HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats Ribeiros Upside????

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2004, 11:44 AM
  #1
Jovo Cop
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kingston Penetentiar
Country: Canada
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Whats Ribeiros Upside????

What do you all think is the maximun potential of the kid .I admit being dissapointed in his playoff acting and playoff play .However i feel he will learn some valuable lessons from the stir it created .For the record i feel in my heart he was really hurt ..but his immaturity led to the taunting and laughing .
I think he can be a 30 goal 70 point guy .

Jovo Cop is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
  #2
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovo Cop
What do you all think is the maximun potential of the kid .I admit being dissapointed in his playoff acting and playoff play .However i feel he will learn some valuable lessons from the stir it created .For the record i feel in my heart he was really hurt ..but his immaturity led to the taunting and laughing .
I think he can be a 30 goal 70 point guy .
I doubt he will ever put that many goals

20 goals 30 assists, imo.

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
  #3
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
He pretty much reached his upside this season.. I even wonder if it wasn't a fluke. We'll see!

Rahan is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:53 AM
  #4
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
I doubt he will ever get those kind of numbers. Well 70 points is certainly not out of the question but 30 goals would be surprising. He doesn't have a great shot and his goals are usually of the highlight real type, which are great to watch but do not add up quickly. He likes to undress the goalies and score in an empty net. Very creative, but not a true scorer.

As fas as upside is concerned, I think he won't get much more than 60 points a year now that the league knows him and treats him accordingly. But if he works on his skating and strength during the summer, he could get even better and more importantly, be a bit less useless in the playoffs. It's up to him. I'm not his biggest fan, but what he did last year earns him the right to prove himself as the #2 center one more time to see if there's room for improvement.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:01 PM
  #5
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Craig Janney...if we're lucky.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
  #6
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
This year was very good for him, I really doubt he can duplicate that again, unless Koivu goes down early again, before Plekanec and/or Higgins are broken in.

I think he will be little like Andrew Cassels. Hes never going to score more than 20 goals, because he does not have break-away speed, strength to muscle himself in or great shot. But with his playmaking skills he can rack up plenty of assists, if he is provided with right kind of sniper on his wing.

15g+40a 2nd line center.

Marksman is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:12 PM
  #7
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovo Cop
What do you all think is the maximun potential of the kid .I admit being dissapointed in his playoff acting and playoff play .However i feel he will learn some valuable lessons from the stir it created .For the record i feel in my heart he was really hurt ..but his immaturity led to the taunting and laughing .
I think he can be a 30 goal 70 point guy .
Like many others here, I would say he's pretty much reached his peak. Maybe he can have one big career super-season with 30 goals and 70 points if everything falls magically into place for him (e.g. Koivu injury, chance to play with star linemates), but otherwise 50ish points would seem to me to be his general niche. In today's game. But today's game may be evolving towards a bit more of an open style, which would bump his points up accordingly.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:12 PM
  #8
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I think he will be little like Andrew Cassels. Hes never going to score more than 20 goals, because he does not have break-away speed, strength to muscle himself in or great shot. But with his playmaking skills he can rack up plenty of assists, if he is provided with right kind of sniper on his wing.

15g+40a 2nd line center.
agree 100%!

His only chance to really improve is if the NHL comes back to offensive hockey.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM
  #9
GilleZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
I think it we will know what he can bring when we will know who will play with him. I think that Ribs didn't had great playoffs because they were the Kid line. They didn't had any playoff experience.

Rider/Ribs/Dag

We can blame Ribs alot, but Rider had only one goal and zero for Dag. So if Rider is better next year, i dont see why Ribs cannot be better. Now we just need to find a player to complement these two and we could be very surprised.

So, I dont know why some of you guys think that Ribs was a fluke when he was one of the biggest reason why we where in the playoffs.

We must stop the comparaison of Koivu and Ribs. For sure Koivu was a god, but Koivu is a playoff performer and we must let Ribs and Ryder learn what to do to win in tense situation.

Look at Lecavalier last year in the playoffs and this year!!

GilleZ is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:22 PM
  #10
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,401
vCash: 500
Honestly, I don't really know. He has one of the best set of hands in the NHL and he can produce a lot on the powerplay. When it's on even strenght, he's not that good. He will from times to times but he's not strong and fast enough to create space on the ice on ES. He will also always disapear in the playoffs. I mean he guy will always be fun to watch on the powerplay in the regular season. Besides that, well he's pretty useless.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
  #11
habsfan11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
I dont want to sound mean, but you guys are all probably the same guys who, before the season, said that ribs would never cut it in the nhl, and he proved all his doubters wrong this season.... personally i would give this kid a couple of years to prove what he is really made off... he's extremly creative with the puck and that help create a lot of offense, and helps on the PP. It doesnt look like he will ever be a 40+ goal scorer, but he could rack up tons of assisits and score 20+ a season.

I doubt we have seen him peek yet, but imo, the peak isnt that much higher... a pretty good 2nd line center and PP specialist

habsfan11 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:43 PM
  #12
coaticook
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I just don`t know how you can balme the guy, these were his first playoffs in the nhl, and his first complete season in the big leagues. Some of tou guys were ready to kill koivu for what he did to ribs at the beginning of the season, and now you want to eliminate ribeiro, even if in his first complete nhl season he scored 65 points, enough for top ten in nhl centers. how long have we been waiting for a french canadian spectacular player? now we have him, and tou are ready to give him away? If Ribs wasnt in montreal, we would not have done the playoffs, plain and simple.

coaticook is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 12:56 PM
  #13
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaticook
I just don`t know how you can balme the guy, these were his first playoffs in the nhl, and his first complete season in the big leagues. Some of tou guys were ready to kill koivu for what he did to ribs at the beginning of the season, and now you want to eliminate ribeiro, even if in his first complete nhl season he scored 65 points, enough for top ten in nhl centers. how long have we been waiting for a french canadian spectacular player? now we have him, and tou are ready to give him away? If Ribs wasnt in montreal, we would not have done the playoffs, plain and simple.
I disagree. Perreault would have been just as good if he'd played a full season at 2nd line C. More goals, fewer assists, and a better FO%, but just as effective. I'm not saying he should have been there, because it was clearly time to see what Ribiero could do for this team, thus relegating Yannic to the fourth line, but he could have played on line 2 with little overall imapct to the team, IMO. Ryder was the make-or-break guy this season. Without him we would have missed the POs, no doubt.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:02 PM
  #14
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaticook
I just don`t know how you can balme the guy, these were his first playoffs in the nhl, and his first complete season in the big leagues. Some of tou guys were ready to kill koivu for what he did to ribs at the beginning of the season, and now you want to eliminate ribeiro, even if in his first complete nhl season he scored 65 points, enough for top ten in nhl centers. how long have we been waiting for a french canadian spectacular player? now we have him, and tou are ready to give him away? If Ribs wasnt in montreal, we would not have done the playoffs, plain and simple.

Actually, there is basically two schools of thought. Many here applauded what Koivu did to Ribeiro. There is a love/hate relationship, one where probably half the fan base can't stand the guy or are leary about his play, and another half that absolutely love him, or take it personally when anyone has anything remotely negative to say about him. And not to be mean, the whole "French Canadian superstar" bit is a reason people dislike Ribeiro.

Nobody really has blamed Ribeiro for the playoffs, more fault has fell on Theodore and Souray's back. What people didn't like about Ribeiro was his complete lack of effort and unwillingness to pay the price.

As for Montreal not being in the playoffs without him, well who the hell knows. Maybe if Perreault or Plekanec was second line centre, they put up 40-50 points, and Koivu gets more icetime and puts up 70. Again who knows, its all speculation. To say Ribeiro is the reason Montreal was in the playoffs is yet another reason many people really dislike the guy. It might not be fair to Ribeiro because this is fan doing but nevertheless it falls on him.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:03 PM
  #15
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
That all depend on how much leg stregth and muscle he adds to his already week frame. Ribs has a ton of talent, and no body can argue that. However he truely lacks speed and weight. If the kid can add atleast another ten pound, and improve his skating speed and acceleration by another 10-20% or close enough to Saks speed he could become an illite second line C. However if he doesnt do these things, he imo will be an avg second line C, who pots 20 goals, 60 points a season.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
  #16
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,312
vCash: 500
It's still painfully clear that Ribs must get stronger upper and lower body. In the playoffs he was easily contained, and for a playoff team we can't have that. Our 2nd line killed us in the playoffs, as they created nothing. Ribeiro has such great vision and hands, but he's got to get stronger and getting faster wouldn't hurt either. I still have hope for him but if there's a season next year and we want to make the playoffs Gainey will need to keep a close eye on our Ribs.

montreal is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:09 PM
  #17
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
That all depend on how much leg stregth and muscle he adds to his already week frame. Ribs has a ton of talent, and no body can argue that. However he truely lacks speed and weight. If the kid can add atleast another ten pound, and improve his skating speed and acceleration by another 10-20% or close enough to Saks speed he could become an illite second line C. However if he doesnt do these things, he imo will be an avg second line C, who pots 20 goals, 60 points a season.

Unfortunately, people have been saying this for 4-5 years now. There comes a point where you must wonder if he just doesn't have it in him.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:10 PM
  #18
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It's still painfully clear that Ribs must get stronger upper and lower body. In the playoffs he was easily contained, and for a playoff team we can't have that. Our 2nd line killed us in the playoffs, as they created nothing. Ribeiro has such great vision and hands, but he's got to get stronger and getting faster wouldn't hurt either. I still have hope for him but if there's a season next year and we want to make the playoffs Gainey will need to keep a close eye on our Ribs.
Imo if Ribs doesnt add any weight or strength this summer, trade him, because i agree that if he doesnt bulk up, hes gona get us nowhere as our second line C. Id be all up for giving Pleks a chance if Ribs doesnt improve, because like you say hes almost the same player with better strength, size (weight) and defensive awarness. I wonder if Bob Gainey has talked to Ribs about this.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
  #19
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Unfortunately, people have been saying this for 4-5 years now. There comes a point where you must wonder if he just doesn't have it in him.
Hasent he been getting better though year by year????/

Thats the impression i was under. People always said that he works hard in the gym, and every summer improves physically.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:26 PM
  #20
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Ribeiro was great this past SEASON.

I am one of the few people who always loved Ribeiro and always knew he would do well has a 2nd line centre even before this year. I was yelling at Therrien for playing Gilmour and so on...but now I am prediciting this for him next season considering they replace Dagenais ..maybe Hossa or Zednik on his wing.

Ribeiro 20G-48A - 68 Pts and if Saku is healthy...with Kovalev...
Koivu 20G-60A-80Pts

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:26 PM
  #21
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Hasent he been getting better though year by year????/

Thats the impression i was under. People always said that he works hard in the gym, and every summer improves physically.

I think he has gotten a bit stronger and faster, but at 23-24, under a strength and conditioning regiment in the NHL for 4 years, I personally wonder if its possible for him to add much more. This is a guy who has some of the best trainers in the world at his disposal, but seems unable to make that much progress. I remember a few years ago him saying he could eat and eat, yet not add weight. And unfortunately the speed aspect is not something easily improved upon if at all. If it was, we wouldn't see so many terrible skaters. Then factor in, if he adds muscle weight, how does that affect his speed.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if he is able to further himself in this regard because it is paramount he does if he wants to be anything more than a 2nd line centre on an average team.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:29 PM
  #22
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I think he has gotten a bit stronger and faster, but at 23-24, under a strength and conditioning regiment in the NHL for 4 years, I personally wonder if its possible for him to add much more. This is a guy who has some of the best trainers in the world at his disposal, but seems unable to make that much progress. I remember a few years ago him saying he could eat and eat, yet not add weight. And unfortunately the speed aspect is not something easily improved upon if at all. If it was, we wouldn't see so many terrible skaters. Then factor in, if he adds muscle weight, how does that affect his speed.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if he is able to further himself in this regard because it is paramount he does if he wants to be anything more than a 2nd line centre on an average team.
You make a good point, in which i agree with. Gaineys gona have atlest one eye glued to Ribs imo next season and this summer.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:31 PM
  #23
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev
Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

More success..

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
  #24
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Ribeiro was great this past SEASON.

I am one of the few people who always loved Ribeiro and always knew he would do well has a 2nd line centre even before this year. I was yelling at Therrien for playing Gilmour and so on...but now I am prediciting this for him next season considering they replace Dagenais ..maybe Hossa or Zednik on his wing.

Ribeiro 20G-48A - 68 Pts and if Saku is healthy...with Kovalev...
Koivu 20G-60A-80Pts
I dont know if putting a better player would help all that much. Ribs seems to disapeer when the tough get going and things become physical. Ribs is the type of player that needs room to be creative, and having said that, when things do get tight he cant execute because of his lack of speed and strength too fight through checks. Hey may be fine in the regular season, but in the playoffs is where he concerns me with his current physical make-up. Saks for example has both speed and strength too produce in the playoffs, because he can fight through tight checks and areas and use his speed to create room and make a play. Time will tell for Ribs, maybe he will learn too adapt to playoff style hockey with experience if he remains the same in terms of speed and strength.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 01:36 PM
  #25
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
You guys blame everything on Ribeiro..hey how many goals did Ryder score?1 ..how many goals did Dagenais score? O ... Ribeiro had 2 goals..and it's not even his job to do that. That said, if Ryder would of finished half his chances..I guarantee you that Ribeiro would of had at least 10 pts.

Traitor8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.