HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Montreal Typical

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
You actually payed attention to the workout?
There's a workout?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Chances are, you're probably not eating right. I've noticed that the majority of the time, people aren't getting the results they want because their nutrition isn't what they think it is.

Post a sample of your diet/workout routine, might give a better idea why you're not getting any results.
I am man, my diet is immaculate. I'm living off egg white omelets, fat free yogurt, all bran cereal and oatmeal for breakfast, tuna/turkey/chicken sandwiches (with tomato lettuce low-cal miracle whip salt&pepper), fresh veggies for lunch and supper is usually 1/3 lean protein 1/3 starch and 1/3 veggies or salad. I only drink water or 1% milk, and beer one night a week.

My workout is always first thing in the morning, 'cause I've read that you burn more fat before you eat anything.

I work the upper body 3 days a week, and lower body 3 days a week. 1 day rest. I work all muscle groups.. biceps triceps shoulders back traps chest on upper body days, mostly 4x10 reps and glutes calves quads hamstrings and abs on lower body days.

I do HIIT sprints everyday, for 8 minutes.

To be fair, my clothes is fitting a tiny bit more loosely, but the scale isn't budging.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
I am man, my diet is immaculate. I'm living off egg white omelets, fat free yogurt, all bran cereal and oatmeal for breakfast, tuna/turkey/chicken sandwiches (with tomato lettuce low-cal miracle whip salt&pepper), fresh veggies for lunch and supper is usually 1/3 lean protein 1/3 starch and 1/3 veggies or salad. I only drink water or 1% milk, and beer one night a week.

My workout is always first thing in the morning, 'cause I've read that you burn more fat before you eat anything.

I work the upper body 3 days a week, and lower body 3 days a week. 1 day rest. I work all muscle groups.. biceps triceps shoulders back traps chest on upper body days, mostly 4x10 reps and glutes calves quads hamstrings and abs on lower body days.

I do HIIT sprints everyday, for 8 minutes.

To be fair, my clothes is fitting a tiny bit more loosely, but the scale isn't budging.

Whatever the problem is, well it's irrelevant actually. You haven't been keeping those habits close to long enough to evaluate anything at all. So yeah, for all those who will ask "I've been doing this for 3 weeks and...." the answer is, do it for 3 more weeks, then 3 more months, then come back and ask the same question. Your workout schedule sounds ridiculous and unsustainable btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I was going to the gym for a 45 mins cardio session, just as I get in the lockeroom and take off my shoes the fire alarm goes on...!!

Second time today the fire alarm goes on while I'm about to do something (eating lunch this morning at work).

Today hates me
I also hate you.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Whatever the problem is, well it's irrelevant actually. You haven't been keeping those habits close to long enough to evaluate anything at all. So yeah, for all those who will ask "I've been doing this for 3 weeks and...." the answer is, do it for 3 more weeks, then 3 more months, then come back and ask the same question. Your workout schedule sounds ridiculous and unsustainable btw.
Why do you think it's unsustainable?

I'm on seasonal unemployment at the moment. I start up work again August 30th, that's why I have all this time on my hands. I was hoping to lose a solid 20 lbs in this month and a half period, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
if anything, i think his diet is unsustainable.

@sardo

big respect for keeping that diet up, but if it's not something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, it's usually not worth doing, since you'll just yo-yo back to what you used to do. Better to make more progressive, subtle changes that you can keep up for life. But that's just my opinion. And if it makes you feel any better, i was 268 before the weekend and went back up to 271 yesterday, weight is a funny thing.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Why do you think it's unsustainable?

I'm on seasonal unemployment at the moment. I start up work again August 30th, that's why I have all this time on my hands. I was hoping to lose a solid 20 lbs in this month and a half period, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
It's unsustainable because 99% of people can't keep this up long term. Will you be able to sustain this level of activity after August 30th? That will answer your question.

As far as your goals go, they're unrealistic to start with and the methods you're using are incompatible with your goals. A ketosis diet with 2 times weight training a week would probably have been better, and you would've had more free time too.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
I do Zuzana's stuff all the time now. It's is usually pretty beast.

Came down with a pretty bad head cold yesterday though so I've been doing **** all today Guess it's a rest day.
Just a question, how low do you go when you're on a low carb diet? What do you do to replenish muscle glycogen?

Old
08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
It's unsustainable because 99% of people can't keep this up long term. Will you be able to sustain this level of activity after August 30th? That will answer your question.

As far as your goals go, they're unrealistic to start with and the methods you're using are incompatible with your goals. A ketosis diet with 2 times weight training a week would probably have been better, and you would've had more free time too.
Okay I had to google the ketosis diet. So basically a no carb diet

Why should I workout twice instead of 6 times a week if I have the time? I'll obviously have to cut back on training once I start working again, but shouldn't I take advantage of it while I can?

I'm not in Panic mode yet because it's only been two weeks since I've been eating like a nazi and training hard. I do have to stop weighing myself everyday though...

I'll try cutting back on carbs for this week though, to see what results I get.

@Overlords, I won't be keeping the diet on forever, but I want to eat right and train hard to reach my goals, then just maintain.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:01 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

@Overlords, I won't be keeping the diet on forever, but I want to eat right and train hard to reach my goals, then just maintain.
Yeah, i understand. I just meant that if you have this free time and less stress at the moment since you're not working, it would be a good time to hammer out a longterm diet, rather than a shortterm one.

I still think you're awesome for eating all that rabbit food as long as you have.

edit: oh damn, i cracked 5k posts.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:

Why should I workout twice instead of 6 times a week if I have the time? I'll obviously have to cut back on training once I start working again, but shouldn't I take advantage of it while I can?

I'm not in Panic mode yet because it's only been two weeks since I've been eating like a nazi and training hard. I do have to stop weighing myself everyday though...

I'm just saying, the more you train, the higher your energy expenditure, the more your body will need food. If you don't give it that food, you'll eventually pay the price. You'll feel lethargic, your test will go down, your abdominal fat will go up, you'll lose muscle and lots of other nasties. This is why if fat loss is your goal and your only goal (i.e. losing an extreme amount like 20lbs), well, use extreme methods that will help you achieve your goal i.e. ketosis or some other really low carb, muscle sparing diet.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
On my side, I usually stick with tuna or chicken. I avoid frying things at pretty much all cost. I use the BBQ or the Oven depending on what I'm cooking. I'm fairly inconsistent this week, as you start to crave the old junk again, but it's a phase. I'll learn to adapt.

My goal, while not the healthiest in the world, why try to maintain this type of diet as long as I can:

Breakfast:
1 serving of Vector Cereal in the morning(1% milk)

Lunch:
1 Cucumber
2 Carrots
Can of Tuna
2 Fruits(Apples/Pears most likely)

Supper...Usually whatever my family has for supper but if I make it myself:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Corn
Baked Sweet Potatoes

Late Snack:
Yogurt

Drinks are mostly water, milk, occasional juice, and perhaps a gatorade if I train.

A different alternative would perhaps be:

Breakfast:
2-3 Hard Boiled Eggs
Bagel

Lunch:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Vegies(think cauliflower, broccoli, etc)

Supper:
Brown Rice
Chickpeas
2 Fruits(Oranges/Peaches)

Late Snack:
Almonds

I usually take chicken breast over any other meat but I don't restrict myself entirely.

Any faults with a diet based on this? Anything I'm missing or have too much of? It's not meant to be perfect, merely a guideline for myself.

By the way, for anyone interested, here's a list of healthy foods, and their nutritional value and benefits. Might give ideas to some to mix it up as well.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:30 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
blabla
ok today was much better than yesterday. I slept for 13 hours straight until my sister called me. Now I just came back from the gym. A total of 12 working sets for the chest with 5 rounds of my circuit

Old
08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:

As others have said, you should really aim to do something that's sustainable long-term.
There's no maintaining by switching back to your old ways. If you just go back to your normal ways after, you'll just regain all the weight and be back where you started.

The best way to get into a habit of doing healthy things is by doing those same things all the time. For working out, if you're flip-flopping with how often you're going you won't get into a good habit. Also six weeks is not only excessive, it could be detrimental as it's very possible your body would not have the time it needs to rest.

For eating habits, I don't see why your diet wouldn't be sustainable as overlord said. I ate like that for a year and a half before I decided to go Primal/Paleo with little to no problem (of course, I also allowed cheats here and there when I went to restaurants, dinner parties, etc.)
But if you want it to work, you have to be in it for the long run, otherwise, it'll just pile back on (and usually will pile on even more) when you go back to your regular eating ways.

And as a last note, don't worry about what the scale says. If you're working out regularly and eating well, your body will transform accordingly. It's cliché, but muscle weighs more than fat, so if your clothes are fitting better, you're on the right path. And as Kareem said, you shouldn't be looking for instant results. They take time. Do it for 3 months and then have a look at yourself. I guarantee you'll see a difference.

Last edited by fufonzo: 08-04-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old
08-04-2010, 09:54 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
On my side, I usually stick with tuna or chicken. I avoid frying things at pretty much all cost. I use the BBQ or the Oven depending on what I'm cooking. I'm fairly inconsistent this week, as you start to crave the old junk again, but it's a phase. I'll learn to adapt.

My goal, while not the healthiest in the world, why try to maintain this type of diet as long as I can:

Breakfast:
1 serving of Vector Cereal in the morning(1% milk)

Lunch:
1 Cucumber
2 Carrots
Can of Tuna
2 Fruits(Apples/Pears most likely)

Supper...Usually whatever my family has for supper but if I make it myself:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Corn
Baked Sweet Potatoes

Late Snack:
Yogurt

Drinks are mostly water, milk, occasional juice, and perhaps a gatorade if I train.

A different alternative would perhaps be:

Breakfast:
2-3 Hard Boiled Eggs
Bagel

Lunch:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Vegies(think cauliflower, broccoli, etc)

Supper:
Brown Rice
Chickpeas
2 Fruits(Oranges/Peaches)

Late Snack:
Almonds

I usually take chicken breast over any other meat but I don't restrict myself entirely.

Any faults with a diet based on this? Anything I'm missing or have too much of? It's not meant to be perfect, merely a guideline for myself.

By the way, for anyone interested, here's a list of healthy foods, and their nutritional value and benefits. Might give ideas to some to mix it up as well.
That's looking pretty good. If you keep that (or a similar) diet for the long-term, the pounds should start dropping pretty quickly.

The only thing I would suggest is maybe swapping that bagel for a thin slice or two of bread/toast and maybe throw in some berries with your cereal.
Also, tuna is good for you, but you seem to be eating a lot of it, and if you're happy with that, keep it up, but switching things up may make keeping this up easier.

Last edited by fufonzo: 08-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old
08-04-2010, 09:58 AM
fufonzo

I've had a pretty brutal w/e diet-wise.

I went on a whitewater canoe trip so I got a lot of exercise, but my friend was the one taking care of the food so, I ate pretty junky foods (I got the munchies pretty bad too, which didn't help, haha).

So ya, I've been scared to weigh myself this week, haha.

I'll be hopping on the scale on Friday though so I should know if I've lost any more weight.

Food consumption today:

B - Two eggs, 2 slices of bacon.
L - Bowl of homemade leftover pizza toppings, bowl of greek yogurt and raspberries, apple.
D - Chicken and veggy stir fry

Last edited by fufonzo: 08-04-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
twosaints

Quote:
Just a question, how low do you go when you're on a low carb diet? What do you do to replenish muscle glycogen?
Depends on what you consider low carb. I avoid wheat altogether (although special occasions will crop up, like my cousins bridal shower on Sunday where I gave in and had some beautifully soul-crushing italian cake). Other than that, my carb intake can be anywhere from 40g in a day to ~100 or even higher the next, due to days when I don't reign myself in on fruit, or have some potatoes or something starchy with dinner. On those days I try and make sure I've had a good workout - if I'm on a rest day, I'll try to stick to eating mainly fat and protein as much as possible. The carbs, in the form of dairy and fruit or whatever will usually come in the morning after a good calisthenics-based workout (along with some protein). But these workouts are typically intense and under 25 minutes, so it's not like I need massive amounts of carbs.

But principally, anywhere from 50g to 150g, with maybe one or two days in a month allocated to going a bit over that if there's a big social gathering or something. I don't personally seek out to "cheat", per say, but I don't beat myself up over it either.

Also, for dudes who are freaking out over the scale - and I've done this in the past too - if you're working out while simultaneously eating better, keep in mind that having the scale not budge doesn't mean you've stalled or messed up - it might be that your body composition is moving away from fat and building muscle. So don't rely just on the scale - look in the mirror, keep track of how your workouts are improving, etc.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
ClasslessGuy

I do jogging for like 50-70 minutes and it does nothing... Someone have an example of someting i could do ?

Old
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
I do jogging for like 50-70 minutes and it does nothing... Someone have an example of someting i could do ?
Depends what you eat and also consider you need patience.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:39 AM
twosaints

Quote:
Do something more intense than jogging for a smaller amount of time.

Sprint/walk alternating, for example.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
What do you mean it does nothing? What are you expecting? What else are you doing? How long have you been doing this?

As LL said, your nutrition is #1. You can run around all you want, but if you always eat like crap, it won't do you much good.

And as twosaints said, do shorter and more intense exercises. Lift weights or do body weight exercises if you're just starting and/or don't have the money for a gym membership.

Last edited by fufonzo: 08-04-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
Depends on what you consider low carb. I avoid wheat altogether (although special occasions will crop up, like my cousins bridal shower on Sunday where I gave in and had some beautifully soul-crushing italian cake). Other than that, my carb intake can be anywhere from 40g in a day to ~100 or even higher the next, due to days when I don't reign myself in on fruit, or have some potatoes or something starchy with dinner. On those days I try and make sure I've had a good workout - if I'm on a rest day, I'll try to stick to eating mainly fat and protein as much as possible. The carbs, in the form of dairy and fruit or whatever will usually come in the morning after a good calisthenics-based workout (along with some protein). But these workouts are typically intense and under 25 minutes, so it's not like I need massive amounts of carbs.

But principally, anywhere from 50g to 150g, with maybe one or two days in a month allocated to going a bit over that if there's a big social gathering or something. I don't personally seek out to "cheat", per say, but I don't beat myself up over it either.

Also, for dudes who are freaking out over the scale - and I've done this in the past too - if you're working out while simultaneously eating better, keep in mind that having the scale not budge doesn't mean you've stalled or messed up - it might be that your body composition is moving away from fat and building muscle. So don't rely just on the scale - look in the mirror, keep track of how your workouts are improving, etc.
Hmm, what I consider low carb. 50gs to 150gs like you're eating I would consider low. I'll eventually have to plan for a quick diet to get back to 10% and under, so I'm looking at how I'm going to do that.

Right now, I basically eat veggies, fat and protein all day.

In the mornings however, I'll have something like 750mls of milk, a toast, a potatoe, 2 bowls of steel cut oats in milk and 250g of cottage cheese. Post workout, I'll have usually go overboard with carbs+protein. I also take in about 60gs of dextrose and 40gs of protein during my workout. Basically, I take in a lot at breakfast and around my workout.

I also have days for "caloric surpluses" where I just eat like a whole chicken for lunch or something. I'm not into cheat meals, but when I do the amounts are stupid.

What I'm thinking is pairing up low carb days with high rep training which produces lots of lactate. The thing is, I'm wondering if I should take carbs at breakfast and during the workout.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Lift weights.

But seriously, how about more information?

Old
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
As others have said, you should really aim to do something that's sustainable long-term.
There's no maintaining by switching back to your old ways. If you just go back to your normal ways after, you'll just regain all the weight and be back where you started.

The best way to get into a habit of doing healthy things is by doing those same things all the time. For working out, if you're flip-flopping with how often you're going you won't get into a good habit. Also six weeks is not only excessive, it could be detrimental as it's very possible your body would not have the time it needs to rest.

For eating habits, I don't see why your diet wouldn't be sustainable as overlord said. I ate like that for a year and a half before I decided to go Primal/Paleo with little to no problem (of course, I also allowed cheats here and there when I went to restaurants, dinner parties, etc.)
But if you want it to work, you have to be in it for the long run, otherwise, it'll just pile back on (and usually will pile on even more) when you go back to your regular eating ways.

And as a last note, don't worry about what the scale says. If you're working out regularly and eating well, your body will transform accordingly. It's cliché, but muscle weighs more than fat, so if your clothes are fitting better, you're on the right path. And as Kareem said, you shouldn't be looking for instant results. They take time. Do it for 3 months and then have a look at yourself. I guarantee you'll see a difference.
I never ate terribly in my "old ways". I made the switch from white to whole grain bread, butter to light margarine, fruit juices to water/milk etc over a year ago. I can keep this diet up without too much effort. I really only ate junk when I go out to restaurants with friends, we don't really buy a lot of junk in our house, and I am 100% against paying money for a salad, so that won't change.

I'll go 6 times a week until I start work, then probably go down to 2 MAYBE 3 longer full body workouts. Again I think I can keep up with that.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
ClasslessGuy

I'm a bicycle guy. Normaly I do 30 to 50 km 5-6 time per week.

There is nothing i hate more than gym.

I tried to mixt thing up with the thing i like (running and biking)

So that's my normal week:

M: 60 min jogging
T: 30 km bicycling (around 30km/h)
W: 60 min jogging
T: nothing
F: 30 km bike
S: 45 km bike
S: 60 min jogging

I also do a couple of abs exercise almost after each activities.

I'm eating like a normal person i would say. No restaurant. No chips or candy. Maybe too much bread and pasta. And a lot of veggies and fruits.

I just don't know how to mixt things more than that... I hate gym and weights. I'm a big nature fan! so no inside training !

Should I do like a minute of jogging a minute of sprint etc? for how long?

Old
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I still think you're awesome for eating all that rabbit food as long as you have.
Thanks man You should see the amount of baby carrots I go through in a day.

Quote:
I'm just saying, the more you train, the higher your energy expenditure, the more your body will need food. If you don't give it that food, you'll eventually pay the price. You'll feel lethargic, your test will go down, your abdominal fat will go up, you'll lose muscle and lots of other nasties. This is why if fat loss is your goal and your only goal (i.e. losing an extreme amount like 20lbs), well, use extreme methods that will help you achieve your goal i.e. ketosis or some other really low carb, muscle sparing diet.
My goal is not only fat loss, I read up on the ketosis diet and I don't think it's for me. I rather eat a lot and train a lot, and the fat will eventually come off once I build more muscle and keep a clean diet.

Closed Thread