HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton....what do you want?

Old
08-01-2010, 06:48 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500

Ok, so I get everyone hates him as our #1 and thinks he sucks. So, what does he have todo to earn your trust? If he is great in the first 20 games? .920 save percentage? Beats Pitt/wash? What can he do to turn u into believers? Curious....

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
TheTaekster

Win the cup.

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Jester

1) stop giving up **** rebounds like they're going out of style

2) stop giving up weak goals with some regularity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Close his ******* five-hole for starters.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

1) fix his weak 5 hole
2) stop letting in easy goals
3) learn rebound control
4) develop 2nd save ability (to help with his rebound control)

edit: almost forgot, 5) could stand better reflexes.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Start Leighton*

Just look at that he looks like a goof.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Ok, so I get everyone hates him as our #1 and thinks he sucks. So, what does he have todo to earn your trust? If he is great in the first 20 games? .920 save percentage? Beats Pitt/wash? What can he do to turn u into believers? Curious....
He can boost Giroux's shooting confidence in practice.

The rest of the stuff mentioned in this thread is out of his reach.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Win the cup.
This.
We had a Stanley Cup within our grasp and he fell down to Earth. This is the only thing that can redeem his awful performance in last year's Stanley Cup Final.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He can boost Giroux's shooting confidence in practice.

The rest of the stuff mentioned in this thread is out of his reach.
pretty much this. if he was a rookie...sure, why not. but at this point, he'd need to do the impossible.

Old
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja

Less goals, more saves.

I don't care how he does it, but I doubt he will. Hopefully he makes an a-hole out of me and kills it next season, but I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
This.
We had a Stanley Cup within our grasp and he fell down to Earth. This is the only thing that can redeem his awful performance in last year's Stanley Cup Final.
Yeah because Michael Leighton was THE ONLY REASON that the Flyers didn't win the Cup. Had nothing to do with our third defensive pairing playing <5 minutes a game because they couldn't be trusted and Carter having two points in the series and Richards having two points in the series and Gagne having two points in the series. But yeah, definitely Leighton not playing great was this team's downfall. He put up solid numbers all year long for the Flyers. Doesn't matter if it was pretty or not. His numbers were solid. They got W's. Richards, Gagne, and Carter were non-existent in the Finals and there are no threads here saying we need to upgrade our top line, etc. I am not convinced that Leighton is a superstar or anything like that, but he certainly played well enough last season to earn the contract he got.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

It's threads like this that make me want to almost throw Bobrovsky to the wolves just to get some actual talent between our pipes.

With our luck though, he'd get lit up destroying his confidence completely before he makes a return trip to Russia.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
In all reality, just be consistent. I'm not going to act like these idiots who seriously want him to be perfect in every aspect while getting paid like a nobody.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

Not give up that goal to Kane. That's what I want from Leighton.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I hope he wins the Vezina this year, and the Cup, then we can ditch his ass next season.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Flyerfan4life

Don't worry about what the leighton haters think..

Even if he plays like Jesus, they would find fault..

He's earned his spot, so I'm not basing my opinion till well into the season upcoming, that will show us what he's made of.

I'm looking forward with excitement to seeing him between the pipes..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
1) fix his weak 5 hole
2) stop letting in easy goals
3) learn rebound control
4) develop 2nd save ability (to help with his rebound control)

edit: almost forgot, 5) could stand better reflexes.
I'd settle for 1 and 2. Especially 2. Bad goals are just soul-crushing. With our D the rebound stuff is something you can live with, to a point...if he cleans it up to the point where he's making the first save and not allowing softies we go as far as the offense takes us.

The 5-hole though, sheesh, sometimes I wonder why he has a goal stick. When you see the goal-cam shot from behind Leighton, a puck's going through his legs, and his stick is 8" off the ice as the puck slides under, it's maddening.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
Don't worry about what the leighton haters think..

Even if he plays like Jesus, they would find fault..

He's earned his spot, so I'm not basing my opinion till well into the season upcoming, that will show us what he's made of.

I'm looking forward with excitement to seeing him between the pipes..
The kind of excitement that gives you heart attacks you mean. Also known as Brad lidge excitement in the Phillies universe.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
bennysflyers16

To demand a trade to the Pens or Caps !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
To work on his movement inside the crease. He's very slow.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:41 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Personally, I say give the guy a shot. I would sooner blame Lavi for not putting Boosh back in to start game 6. And I'd also blame the right defenseman for not covering cane's angle better. Kane got around him. I don't even remember who it was but kane got the step on him. Better coverage, that shot wouldn't have even happened, and who knows.

Let leighton get his shot on an actual starting load.

And **** the haters who will be quick to point the finger at him for losses. Don't forget, homer just shook up the chemistry, so I say let's revisit this at game 30 and THEN assess him.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah because Michael Leighton was THE ONLY REASON that the Flyers didn't win the Cup. Had nothing to do with our third defensive pairing playing <5 minutes a game because they couldn't be trusted and Carter having two points in the series and Richards having two points in the series and Gagne having two points in the series. But yeah, definitely Leighton not playing great was this team's downfall. He put up solid numbers all year long for the Flyers. Doesn't matter if it was pretty or not. His numbers were solid. They got W's. Richards, Gagne, and Carter were non-existent in the Finals and there are no threads here saying we need to upgrade our top line, etc. I am not convinced that Leighton is a superstar or anything like that, but he certainly played well enough last season to earn the contract he got.
1) the third defensive pairing couldn't be trusted because leighton wasn't capable of helping them out. a lot of the goals that were scored on that pairing are just as much on leighton as them, if not more so.

2) chicago's top line disappeared as well, so i don't really care about that. they threw their best defense at our top line, and for good reason. lets not forget that gagne came back very early from foot surgery and was playing through pain, and carter had two broken feet.

3) his numbers are helped by Boosh coming in and taking a lot of the losses he earned away from him. in the playoffs, boosh got us past the only decent offense we faced in the east. leighton faced the bruins missing krecji, who apparently held their offense together (according to boston fans who should know this kind of thing), and montreal...who were just awful offensively. he met a real offense in the finals and got shredded.

and finally...what i think was the deciding factor between philly and chicago, was niemi making key saves when he needed to, while leighton let in absolutely backbreaking goals.

is leighton perfect? no. do i expect him to be? no. is it his fault that he's been put in a situation where he is highly likely to fail? no.

what i want is a real starting goalie, who has at least had a starting load, and who can be more dynamic. i don't want hasek or roy. just anyone decent. leighton isn't that goalie. its holmgren's fault he's starting. however, in GDTs, youll see me tearing into leighton and homer equally..because now that leighton is our starter, he needs to ****ing play like one. unfortunately, he wont, because he leaves massive rebounds, and he can't make a second save worth ****. the longer he is our goalie, the more the rest of the league will realize this. everyone in the league got a good look at leighton's weaknesses in the playoffs, and i bet they were taking notes.

Old
08-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
Personally, I say give the guy a shot. I would sooner blame Lavi for not putting Boosh back in to start game 6. And I'd also blame the right defenseman for not covering cane's angle better. Kane got around him. I don't even remember who it was but kane got the step on him. Better coverage, that shot wouldn't have even happened, and who knows.

And **** the haters who will be quick to point the finger at him for losses. Don't forget, homer just shook up the chemistry, so I say let's revisit this at game 30 and THEN assess him.
it doesnt matter what the defenseman does, if the goalie is sliding into his own ****ing net, its going to be a goal. im pretty sure it was timonen, and he did everything he could do. he kept kane to the outside, kane took a shot, leighton played it like he was having a stroke, and it went in. if he had been positioned correctly, it wouldve hit him in the chest.

edit: just watched the replay. leighton was in the process of rotating backwards when the shot went in. why??

edit 2: ill give him until game 10. if he's failed by game 30, its too late.

edit 3: never mind, ill give him 15. by then he will have faced the pens 3 times and the caps once

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-01-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old
08-01-2010, 09:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post

Leighton is our starting LOAD. It's o.k we know you bought a leighton jersey. you can wear it. (just not in public)

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
BringBackStevens

Not give up weak goals. That's all this team needs

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote