HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Philly signs Niemi?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
FlyerEra2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If we can sign him for the same price as Leighton and let the two battle it out how can anyone not like that scenario?

Is it because Boosh is so great?

Is it because you feel Leighton deserves to have the starting job handed to him without a true competition?

Is it because you are an idiot?
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could not like that, but it still seems entirely unlikely to me. SanFilippo said he's being offered deals over his arbitration reward already. Even if that's not true, I don't think Homer will pursue him. He would have just signed Turco for slightly more than the Blackhawks did if he wanted another goalie.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could not like that, but it still seems entirely unlikely to me. SanFilippo said he's being offered deals over his arbitration reward already. Even if that's not true, I don't think Homer will pursue him. He would have just signed Turco for slightly more than the Blackhawks did if he wanted another goalie.
I'm sure someone will pay Niemi more than $3M for a 3-4 year deal, just not the Flyers.

And it's pretty clear now that Turco wanted to be a Hawk all along, he was just leaving the door open in case the arbitrator ruled in the Hawks' favour (i.e. $2M max) - he didn't.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
2minutes4slashing

Gimme a break, did anyone outside of Chicago even know who Antti Niemi was before mid June???

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Gimme a break, did anyone outside of Chicago even know who Antti Niemi was before mid June???
Well, if you count people who actually follow hockey across the league and watch more than just their home team, yes.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm sure someone will pay Niemi more than $3M for a 3-4 year deal, just not the Flyers.

And it's pretty clear now that Turco wanted to be a Hawk all along, he was just leaving the door open in case the arbitrator ruled in the Hawks' favour (i.e. $2M max) - he didn't.
I'm sure that Turco would have been willing to play for a contender in the East for about .7 mil more then the Hawks gave him.

If not, then Turco is ********.

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much anyone who follows or is knowledgeable about hockey knew who he was.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Osgood isn't 26 years old
True enough, but my main point was contending the notion that SC winner automatically equals good goaltender.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Doubt it... I'll be shocked if Niemi earns his arbitration award next year.

Quote:
Ah... Marty Turco wanted a starting role. Hawks were an obvious choice after the goalie pieces fell the way they did.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

I wrote this in the Turco thread, but I'll write it here too:

I actually wrote to Panaccio a few days ago asking him why the Turco situation was going the way it was (right after the whole text message from Scotland affair). This is what he wrote back:

Quote:
no idea. turco didnt explain. i think he wanted too much. he signed for less than what HE said flyers offered. flyers told me he wanted $2 mill but they didnt offer it
I donno...seems like Turco wasn't really on our radar

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Many people who follow hockey closely (HOCKEY, not just the NHL) knew who Niemi was when he was on the Pelicans, and I'd say most people knew who he was when he got to the NHL.

As for those of you saying "Chicago walked away, so he's not all that," all I have to say is Chicago would have had to pay him 2.75/yr. No way was Niemi worth that. If we could sign Niemi for 1.5-1.7 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote