HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren "Not Interested in Ex-'Hawk Niemi"

Old
08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
2minutes4slashing

vCash: 500
Theodore was a name I brought up a month ago, I'd go with Theo/Leighton as tandem... no question.

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Theodore was a name I brought up a month ago, I'd go with Theo/Leighton as tandem... no question.
Yeah, as much as Theodore gets trashed, he's not a bad goalie. He's put up decent stats behind some pretty crappy defensive teams as a starter. He had a .911 save percentage and 30 wins in 47 games behind a Caps team that's atrocious defensively.

I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Theodore-Leighton-Backlund rather then Leighton-Boucher-Backlund.

Plus, I don't think anyone's going after Theodore and he's still not signed anywhere. He'd probably be willing to sign for dirt-cheap.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
McNasty

If they aren't interested how do they know what he will cost

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:24 PM
goodrev

to everyone who is cranky about this....

when the team you just won the stanley cup with knows you are a bad investment at 2.75 million a year and see you as a non intregal part of the teams future at 26 years old it should be a tell tale sign that you really are not that good. I know Chicago cant afford him, but if the Really thought he was worth the money they would have made room like they did to resign Kane and Hjamerson (spelling) this offseason. Overall, he was a hack on a good team much like leighton was... the only difference is that he is a hack looking for 3.5 a year where our hack is making 1.5.

The thing that should really piss you off is that Marty Turco is now playing in Chicago for 1.3 mill a year which is a lower price point than Leighton.

i can almost guarantee Homer is hoping that Bobo or Eriksson make a quick acclimation and have a "nitty in the olympics" performance in them on a very defencively sound team.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:24 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, as much as Theodore gets trashed, he's not a bad goalie. He's put up decent stats behind some pretty crappy defensive teams as a starter. He had a .911 save percentage and 30 wins in 47 games behind a Caps team that's atrocious defensively.

I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Theodore-Leighton-Backlund rather then Leighton-Boucher-Backlund.

Plus, I don't think anyone's going after Theodore and he's still not signed anywhere. He'd probably be willing to sign for dirt-cheap.
Theodore might even be better than Turco. I just never loved Turco the way some around here do/did...honestly I think a lot of the Turco-love was really "anybody but Leighton-love".

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
dawkins121

If Niemi could be had at or below his arbitration price it's stupid for the Flyers not to go for him. I don't know why everyone is so happy Homer is saying they have no interest. Fact is Niemi got the job done, Leighton didn't. Niemi isn't very good but he's obviously good enough to win the Cup while I think we all have our doubts about whether we can say the same about Leighton.

Either way if we could get Niemi by simply sacrificing Boucher, Cote, and Walker and have a Niemi/Leighton combo, how is that not worth going for? And teams are already offering well above his arbitration price? Who? What teams? I don't buy that.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
2minutes4slashing

I'll stick by my guns, nobody outside of Chicago even knew who Niemi was until June ..lol

Old
08-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
If Niemi could be had at or below his arbitration price it's stupid for the Flyers not to go for him. I don't know why everyone is so happy Homer is saying they have no interest. Fact is Niemi got the job done, Leighton didn't. Niemi isn't very good but he's obviously good enough to win the Cup while I think we all have our doubts about whether we can say the same about Leighton.

Either way if we could get Niemi by simply sacrificing Boucher, Cote, and Walker and have a Niemi/Leighton combo, how is that not worth going for? And teams are already offering well above his arbitration price? Who? What teams? I don't buy that.
Yeah, this.

I honestly think half the people in this topic are just trying to soothe themselves and rationalize going into the season with Leighton at this point.

Old
08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Theodore might even be better than Turco. I just never loved Turco the way some around here do/did...honestly I think a lot of the Turco-love was really "anybody but Leighton-love".
I think most people (myself included) had Mason crushes, which developed into Turco love. By next week I predict that we will all want to have Theodore's illegitimate ******* child.

The closer it gets to actually being a reality (having Leighton as a starter) the farther the "anybody but Leighton love" progresses.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I think most people (myself included) had Mason crushes, which developed into Turco love. By next week I predict that we will all want to have Theodore's illegitimate ******* child.

The closer it gets to actually being a reality (having Leighton as a starter) the farther the "anybody but Leighton love" progresses.
Correct.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

Bang on,,, ****ing any other guy than Leighton !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

You think Theodore would sign for under a mil?

I mean hes better than Leighton, but not much, but still an upgrade.

Last edited by ShawnTHW: 08-03-2010 at 03:19 PM.
ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:12 PM
2minutes4slashing

We made it to the Stanley Cup Finals for a reason , this debate is going to go on forever until either Ron Hextall, Patrick Roy or Bernie Parent come out of retirement and suit up in time for camp....

Lets quit bashing every move Homer makes and trust our talent.

Old
08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
We made it to the Stanley Cup Finals for a reason , this debate is going to go on forever until either Ron Hextall, Patrick Roy or Bernie Parent come out of retirement and suit up in time for camp....

Lets quit bashing every move Homer makes and trust our talent.
i like your first posts noob

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
2minutes4slashing

and this is coming from a Bruins fan Bus Driver from Ireland

Old
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Theodore?

Are you guys ****ing kidding me?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
i am dave

While Neimi is better than Leighton, he's not better enough to make the price he'll get worth it.

No, it seems we're stuck with what we have. We can only hope one of the kids pulls a Cechmanek in camp (but not in the playoffs AMIRITE GUYS?) and becomes the starter within the first dozen games.

Hypothetically speaking, folks, can someone explain to me why Kings fans are adamant that neither Quick nor Bernier are touchable? Seems like one has to be blocking the other.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:52 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Theodore?

Last season was:

30-7-7

.911 SV PCT

2.81 GAA

On a team with NO defense.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Theodore?

Theodore > Leighton.

That said, I have NEVER liked Theodore. He does not have the right head to maintain his job under pressure. Unless we can grab him for dirt cheap, we better not do anything significant to make room for a guy like him.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
While Neimi is better than Leighton, he's not better enough to make the price he'll get worth it.

No, it seems we're stuck with what we have. We can only hope one of the kids pulls a Cechmanek in camp (but not in the playoffs AMIRITE GUYS?) and becomes the starter within the first dozen games.

Hypothetically speaking, folks, can someone explain to me why Kings fans are adamant that neither Quick nor Bernier are touchable? Seems like one has to be blocking the other.
i have to think we threw a couple scenarios the kings way and they probably wanted too much. i was all about tradin carter for Quick right after the playoffs but now after watchin a couple more games with Quick i dont think he's that good, at least not worth carter. you gotta remember their the same as us. they've had 2 legitimate goalies their entire existence so their holden on to their stash for dear life just as i pray we'll do if we ever acquire a stash.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Bernier is still developing. Won't trade Bernier because he has very real all-star potential and they won't trade Quick because they can't just put all their hopes and dreams on Bernier right now.

Old
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Lombardi won't trade one until they are both in the NHL together for at least one full season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:43 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Last season was:

30-7-7

.911 SV PCT

2.81 GAA

On a team with NO defense.
Plus didn't his son die too ??

Anyhow, Theodore >>>>> Leighton, and it ain't even close !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
turkinaa

Theodore, Jose
Emery, Ray
Valiquette, Steve
Danis, Yann
Legace, Manny
Lalime, Patrick
Hedberg, Johan
Dubielewicz, Wade
Grahame, John
Toskala, Vesa
MacDonald, Joey
Niemi, Antti

According to TSN, these are the goalies left unsigned. One might think if they wanted to be a starting goalie they would take a pay cut, but then again how many of them would be better than Leighton or are really #1 goalies?

Turco, Marty $1.3M
Raycroft, Andrew $650K
Mason, Chris $1.85M
Sanford, Curtis $550K
Ellis, Dan $1.5M
Niittymaki, Antero $2M
Auld, Alex $1M
Biron, Martin $875K
Leighton, Michael$1.55M
Backlund, Johan $800K

Edit: Also looking at signed goalies, Only Mason and Nitty were signed to a deal that was more than Leighton's contract.

Last edited by turkinaa: 08-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Fact is, Laviolette and Leighton have history together during their time in Carolina and Laviolette has said on numerous occasions that Michael Leighton is a quality net minder who was never given an opportunity at the NHL level. To add to it, the guy is well liked by his teammates and I think that Holmgren thought about the chemistry in the locker room for once when he made the decision to re-sign Leighton. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but for all we complain about the move, it's about the guys in the locker room and the coaching staff and who they want. And if they wanted Leighton, well, Holmgren gave them their guy. When they lose with their guy, Holmgren can point to them and say that they wanted him and they got him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote