HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Lee Stempniak to Pittsburgh.

Old
08-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Noah23

vCash: 500
Lee Stempniak to Pittsburgh.

Why not? seems a perfect place for him

Noah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:32 AM
TheReaper

Speculation??

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:49 AM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
Speculation??
Well I mean, people can speculate, but...eh, not the best label for just a shot in the dark, I agree.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:23 AM
SkullSplitter

Perfect place for him? There's no cap room to sign him!

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I thought his right-shot was a much better fit with the Pens and their left-handed centers than Poni, but the Pens went in a different direction at the deadline.

The Pens could only offer him about 1.0 - 1.5 million without considering 10 different creative ways from Pens fans to clear more cap room, which will never happen. Stemp is probably out of our price range.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:40 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Pens could only offer him about 1.0 - 1.5 million without considering 10 different creative ways from Pens fans to clear more cap room, which will never happen. Stemp is probably out of our price range.
It seems late into free agency for Stempniak to still be trying to squeeze every penny out of a team.

Sign with Pittsburgh for league minimum, rack up points with Sid or Malkin and cash out next summer for the longest term anybody will give you.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Erm...speculation? Really?

Even at a discount he'd be tough to fit under the cap, and he's not really a bona fide top sixer either.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:52 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Erm...speculation? Really?

Even at a discount he'd be tough to fit under the cap, and he's not really a bona fide top sixer either.
48 pts / 80 gp
44 pts / 75 gp
38 pts / 80 gp
52 pts / 82 gp

He looks like a solid 2nd line winger to me and he blows away every winger on Pittsburgh behind Kunitz.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Those are tweener numbers in my book. Mid-40s point totals aren't bona fide top sixers in my book, especially not coming from streaky one-dimensional players.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
48 pts / 80 gp
44 pts / 75 gp
38 pts / 80 gp
52 pts / 82 gp

He looks like a solid 2nd line winger to me and he blows away every winger on Pittsburgh behind Kunitz.
18 pts in 18 games after the trade to PHO inflated those numbers. He was one of our least effective players in the playoff series with Detroit, adding credence to that "tweener/inconsistency" notion. That all said, I'd welcome him back to Phoenix with open arms knowing he fits in here, but at 2.5/3M he's too rich for our blood.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:52 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
48 pts / 80 gp
44 pts / 75 gp
38 pts / 80 gp
52 pts / 82 gp

Add some perspective. What he did in Phoenix was catching lightning in a bottle. Stempniak is a 2nd/3rd line tweener who is good for 40 points a year.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

They basically don't have any cap space

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:04 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
18 pts in 18 games after the trade to PHO inflated those numbers. He was one of our least effective players in the playoff series with Detroit, adding credence to that "tweener/inconsistency" notion.
Those numbers included 300 games with other teams beyond Phoenix and 2nd line players are inconsistent. They average a point every 2 games... but not literally 1 point every two games, right?

Quote:
Those are tweener numbers in my book. Mid-40s point totals aren't bona fide top sixers in my book, especially not coming from streaky one-dimensional players.
There should be 90 first liners in the NHL and 180 "Top-6 forwards".

Only 53 forwards had 60+ points last year.
95 had 50+ points.
142 had 40+ points.

People exaggerate scoring levels a lot on this site, spewing crap like "2nd liners should be consistent 60 point players." That's just not reality.

*oh, and those totals are already cumulative... they add up to 142 (not 290 or anything like that).

Old
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Guy can shoot. That's about it.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Add some perspective. What he did in Phoenix was catching lightning in a bottle. Stempniak is a 2nd/3rd line tweener who is good for 40 points a year.
And Pittsburgh's top 4 wingers ARE bonefide 2nd liners?

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Erz8771

If he wanted to sign for 1.5, by all means.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

If he wants to sign for 1.5 or less, fine.

If he's got a more accurate shot than Pascal Dupuis, I'm all for giving him a shot.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
And Pittsburgh's top 4 wingers ARE bonefide 2nd liners?
Nope.

Kunitz is and one of Malkin/Staal will move to the wing and that'll make 2. Tangradi has the talent to be a top 2 line wing, so that's 3 in a best case scenario. Still leaves them 1 short and maybe 2 if Tangradi isn't ready.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Guy can shoot. That's about it.
Can't even do that well.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:
Nope.

Kunitz is and one of Malkin/Staal will move to the wing and that'll make 2. Tangradi has the talent to be a top 2 line wing, so that's 3 in a best case scenario. Still leaves them 1 short and maybe 2 if Tangradi isn't ready.
And frankly I'd rather have a defensively aware player like Dupuis filling in on the top six than get a one-dimensional player who is streaky as all hell. Yeah, Dupuis is out of his element on the first line...but he also never hurts the team when he's on the ice (yeah he may miss the net a hell of a lot more than you'd like, but he's so ****ing fast and has a decent head on him that he rarely makes stupid mistakes and when he does he usually covers up for them...unlike two of our other 'top sixers' last year.

Labels like top six winger or #1 defenseman are all very relative and don't go by sheer numbers. There are not 120 top six wingers in the NHL at any given moment since a good number of those are either tweeners, unestablished, or on the downturn of their career. The Penguins only had one true top sixer last year in Chris Kunitz (who was hurt most of the year so not even a statistical top sixer...you can sub in Guerin if you want but he was such a liability at times I'd balk at calling him a top sixer). That doesn't mean there were 3 other guys sitting on the third line somewhere else...

Anyway...Kunitz, Tangradi, and one of Malkin/Staal will give the Penguins 3 likely top sixers within a couple months of the season starting. I'm not interested in blowing what little cap space we have (and likely having to create some more room to do so) on going after a one-dimensional player. I want Shero to go into the season with what we have now and use that cap space at the deadline.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Stempniak isn't a defensive liability. He wouldn't have lasted a minute under Tippett had he been. Will he kill penalties and be counted on to defend a one-goal lead in the final minute? No. But he's not going to be stapled to the bench in the third period, either.

He forechecks hard, hits when opportunities strike, and plays a feistier game than he's given credit for as well.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
davemess

Wouldnt be against Lee Stempniak to the Penguins if the price was right.

Doubt a guy coming off a 28 goal season is going to want to take a $1mill+ paycut.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:39 AM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
I thought his right-shot was a much better fit with the Pens and their left-handed centers than Poni, but the Pens went in a different direction at the deadline.

That's the right number. Capgeek is showing you guys with $2,174,355 in cap space with a 20-man roster. After a depth-dman and at few hundred thousand in cap-room, there's still some room to give Crosby/Malkin a skilled playmate. I'm sure your board has discussed Afinogenov as a possibility.

Quote:
Anyway...Kunitz, Tangradi, and one of Malkin/Staal will give the Penguins 3 likely top sixers within a couple months of the season starting. I'm not interested in blowing what little cap space we have (and likely having to create some more room to do so) on going after a one-dimensional player. I want Shero to go into the season with what we have now and use that cap space at the deadline.
Is this something the Penguins want to keep on doing? You've given up picks and prospects over the past three years for Hossa, Gill, Leopold and Ponikarovsky. At some point it may be a good idea to have your roster set coming out of training camp and hang on to your prospects and draft picks, especially since you're not going to be handed any slam-dunks at the top of the first round for the forseeable future.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Is this something the Penguins want to keep on doing? You've given up picks and prospects over the past three years for Hossa, Gill, Leopold and Ponikarovsky. At some point it may be a good idea to have your roster set coming out of training camp and hang on to your prospects and draft picks, especially since you're not going to be handed any slam-dunks at the top of the first round for the forseeable future.
Ponikarovsky busted on us, but Hossa played a huge part in our first run back to the Cup, Gill was huge in getting there twice and winning it once. Guerin was a huge influence on the 09 team...

Leopold was a solid necessity that grew out of a discount player acquired in the off-season wearing down (McKee started out great but was lousy by the time the deadline came around and couldn't play every night). There's a reason why so many discount players come at a discount price.

I don't want us to go get a Hossa every year, but guys like Gill, Guerin, and Kunitz were worth their weight in gold, and Kunitz continues to be.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
That's the right number. Capgeek is showing you guys with $2,174,355 in cap space with a 20-man roster. After a depth-dman and at few hundred thousand in cap-room, there's still some room to give Crosby/Malkin a skilled playmate. I'm sure your board has discussed Afinogenov as a possibility.

I agree with 'Big' that this year that is the way to go but the point that the Pens can't keep doing this every year is a good one. About the only ones I would like to see the Pens consider, if they could be had at that $1.0 to 1.5M, would be Eric Belanger or maybe John Madden. A third line Center that is good on face offs to ease the move of Staal up to 2nd line.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote