HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

planning trip week before Christmas...know nothing of area

Old
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
lol3rdround

vCash: 500
planning trip week before Christmas...know nothing of area

Been a long distance Sharks fan forever, it's time to make a pilgrimage.

The tentative plan at this point is, as I'm also a Raiders fan is to see the December 19 Broncos @ Raiders and then December 21 Oilers @ Sharks.

Two things locals would know and I have no clue about.

- Cost-effective way to get from Oakland to San Jose? I checked the BART website but they only go to Fremont?
- Good hotel near the tank? I work at a hotel myself and will likely be able to swing an industry rate so even a 4* place should be doable.

lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
You could take bart to SF (that's where you want to tour) and then cal-train to SJ.

The Fairmont hotel is one of the nicest in Downtown SJ. Or the Hilton. The De Anza is nice also and one block from the tank.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
tarlinian

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd recommend staying in SF and commuting to your local games. There's way more touristy stuff to do in SF than in Oakland or SJ. And getting to Sharks games from SF is extremely easy with Caltrain, as it stops right across the street from the Tank. (I'm not as sure about getting to the Coliseum in Oakland, but I'm pretty sure there's a BART stop there as well. You can transfer from BART to Caltrain in Millbrae very easily.) As for SJ hotels, I'd agree with SJFortheCup, but I don't really know much about SF hotels.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:27 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd recommend staying in SF and commuting to your local games. There's way more touristy stuff to do in SF than in Oakland or SJ. And getting to Sharks games from SF is extremely easy with Caltrain, as it stops right across the street from the Tank. (I'm not as sure about getting to the Coliseum in Oakland, but I'm pretty sure there's a BART stop there as well. You can transfer from BART to Caltrain in Millbrae very easily.) As for SJ hotels, I'd agree with SJFortheCup, but I don't really know much about SF hotels.
The Coliseum/airport BART station is right across from the Coliseum. There's a little pedestrian bridge/overpass that goes directly to it.

bluefunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:37 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
You could take bart to SF (that's where you want to tour) and then cal-train to SJ.

The Fairmont hotel is one of the nicest in Downtown SJ. Or the Hilton. The De Anza is nice also and one block from the tank.
Actually, it's more direct to go this way:

BART to Fremont Station.

Then hop on the VTA [Valley Transportation Authority] bus (180/181) that runs from Fremont BART to SJ Diridon.
Diridon (Which is also the Caltrain station) is right next to HP Pavilion.

http://www.bart.gov/
http://www.vta.org/

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
CupfortheSharks

Check this thread above:

Sticky: All-Purpose Sharks Forum Directory/Links repository

Lots of good info.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

You should stay in SF if you can. there's way more to do/explore. The nice hotels are mostly downtown/union square area. It's a short walk to BART for the Raiders, and it's a reasonable cab ride to the CAL Train station to see the Sharks.

You can drink on CAL Train, if you're in to that sorta thing btw . (it's an hour and a half to hour and 45 minute ride) The last train back to the city leaves 30 minutes after the end of the Sharks game. Train stop is a block (mostly parking lot) from the tank.

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:

The De Anza is an AWESOME choice. They have deals (I think it's weekends only) but it's a great place to stay. My wife took me there as a birthday surprise (10/17/2008 vs Flyers---BEST Regular Season game I've seen in person in a LONG time ). You may get tickets to the game with your room. Anyway if you have to stay afterwards that's where I would stay. The transportation idea with Caltran isn't a terrible idea. There are a lot of fans that travel that way.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
The De Anza is an AWESOME choice. They have deals (I think it's weekends only) but it's a great place to stay. My wife took me there as a birthday surprise (10/17/2008 vs Flyers---BEST Regular Season game I've seen in person in a LONG time ). You may get tickets to the game with your room. Anyway if you have to stay afterwards that's where I would stay. The transportation idea with Caltran isn't a terrible idea. There are a lot of fans that travel that way.
But when you are in Oakland it makes so much more sense to take BART to Fremont and then VTA bus from Fremont BART to SJ (to the same place where Caltrain comes right next to HP), at least IMHO. Bart to SF and then Caltrain seems to be going the long route.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
But when you are in Oakland it makes so much more sense to take BART to Fremont and then VTA bus from Fremont BART to SJ (to the same place where Caltrain comes right next to HP), at least IMHO. Bart to SF and then Caltrain seems to be going the long route.
Actually it makes more sense to rent a car. If you're 25, a compact isn't going to run you anything for a couple days. Really, it's not worth the hassle of the public transportation costs, limitations, etc.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:

you should come between the 20-24 of Jan when you goto the Fairmont. I guarantee you'll find yourself entertained in that hotel

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
True but this way he gets a complete tour of the Greater Bay Area I would prefer the less commuting but it's my me. I'd rather drive down but he probably doesn't want to

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

stay in sf, there's more to see (and eat) there than sj. like everyone else says caltrain goes from sf to sj no prob. if you do take a train from sf to the game, make sure you don't miss the train back north. i haven't even thought of the ways to get back to sf via public transportation if you are stuck in san jose after 10pm. living in san jose and going to san jose state the only thing cool visit i can think of is MLK library, one of the biggest, if not biggest libraries on the west coast.

Slurms McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:48 PM
MrCowGod15

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24956059&postcount=3

Despite what many people say, you actually CAN stay in SJ and still have a fun time.

MrCowGod15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Note, CalTrain's ability to take folks to SF after the game is not guaranteed with the rumored/possible night/weekend service cuts (going into effect in October). I have heard nothing from the Sharks requesting/protesting weeknight post-game train nor pre-/post-game weekend train(s).

You might have a better time staying in SJ for the night after Sharks game and traveling back to SF via CalTrain the following morning.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
you should come between the 20-24 of Jan when you goto the Fairmont. I guarantee you'll find yourself entertained in that hotel
I'm afraid I have a good idea what you're talking about. Yes, that would be.... Entertaining. lol

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
triplea112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowGod15 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24956059&postcount=3

Despite what many people say, you actually CAN stay in SJ and still have a fun time.
I'm gonna +1 this. In the end it depends what you wanna do aside from the two games. For example, did you want to try to catch a sharks practice and maybe get some autographs? Then you could easily stay in san jose and just get a zipcar for the raider game.

If the sharks game is the only thing you really want to do in san jose, then yeah stay in SF.

triplea112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
I'm afraid I have a good idea what you're talking about. Yes, that would be.... Entertaining. lol
I think the event scared a lot of Buffalo Sabres fans when it happened last year It looks like this year the poor victims is gonna be Minnisota.

I just hope I don't get pissed off again and see no home jerseys and tons of away jerseys again

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
lol3rdround

Hmm, operating out of SF and then spending the last night in SJ near the Tank would probably be the best.

lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol2ndround View Post
Hmm, operating out of SF and then spending the last night in SJ near the Tank would probably be the best.
If you come down early enough the day of the game you can check out the Tech Museum and grab some grub at the Brit with lots of Sharks fans before the game.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:50 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

I'm flying to San Francisco tomorrow!

Excited, hopefully I can find some Shark stuff for sale

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:30 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Note, CalTrain's ability to take folks to SF after the game is not guaranteed with the rumored/possible night/weekend service cuts (going into effect in October). I have heard nothing from the Sharks requesting/protesting weeknight post-game train nor pre-/post-game weekend train(s).

You might have a better time staying in SJ for the night after Sharks game and traveling back to SF via CalTrain the following morning.
Hence my repeated suggestion of bart to fremont and vta bus to SJ Diridon. No word about cutting that VTA bus route from Fremont BART to Diridon Station in SJ. I've used it for Sharks games. But yeah, renting a car is much easier but I assumed that was out based on the OP's post.