess it's not F1...

Last edited by Habs13: 08-02-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

More than likely.

It could very well draw more viewers combined than the gold medal game in Canada.

On top of that, the players don't get paid.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

The two biggest franchise in the biggest Canadian sport head to head for one of the most crucial and decisive game??..

I hope you guys didn't really think long before drawing that conclusion.

There's no other sport in Canada that comes close to the interest for Hockey. It really isn't hard to figure that one out.

NBA..Toronto..
NFL...nothing..
MLB..Toronto..
CFL???...what does that stand for again..??..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Habernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The two biggest franchise in the biggest Canadian sport head to head for one of the most crucial and decisive game??..

I hope you guys didn't really think long before drawing that conclusion.

There's no other sport in Canada that comes close to the interest for Hockey. It really isn't hard to figure that one out.

NBA..Toronto..
NFL...nothing..
MLB..Toronto..
CFL???...what does that stand for again..??..

Didnt take long at all actualy.

Me: Would it be....
Everyone: Yes

Old
08-02-2010, 01:09 AM
LyricalLyricist

What about olympic games? or is that not one 'event'.

Edit: Guess not...someone could just reply "stanley cup playoffs" right back. So I guess, yah probably TO VS MTL would bring it that exposure no doubt.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:24 AM
MikeyPeenz

montreal vs toronto outdoors at say the ex or even where the al's play, that would be huge, hockey day in canada
think of the exposure and ticket sales of 60,000

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNationUnite View Post
I brought this up amongst friends the other day and we prety much all agreed on my following statement.

A Montreal vs. Toronto showdown in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final in the modern day NHL would be the most lucrative sporting event in Canadian history.

You can take what ever you want into consideration, tv ratings, merch, ticket sales etc.

True or False?
Very OT, but I've always wondered why the habs have so many fans in Toronto, but the leafs have no fans in Montreal Anyone got an explanation?

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Habernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Very OT, but I've always wondered why the habs have so many fans in Toronto, but the leafs have no fans in Montreal Anyone got an explanation?
in my defence, im originaly from the west island and moved to Toronto for work.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Habitant#1

I still think the Olympics final would have more viewers, since the Olympics draw out even the most casual of fans. Didn't something like 80% of canadiens watch at least part of it? No way you'd get anything near that in a Habs vs leafs game. Too many people out west just wouldn't care, especially if their teams are already out.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
A lot of people moved from Montreal to Toronto in the late 70s and 80s, as many companies moved their headquarters to Toronto during those years. Those people still have an emotional attachment to Montreal and to the Habs.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:02 AM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNationUnite View Post

True or False?
I think it would have some of the highest ratings in Canadian sports history but it would be tough to beat the Men's Gold final from this year. Reason being when the Olympics are on, especially a Games we are hosting, everyone in the country is aware of it and the Men's hockey final is, to Canadians, the centrepiece of the Games, like the Men's 100m in the summer Games. Despite the popularity of the Leafs and Habs, I don't think as many non-fans would be as aware and as likely to watch.

Also, it would be difficult to truly capitalize on the one game. Every game is a sellout so the only way to make more $ on the gate is to raise ticket prices and I thought teams did that by series and not by game (can anyone confirm?). This puts an event like this at a severe disadvantage to other events that could have many more fans in attendance, ie Heritage Classic, CFL game, Olympics, etc. Many of those venues can hold more than 3 times the capacity of even the Bell Centre.

As for ratings, those spots would likely have been bought much earlier based on average ratings for 3rd round playoff matchups before the network would have know that it would be a ridiculously well watched game. All that would likely happen would be the advertisers would get more for their $. But maybe I'm wrong and the spots are bought as the playoffs go along.

Yes, more merch would be sold. But, I think these events really make money at the gate, where this event would be most limited, as noted above.

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Thorn

Quote:
I know of one Montreal born (well South Shore) person that is a Leafs fan. Always walking around in his Leafs cap and, on occasion, jersey. But I admit outside of him I have not seen many if any.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

A final in which Canada is hosting the FIFA World Cup would dwarf a Habs/Leafs game 7.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
Did you take into considerations the subsequent riot?

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Any regular season NFL game to be played in Toronto.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 08-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
scottyG

I doubt that brings in the 75-100 million dollars the F1 brings in every year

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
I doubt that brings in the 75-100 million dollars the F1 brings in every year
How much does Mtl pay for that F1???..
Their profit is extremely far from being 100M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I think it would have some of the highest ratings in Canadian sports history but it would be tough to beat the Men's Gold final from this year. Reason being when the Olympics are on, especially a Games we are hosting, everyone in the country is aware of it and the Men's hockey final is, to Canadians, the centrepiece of the Games, like the Men's 100m in the summer Games. Despite the popularity of the Leafs and Habs, I don't think as many non-fans would be as aware and as likely to watch.

Also, it would be difficult to truly capitalize on the one game. Every game is a sellout so the only way to make more $ on the gate is to raise ticket prices and I thought teams did that by series and not by game (can anyone confirm?). This puts an event like this at a severe disadvantage to other events that could have many more fans in attendance, ie Heritage Classic, CFL game, Olympics, etc. Many of those venues can hold more than 3 times the capacity of even the Bell Centre.

As for ratings, those spots would likely have been bought much earlier based on average ratings for 3rd round playoff matchups before the network would have know that it would be a ridiculously well watched game. All that would likely happen would be the advertisers would get more for their $. But maybe I'm wrong and the spots are bought as the playoffs go along.

Yes, more merch would be sold. But, I think these events really make money at the gate, where this event would be most limited, as noted above.
If there's Olympics being held in Mtl, that means there's a crap load of money that will have been used to build many venues.
Establishing the profit only from a Gold's medal game vs the cost is hard for us to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
A final in which Canada is hosting the FIFA World Cup would dwarf a Habs/Leafs game 7.
This will never happen though.

Old
08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How much does Mtl pay for that F1???..
Their profit is extremely far from being 100M.

It is profit. The city makes 75-100 million per year every GP

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
It is profit. The city makes 75-100 million per year every GP
The city can generate a lot of money, like restaurants, hotels, etc..
But that's not a profit, that's a revenue.

It's as if I'd say the Habs make a lot more money than we think because of all the beer and food bought in restaurants during the games.

The F1 itself does not generate 100M in profits. If it does, then give me a link because I was clearly told otherwise.

Old
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Bonin

How much profit does a UFC event get compare to one hockey game?

GSP vs Anderson Silva in montreal

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Patofqc*

It will never happen...its the Maple leafs you are talking about. The suckiest franchise in the History of this sport. They wont win a series for the next 10 years ill bet you.

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote