HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grant Marshall

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Grant Marshall

If we're losing both Dackell and Sundström offseason, Habs will need another right winger for their 3rd/4th lines. I'd like to see Zednik going other side and Ryder kept on 2nd line even if Habs get to keep Kovalev. What do you think, would it be good idea to sign Marshall or would he just become Randy McKay, episode two?

Gainey and Marshall share some history from their days in Dallas - even winning the Cup there together. I think he might be really good fit, adding little veteran leadership without being terribly old, lining up with maybe Bulis & Plekanec. He could provide rolemodel for Ryder & Ward, maybe even Milroy and Ferland, too.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
I don't see Marshall as an option for us. He is a player that could take icetime from Ward/Bulis if he is on the third line and he can be a hassle trying to find a spot for him. I would rather spend money on A centre like Dowd, Lapperiere, or Wright who can play 3rd and 4th line and not steal icetime from other players.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Marksman

Well, Bulis plays left wing and Ward would have the other checking/energy bottom line to play in anyway. Besides, Dowd Wright and Laperriere would be taking spots from young player like Plekanec for example.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Subban Fan

I think we gonna have to sign a good veteran via UFA to play on 3rd or 4th line...I would like BG to sign Sillinger or Drake!!!

Old
05-27-2004, 02:51 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Personally, if BG was looking for experience and grit. I woudl hope his list went as follows.

1. Dallas Drake
2. Grant Marshall

If neither are available, it's not worth it.

As for the comparison to McKay. McKay was on his last legs here in Montreal, Marshall still has a good 3-4-5 years in him yet.

Old
05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
need a gritty veteran RW?

Ian Laperriere says ''hello''.

Old
05-27-2004, 03:36 PM
SuperUnknown

How about a Bulis-Laperriere-Marshall third line? Wouldn't that kick arse?

Old
05-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
what the hell? do you guys want a youth movement or not? people complain and complain that we don't get enough youngsters in our lineup and now they want to push ward down to 4th line duty, replace either plekanec or higgins on the 3rd or 4th with laperriere....you guys are hopeless. :mad:

Old
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Marksman

Laperriere would be another good candidate, hes not that old either. Drake however, I'm not sure, he is what, 34-35?

I personally feel that in order to have youth movement you need to have support for them, some veterans to play with them too. Juneau and Dackell are gone, Dowd and Sundström might be gone too, Langdon is a fighter and I dont see Bulis or Begin as stabilizing characters for checking line just yet. I wouldnt want to give Ward that 3rd line spot without competition. In any case team needs someone to play on 4th unit RW. Preferably someone who can step up incase Ward gets hurt again.

Old
05-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000
what the hell? do you guys want a youth movement or not? people complain and complain that we don't get enough youngsters in our lineup and now they want to push ward down to 4th line duty, replace either plekanec or higgins on the 3rd or 4th with laperriere....you guys are hopeless. :mad:

And as for a "youth movement", no I don't want one. I want a few youngsters but not a movement of the sort. You need to remember that Plek and Higgs do not/have not played full time NHL hockey, so they need a transition, not a jump. Getting one or two older guys wouldn't be bad.

Who said sundstrom is going anywhere? Unless I missed out on that memo, I don't think he plans on leaving right?

Old
05-27-2004, 04:38 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000
You still need vets that will inspire and teach the youth. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a kid line. The third line is a shutdown line, one that is there to tire the opponent. I don't think we have the youth to fill this line yet. Sure, Ward is a decent player, but is he really a foundation for the team? He's too often injured to ever become a core player imo, like Benoit Brunet.

I'm all for a youth movement, but not just any youth movement. For example, there's no way that Montreal can afford to have Koivu-Ribeiro-Plekanec down the middle, it's just too small. Also, Plekanec is more suited to become a 1st/2nd liner, so if we want him for the years to come we'll have to decide if he's going to replace Koivu or Ribeiro.

Also, Laperriere and Marshall aren't exactly top talent. If they are bumped to the 4th line, they still make a good 4th line (think Langdon-Laperriere-Marshall). At the same time, Laperriere and Marshall can be inserted on the top two lines sporadically for specific situations.

I wouldn't want to have a rookie as our shutdown center, it's too much pressure. Slowly bring them in by giving them those roles from time to time.

Old
05-27-2004, 04:50 PM
EaGLE1

Ask yourself this question: Do we really need Grant Marshall? If McKay was no good, just imagine Marshall...Hey, we have Jason Ward!

Old
05-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
You still need vets that will inspire and teach the youth. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a kid line. The third line is a shutdown line, one that is there to tire the opponent. I don't think we have the youth to fill this line yet. Sure, Ward is a decent player, but is he really a foundation for the team? He's too often injured to ever become a core player imo, like Benoit Brunet.

I'm all for a youth movement, but not just any youth movement. For example, there's no way that Montreal can afford to have Koivu-Ribeiro-Plekanec down the middle, it's just too small. Also, Plekanec is more suited to become a 1st/2nd liner, so if we want him for the years to come we'll have to decide if he's going to replace Koivu or Ribeiro.

Also, Laperriere and Marshall aren't exactly top talent. If they are bumped to the 4th line, they still make a good 4th line (think Langdon-Laperriere-Marshall). At the same time, Laperriere and Marshall can be inserted on the top two lines sporadically for specific situations.

I wouldn't want to have a rookie as our shutdown center, it's too much pressure. Slowly bring them in by giving them those roles from time to time.
Actually having Plekanec on team would make it bigger at centre. Hes listed about 200 lbs (various sources) and seems to have some hardnose attitude aswell. Hes not small, just vertically challenged. He can kill penalties too, and has skating speed for forechecking and I'm sure Jarvis has taught him few things. Dont forget many good checking line centers are small sized... just look at this years Selke candidates Madden Draper and McCauley.

Old
05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Actually having Plekanec on team would make it bigger at centre. Hes listed about 200 lbs (various sources) and seems to have some hardnose attitude aswell. Hes not small, just vertically challenged. He can kill penalties too, and has skating speed for forechecking and I'm sure Jarvis has taught him few things. Dont forget many good checking line centers are small sized... just look at this years Selke candidates Madden Draper and McCauley.
Well, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time finding a team where the top 3 centers are all smaller than 6' (Ribeiro may be 6', but he's still small). I've seen some Bulldogs games and while Plekanec is physical, he's still on the smaller side. Koivu is small but feisty, but he's still small.

Old
05-27-2004, 06:38 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Jason Ward could make the job he is still young who know he can be better in the years to come !

Old
05-27-2004, 07:10 PM
RichardZednik#20

I see us going after a veteran 3rd line center for shuting down the other teams. We can't ask or expect Plekanec or Higgins to do that. Laperriere is the best option fallow by Sillinger and then I guess Dowd. Or go get Scatchard or Halpern in a trade.
That would leave someting along those lines:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev(PLEASE!!)
(ROOKIE-1)-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-(UFA-2)-(ROOKIE-3)
Langdon-Begin-Ward

R-1: I expect to spot to Plekanec. I think Hossa will have is chance but I see him has a 3rd liner now. Kastsitsyn also but he is ready, wouldgive him all the chance and a long look. Don't think higgins is ready to handle an important offensive role yet.

?-2: I expect Laperriere, exact player we need(hart,grit,experience,good guy,can fight,protect teammates,leadership,energy guy, well respected,big, right handed,hit hard,fan favorite for sure...)Sillinger would be a good one also, Dowd also but he is older and less effective IMO. Scartchard would be the best but would cost ous good prospect same for Halpern.

R-3: I expect Hossa for the start of the season for his final chance in MTL. Higgins could have the spot but I think he could use one more season to devellope his gae in a more offensive role, and why not think about Kastsitsyn if he is really that good.

For the defence I would love for ous to sign Matvitchuk. He could work well with Markov or Brisebois. But would mean Brisebois our Bouillon out with no chance for Hainsey. Plus I don't think we have the money anyway.

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Komi
Matvitchuk-Brisebois OR

Matvitchuk-Markov
Souray-Komi
Hainsey/Bouillon-Rivet

That would be great but...

Old
05-27-2004, 07:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev(PLEASE!!)
(ROOKIE-1)-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-(UFA-2)-(ROOKIE-3)
Langdon-Begin-Ward

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Komi
Matvitchuk-Brisebois OR

I'm with you on all of that, but I'd have different lines.

I love Laperriere if he's coupled with a couple speedy guys (Begin and Bulis on the third line?). Laperriere was "promoted" to the third line this year and played very well. We could get him for $1.5 mil or so too and he'd be an instant fan favorite. He's a good distraction until we can develop the kids some more. Seems like a no-brainer.

I love Matvichuk too, but I'm not sure he's ready to be on a third pairing, which is what he'd be in Montreal. A Matvichuk-Komisarek third pairing would be PERFECT and Matvichuk could show Komi the ropes and help him along like he did with Hatcher (remember how bad Hatcher was without Matvichuk the year after they were broken up?). Matvichuk could be used on a top pairing against an exceptional top line and wouldn't look out of place either (on the contrary). It would also prevent a Bouillon-Brisebois pairing...ugh. Hainsey could be the 7th guy and Bouillon could go on to greener pastures and more playing time somewhere else in the NHL.

Kovalev is another stopgap player who will make us a bit more competitive over the next couple years and make Koivu's job a bit easier (if Kovy doesn't float). It's a good gamble and in the end I do think Koivu could revive his career.

Marshall is a solid 4th line agitator with some size. I like him a lot and he'd be a great pickup as well, but we already have Ward who does a similar job and in fantasyland has some upside. I wouldn't be upset if we dumped Ward and picked up Marshall.

Langdon cannot be in the lineup regularly, his defense is horrible.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais/Bulis/Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis/Hossa-Begin-Laperriere
Hossa/Langdon-Plekanec-Ward

Souray-Brisebois
Markov-Rivet
Matvichuk-Komisarek
Hainsey

If we float Dagenais/Hossa/Bulis on the left side, one of them might click on the second line AND we could have a kid line as the fourth line and they might produce. If not, drop Lappy down to help them out and move Ward up to the 3rd line.

On defense, Souray has taken over the #1 job on this team in my mind and I would give him every chance to win it again, unless Markov just takes it from him. Let the two of them compete for it.

Matvichuk-Komisarek seems natural after Matvichuk-Hatcher in Dallas. That would be so good for Komisarek's development and confidence.

Hainsey is too talented to let immaturity get in the way. Break him in hard by sitting him in the pressbox and limiting his ice time. We need someone to replace Brisebois after next season and Hainsey would be a cheap alternative and he actually does a good job on the right side. He could be the #6 when Brisebois leaves and Komi can move up to the top 4.

The year after it could be:
Souray-Komisarek
Markov-Rivet
Matvichuk-Hainsey
Beauchemin

It wouldn't hurt if Gainey could pull a major deal somewhere here and get a big centerman like Allison. But that would be too much to ask of course.

Go Habs Go

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-27-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old
05-27-2004, 07:57 PM
RichardZednik#20

raketheleaves, I have no problem with that. we agree with the players, anyway line up can change so much. But one thing tough: Where is the right handed centerman Gainey really want . Thats why I have Lappy on center, maybe some like this Begin-Lappy-Bulis/Hossa.

Old
05-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Mike8

Always liked Marshall's game. If the price is right, he'd be an asset.

Old
05-28-2004, 08:18 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
raketheleaves, I have no problem with that. we agree with the players, anyway line up can change so much. But one thing tough: Where is the right handed centerman Gainey really want . Thats why I have Lappy on center, maybe some like this Begin-Lappy-Bulis/Hossa.
I know Lappy can play center, but how good is he there? Isn't he mainly a right winger? Is his skating good enough?

Old
05-28-2004, 11:13 AM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I know Lappy can play center, but how good is he there? Isn't he mainly a right winger? Is his skating good enough?
Well he had a 54% for face off this season witch is good(241W-205L-446T) and I don't think speed can be a problem when we had Juneau there last season . No seriously, he is not the best skater but he is not bad either, and is hard work helps him in that department.

Closed Thread