HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pretty big skate dilemma

Old
07-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Pretty big skate dilemma

Hey there guys, hope all is well. Sorry for such a long post, I hope some of you can read it and help me out here, cause I certainly need it.

I have been attempting to get back into hockey after a relatively long hiatus, from which I've lost most of my skill as well as all my smoothness on the ice. I've been working on getting that back, and I've done so through going to open skates as frequently as I can, as well as some open stick and puck sessions. My ultimate goal is to play for one of the club teams where I'm heading to college in just a few weeks, West Virginia University, which I'm told doesn't exactly have the best club teams, so it's an attainable goal by sophomore year at least.

I bought a budget pair of skates (Bauer X:20s) before I bought anything else, and this was back in late May. At first the skates were okay, not overly comfortable, but decent at least for what I spent. I was having a little issue tying them tight enough for me to skate well with the stock laces, so I got some really nice wax laces which I could get a nice tight tie with. I've been making leaps and bounds with my skating now that I've got a decently tight tie so I'm not bending any more. However, the more I use the skate and the longer I use it, my feet start to really hurt around the toe box area. I had them baked and everything and I'm getting to the point where they should be relatively broken in already. My feet really hurt when I take them off, and today, after I skated for about 40 minutes, I took them off and my feet were so swollen it hurt to stand up. They're not tied too tight at all.

I went into the proshop to tell the kid there about my goal and if I should maybe already get into looking for better skates someday soon. He said that I definitely should and if I wanted to be playing on any sort of pretty decent team, the X:20's wouldn't be good. However, the thing that really bothered me was that he then put my bare foot on the measuring thing, and it turned out I should be a 9 in skates. (I wear 11.5 or 12 shoes). Right now, in my skates bought from that very same proshop, where the owner's son fit me, I am wearing 10.5's. I looked down at the measurer and it was right, my foot was just before the 9. I'm 18, and my foot's done growing.

What should I do? I can't skate for too long comfortably with these. It seems terrible to already have to save up for a decent pair of skates, especially when just starting college, but I guess it has to be done. Can I sell the pair I have now? Tryouts for the team are kind of soon, is there anywhere I can maybe buy a lightly used pair of nice skates that I can get baked again? Anyone have some I can buy?

I'm very lost now as to what to do, any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, have a good one.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:05 PM
doobie604

are the skates not wide enough? sounds like theres a pressure point around your toe. you might be able to get it punched wider.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Hey there guys, hope all is well. Sorry for such a long post, I hope some of you can read it and help me out here, cause I certainly need it.

I have been attempting to get back into hockey after a relatively long hiatus, from which I've lost most of my skill as well as all my smoothness on the ice. I've been working on getting that back, and I've done so through going to open skates as frequently as I can, as well as some open stick and puck sessions. My ultimate goal is to play for one of the club teams where I'm heading to college in just a few weeks, West Virginia University, which I'm told doesn't exactly have the best club teams, so it's an attainable goal by sophomore year at least.

I bought a budget pair of skates (Bauer X:20s) before I bought anything else, and this was back in late May. At first the skates were okay, not overly comfortable, but decent at least for what I spent. I was having a little issue tying them tight enough for me to skate well with the stock laces, so I got some really nice wax laces which I could get a nice tight tie with. I've been making leaps and bounds with my skating now that I've got a decently tight tie so I'm not bending any more. However, the more I use the skate and the longer I use it, my feet start to really hurt around the toe box area. I had them baked and everything and I'm getting to the point where they should be relatively broken in already. My feet really hurt when I take them off, and today, after I skated for about 40 minutes, I took them off and my feet were so swollen it hurt to stand up. They're not tied too tight at all.

I went into the proshop to tell the kid there about my goal and if I should maybe already get into looking for better skates someday soon. He said that I definitely should and if I wanted to be playing on any sort of pretty decent team, the X:20's wouldn't be good. However, the thing that really bothered me was that he then put my bare foot on the measuring thing, and it turned out I should be a 9 in skates. (I wear 11.5 or 12 shoes). Right now, in my skates bought from that very same proshop, where the owner's son fit me, I am wearing 10.5's. I looked down at the measurer and it was right, my foot was just before the 9. I'm 18, and my foot's done growing.

What should I do? I can't skate for too long comfortably with these. It seems terrible to already have to save up for a decent pair of skates, especially when just starting college, but I guess it has to be done. Can I sell the pair I have now? Tryouts for the team are kind of soon, is there anywhere I can maybe buy a lightly used pair of nice skates that I can get baked again? Anyone have some I can buy?

I'm very lost now as to what to do, any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, have a good one.
Four words: Play It Again Sports. They'll give you a decent trade in for your used skates, and you'll have a good variety of used to choose from (if you're comfotable buying used skates, that is. )

Or go back to the store you got them from and explain to the owner that his son is a screw up. Usually smaller places are more apt to fix a mistake than a corporate store.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I always thought the skates were wide enough. I have a pretty standard width foot, and these seemingly were fine width wise.

I don't have a Play it Again by me, could I still do it online? Would they be really better than selling almost new skates online?

I don't want to cause a huge stir and go out and say what rink it is because other than this I've loved every minute I've spent there, but the owners are apparently really cheap, and will stand by their son if he sold me something laced with anthrax. I don't think that route would work, according to someone who knows them better than I do.

Old
07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

I've always had more luck with PIA than with selling stuff online. People like to jerk me around when I sell on CL, and the stuff I've sold on eBay has gone for much less than what the store would have given me. Of course it's up to you, that's just my experience.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Can you sell it to them online? I would have to do that.

I just have no idea what I could even do here. I guess I need skates regardless.

Old
07-23-2010, 10:22 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
First, smaller is (almost) always better than bigger when it comes to length. If there's any pressure points, you can get them punched out. Second, go to the new Pure Hockey that opened in NJ, I believe it is in Fairfield. There's tons of them around here and I've had really good experiences in the 3 times I've bought skates from them and I'm generally a pain to fit with my funny shaped feet.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
Wow, that really sucks. I have no idea.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Lario Melieux*

How long was your hiatus? And how long have you played?

I was recently in the same situation as you. Went back to school after 7 years of working and not playing, and joined the team. Brought out my old Bauer Supreme's which were top of the line 7 years ago, only to find that the boots were shot. Bought new skates a month into the season, they were Easton S11's or 13's for $300 which is midrange I guess, but they just don't feel right. I had them baked and everything. I use wax laces too. This was 8 months ago, and I've used them 2-3 times per week since then. They still make my foot sore. I tie them really, really tight for the bottom eyelets, and then looser for the top 2 or 3 eyelets. Doesn't hurt while skating, but after each shift it's a world of pain. Wish I could give you advice, but I'm not really sure... However, Depending on how long you've been skating, and how long your hiatus was, I can give you advice on if the X20's are a little below your skill level.

BTW, if you're playing for WVU, I'll see you this season...

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Does WVU suck? I hope so, I'm not that good yet. I played Roller hockey from ages 6-16 and ice from 8-14. Most of what remains is roller hockey fundamentals so I'm still bringing back what I remember from ice, and just getting my **** together in general. Right now I'm working on things that really just come down to ice time and getting used to it, such as vision, and overall what I guess you could call "hockey IQ." I'm decent on skates I would say. I never fall or anything, I'm decently quick, right now I'm just working on stopping which is coming a little slower than I would like. I'm decent now but I just need to work on stopping ALL momentum. I don't really kick up much snow. But that's the only thing I don't do well as far as skating goes. Right now I've been doing a lot of open skates, open stick and pucks, open rec hockey. If I don't make the team this year, I will continue to practice like that, but at some point organized team hockey in a serious league is in my future. So I guess maybe in that sense I should invest in nice skates since that is what is in store no matter what. I won't be giving up any time soon.

Greech, you're preaching to the choir brother. Pure Hockey opened here a month or two ago and I've lost so much income to that place it's ridiculous. HELL of a store. When I do save up and get a nice pair of skates which I guess is what's going to happen, that's where I'm going.

Old
07-24-2010, 02:03 AM
thefeebster

I strongly suggest a proper skate fitting with your LHS, whichever is the best in your area. It makes a world of a difference, compared to purchasing online. Every foot is different, so maybe Bauers aren't meant for your foot.

I went into my LHS looking for Bauers mid-range. Tried them on and felt pinching right away. The associate said it would probably go away with a bake. He also brought something i didn't really ask for, Rbk 5ks. But thought it was worthwhile to at least try it on, no harm done, right? These felt amazing out of the box (before bakes/before pumps). I now feel its a softer boot compared to the Bauer Supreme55. I commented that it felt like wearing regular shoes.

I've gone to more than 20 skates, went skating for 3 hours today. No pain after any of those skates, besides a case of shin splints the first day - more of my injury history than the boot quality tbh. I have stock laces/stock insoles. So i really believe its about making the right choice when buying skates.

Sell on Craigslist or something, but be firm. I've paid asking price for more than a few items. I'm no haggler and if its a good deal and quality product, i'll buy. No harm at least posting. I see a ton of adds from guys saying they skated 4 times in their skates and say that they hate it/bought too big of a size/too small/etc. every day.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I can't really say what skates I like yet, I guess I'm going to have to go and try a bunch on. I just need money to do all this which I do not have right now. I better start saving I guess.

I was looking at skates at the proshop after I spoke to the kid who told me I should probably save up, and just based purely on looks, some higher end CCMs looked nice. The inside material seemed thick but very moldable for baking which I thought I would like.

Regardless, I guess I need new skates now, which sucks bad.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
thefeebster

I don't think you need a lot of money or need to get the high end models.

Mine were $200. Most of us are never going to be pros, and will unlikely see the difference between a $300-400 skate to a $700 one. Thats at least how i see it. It should be about comfort, not which ones look nice. And let's face it, most boots today are generally appealing and aren't really fugly. Sure we will all have our personally tastes, but i think comfort trumps that especially as you felt the pain of bad skates. I don't really like the mission line aesthetically, but they had steep discounts so of course i tried it. Felt very narrow for my liking, but at least i tried it.

If i were you, i'd try to find some used exchange stores in your area and keep tracking craigslist. I think you can find some used Grafs (if you really want comfort/moldability). Regular price they are expensive, but i've seen some used Grafs for $60 in used but decent condition at our local consignment store. Could go cheaper, but most need new runners, which aren't that expensive either.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I wasn't necessarily planning on spending that much, it'd be impossible for me anyway, I don't have that kind of money. I was looking to spend at most maybe $400.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Does WVU suck? I hope so, I'm not that good yet. I played Roller hockey from ages 6-16 and ice from 8-14. Most of what remains is roller hockey fundamentals so I'm still bringing back what I remember from ice, and just getting my **** together in general. Right now I'm working on things that really just come down to ice time and getting used to it, such as vision, and overall what I guess you could call "hockey IQ." I'm decent on skates I would say. I never fall or anything, I'm decently quick, right now I'm just working on stopping which is coming a little slower than I would like. I'm decent now but I just need to work on stopping ALL momentum. I don't really kick up much snow. But that's the only thing I don't do well as far as skating goes. Right now I've been doing a lot of open skates, open stick and pucks, open rec hockey. If I don't make the team this year, I will continue to practice like that, but at some point organized team hockey in a serious league is in my future. So I guess maybe in that sense I should invest in nice skates since that is what is in store no matter what. I won't be giving up any time soon.

Greech, you're preaching to the choir brother. Pure Hockey opened here a month or two ago and I've lost so much income to that place it's ridiculous. HELL of a store. When I do save up and get a nice pair of skates which I guess is what's going to happen, that's where I'm going.
It's tough to say.... based on that I would say stick with the x20's and try to improve with them... but if you've been skating six years you could probably bump up to a little higher end skate.

I'd probably stick with the x20's for now. But then again, if you're set on playing for the team eventually, and are going to practice on your own this year if you don't make the team, it makes sense to get a decent pair and learn in those pair instead of a pair that you're just going to switch anyways.

Wish I could be more help... Good luck!

Old
07-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Thanks. I would stick with the X:20's for sure but the only thing stopping me from doing that is the wrong size and how uncomfortable they are. I don't think that's any way to be practicing.

Old
07-24-2010, 02:16 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
I always thought the skates were wide enough. I have a pretty standard width foot, and these seemingly were fine width wise.

I don't have a Play it Again by me, could I still do it online? Would they be really better than selling almost new skates online?

I don't want to cause a huge stir and go out and say what rink it is because other than this I've loved every minute I've spent there, but the owners are apparently really cheap, and will stand by their son if he sold me something laced with anthrax. I don't think that route would work, according to someone who knows them better than I do.
I see you're in Hawthorne. Look up Pregame Pro Shop in Westwood, NJ. They'll take your skates and they have a pretty large selection of used skates. Ask for the owner, Gary. He set me up with skates a few years ago and I've never been happier. I have really odd feet and he made it happen. So if he could find skates for me, he'll find something for you.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
I see you're in Hawthorne. Look up Pregame Pro Shop in Westwood, NJ. They'll take your skates and they have a pretty large selection of used skates. Ask for the owner, Gary. He set me up with skates a few years ago and I've never been happier. I have really odd feet and he made it happen. So if he could find skates for me, he'll find something for you.
They buy used skates? It's only about 20 minutes away from me, I may have to check this place out.

Can they bake them there?

Old
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
They buy used skates? It's only about 20 minutes away from me, I may have to check this place out.

Can they bake them there?
Yup, they'll take your old skates and put it towards a credit on another pair and they'll bake them too.

Old
07-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

What do you guys suggest as a good, durable, lightweight, and most of all comfy skate? I mean obviously I'll try them all on but maybe I'll look at a pair of Grafs. Would they have them there?

Old
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
What do you guys suggest as a good, durable, lightweight, and most of all comfy skate? I mean obviously I'll try them all on but maybe I'll look at a pair of Grafs. Would they have them there?
You'll have to see when you get there, but it's definitely not impossible, especially since you have a fairly common size. You should be able to find something good.

Old
07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I don't wear a wider shoe size and I've never had a problem with my foot being too wide in any shoe. I'm probably a normal width aren't I? Is that like a D in skates?

Old
07-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Lario Melieux*

http://www.hockeygiant.com/hockey-gi...ey-skates.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/sizing.html#SKATE

Old
07-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Anyone ever use these: Bauer Supreme One70 skates

Any feedback? How are these? Should I get these?

Old
07-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One70's are great skates IF they fit your foot.

The key is getting skates that fit. I will take cheap skates that fit properly over expensive ones any day of the week.

You don't have to spend a ton to get good skates. The $300 range is going to be good enough for 95% of players. I wouldn't go much below $200 unless it's a clearance skate.

But you've got to get them fitted right. You could be skating in something a size too big or small. You need the super tight heel/ankle pocket but the right width up front. The fitting is key.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote