HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the Oilers be the Colorado Avalanche of this year?

Old
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
McCam

vCash: 500
Could the Oilers be the Colorado Avalanche of this year?

I remember last year around this time, when we were all picking our projected NHL standings, that nobody really had any faith in the Colorado Avalanche. I think most people had them pegged in a 4th/5th place finish in the west and certainly not as a team earning a playoff spot.

They surprised many. Much of it was due to Anderson's heroics in net but some surprises from their young guns and solid coaching also played a part.

Fast forward to this year...

Reading around, I see lots of people still having the Oilers pegged to finish at the bottom of the west (or at least right near it). However, I have also heard some people who have said we could be the Colorado of this upcoming season and that our infusion of talented youth could lead to the quick turnaround the Avalance experienced.

I don't necessarily believe/buy this but I just wanted to get a dialogue going regarding what all of your thoughts were on the potential fro this. Granted, we do not have a Craig Anderson in net. We DO however have a plethora of young talent in our forward squad. Production from youth/rookies is hard to predict as they're often so inconsistant but I don't think it's a stretch to say we're better positioned to put the puck in the net on a more consistant basis now.

I guess the question I'm posing is where do you see us winding up? Could the Oilers be the Avalanche of this year? Are they fated for another lottery pick? Or will they wind up somewhere in between?

A secondary question is not where do you THINK they'll wind up but where do you WANT them to wind up? Do you want to see some immediate strides and fight for a playoff spot? Or are you maybe hoping to have another lottery pick season and get another excellent prospect?

McCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
rays

I think NHL standings are extremely difficult to predict. Most years there are a few teams that do the unexpected. Usually, the majority of the consistently good teams (Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, etc) do as expected, and the not-so-good teams do not-so-good. So common sense would tell us that the Oilers will not fair that much better than last year.

If the Oilers can stay relatively injury-free, the young guns can be coached well and gel together (and/or with the veterans), and we get good goaltending from whoever, then we have a chance to be somewhere in the 8-10 range. Anything better than that may be impossible to predict; it would simply be a guess.

I could easily say that the Oilers will end up 4th or something, but it's mostly wishful thinking. In reality, they probably won't. Ideally, I want them to be in the playoffs (8th is sufficient) or else at the bottom of the league (lottery pick). If they're not gonna be a lottery pick, they should make the playoffs, because once you're in the post season, anything can happen!

And I really miss Oilers post-season hockey.

rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
the tikk

You nailed it - without a netminder playing out of his gourd, the Avs wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs. As Anderson tired in the second half, they nearly fell out of contention. The oil would need a similar performance from one of their 4 (!) to come close.

Also, I would argue that the Avs' young guns have better defensive pedigree than our prospects. Though extremely offensively talented, our up and comers lack the kind of responsible, 2-way game that Duchene and O'Reilly bring.

I'd be happy with a year of exciting hockey where our prospects split time between the AHL and the big club, learn to play some big-league defense and leave us right around that final lottery-pick position.

the tikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I totally dis not read the post and am simply answering the question posed in the thread title.

No, the Oilers can not be the Colorado Avalanche in my opinion. Why, because they do not have the goaltending. Unless JD or DD steps up their game and becomes a legit NHL goaltender I can't see it happening. In all honesty I am hoping for an exciting season that yields a lottery pick. Either that ot somehow Florida trades us Gudbrandson.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Nope, they'll be more like the Islanders who improved a good deal but still picked 5th.
Similar to the Islanders, they are forward heavy and less than average on defense and decent in goal (all depending on Khabibulin) so i see a similar improvement with the Oilers. The Avs would have been picking around top 5-10 if it wasn't for Anderson standing on his head just about every night and the Oilers don't have an Anderson unless DD takes a giant leap or if Khabiboozin returns to his form of 2 years ago.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Nope, they'll be more like the Islanders who improved a good deal but still picked 5th.
Similar to the Islanders, they are forward heavy and less than average on defense and decent in goal (all depending on Khabibulin) so i see a similar improvement with the Oilers. The Avs would have been picking around top 5-10 if it wasn't for Anderson standing on his head just about every night and the Oilers don't have an Anderson unless DD takes a giant leap or if Khabiboozin returns to his form of 2 years ago.
The Isles also played in the weaker conference last year and weren't as good up front as we should be. However they played well as a team and worked hard as a team. I'm hoping that we are worse than a 25th overall team. Our lottery position could come down to our season series with the Wild. I expect them to challenge for league basement along with us, Florida, and maybe TO again. As for a Colorado like season, I agree that it will be all up to goaltending and injuries if it were to happen. The offensive firepower potentially is there, the defense, bottom 6 forwards, center depth, and the goaltending are all huge question marks IMO.

08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Giant Moo

No, but I think we have a shot at being the Mennesota Wilde.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Orochimaru
5-14-6-1

If Martin Gerber wins a spot in goal at TC, then yes.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Alawishis

Then who would Colorado be?

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
If we are I would call it an epic fail. The last thing we want to do is leave the lottery station without at least one stud defensmen, if not two.

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
If we are I would call it an epic fail. The last thing we want to do is leave the lottery station without at least one stud defensmen, if not two.
lol what?

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
lol what?
Some people seem to think that the only way to rebuild is to tank for about 3-4 years straight and that making the playoffs with a young team would be a disaster

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Nope. Don't have any NHL calibre goalies besides Khabby

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Some people seem to think that the only way to rebuild is to tank for about 3-4 years straight and that making the playoffs with a young team would be a disaster
We're not making the playoffs this season. Not a damn chance.

If you disagree, make me a bet.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
I agree, anything below 5th overall would be an epic fail, ideally we get 1 of Couturier or Larsson.

Quote:
I for one think that getting Larsson or Couturier next year + early picks in each additional round would go a long ways towards the rebuild. If we could add another mid 1st round pick that would be ideal as well. I for one don't think that we'll need 3-4 years unless most of our 2nd tier prospects prove to suck (Plante, Petry, Lander, Pitlick, etc.) we need some help from outside of the 1st round if this team is ever going to be a contender again. BTW-

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipProspect View Post
Nope. Don't have any NHL calibre goalies besides Khabby
If you narrow it down further to NHL-calibre goalies who are not detained and can legally play, then we're done to nobody.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

Martin Gerber= New Anderson?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Some people seem to over rate the defensive prospects that we have or think that we will be fine if we hit the UFA market and pick up a stud like Campbell and sign him to a beauty of a contract like Chicago did.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

It's either going to be you guys or the Carolina Hurricanes.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
tv14

I think this would be an ideal outcome. However, I dont think it will happen.

I see the Oil drafting in the 4-7 range.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Martin Gerber= New Anderson?
Let's hope not, a first round exit will stunt our chances at future success because we'll leave a potentially elite player on the table. Unless we land a Getzlaf or Kopitar clone at #15 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
If you narrow it down further to NHL-calibre goalies who are not detained and can legally play, then we're done to nobody.
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Some people seem to over rate the defensive prospects that we have or think that we will be fine if we hit the UFA market and pick up a stud like Campbell and sign him to a beauty of a contract like Chicago did.
IMO Petry has a chance to be a very good d-man arguably better than anything that we currently have, but we could really use a Larsson (who couldn't? ). The key is filling key roles by the draft and not via free agency or else you risk getting caught with the Campbell's, Redden's, etc. of the world.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It's either going to be you guys or the Carolina Hurricanes.
I wouldn't really put Carolina in this category as they looked like a completely different team in their last 30 games then they did in thier first 30.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I didnt though because we do have one calibre NHL goalie

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO Petry has a chance to be a very good d-man arguably better than anything that we currently have, but we could really use a Larsson (who couldn't? ). The key is filling key roles by the draft and not via free agency or else you risk getting caught with the Campbell's, Redden's, etc. of the world.
WOOOSH!!

Thanks for filling in the blanks BBO.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Let's hope not, a first round exit will stunt our chances at future success because we'll leave a potentially elite player on the table. Unless we land a Getzlaf or Kopitar clone at #15 or so.
A playoff preformance would be huge for this team. People are really seemign to not realize just how imprtant it would be for our young players. Players like Brule, Gagner, Cogliano, Gilbert, Smid etc have never been in playoffs nevermind the obvious ones (MPS, Eberle, Hall etc). A playoff appearence would go a long way in the development of the players.

And posters wonder why Gagner and Cogliano havent taken their play to the next level.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote