HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Willie Mitchell narrows it down to 4 teams-Sharks are one of them

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
And Sharks victories.
except for the two Sharks-Nucks games I went to in Vancouver while in college. No joke the only two regular season games the Sharks lost to them in like 3-4 years...

Old
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Calicool49

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Saw the Wild beat writer, Michael Russo, tweet this and is speculating a $1.5m base deal for 1 yr + bonuses (since WIllie is eligible for a bonus laden contract for being out > 100 days).

That would be sweet if he signs w/ the Sharks.

Caps could offer more but I have to think Willie would like staying on the West coast and in the WC.
I was originally dead set against signing a guy that is coming off of serious concussion concerns, however I am starting to think that picking up Mitchell at a reduced rate may be the way to go. If the Sharks could pick him up for $1.5-$2M on a 1-year deal with incentives, that would be a solid pickup if he is healthy.

The best thing about signing Mitchell is that the Sharks would not have to give up a pick or prospect to acquire him. Mitchell would certainly fill a top-4 role when he is healthy, and the Sharks could attempt to move either Doug Murray or Kent Huskins via a trade (although they would not be forced to).

With Mitchell, you could either pair him with Dan Boyle to create a balanced defensive pairing or you could pair him with Pickles for a shutdown pairing.

The biggest concern is if Mitchell is healthy enough to resume playing, and whether or not he will hold up during the course of the season since concussions are serious business. Signing Mitchell would certainly be a gamble by DW and the Sharks, but it could be one that pays off if Mitchell can return to health.

Old
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Saw the Wild beat writer, Michael Russo, tweet this and is speculating a $1.5m base deal for 1 yr + bonuses (since WIllie is eligible for a bonus laden contract for being out > 100 days).

That would be sweet if he signs w/ the Sharks.

Caps could offer more but I have to think Willie would like staying on the West coast and in the WC.
If true, then awesome. Assuming we're sending Huskins somewhere, with Mitchell's salary, we don't actually lose in salary and have our 3 mil still!

Maybe this is what will happen:

Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Willie Mitchell ($1.900m)
Sheldon Souray ($5.400m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Niclas Wallin ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
Jay Leach ($0.500m)

Last edited by Kitten Mittons: 08-05-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
sharked out hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
If true, then awesome. Assuming we're sending Huskins somewhere, with Mitchell's salary, we don't actually lose in salary and have our 3 mil still!

Jay Leach ($0.500m)
that would be a really nice looking top 6

Old
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
nbbyfan20

Come on Doug, make it happen! Sign him!

Old
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicool49 View Post
I was originally dead set against signing a guy that is coming off of serious concussion concerns, however I am starting to think that picking up Mitchell at a reduced rate may be the way to go. If the Sharks could pick him up for $1.5-$2M on a 1-year deal with incentives, that would be a solid pickup if he is healthy.

The best thing about signing Mitchell is that the Sharks would not have to give up a pick or prospect to acquire him. Mitchell would certainly fill a top-4 role when he is healthy, and the Sharks could attempt to move either Doug Murray or Kent Huskins via a trade (although they would not be forced to).

With Mitchell, you could either pair him with Dan Boyle to create a balanced defensive pairing or you could pair him with Pickles for a shutdown pairing.

The biggest concern is if Mitchell is healthy enough to resume playing, and whether or not he will hold up during the course of the season since concussions are serious business. Signing Mitchell would certainly be a gamble by DW and the Sharks, but it could be one that pays off if Mitchell can return to health.
I'm not holding out much hope for Willie Mitchell. Yeah, he's a good shutdown defenseman but unless you plan on shipping out Murray, it's not worth it. You can't give him bonuses because he's only 33. He's not much more mobile than Blake. Not enough to make a difference against a team like the Hawks were last year. If he decides to bolt from Vancouver, he's going to take full market value and that's going to be around 3 mil.

If the team plans to move Douglas Murray, I'm okay with it but this team needs another mobile puck-moving d-man that can run a power play. Do we really want to have Joe Pavelski on the point of the top unit for a whole season? He's good for spurts but he's not the solution.

Old
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not holding out much hope for Willie Mitchell. Yeah, he's a good shutdown defenseman but unless you plan on shipping out Murray, it's not worth it. You can't give him bonuses because he's only 33. He's not much more mobile than Blake. Not enough to make a difference against a team like the Hawks were last year. If he decides to bolt from Vancouver, he's going to take full market value and that's going to be around 3 mil.

If the team plans to move Douglas Murray, I'm okay with it but this team needs another mobile puck-moving d-man that can run a power play. Do we really want to have Joe Pavelski on the point of the top unit for a whole season? He's good for spurts but he's not the solution.
I believe he is actually eligible for bonus's because of his injuries. There was a long discussion about that somewhere and I believe that was the resulting decision.

I agree though, needs to be coupled with another move as well. I don't really want Souray with Mitchell as neither is fast, that's why i liked the Butler deal because Butler is quick.

Old
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

This thread makes me sad because it reminds me that we didn't get Hjalmarsson. Imagine:

Boyle-Mitchell (2)
Hjalmarsson (3.5)-Vlasic
Wallin-Demers

wouldn't have solved PP issues though... like at all.

Old
08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
This thread makes me sad because it reminds me that we didn't get Hjalmarsson. Imagine:

Boyle-Mitchell (2)
Hjalmarsson (3.5)-Vlasic
Wallin-Demers

wouldn't have solved PP issues though... like at all.
Boyle - Hamhuis
Vlasic - Hjalmarsson
Wallin - Demers

Old
08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
TheNeutral

Send a message via AIM to TheNeutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Boyle - Hamhuis
Vlasic - Hjalmarsson
Wallin - Demers

Boyle - Hamhuis
Vlasic - Hjalmarsson
Ehrhoff - Demers

Old
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
If the money works out on the last group...Damn...

Old
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I believe he is actually eligible for bonus's because of his injuries. There was a long discussion about that somewhere and I believe that was the resulting decision.

I agree though, needs to be coupled with another move as well. I don't really want Souray with Mitchell as neither is fast, that's why i liked the Butler deal because Butler is quick.
How likely though do you think that Willie Mitchell is going to sign a one year contract as a UFA at 33? If the Sharks are going to lure him here, they're not going to try to have him sign a one year deal. This is especially noting that there are two other teams besides Vancouver involved here.

Old
08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrace View Post
Boyle - Hamhuis
Vlasic - Hjalmarsson
Ehrhoff - Demers

That defense costs too much though. We need to assume Heatley never happened and Cheech was waived.

But I would give up my left kidney for this beauty.

Old
08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by embrace View Post
Boyle - Hamhuis
Vlasic - Hjalmarsson
Ehrhoff - Demers

That's like 30 million bucks, lol

Old
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Got Mullet

Quote:
How likely though do you think that Willie Mitchell is going to sign a one year contract as a UFA at 33? If the Sharks are going to lure him here, they're not going to try to have him sign a one year deal. This is especially noting that there are two other teams besides Vancouver involved here.
If he signs a one year contract with bonuses this year he will still be able to sign his next contract before he reaches the 35+ stage of his career. It could give him a chance to prove his health. The thinking might be that he could make more money going with a one year contract first then a multi year deal rather than a multi year deal right after coming off major injury.

Old
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Mullet View Post
If he signs a one year contract with bonuses this year he will still be able to sign his next contract before he reaches the 35+ stage of his career. It could give him a chance to prove his health. The thinking might be that he could make more money going with a one year contract first then a multi year deal rather than a multi year deal right after coming off major injury.
I think he can get the same payday now that he can get next year playing one season wherever. I just doubt that on the free agent market the new clubs are offering one year contracts at this point. I think he can get a 3 mil contract right now. One season wherever isn't going to change that, I don't think. People know what they're getting into with Willie Mitchell.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Got Mullet

Quote:
I think he can get the same payday now that he can get next year playing one season wherever. I just doubt that on the free agent market the new clubs are offering one year contracts at this point. I think he can get a 3 mil contract right now. One season wherever isn't going to change that, I don't think. People know what they're getting into with Willie Mitchell.
I see your point and you could very well be correct. I'm just under the opinion that having a healthy year under his belt (70+ games and PO's) would have a fair impact on what he could command for is next contract. Going from the 2.5 - 3.0m range to 3.5 - 4.0m.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Minicoop831

Mitchell seems to be our best option, without having to loss anyone. DW should hurry up an sign him!

Old
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Mullet View Post
I see your point and you could very well be correct. I'm just under the opinion that having a healthy year under his belt (70+ games and PO's) would have a fair impact on what he could command for is next contract. Going from the 2.5 - 3.0m range to 3.5 - 4.0m.
I don't simply because this is the first time in seven years that he's had a serious injury. I don't think teams that are interested in his services are going to let one instance scare them off at this point. And if they want him, they will pay the UFA premium to get him. Also, he got his 4 year, 14 mil contract when he was in his prime and considered one of the elite shutdown defensemen available.

I just don't think that the jump will be substantial from this year to next year. I also don't think one concussion will sway teams' opinions of him at this stage.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Tw1ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
except for the two Sharks-Nucks games I went to in Vancouver while in college. No joke the only two regular season games the Sharks lost to them in like 3-4 years...
That happened to me too. I went in March 09...they lost, then they won every one up until the second one played in Van this year I believe and I was at that one. I've went to one three years straight and have yet to see the Sharks win

Old
08-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Don't worry guys we're trading Heatley and Huskins for Chara with an extension.

And then I woke up.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:

Jay Leach ($0.500m)
So you want 4 of our 7 D to be UFA's next year? Mitchell, Souray, Wallin, and Leach. At least 2 of whom should not be back (Leach and Wallin), and 2 of whom are one more concussion away from probably retirement? And both of those guys are into the 30+ range? And for that wonderful state of affairs you want to give up Murray?

Which means DW gets to start his year with Boyle and Vlasic as his starting point. And hopefully Demers lives up to his contract and is ready for a bigger role next year.

You like to take massive gambles that have a high chance of blowing up in your face, don't you?

Old
08-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
So you want 4 of our 7 D to be UFA's next year? Mitchell, Souray, Wallin, and Leach. At least 2 of whom should not be back (Leach and Wallin), and 2 of whom are one more concussion away from probably retirement? And both of those guys are into the 30+ range? And for that wonderful state of affairs you want to give up Murray?

Which means DW gets to start his year with Boyle and Vlasic as his starting point. And hopefully Demers lives up to his contract and is ready for a bigger role next year.

You like to take massive gambles that have a high chance of blowing up in your face, don't you?
Reading Comprehension 101.

Did you see me write "this is what I want to happen" or "maybe this is what will happen"? At this point, I want nothing to happen, especially through trade, because I don't believe it will be enough. So I am just waiting for 11/12 for some big signings.

Oh and FYI, Souray is not UFA next season.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post

Souray is signed for 2 more seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised for the Sharks in order to sign Mitchell sign him for 2 years.

Who cares about Leach and Wallin being UFAs. That's a positive.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Oh and FYI, Souray is not UFA next season.
And that only makes it worse.

Closed Thread