HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
I'm a bicycle guy. Normaly I do 30 to 50 km 5-6 time per week.

There is nothing i hate more than gym.

I tried to mixt thing up with the thing i like (running and biking)

So that's my normal week:

M: 60 min jogging
T: 30 km bicycling (around 30km/h)
W: 60 min jogging
T: nothing
F: 30 km bike
S: 45 km bike
S: 60 min jogging

I also do a couple of abs exercise almost after each activities.

I'm eating like a normal person i would say. No restaurant. No chips or candy. Maybe too much bread and pasta. And a lot of veggies and fruits.

I just don't know how to mixt things more than that... I hate gym and weights. I'm a big nature fan! so no inside training !

Should I do like a minute of jogging a minute of sprint etc? for how long?
You should try measuring your calories. I can eat very healthy foods, but if I have too much, it's not a good thing. Measure how much you eat for a random day or 2 and you'll see your caloric intake. Also, careful what you drink. A lot of people don't bother looking but there's a lot of drinks that have tons of sugars. Avoid them if you can.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
My goal is not only fat loss, I read up on the ketosis diet and I don't think it's for me. I rather eat a lot and train a lot, and the fat will eventually come off once I build more muscle and keep a clean diet.
Losing 20lbs in a month and a half sounds like fat loss is (or should be) your only goal. That's what I mean. Eating a lot, training a lot and keeping a clean diet sounds way better to me. But the your gains (losses) will take longer. You'll be better in the long run though.

Quote:
I just don't know how to mixt things more than that... I hate gym and weights. I'm a big nature fan! so no inside training !

Should I do like a minute of jogging a minute of sprint etc? for how long?
You're not providing information. How long have been training for. What are your goals. How lean are you right now, how much muscle mass do you have (and none of that I'm a mesomorph with huge legs and no fat bull **** if you're actually a fatass who only weighs 180-200lbs and who can't squat 300lbs).

If you want to lean out, you're either going to have to exercise more or eat less while keeping protein up (I mean between 150g and 200g). Also, I would add things like jumps, sprints, pull ups, dips, tree climbing, rope climbing, parkour, free running, sprinting in sand, pushing cars, pulling cars, pushing heavy ****, pulling heavy ****, turning over 200lbs tractor wheels, etc. just to mix it up. Basically, do your steady state cardio, add in calisthenics, strongman stuff, sprinting, etc. These are all things you can do outside. Just mix it up.

EDIT: nm, I just saw the participants list. You have a lot of fat to lose before leaning out. Fix your diet (eating whole foods, getting enough fat and protein, avoiding high fat+ high carb meals) and do some resistance training of some sort (like strongman stuff outside) to keep some muscle mass since you don't have a lot. Don't underestimate the importance of keeping that muscle mass because the more you have, the more calories you'll burn. HIIT is not a bad idea.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 08-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old
08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

Hey All,

I was kinda following this thread as I have been working out 6 days a week this summer and getting some good results.

I just wanted to point out that corn is very high in carbs and should almost be treated like a starch. So staking potatoes and corn in the same meal is very carb heavy. Although sweet potatoes are much lower in carbs.

Cheers,

Balk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
On my side, I usually stick with tuna or chicken. I avoid frying things at pretty much all cost. I use the BBQ or the Oven depending on what I'm cooking. I'm fairly inconsistent this week, as you start to crave the old junk again, but it's a phase. I'll learn to adapt.

My goal, while not the healthiest in the world, why try to maintain this type of diet as long as I can:

Breakfast:
1 serving of Vector Cereal in the morning(1% milk)

Lunch:
1 Cucumber
2 Carrots
Can of Tuna
2 Fruits(Apples/Pears most likely)

Supper...Usually whatever my family has for supper but if I make it myself:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Corn
Baked Sweet Potatoes

Late Snack:
Yogurt

Drinks are mostly water, milk, occasional juice, and perhaps a gatorade if I train.

A different alternative would perhaps be:

Breakfast:
2-3 Hard Boiled Eggs
Bagel

Lunch:
Steak/Chicken Breast
Vegies(think cauliflower, broccoli, etc)

Supper:
Brown Rice
Chickpeas
2 Fruits(Oranges/Peaches)

Late Snack:
Almonds

I usually take chicken breast over any other meat but I don't restrict myself entirely.

Any faults with a diet based on this? Anything I'm missing or have too much of? It's not meant to be perfect, merely a guideline for myself.

By the way, for anyone interested, here's a list of healthy foods, and their nutritional value and benefits. Might give ideas to some to mix it up as well.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Hey All,

I was kinda following this thread as I have been working out 6 days a week this summer and getting some good results.

I just wanted to point out that corn is very high in carbs and should almost be treated like a starch. So staking potatoes and corn in the same meal is very carb heavy. Although sweet potatoes are much lower in carbs.

Cheers,

Balk
Thanks buddy. I'll look for an alternative then.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
speed11

i've probably had the worst 4-5 day stretch (diet wise) in the last 4+ years...pretty much nothing but alcohol and going out to eat.
it was my cousins wedding last sunday, so from thursday to monday, i did nothing but drink, eat out and not to mention didn't goto the gym. i got back on track yesterday, but my body must be thinking...'what the hell was that?'

Old
08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Next week I'm off the gym..

****ing Wisdom teeth.

Old
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I made a rough draft of what my ideal workout routine would look like :

Monday
- Back extension (5 x 10) : lower back
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Dumbbell shrug (3 x 10) : trap
- Machine preacher curls (3 x 10) : biceps
- Leg Press (til I die) : quads
- Palms down dumbbell wrist curls (3 x 10) : forearms
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Wednesday
- Back extension (5 x 10): lower back
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Bench Press close grip (3 x 10) : triceps
- Bench Press medium grip (3 x 10) : chest
- Reverse flyes (3 x 10) : shoulders
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Friday
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Lying leg curls (3 x 10) : harmstrings
- Set ups (2 x 30)

On loose days :
- Push ups
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Add to this 1 day of 45 mins cardio.

Any thoughts?

Old
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
TheRumble

Just wanted to chime in here.

I'm not taking this as seriously as some of the posters in this thread. I don't really watch what I eat but I generally avoid red meat and high sodium content foods. Additionally, I stopped drinking so no more weekly visits to the bar/club/random house party.

Anywho, being the summer I was able to lose a ton of weight this summer maintaining this schedule for June and July. I got to the point where all my clothes became baggy on me. I figure that's good enough.

Monday: BJJ 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM
Tuesday: BJJ 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Wednesday: BJJ 7:30 to 8:30 AM
Thursday: BJJ 5:30 to 8:00 PM
Friday: BJJ 7:30 to 8:30 AM and again from 5:30 to 8:00 PM
Saturday: 1 hour of swimming.

I've had to take the last two weeks off due to nagging injuries but I plan on going back to a three day a week BJJ schedule and making up for the rest with gym visits.

As for food:

Chicken or shrimp with rice or noodles plus veggies of some sort. I'm a pretty boring dude when it comes to cooking. No alcohol, lots of water, occasionally orange juice, rarely milk. No coffee, no pop. Lots of fruit.

Old
08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I made a rough draft of what my ideal workout routine would look like :

Monday
- Back extension (5 x 10) : lower back
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Dumbbell shrug (3 x 10) : trap
- Machine preacher curls (3 x 10) : biceps
- Palms down dumbbell wrist curls (3 x 10) : forearms
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Wednesday
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Reverse flyes (3 x 10) : shoulders
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Friday
- Chin ups (1 x ??)
- Lying leg curls (3 x 10) : harmstrings
- Set ups (2 x 30)

On loose days :
- Push ups
- Set ups (2 x 30)

Add to this 1 day of 45 mins cardio.

Any thoughts?
That's a lot of different exercises, and many of them with machines. IMO, you should also focus on a couple of body parts at a time rather than doing them all every day. (ie. Doing chest and triceps one day, biceps and back another, legs another)

Although, from what I've read and heard, Starting Strength is really the way to go if you're new to weight lifting. Once you've built up your overall strength, then you can move on to targetting specific muscles.

From the sounds of it, you know Kareem quite well and he's willing to help you get started with it. It might take a bit of time before you get your squat form right, but that's probably the best lifting exercise you can do for your body.

PS. I'm really no expert though. You'll probably get better feedback from some of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumble View Post
Just wanted to chime in here.

I'm not taking this as seriously as some of the posters in this thread. I don't really watch what I eat but I generally avoid red meat and high sodium content foods. Additionally, I stopped drinking so no more weekly visits to the bar/club/random house party.

Anywho, being the summer I was able to lose a ton of weight this summer maintaining this schedule for June and July. I got to the point where all my clothes became baggy on me. I figure that's good enough.

Monday: BJJ 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM
Tuesday: BJJ 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Wednesday: BJJ 7:30 to 8:30 AM
Thursday: BJJ 5:30 to 8:00 PM
Friday: BJJ 7:30 to 8:30 AM and again from 5:30 to 8:00 PM
Saturday: 1 hour of swimming.

I've had to take the last two weeks off due to nagging injuries but I plan on going back to a three day a week BJJ schedule and making up for the rest with gym visits.

As for food:

Chicken or shrimp with rice or noodles plus veggies of some sort. I'm a pretty boring dude when it comes to cooking. No alcohol, lots of water, occasionally orange juice, rarely milk. No coffee, no pop. Lots of fruit.
Well done with the weight loss (having tight fitting clothes get baggy is a great feeling!).
Also, great work on dropping the booze. That's one thing I could not do. To me that would be so much tougher than watching what I eat (although I'm sure I'd get great results if I did).

Couple Q's: What's BJJ? And why are you avoiding red meat?

Old
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Perrah

BJJ is brazilian jui jitsu I would guess and red meat has saturated fats in it so its cleaner to eat fish and chicken/turkey.

Old
08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
That's a lot of different exercises, and many of them with machines.

Also, you should focus on a couple of body parts at a time rather than doing them all every day.

From what I've read and heard, Starting Strength is the way to go if you're new to weight lifting. Once you've built up your overall strength, you can move on to focussing on specific muscles.

From the sounds of it, you know Kareem quite well and he's willing to help you get started with it. It might take a bit of time before you get your squat form right (for example), but that's probably the best lifting exercise you can do for your body.
Well I put in many exercises to focus on every parts of my body for the whole week. The machines are mostly the lower body exercises.

I'm aware this wouldn't be the perfect workout routine as Starting strenght would be better, but I feel these exercises are a lot easier to begin with since they're not as technical as those suggested by Karim. I guess this kind of workout routine would still help me get bigger and stronger right?

Karim might help me with my squat forms in a few weeks so we never know, maybe I'll add it to my workout routine some day.

Old
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
ClasslessGuy

So tonight i'll change my 60min jogging by alternating 1 min of sprint with 2 min of jogging! (for 60min)

Old
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Well I put in many exercises to focus on every parts of my body for the whole week. The machines are mostly the lower body exercises.

I'm aware this wouldn't be the perfect workout routine as Starting strenght would be better, but I feel these exercises are a lot easier to begin with since they're not as technical as those suggested by Karim. I guess this kind of workout routine would still help me get bigger and stronger right?

Karim might help me with my squat forms in a few weeks so we never know, maybe I'll add it to my workout routine some day.
Your routine is horrible man, it won't do anything after 2 weeks. I already helped you on your squat form btw. Do this instead: http://forum DOT bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120309781.

Replace DOT by a dot

Seriously, don't make up your own routine, it will always blow. It's like making your own class curriculum without having ever gone to school.

EDIT: Man that routine is bad.

Quote:
So tonight i'll change my 60min jogging by alternating 1 min of sprint with 2 min of jogging! (for 60min)
If you can keep up 1 minute of straight sprinting, you're not sprinting.

If you can do it for 60 minutes (a total of 20 minutes of sprints), you're not sprinting.

Just search for a premade routine online.

Old
08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Your routine is horrible man, it won't do anything after 2 weeks. I already helped you on your squat form btw. Do this instead: http://forum DOT bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120309781.

Replace DOT by a dot

Seriously, don't make up your own routine, it will always blow. It's like making your own class curriculum without having ever gone to school.
Except mine

Old
08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:

Replace DOT by a dot

EDIT: Man that routine is bad.
Terrible and bad in what sense? You seem to talk like I would be better of not doing it at all.

What's so terrible about my routine other than there's no squat and deadlift?

Old
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Except mine

Yeah, lol.

Quote:
Terrible and bad in what sense? You seem to talk like I would be better of not doing it at all.

I talk like you should do a premade routine and not come up with horrible routines. You have no experience or knowledge in making routines. Just do ANY premade routine, even if doesn't have squats or deadlifts, just find one made by someone who's trained people and gotten results and do it. I'm not arguing about it more than this. If you want more feedback, post your routine on BB.com

Last edited by Little Nilan: 08-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I just snacked on Pringles Wheat Stix (pizza flavor)

Old
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:

Starting Strength was designed for beginning weight lifters.

However, if you really don't feel comfortable with, there are many workout routines available on the net. Read up on them and grab one that you think you will enjoy and do it.
Once you get into it a bit and read up on lifting more, then you could maybe start tweaking it to what you want.

The one thing that sticks out the most to me in your routine is that you do a little bit of everything every day you work out. I've never seen a workout program like that.
You should be targetting specific muscle groups in your training rather than just doing a little bit of everything.

Old
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

I think I like this one : http://forumDOTbodybuilding.com/show....php?t=4195843

Maybe replacing the squats for Leg Press??

Old
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
HotPie

Quote:

The problem with any beginner routine that doesn't have squats or deadlifts is that they don't have squats or deadlifts, which makes them terrible.

Those are the two single most important exercise when it comes to anything involving stimulation of strength and muscle growth, ESPECIALLY for beginners, that it makes no sense to NOT have them.

I suppose you can sub them out by doing leg press instead of squats, and having barbell rows, weighted hyper extensions and glute/ham raises instead of deadlifts, but still...

You should have as little isolation exercises as possible and as many compound/full body lifts as you can.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Sebaldian

I'm always looking for new salads to try and I stumbled across this one today:
http://www.garlicfarm.ca/spinach-salad.htm

I made it without bacon as I'm watching my sodium and fat intake, and it was still delicious. Very simple, but it's the best salad I've had in a while.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I think I like this one : http://forumDOTbodybuilding.com/show....php?t=4195843

Maybe replacing the squats for Leg Press??
why replace the squats?

Old
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
My goal is not only fat loss, I read up on the ketosis diet and I don't think it's for me. I rather eat a lot and train a lot, and the fat will eventually come off once I build more muscle and keep a clean diet.
Alright, so basically you're admitting you eat a lot and then are surprised you're not losing weight...

People don't seem to understand that building muscle requires a tremendous amount of energy, thus requiring a caloric surplus, thus making you gain fat, not LOSE fat in the process. You can minimize fat gains by only going slightly over your caloric surplus, but the fact of the matter is you're not going to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

It can happen at first if you're a noob training right, but other than that you need supreme genetic superiority with the help of steroids for it to happen.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
speed11

Quote:

If you can keep up 1 minute of straight sprinting, you're not sprinting.

If you can do it for 60 minutes (a total of 20 minutes of sprints), you're not sprinting.

Just search for a premade routine online.
why do you say that? my SIT consists of 1 min sprints (9.5mph) on treadmill followed with 1 min walk (3mph), then again, there is no way you can keep that up for 60 mins, nor should you, 20mins is ideal.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Alright, so basically you're admitting you eat a lot and then are surprised you're not losing weight...

People don't seem to understand that building muscle requires a tremendous amount of energy, thus requiring a caloric surplus, thus making you gain fat, not LOSE fat in the process. You can minimize fat gains by only going slightly over your caloric surplus, but the fact of the matter is you're not going to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
It's actually quite common and I've already done it.

Closed Thread