HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Galchenyuk94

vCash: 500
Hey does anyone buy their proteins through bodybuilding.com? Their prices look unmatchable.

I'm looking pretty hard at Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard. Seems like a good noob protein.

Tomorrow I'll go to GNC and Popeye's to compare prices, because there's a 21$ shipping fee to Canada.

But still, 10lbs ON 100% @ 79.99$ + 21$ shipping fee = 101$ + tax. Similar websites have the 10lbs at 120$ not including shipping.

Still seems pretty reasonable to me. Also, anyone have any flavors to recommend? I heard chocolate is pretty damn good.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Hey 68, your routine looks bad. Lots of isolation and no compound mouvements. You only have 1 leg exercise and it's the leg press, which is a ****** exercise. No squats, deadlifts, chin ups, pull ups, Db rows, barbell rows, barbell presses, DIPS (essential), lunges, nothing. Try it though, it might be good for your body type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Just came back from the gym.

I did squats. Or tried to. At least I did. I did a 125lbs 5 reps squats (prolly wasnt proper squats anyways).

I do not feel sore, which is kind of weird, I like the idea of no pain no gain, so I'm kind of not sure if my training was good enough.
Don't sweat it Seb, don't look at soreness as an indicator of anything. The real pain is during the work sets. You will now when you're doing squats correctly when you actually feel anxious before your sets. Your peripheral nervous system will be ****ed up after a set of 5 proper reps. That usually happens when people get to 225 for the first time, or around 200lbs. Trust me man, do it over a long period of time and you'll eventually understand how things work.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Galchenyuk94

Oh and one more thing, I'm going to start taking a Multi V every day, and I'm guessing that the regular costco brand that is 10x cheaper is almost as good as the brand name stuff you find on bb.com?

Old
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Personally I find the chest and back to be too big a workout to put together. Also when you train your chest, you train your triceps as well. Same goes for back and biceps. I suggest putting them together to give your biceps/triceps more rest time and to work them when they're already being worked out.
Thanks man. Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Hey 68, your routine looks bad. Lots of isolation and no compound mouvements. You only have 1 leg exercise and it's the leg press, which is a ****** exercise. No squats, deadlifts, chin ups, pull ups, Db rows, barbell rows, barbell presses, DIPS (essential), lunges, nothing. Try it though, it might be good for your body type.
Thanks I will try to include some compound movements. What would you do for legs? I tried doing squats before but I don't like them.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you eat properly and focus on eating animal fat, then it's not a problem at all.
Not really the type of hyperboles you want to use in this thread.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks man. Good advice.

Thanks I will try to include some compound movements. What would you do for legs? I tried doing squats before but I don't like them.
Of course not. They're hard to learn and even harder when you get to a higher weight.

Routine looks like this:

Squats 3 sets of warm up
2 sets of heavier warm ups
1 set of heavy weight (260 to 320lbs or so) for lots of reps (8 to 20)

Squats:
1 set of 15-20 @ 225
1 set of 15 @ 225
1 set of 10-15 @ 225

Maybe some leg press drop sets once in a while for reps, starting at 16 45 plates.

Then good mornings
135-185lbs, 5 to 25 reps depending. 5-8 sets

Ab work (8 sets)
Then on another day of the week:

Deadlifts 3 sets of warm up
2 sets of heavier warm ups
1 set of lots of reps with a weight from 315 to 350lbs.

Rack pulls, reps for 315 to 400 pounds

Front squats:
135 to 185lbs for volume (5 to 20 reps), 5-6 sets

45 deg. back extension, Barbell on back, 100lbs for lots of volume, 5 sets.

ab work (8 sets)
About 50-60 chin ups in between sets

Just a lot of leg work basically. Nothing impressive in terms of weight, but this is the kind of training that got me from a 95lbs quarter squat to where I am now in a little over a year (though I know Rippetoe has gotten some of his guys from 145 to 350x5 in six months, he got them really fat in the process, I'm 165lbs). Stress levels have hurt my strength gains lately though. I'm way overworked at school and work.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Thank you Scotty hates Sergei. Starting at 16 45 plates on the leg press? That's ****ing impressive man.

Old
08-05-2010, 01:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
I'm way overworked at school and work.
What are you studying btw? I think I remember you saying you were in or already did a bach of mech engineering. Are you with that or in grad studies?

Old
08-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Habs

Well, I received a free bowflex Blaze from someone who never used it, not even once. I have tried it for 4 months now, and... I'm impressed. My joints are not sore, and I get a good workout every time.

Never thought I'd see the day I would believe that machine would work.

I still have lots of work to do, my baloney-**** are have been disappearing over time.

Old
08-05-2010, 05:20 AM
TheRumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pretty much. The Soda is a killer. Watching what you drink is almost a diet on it's own IMO. Fruit drinks(not juices), alcohol, sodas and so on have calories, people overlook that.
Oh yeah. In high school without fail, I used to eat an extra large slice of pizza or panzerottie with a coke every single day because it used to be $1.50 and $2 for each respective combo. Pop pretty much became second nature to me and I started having a coke with every meal.

I pretty much cut out all that crap in my first year of university though. It wasn't a healthy decision so much as it was a business decision - had to set aside money for alcohol.

Quote:
Are people actually scared of the sat fats in red meat?

That's where it's at, man. Not saying have it at every meal, but animal fat is the last thing you should be apprehensive of.
Well for me, a lot of it has to do with ethics as well as health. I've been wanting to cut mammals for a long time. When I moved out of my mom's house, I was able to cut out pork cold turkey. Beef took a while but I only eat it with very specific Asian dishes now (stuff is just too tasty). So now it's pretty much just poultry, seafood and tofu.

Old
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you eat properly and focus on eating animal fat, then it's not a problem at all.
Don't waste your breath. He's convinced saturated fats are the devil, so your arguing with him won't change a thing.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Bud2790

Quote:
So random help needed. Anyone ever hear of developing allergies as you get older? Here's my issue.

When I was a kid, I ate wtv I want, no problem, even as a teenager. I'm 23 now.

When I was 20, I had a banana before work, something I always used to eat(perhaps as far as a few weeks before this date) and suddenly, stomach pains, red eyes, sore throat and eventually I got out of my car when I got to work and had to throw up...same situation any other time I had bananas after this.

About a year about, took a sip of grape juice, not drink, juice. Same situation, retarded stomach pains, coughing, sore throat, red eyes, threw up. I had hives on my face.

Last week I had peaches, which isn't something crazy, I always ate peaches. Same situation, to a minor degree, only one red eye, swollen lip on one part. Very weak, it went after an hour and disappeared.

Had almonds today, man I feel retarded...sneezing for literally 20 minutes straight, red eyes, sore throat, the works. Took a reactine, I feel slightly better now. My throat is shot now, I feel like a 90 year old smoker.

I'm obviously going to go see doctor and get an allergy test when I can, just wondering if there's a name or situation to describe this phenomenon where you develop allergies as you grow older? I've heard of old allergies getting worse, but this is retarded. I used to devour bananas, peaches, almonds and so on as a teenager and a kid, why is it a death wish now?
I've encountered something similar, but not to the same extent as you have. Whenever I eat peaches and apples, I get swollen lips...So yeah, definately not as bad as your problem, but it's pretty similar.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post
How's your fat ass looking? Enjoying the bonbons?
Looking pretty good since I cut out grains and stopped being afraid of the saturated fats (down 10 lbs and 10 lbs away from my ideal weight).

For a year and a half, I ate pretty much solely whole grains, fruits, veggies, low-fat and unsweetened everything (skim milk, 0% plain yogurt, etc) and stuck to very lean meat like skinless chicken breasts, pork tenderloin (spending 20 minutes cutting off any piece of fat I could find), extra lean ground meats, fish, etc.
Pretty much maintained at 220lbs (give or take 5 lbs) for the entire time.

Now I cut out grains and eat all of the meat, with the fat, and lost 10 lbs in a month.

You go ahead and eat your dry and tasteless meats. You clearly won't change your mind, so what's the point in arguing it?

I'm gonna keep dropping weight and eat tasty (and sometimes fatty) meat in the meantime.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Went to a physio last night... Finally found why my legs hurt like %$"%? after 2-3 days of jogging... Periostitis (Périostite) ....

I have a couple of choices now... Change my running shoes and stop always running on hard ground.

The physio told me it was not a problem with my leg muscle or feet...

Any advice for brand new shoe? brand? (I have a pair of nike running right now)

Old
08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Bud2790

I'm no shoe expert, but New Balance usually has good running shoes.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
m00ks

I like the subtle eloquence he employed.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
Went to a physio last night... Finally found why my legs hurt like %$"%? after 2-3 days of jogging... Periostitis (Périostite) ....

I have a couple of choices now... Change my running shoes and stop always running on hard ground.

This might be a little extreme for you, but I've switched to Vibrams (barefoot shoes), and I run mostly on grass, although I'm slowly moving to harder surfaces with them.

Because of all the support of a standard shoe, most people don't have proper running posture which can cause pain in joints, shins, and in your back. By switching to a more minimal shoe (Nike Air apparently is pretty good too), to soften the shock, your body adjusts to how you're supposed to run. (more on the ball of your foot than on the heels).

If you're looking for standard running shoes, New Balance makes pretty good ones as Bud said above.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Learn how to do pose running, and get some fivefingers or Aesics.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Based on your routine, this comes as no surprise. It's good to keep active and run, but all exercise does wear and tear on the body...running is no different. Eventually if you run like that forever, your knees will start to hurt too. Focus on efficient running, like some have said, sprints or whatever as opposed to jogging for an hour. Also, I don't know what shoes you have, but if they are old, they get worn down and don't support your activity. Make sure you have proper running shoes.

Quote:
Causes
Acute periostitis is due to infection, is characterized by diffuse formation of pus, severe pain, constitutional symptoms, and usually results in necrosis. It can be caused by excessive physical activity as well, as in the case of shin splints (tibial periostitis). Congenital infection with syphilis can also cause periostitis in newborn infants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periostitis
I would change my diet before jogging an hour a day. Not sure you saw it, but like I said, find out how many calories you're having and then see if it's too much or too little via calorie intake recommendations based on your details. In terms of weight loss, no point eating more then burning off the weight by running. Yah, you gotta eat what you gotta eat and you have to remain active, but no point killing yourself with unreasonable training regime. This isn't to say 60 min jog is a huge deal, but my guess is, if it hurts now, its because it's not something you're used to. So why jump to an extreme? Work out other parts of your body as well and shorten the running.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
This might be a little extreme for you, but I've switched to Vibrams (barefoot shoes), and I run mostly on grass, although I'm slowly moving to harder surfaces with them.

Because of all the support of a standard shoe, most people don't have proper running posture which can cause pain in joints, shins, and in your back. By switching to a more minimal shoe (Nike Air apparently is pretty good too), to soften the shock, your body adjusts to how you're supposed to run. (more on the ball of your foot than on the heels).

If you're looking for standard running shoes, New Balance makes pretty good ones as Bud said above.
I'm sucker for doing everything barefoot, including working out at home and running around (on grass) outside, so I've considered Vibrams. Are they worth it?

Old
08-05-2010, 11:57 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
I'm sucker for doing everything barefoot, including working out at home and running around (on grass) outside, so I've considered Vibrams. Are they worth it?
Ya, I've started working out barefoot at home (I'm really liking it). I'm not overly comfortable barefoot outside yet (although I've done it a couple times).

I live in a condo though and need to go to the park to run (and who knows what you might step into, haha).

P.S. - I just checked the pictures in the contestants area....wow, you have a really nice body (contrary to what maxp said). How long have you been eating Primal/Paleo?
P.S.S (or is it P.P.S.) - I'm not trying to hit on you or anything. I'm engaged and know you have a bf, hahah. I just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited by fufonzo: 08-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Ya, I've started working out barefoot at home (I'm really liking it). I'm not overly comfortable barefoot outside yet (although I've done it a couple times).

I live in a condo though and need to go to the park to run (and who knows what you might step into, haha).

P.S. - I just checked the pictures in the contestants area....wow, you have a really nice body (contrary to what maxp said). How long have you been eating Primal/Paleo?
P.S.S (or is it P.P.S.) - I'm not trying to hit on you or anything. I'm engaged and know you have a bf, hahah. I just thought I'd point that out.
True about stepping on unfortunate things outside. I've started getting barefoot even on concrete (which is not always comfortable) but using it as an excuse to take off brutally uncomfortable chick shoes is always nice. I find it's definitely helping with balance and stuff when working out at home.

Haha, thanks. I've actually only been strictly Primal for about a month, more or less. I've always eaten and exercised well before that, but I've found Primal/Paleo, both in terms of nutrition and exercise philosophy, to make a big difference not only in how I look, but feel. It's freeing, in a sense, despite what restrictions people might think it has as a "diet". I'm thoroughly enjoying it. How long have you been doing it?

Old
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Based on your routine, this comes as no surprise. It's good to keep active and run, but all exercise does wear and tear on the body...running is no different. Eventually if you run like that forever, your knees will start to hurt too. Focus on efficient running, like some have said, sprints or whatever as opposed to jogging for an hour. Also, I don't know what shoes you have, but if they are old, they get worn down and don't support your activity. Make sure you have proper running shoes.

I would change my diet before jogging an hour a day. Not sure you saw it, but like I said, find out how many calories you're having and then see if it's too much or too little via calorie intake recommendations based on your details. In terms of weight loss, no point eating more then burning off the weight by running. Yah, you gotta eat what you gotta eat and you have to remain active, but no point killing yourself with unreasonable training regime. This isn't to say 60 min jog is a huge deal, but my guess is, if it hurts now, its because it's not something you're used to. So why jump to an extreme? Work out other parts of your body as well and shorten the running.
Yeah i saw that part yesterday, running is the only thing that hurt for me so i'll try to replace it with activities like hockey on friday night, and maybe more biking

I'll try running in the grass next time (a week maybe) my shoes are brand new...

I'm starting to see what i got to do and not !

Old
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Yeah i saw that part yesterday, running is the only thing that hurt for me so i'll try to replace it with activities like hockey on friday night, and maybe more biking

I'll try running in the grass next time (a week maybe) my shoes are brand new...

I'm starting to see what i got to do and not !
Ever consider joining a sport? You see like an active guy and maybe you'd do well with MMA classes, or perhaps joining a ball hockey team or something. You can try simple exercises too, to tone a bit. Sit ups, pulls ups, push ups. Stuff that should be easy to do around the house.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
True about stepping on unfortunate things outside. I've started getting barefoot even on concrete (which is not always comfortable) but using it as an excuse to take off brutally uncomfortable chick shoes is always nice. I find it's definitely helping with balance and stuff when working out at home.

Haha, thanks. I've actually only been strictly Primal for about a month, more or less. I've always eaten and exercised well before that, but I've found Primal/Paleo, both in terms of nutrition and exercise philosophy, to make a big difference not only in how I look, but feel. It's freeing, in a sense, despite what restrictions people might think it has as a "diet". I'm thoroughly enjoying it. How long have you been doing it?
I've only been doing it for about a month but I'm loving it. I know completely what you mean by how it's freeing.
I've always been a bit bigger and had been watching my eating very closely for a couple of years now but wasn't really getting where I wanted. And any time I actually did successfully lose weight, I felt like I had to count calories and starve myself (then when I went back to eating normally, I'd just go back to where I was before).
Now, I'm almost never hungry anymore and I don't get cravings like I used to. So I'm losing the weight effortlessly and I get to eat steak and butter and bacon, etc (in moderation).

Also, I hated cardio, so their approach to fitness is great for me as well. I just spend a lot more time outside with my dog, walking, running, and climbing around the playground at the park (assuming no kids are there, cuz that'd be weird....well weirder than it already is, haha)

So, ya this sounds like a really bad infomercial, but as you can tell I'm really excited about it, haha.

Closed Thread