HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Watching NHL in Australia?

Old
09-19-2011, 07:25 AM
badinsults
TWO WEEKS

vCash: 500
Watching NHL in Australia?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I live in Australia, and though last season I knew there were some games played on TV, I never really searched them out. Now that my Jets are back, I want to be able to see them playing live. What stations play NHL games? I know that NHL Center Ice is an option, but frankly, most games are playing when I am at work, and I don't think it would be worth paying for the whole season. Plus, if I started using a ton of bandwidth in my building streaming games, they might cut me off.

badinsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

If you have Fox then they normally show the Versus games through the week, usually on a tuesday or wednesday morning. Sometimes early in the season they do some double headers as well.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 06:52 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I live in Australia, and though last season I knew there were some games played on TV, I never really searched them out. Now that my Jets are back, I want to be able to see them playing live. What stations play NHL games? I know that NHL Center Ice is an option, but frankly, most games are playing when I am at work, and I don't think it would be worth paying for the whole season. Plus, if I started using a ton of bandwidth in my building streaming games, they might cut me off.
If you can get a better internet then get Gamecenter Live. You can watch the games live or later in the day so it's perfect for people where games are too early for example.

Basically they only show Versus games on Foxtel and it's usually just the Original 6 teams or the defending cup champs shown. Sometimes they show other matches but last season for example there were games like Anaheim v LA on and they showed Chicago feeds of Chicago v Minnesota, so yeah.

I'd recommend GCL if you can get it, it's by far the best option in Australia IMO

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

last year i used hockeystreams.com for my nhl viewing and it was kind of hit and miss

pros:
  • no blackout of feeds, which becomes very important during the playoffs where gamecenter won't show any tsn or cbc feeds
  • games are achived immediately, meaning i can watch a game when i get home from work on the same day that it's played...gamecenter will usually wait 12-24 hours to archive a game which makes that feature pretty much worthless
  • includes extras such as world championships, world juniors, trade deadline specials, ect.
  • about 1/3 of the price for a full year

cons:
  • quality is hit or miss...last year they used silverlight for feeds which made things very unstable...this year they're switching to flash which should improve performance
  • no home/away feed option, although they will almost always use a canadian feed for a canadian game
  • no ps3/ipod/ect. device app options (although i tried ps3 gamecenter app and it was pretty much unwatchable)
  • not exactly legal, but there's an established community so it's not dodgy either

the biggest problem of course is the terrible and ancient "broadband" network in australia, which makes any kind of streaming a frustrating experience...hopefully these kinds of experiences will be more valuable once the nbn gets going

and foxtel is basically worthless for hockey...delayed games, cut out portions, strange feed selection...go with an internet option for sure

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
last year i used hockeystreams.com for my nhl viewing and it was kind of hit and miss

pros:
  • no blackout of feeds, which becomes very important during the playoffs where gamecenter won't show any tsn or cbc feeds
  • games are achived immediately, meaning i can watch a game when i get home from work on the same day that it's played...gamecenter will usually wait 12-24 hours to archive a game which makes that feature pretty much worthless
  • includes extras such as world championships, world juniors, trade deadline specials, ect.
  • about 1/3 of the price for a full year

cons:
  • quality is hit or miss...last year they used silverlight for feeds which made things very unstable...this year they're switching to flash which should improve performance
  • no home/away feed option, although they will almost always use a canadian feed for a canadian game
  • no ps3/ipod/ect. device app options (although i tried ps3 gamecenter app and it was pretty much unwatchable)
  • not exactly legal, but there's an established community so it's not dodgy either

the biggest problem of course is the terrible and ancient "broadband" network in australia, which makes any kind of streaming a frustrating experience...hopefully these kinds of experiences will be more valuable once the nbn gets going

and foxtel is basically worthless for hockey...delayed games, cut out portions, strange feed selection...go with an internet option for sure
Are you sure? I was watching Ducks games on demand about an hour after they finished on GCL

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Miss Ausguins
FOCAF Member #1

I generally rely on Fox Sports myself. The playoffs coverage last season was terrible.

A lot of the time, I have my sources to watch Penguins games.

Last edited by Miss Ausguins: 09-26-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Fox Sports as mentioned above show Versus games during the week, other than that it's internet viewing.

I always use streams to watch Calgary play, been using the cbc website to view Hockey Night in Canada recently.

A friend of mine said that gamecentre is very good.

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
ThreeStars

I live in Oz and have GameCentre this year and last. Quality wise it is really good....feed it to my 46inch HD TV, looks good and plays well. I usually watch games on delay when I get home from work, except on weekends when I can watch live.

I use the 1600kbps and that looks good on the TV and the connection can handle it. If I watch a game on delay and skip the ads (2mins) and the intermissions (18mins) that takes up about 2Gb, a live game with ads is probably 2.5-3.5Gb.

There are no blackouts (except there may not be RDS feeds). Had no trouble watching all of the playoffs.

ThreeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
SpruceMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
games are achived immediately, meaning i can watch a game when i get home from work on the same day that it's played...gamecenter will usually wait 12-24 hours to archive a game which makes that feature pretty much worthless
Not true anymore. You can watch games on Gamecenter the second they finish. In fact you can watch from the start of the game whilst the game is still going. Sometimes I wake up late (e.g. 11:30am and the game started at 11:10am) and I watch from the start, skip the ads and catch up to the live feed).

Plus the quality is fantastic, I have fast Internet so I use the 3000kbs feed and it looks fantastic. I don't even watch the games that are on Foxtel because the quality is better on GC (don't have HD channels).

SpruceMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
I just stream onto my laptop. Very hit and miss

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:00 AM
AussieCanuck

I'm thinking of getting gamecenter, up until now i was streaming off dodgy websites with bad quality and ads messing with the streams. My only concern is that it will eat up my data quickly. Should i be worried? I'll be streaming off my mac, ipad and ps3 if that makes any difference.

AussieCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Roger Explosion

Fox Sports usually has a couple of live games a week. I watched the Penguins-Islanders game this morning.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Don't know how I came into this section of site but doesn't NHL Gamecenter work there?

I also think there shouldn't be any blackouts on gamecenter there because I try to use Australian proxy/VPN to bypass blackouts.

I got it this season, but I think given the quality, gamecenter is really worth it. Being in Australia, you can even watch the entire game immediately after the game if you miss it too.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:25 AM
No1TopGun

Gamecenter subscriber here... definitely the best option. No blackouts and can watch games after work or when ever just gotta turn the scores off . Price is very reasonable as well for a full season

No1TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote