Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

[SWE] Steen or Eriksson?

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2004, 01:11 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
[SWE] Steen or Eriksson?

As a fan over in Sweden, who do you think...

1. Has a brighter future?
2. Is a safer bet?
3. Will be the better player for his NHL team as well as the National team?
4. Was most consistent throughout the season?

And looking at playoff performance, which player was the major reason both put up great numbers?

Old
05-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Hehe.. knew you would post something like this..

Still, it's unfair, you are comparing a younger rookie with a 3rd year "veteran". It's kinda leaning in Steen's favor the way you set up those questions. Regardless, I would expect Steen to come out on top anyhow, and am still looking forward to the eloborations.

Here's my try as an European ousider:

1) Undecided
2) Steen, easily
3) NHL team: *Loui; National team: No idea.
4) Steen I figure, more experience brings more consistency.

5) Again Steen. It was his 3rd trip to the playoffs, Loui's 1st.

* Loui is the only quality prospect the Stars have at RW. And has quite possibly the highest potential among all. The Stars will treat him carefuly and I expect him to get a top 6 role without much competition. Steen on the other hand, appears to be more versatile, but has a much stronger competition (Antropov, Stajan, Wellwood ).

Old
05-24-2004, 01:35 AM
leafaholix*

This was Steen's second full season, not third.

And it was his second trip to the playoffs.

As for the thread, I figured I'd come to where the people are more educated then you and I on these two players. It's not an attempt to make Steen look the better of the two, but to get an honesty opinion.

Hopefully you have a couple better questions for the Swedes.

Old
05-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Fredrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
As a fan over in Sweden, who do you think...

2. Is a safer bet?

And looking at playoff performance, which player was the major reason both put up great numbers?
1. Steen. But Eriksson has improved a lot this season and I think he could end up the better player in the end.

2. Steen. He's one year older so it's easier to predict his future. Eriksson's upside is hard to predict but I'm sure he will reach the NHL.

3. Se question 1.

4. Eriksson. Steen's first half of the season was great but he slowed down during the latter stages. Steen has to improve in this area but I think he will.

Old
05-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
A
2. Is a safer bet?

1) Can't answer this question really. Both look very interesting and while Steen is more well rounded at this point, Eriksson is also a quite complete player IMO. Has more physical strength and speed than Steen, but Steen is definitely not a soft player. Can't go wrong with anyone, I'll stay with that.

2) Alexander Steen (older, more experienced, very mature, already a leader basically)

3) Another tough question, would have been easier had they been of equal age and both played in the SEL for the same amount of time. As for the NHL I have no real clue, but for the national team I'll assume Steen will be a top 2 center for years to come.. when Foppa and Sudden retires. Eriksson is a good scorer and those are needed as well, but I'll go with Steen.

4) Definitely Eriksson. Steen had 20-25 games where he actually did not score a single point I believe and did not play as well as earlier. Bounced back in the playoff. Eriksson did not see a lot of ice-time throughout the season but always played his fearless game and as he got adjusted to the play it resulted in quite a few points at the end of the season.

5) Steen was among the best players in the playoffs (with the exception of the very last games, perhaps), so Steen is my answer here.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
I future second line of Jokinen - Miettinen/Ott - Eriksson doesn't sound too bad, eh?
More like Jokinen - Kapanen - Miettinen.. Could be something..

Old
05-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Here are a few of my questions..

1) Who enjoyed a better rookie season? As in impact for both during the season and playoffs?
2) Who has the biggest weakness?
3) Compare the two at full potential using NHL players?
4) Would it be strange to prefer Loui? Would it have to involve bias picking Eriksson?

Thanks in advance for your help. It's a good discussion..

Old
05-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Putting a Routasydän like Jussi with TWO HPK-helmets? meh.
Kaps and Miets have some crazy chemestry like you probably know. They dazzled during their HPK days, during the WJC and even in camp which resulted in an all Finnish line for a game or 3 (Miettinen - Kapanen - Lehtinen). Adding Jokinen who's game isn't all that much different than Miets, and it could be a line carried by chemestry and a smart two-way game. Not necessarely tough or physical or anything, but they should make up for it in other facets of the game.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Jokinen's game is completly different. A Kärpät player put emphasis on putting the puck in play while a HPK player puts emphasis on keeping it in play, but it might be a good combo if Jokinen finds his goal scoring in NHL.
It was in the sense of both being defensively responsible while still being capable of some interesting offensive totals. I do feel Miettinen is more physical, he laid some major open ice hits early in the season.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
And Miettinen being far superior defensively. Jokinen isn't the typical all offensive player but he is not as good as Antti defensively.
He's just not as good as Miettinen, period..

Old
05-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud

1) Who enjoyed a better rookie season? As in impact for both during the season and playoffs?
4) Would it be strange to prefer Loui? Would it have to involve bias picking Eriksson?

1) Definitely Loui Eriksson. Steen only played half the games during his rookie season, but on the other hand he was 1 year younger than Eriksson when he entered the SEL.

2) Oh, very tough question as both don't have a major weakness. One could pick several things probably, I'd say Steen because he is not as willing to take the shot, but then again.. that isn't always a weakness.

3) I don't like comparing players really, and when I do it usually to Swedish NHLers. So, Loui Eriksson - a mix of Daniel Alfredsson, Mikael Renberg. Steen - a more physical Henrik Zetterberg. Rather bold predictions, but if they reach their full potential they can both certainly become very good second line players and perhaps even first line players.

4) Not at all, they are very close IMO. One year ago it would have been, but Eriksson made huge strides this season and has emerged as a top prospect - still very underrated on these boards IMO.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
I would rank him above Miettinen as a player, due to his explosivity.
Antti Miettinen's last two seasons in the FNL, at the age 21 and 22:

2001/2002 .. 56 games: 19 goals - 37 assists for 56 points (08 .. 2-4 for 6 points in the playoffs)
2002/2003 .. 53 games: 25 goals - 25 assists for 50 points (10 .. 1-7 for 8 points in the playoffs)

Including MVP honours in 2003.

Jussi Jokinen's last two seasons in the FNL, at the age 19 and 20:

2002/2003 .. 51 games: 14 goals - 23 assists for 37 points (15 .. 2-1 for 3 points in the playoffs)
2003/2004 .. 55 games: 15 goals - 23 assists for 38 points (15 .. 3-4 for 7 points in the playoffs)

Add Miettinen's superior defensive game and his ability to give bone crushing hits, how can Jokinen even be considered the better player? Maybe I am forgetting something though, but, please clarify on that.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
1) Definitely Loui Eriksson. Steen only played half the games during his rookie season, but on the other hand he was 1 year younger than Eriksson when he entered the SEL.
And what if you were to compare Loui's rookie season (18 years old) with Steen's sophomore season (18 years old)? Since that was actually Steen's first full season in the SEL, wasn't it?

on the rest of your post..

Old
05-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Ever heard of linemates?
Wasn't Miettinen the best one of the trio (Sumorviouri and who else again??)? But even then, the difference in their respective stats is too big to just say it was because of better linemates.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Predatore

Quote:
And what if you were to compare Loui's rookie season (18 years old) with Steen's sophomore season (18 years old)?
yes. Then I would probably give the nod (although not by a lot) to Steen. Overall he saw more ice-time and was a more important player for Frölunda then Eriksson was this season. Steen, just like Eriksson, played well in the playoffs as well while standing out more during the regular season IMO. Very close though.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Fredrik

Quote:

I'm not sure I can answer questions 1-3. To prefer Loui at this point would involve a bias but not that much so if you're talking about potential you would definitely not be the laughing stock of the hockey community.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
The swedish WJC-coach Torgny Bendelin described Eriksson as the biggest talent in Swedish hockey a few weeks ago when Eriksson were named rookie of the year in the SEL. So, no would have to be the answer here.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
The swedish WJC-coach Torgny Bendelin described Eriksson as the biggest talent in Swedish hockey a few weeks ago when Eriksson were named rookie of the year in the SEL. So, no would have to be the answer here.
I totally forgot that..

BTW, yet another question:

This will be a tough one, but, project Loui's totals for next season..

Is 10 goals, 10 assists asked too much?

Old
05-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Kronblom

I would be suprised if Loui didn´t reach 20 points next season, but it´s hard to predict anything at this stage since they haven´t filled their roster yet.

http://www.frolundaindians.com/India...asp?qsKullID=1

Old
05-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Predatore

not easy to predict, I'll do a Prospect Prediction thread sometime in August (like I did last year, but you all remember the big board crash - which erased all messages, so I had little use of that thread ))

I predict Loui to get 20-25 points, 10-15 goals.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:08 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
As I explained in the other thread, it was strange that Hab fans were selecting Eriksson over Steen... and that it was clearly a bias considering most of them are too caught up in their own prospects to even know who the hell Loui Eriksson is.

It's unfortunate you can't seem to understand that.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:29 PM
johpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
Ericsson is a very good player and he is a big talent but if you watched J-20 National Team Camp at Ritorps ishall this weekend you where able to compare Ericsson and Söderberg because they played against each other the whole time. I would definitely say after what I saw that Carl Söderberg is a new star in the Swedish WJC-team and he is even more talented than Ericsson. Today Söderberg is great skater. Just pick up the phone and ask Torgny Bendelin about it you will hear that Bendelin is very impressed of Söderberg. Just two month ago when you watched Söderberg he was good player but today he is a fantastic good player. I would say that his potential is enormous.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
As I explained in the other thread, it was strange that Hab fans were selecting Eriksson over Steen... and that it was clearly a bias considering most of them are too caught up in their own prospects to even know who the hell Loui Eriksson is.

It's unfortunate you can't seem to understand that.
How do you know so surely? Have you ever thought about the possibility that fans honestly prefer Loui, regardless who's property he or Steen is? There doesn't have to be any bias involved, for or against. Also, I'd be curious to see your excuse for the non-Hab fans that picked Loui..

Old
05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
They dazzled during their HPK days, during the WJC and even in camp which resulted in an all Finnish line for a game or 3 (Miettinen - Kapanen - Lehtinen).
Miettinen and Kapanen never really played together at HPK. By the time Miettinen was anything more than a complete spare SM-Liiga player, Kapanen had moved to TPS (for a season before coming to NA)...

EDIT: They also never played on the same WJC team. They played on the same line at the World Championships one year though.

Last edited by Dr GLU: 05-24-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old
05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
How do you know so surely? Have you ever thought about the possibility that fans honestly prefer Loui, regardless who's property he or Steen is? There doesn't have to be any bias involved, for or against. Also, I'd be curious to see your excuse for the non-Hab fans that picked Loui..
At this point, unless you've seen them both play, there's no reason to choose Eriksson ahead of Steen.

It's simple.

Closed Thread