HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2010 Top Prospects - #6

View Poll Results: Who's #6?
D Mark Alt 0 0%
D Danny Biega 0 0%
W Drayson Bowman 14 32.56%
D Brian Dumoulin 12 27.91%
D Justin Faulk 0 0%
D Michal Jordan 0 0%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
G Mike Murphy 4 9.30%
W Oskar Osala 0 0%
G Justin Peters 0 0%
D Bobby Sanguinetti 13 30.23%
LW Justin Shugg 0 0%
RW Jared Staal 0 0%
C/LW Chris Terry 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2010, 09:35 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
2010 Top Prospects - #6

the race for #5 started close but by the end Nash had pulled away from the competition. Things should be even closer now as the tiers of prospects are really starting to become evident.

1) RW/C Jeff Skinner - 37.74%
2) D Jamie McBain - 70.73%
3) LW Zach Boychuk - 72.97%
4) C/RW Zac Dalpe - 48.78%
5) C Riley Nash - 45.95%

added LW Mattias Lindstrom

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Scorvo

vCash: 500
Dray-Bo. Was on fire at the end of the year and I feel like if he plays the entire season in Charlotte, he could be their best offensive player.

Add Samson(If he qualifies)

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
yep, still qualifies, oddly enough he's only 22 IIRC.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Can Dumoulin please win here? I want to vote for someone else now.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Voted for Murphy. I couldn't let a possible #1 goalie slide any further. Dumoulin was a close second, but at this point we have very little idea how good he is defensively...though the offense and outlet passes were quite good in year 1

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:51 AM
totalkev

I think Bowman is clear here (add Kivisto). I think he's part of the 3/4/5/6 group, maybe even closer to the 3 than the 6. I think we're getting a little formulaic here, though. It's entirely possible that some of the new guys (Sanguinetti, Faulk and Alt in particular ... and to a lesser extent, Dumoulin, who's just so far away despite a great start to his college career) are maybe just too unknown to get any votes. Anyhow, I love Bowman and think he rockets up the depth chart this year.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:29 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Voted for Murphy. I couldn't let a possible #1 goalie slide any further. Dumoulin was a close second, but at this point we have very little idea how good he is defensively...though the offense and outlet passes were quite good in year 1
His defensive play is what he is touted for the most.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I think Bowman is clear here (add Kivisto). I think he's part of the 3/4/5/6 group, maybe even closer to the 3 than the 6. I think we're getting a little formulaic here, though. It's entirely possible that some of the new guys (Sanguinetti, Faulk and Alt in particular ... and to a lesser extent, Dumoulin, who's just so far away despite a great start to his college career) are maybe just too unknown to get any votes. Anyhow, I love Bowman and think he rockets up the depth chart this year.
Agree, totalkev. Dayson Bowman gets my vote. Had he not have endured injury last season I think he would have easily been 2nd to Samson's 37 goals. While Bowman wasn't too noticeable in his first few games in Carolina, near the end I thought he was really making strides. He, along with Samson in the final game vs. Boston were great and in my mind our best players. 17 goals in 56 games in his rookie AHL season for a 20-21 year old 3rd round pick is pretty encouraging for a natural goal scoring sniper. His team leading (along with Samson) 9 points in 6 playoff games were impressive too. I also like Bowmans attitude in that he absolutely doesn't want to spend too much time in the AHL. You can take that one of two ways, however I take it as he'll do what it takes to be the best he can which in return will earn him an NHL roster spot. I think had Bowman of played a full season or close to it for Albany, 25-30 goals would have been in reach. And that, for former 3rd round pick and player of his calibre at this early stage is impressive. If Bowman is in Charlotte this year and spends most of his time there, I wouldn't put it past him to notch 30-40 goals. If Bowman keeps it up, he stands a fairly good chance of being a top 6 LW if he can translate his goal scoring abilities to the NHL. It doesn't even matter if he is an ace or average defensively, so long as he can skate in the NHL and shoot the puck he'll likely be able to score goals and likely stand a good chance at 20-30.

Sanguinetti and Dumoulin are close here for me, but I just need to see more, personally. Dumoulin, while he had a tremendous year last year, hasn't accomplished nor proven himself enough for me to really get a firm grasp of where he could be and end up as an NHL'er. Just my personal opinion and feelings. As for Sanguinetti, his offensive game is top notch, skating and shot are A+. However, I need to see him develop in Charlotte this season and prove his defensive game can make strides. If not, he could be M.A. Bergeron v2.0.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
His defensive play is what he is touted for the most.
Im not saying he had an issue in his own end, but York's style at BC can mask alot of things especially corner work and dmen play through the neutral zone. The forwards have alot of responsibility through the neutral zone and in defensive end allowing the Dmen to focus on smaller areas. And he was playing with a very mobile back six and a hard charging group of forwards. All that speed makes the ice alot smaller especially in college hockey. It will be a vastly different game and system in the A or in the NHL when he will be required to do alot more. He will have alot to learn after leaving Chestnut Hill, IMO. Peronally Id prefer him be playing CHL hockey rather than playing in York's system, as i think it is bad for dmen development though it is quite successful when it comes to wins. The kid has all the skills, but that +40 is very deceptive when we are trying to judge how his defensive play translates.

JMHO

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I had to go with Bobby Sanguinetti here. I couldn't with a clear conscious vote for Dumoulin or Faulk, the other two I was choosing between for first defender after McBain, knowing that Sangs has more skill than both of those guys, IMO. Dumoulin reminds me a lot of Brett Carson coming up through the ranks and I think his team success has slightly skewed our realistic expectations for his game. I think he will ultimately end up being better than Carson, but I don't know if the offense translates. Faulk is simply too much of a wild card right now to really gauge. He was supposed to be a first round pick and we got him at 37th. He is a great goal scorer from the blue line and has some tremendous natural abilities, but I think Sanguinetti has him beat there.

Bowman was the pretty obvious choice at forward, but I don't have a ton of faith in the kid after what I saw of him last year. I think Bowman and Boychuk actually took steps backwards last year while a slew of other guys went forward.

Mike Murphy is also a consideration, but I wonder about his ability to translate. There have been tons of guys like him that have had tremendous Junior and AHL stats but never amounted to much of anything. I suppose we'll get the chance to see him if somebody is injured.

For now, Sanguinetti.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

^^Agreed. I think Sanguinetti goes here and Bowman is next.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Sangs for sure...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Scorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think Bowman and Boychuk actually took steps backwards last year while a slew of other guys went forward.

Wow really? I think you're being a bit harsh on those kids...

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
bleedgreen

i took bowman over sangs, though it was tough. i think we tend to like the new guys and forget what we thought of guys like bowman a year ago. ive never thought of him as a blue chipper, i never like prospects whose only calling card seems to be his shot - but i still think if he gets in at the right place at the right time he could be a legit sniper.

havent seen enough of sangs. i have seen dumoulin. i think he is a long term prospect, a little too far off. i think by the time he arrives at the top 5 a bunch of our others will have moved on. its not like i dont think he is a legit prospect, hes just a little too raw and young. next year i think he will be a top 5 for me. I think he has the raw talent to be a nhl d man, i just dont know what kind or how good yet.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
Wow really? I think you're being a bit harsh on those kids...
Boychuk in particular was supposed to be one of the most NHL ready prospects in the 2008 entry draft at the time he was selected. He was considered a low risk, medium reward type talent. When you compare his development to say, Tyler Ennis, then you can really see what Boychuk has left on the table developmentally.

Not to mention that as an October 4th birthday, he narrowly missed being a 2007 eligible prospect. He's going to spend October to February next season being the same age as Brandon Sutter.

I just don't have a lot of faith in a kid that has work ethic concerns rise about when he turns professional. It was the first I had heard of it from Jeff Daniels and even some of our staff. Talk of taking shifts off and not taking the AHL seriously enough when he wasn't exactly tearing the league apart as it was. I watched at least 40 games Albany played last year in which Boychuk played quite a few and he didn't really jump off the page to me. He would occasionally make a play that let you know he has some serious talent, but in terms of creating for himself and grinding out shifts all over the ice he just didn't seem to have it in him.

Bowman was even worse everywhere outside of the offensive zone. He has a lethal, lethal shot but almost every other aspect of his game is underwhelming. I know he's going to take some time to grow into his frame, but it was embarrassing last year how badly he was pushed around even in the AHL. He's not quite shifty enough to get away with being a floater in professional hockey right now. I didn't like his level of compete either, to be honest. I thought he could have battled better on the boards and really asserted himself a lot more.

Both of these guys are naturally talented enough to thrive at the next level, but last year brought about some very real questions regarding their ability to translate to the NHL game for me. These guys could have easily convinced JR that they were ready for full time duty but nobody really seized the opportunity that was provided for them. Nobody stepped up and said, "Okay, this is my job now", the way Sutter did. Boychuk was demoted, played a strong 15-20 games in the AHL, and then sulked for the rest of the year until he was called up. Then he tried to turn it back on and he couldn't do it until the very end of the year. I just didn't like it.

As limited as I think Tlusty's upside to be, I would advocate giving him a chance above either of those two guys right now until they prove they're going to earn it in the AHL before they're handed NHL time.

Both guys seem to have a sense of entitlement not befitting their talent level. Bowman made a few odd remarks regarding his stay in Albany as well which were a bit disconcerting.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I guess I'll just keep voting for Sangs till he comes off the board...

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

wow, Bowman ahead of Sangs and Dum... I don't understand the love, I'm not sure he'll ever play consistently in the NHL

Old
08-03-2010, 08:50 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
wow, Bowman ahead of Sangs and Dum... I don't understand the love, I'm not sure he'll ever play consistently in the NHL
Fearing too much Tanabe in Sanguinetti, and Dumoulin is just so far away and so hard to project because of the dominant team he plays for.

Plus, bumping since we have such a good battle going on for No. 6.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Fearing too much Tanabe in Sanguinetti, and Dumoulin is just so far away and so hard to project because of the dominant team he plays for.

Plus, bumping since we have such a good battle going on for No. 6.
Agree with this. My fear is Sanguinetti is so one-dimensional he's a clone of M.A. Bergeron. I am really hoping to see some strides defensively from his this year. As for Dumoulin, he's just not proven enough for me on the radar, yet.

Edit: And wow.. what a poll this is.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:32 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Sangs
Dumoulin
Bowman
Murphy
Terry
Osala

in order.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Agree with this. My fear is Sanguinetti is so one-dimensional he's a clone of M.A. Bergeron. I am really hoping to see some strides defensively from his this year. As for Dumoulin, he's just not proven enough for me on the radar, yet.

Edit: And wow.. what a poll this is.
Not like we as an organization put too much on being defensively responsible... Look who we signed and didn't sign this year in our own end...

Old
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not like we as an organization put too much on being defensively responsible... Look who we signed and didn't sign this year in our own end...
The point is Sanguinetti's defensive game is lacking quite a bit as of today. Atleast Pitkanen and Corvo can play respectable defence and log 23-30 minutes a game. You can't count on M.A. Bergeron (my example) to do that and if Sanguinetti doesn't round out his defensive game he may be much of the same.

Also, you can make fault all you want about a more offensive minded defence, last I checked a defence as such got us to the Conference Finals. I think I'm willing to give it a try. Every year seems to change. We won the cup with a pretty blah and mediocre defence on paper.

Old
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3289
Quote:
The difference is, I wouldn't call any of our defenseman a liability in his own end, while Sangs, with the comparison to M.A. Bergeron, is. Pitkanen wanders a lot, but he has good speed and gets back to the zone quickly, and while in the zone is a good defender. Corvo is average in the zone, but is in no way a liability. Babs hopefully learned more about defensive zone play in the K, and McBain never seemed too shaky to me last year. Sangs decision making and defensive ability are, to put it nicely, lacking. Hopefully in Charlotte Daniels can coach him up good, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley took him under his wing, because the talent is there.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
The difference is, I wouldn't call any of our defenseman a liability in his own end, while Sangs, with the comparison to M.A. Bergeron, is. Pitkanen wanders a lot, but he has good speed and gets back to the zone quickly, and while in the zone is a good defender. Corvo is average in the zone, but is in no way a liability. Babs hopefully learned more about defensive zone play in the K, and McBain never seemed too shaky to me last year. Sangs decision making and defensive ability are, to put it nicely, lacking. Hopefully in Charlotte Daniels can coach him up good, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley took him under his wing, because the talent is there.
Very well said, Jgusta. I think you get my drift and we likely see this in the same sort of way.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
geehaad

So are these polls official in any capacity...i.e. are they used as the organization rankings on HockeysFuture.com?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote