HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Willie Mitchell narrows it down to 4 teams-Sharks are one of them

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Reading Comprehension 101.

Did you see me write "this is what I want to happen" or "maybe this is what will happen"? At this point, I want nothing to happen, especially through trade, because I don't believe it will be enough. So I am just waiting for 11/12 for some big signings.

Oh and FYI, Souray is not UFA next season.
DW is going to do something. He's not the kind of guy to write off a season, he never has, and he's certainly not going to this year. He knows if he goes into the season with the D he has, that is exactly what he's doing.

He signed Niitty with the intention of getting Hamhius, or volchenkov, Michalek, etc, and it blew up in his face because no one wanted to come here. Then he did something he's never done before and sent out an offer sheet. Now he's trying to sign an injury prone vet with Mitchell, if he doesn't get that, who knows what's next.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Souray is signed for 2 more seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised for the Sharks in order to sign Mitchell sign him for 2 years.

Who cares about Leach and Wallin being UFAs. That's a positive.
Leach and Wallin AND Huskins will all be UFA's next year, which I agree is good. But making your D corp even older and slower does not help things. Having 2 guys you are paying big dollars to being 1 good hit away from missing the rest of the season or the rest of their careers is not good.

Getting Souray would be another DW retarded train wreck. No matter what he gave up for him. Heck, taking him for free would be a train wreck. Mitchell is a good guy when healthy, but he's not fast, he's only moderately mobile, and as I said, he's one hit away from losing an entire season. The only way I want Mitchell on this team is if he signs a 1-year, $1 mil contract, with bonuses that don't take it higher than $2.5. And even then, I'd rather not have him at all.

There will be other players available who meet the Sharks needs without taking unnecessarily retarded moves, and both Souray and Mitchell fit the category of retarded moves. Given that this is DW, and he's already made one retarded move (Wallin), I fully expect at least one more this offseason (probably the trade of Vlasic for Kaberle). But I hope it not either of those 2.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:42 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
DW is going to do something. He's not the kind of guy to write off a season, he never has, and he's certainly not going to this year. He knows if he goes into the season with the D he has, that is exactly what he's doing.

He signed Niitty with the intention of getting Hamhius, or volchenkov, Michalek, etc, and it blew up in his face because no one wanted to come here. Then he did something he's never done before and sent out an offer sheet. Now he's trying to sign an injury prone vet with Mitchell, if he doesn't get that, who knows what's next.
Which is obviously Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty to the Sharks for Huskins, Mitchell, Wallin, and Heatley.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Vaasa

Quote:

If he has half a brain, he'll know that's not true. Going into the post-Christmas part of the season with D will make things a massive struggle, but it's not writing it off. Going into the start of this season with this D means nothing.

Old
08-06-2010, 01:02 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
If he has half a brain, he'll know that's not true. Going into the post-Christmas part of the season with D will make things a massive struggle, but it's not writing it off. Going into the start of this season with this D means nothing.
I didnt say anything about when he'd do it, just that he would. I've said before it simply needs to happen within a few months of the start of the season.

Otherwise you risk not having enough time to build chemistry and fully indoctrinate the new players. Plus in this case, you risk destroying your goalies confidence as they are shelled into oblivion with the D you put in front of them.

Old
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Vaasa

Quote:
I didnt say anything about when he'd do it, just that he would. I've said before it simply needs to happen within a few months of the start of the season.

Otherwise you risk not having enough time to build chemistry and fully indoctrinate the new players. Plus in this case, you risk destroying your goalies confidence as they are shelled into oblivion with the D you put in front of them.
That's different than what you said above. And I agree with you. I figure he needs to have made his moves no later than New Years. Preferably before the Christmas freeze. But at this point he can afford to wait through mid-November at least to see what he has. To see how camp goes and if any of the youngsters can earn and keep a spot. And to see what happens with other teams where it's entirely possible that a decent player will become available for a team that has a roster spot and cap space. That's how DW lost Ehrhoff for crap. It would be nice to be on the other side of that deal for once.

So the sky is not falling (not saying you said this). There is no need to rush. It's August and we have months to go before moves HAVE to be made.

Old
08-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
And that only makes it worse.
I'm still waiting for an apology.

Quote:

I know that. At this point the only feasible solutions are Mitchell and Kaberle and neither are long-term solutions. Doug did miss out on some good defenders. The question is - would you want Hamhuis @ 5mil / Hjalmarsson @ 4.5?

Old
08-06-2010, 02:24 AM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Leach and Wallin AND Huskins will all be UFA's next year, which I agree is good. But making your D corp even older and slower does not help things. Having 2 guys you are paying big dollars to being 1 good hit away from missing the rest of the season or the rest of their careers is not good.

Getting Souray would be another DW retarded train wreck. No matter what he gave up for him. Heck, taking him for free would be a train wreck. Mitchell is a good guy when healthy, but he's not fast, he's only moderately mobile, and as I said, he's one hit away from losing an entire season. The only way I want Mitchell on this team is if he signs a 1-year, $1 mil contract, with bonuses that don't take it higher than $2.5. And even then, I'd rather not have him at all.

There will be other players available who meet the Sharks needs without taking unnecessarily retarded moves, and both Souray and Mitchell fit the category of retarded moves. Given that this is DW, and he's already made one retarded move (Wallin), I fully expect at least one more this offseason (probably the trade of Vlasic for Kaberle). But I hope it not either of those 2.
you think he will trade Vlasic for Kaberle?

btw do you still think the move for Boyle was a bad one?

Old
08-06-2010, 02:25 AM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
I'm still waiting for an apology.

I know that. At this point the only feasible solutions are Mitchell and Kaberle and neither are long-term solutions. Doug did miss out on some good defenders. The question is - would you want Hamhuis @ 5mil / Hjalmarsson @ 4.5?
id take Hammer at 4 but thats the highest id go.

Old
08-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
id take Hammer at 4 but thats the highest id go.
Exactly. That's the highest Bowman would go as well.

Since apparently Heatley is the only one wanting to play here, you have to massively overpay. Overpay Hammer by 2 million (he's worth 2.5) so Chicago won't match; or overpay Hamhuis 1.5 million (he's worth 3.5), while breaking your "4 year contracts only" rule and giving NTC at the same time (4.5 6yr NTC contract at VAN).

Old
08-06-2010, 04:31 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
That's different than what you said above. And I agree with you. I figure he needs to have made his moves no later than New Years. Preferably before the Christmas freeze. But at this point he can afford to wait through mid-November at least to see what he has. To see how camp goes and if any of the youngsters can earn and keep a spot. And to see what happens with other teams where it's entirely possible that a decent player will become available for a team that has a roster spot and cap space. That's how DW lost Ehrhoff for crap. It would be nice to be on the other side of that deal for once.

So the sky is not falling (not saying you said this). There is no need to rush. It's August and we have months to go before moves HAVE to be made.
I actually agree with this. DW has time to wait. However, the longer he waits the more expensive some players will be....as other options vanish GMs are willing to pay more and more for whatever is left.

However, I do think that it is very unlikely that any young defenseman makes the top-4 outside of Demers. The rest just lack the experience, and there is no one like Hannan on the second-pairing who can anchor a skilled-but-inexperienced youngster. At best, one of the younger guys could take Murray's spot with Boyle...

Vlasic needs to step up his game. He showed so much promise at 19; he hasn't fulfilled a lot of it. Look at other players who entered the league at the same time; many are now all-stars...

Old
08-06-2010, 04:37 AM
viewer3511

vancouver is stacked on dmen so mitchell probably wont return there.
detroit has a pretty solid 6 and are against the cab so thats not looking good.
washington could use a dman.
so i'd say its between us and washington

Old
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer3511 View Post
vancouver is stacked on dmen so mitchell probably wont return there.
detroit has a pretty solid 6 and are against the cab so thats not looking good.
washington could use a dman.
so i'd say its between us and washington
Is that like the Cash Cab? Yeah I'm pretty sure it is!

Old
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
icandobetter

Wait! all of the sudden nobody wants to play here in San Jose?? I don't get it? I thought SJ is the place to be in the west.

Old
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
Is that like the Cash Cab? Yeah I'm pretty sure it is!
It's the Salary Cab. I'm quite sure Patrick Kane can elaborate.

Old
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandobetter View Post
Wait! all of the sudden nobody wants to play here in San Jose?? I don't get it? I thought SJ is the place to be in the west.
Once players spend time here they love it. But due to airport issues, where players have their home before signing here, and travel times it is hard to get players to come here. Once they are here sure they stay but to get them here in the first place is the problem.

Old
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
Once players spend time here they love it. But due to airport issues, where players have their home before signing here, and travel times it is hard to get players to come here. Once they are here sure they stay but to get them here in the first place is the problem.
Everyone except for Brian Campbell. But it's okay because he has no soul anyway.

Old
08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Everyone except for Brian Campbell. But it's okay because he has no soul anyway.
One might say he merely has 7,142,875 pieces of soul, not all put together as one.

Old
08-06-2010, 04:22 PM
TheBrokenRib

If Willie likes good fishing, he'll stay in B.C. That will be the deal breaker.

Old
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
But if we tell him he can put a fish on his jersey.... maybe...

Old
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
rmconc

Quote:
Uhhh... Ever heard of the delta? There is some of the best bass fishing in the Western US right here! You may have a point if speaking strictly of deep sea fishing but come on...

Quote:
& Eddie the Weasil. Actually I didn't blame Campbell at all as he NEVER ONCE said he would stay after we traded for him. Not to mention that one reason Buffalo traded him was because he was rumored to want to play closer to home (& SJ is definately NOT closer to his home!) Not to mention CHI gave him an absolutely insane contract that he would have to be a fool not to sign. Eddie Belfour...

Old
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
They have great whites in BC? Now that's real man fishin' ...

Old
08-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
you think he will trade Vlasic for Kaberle?

btw do you still think the move for Boyle was a bad one?
I don't actually think he will trade Vlasic for Kaberle, but it is the sort of retarded move I would expect him to make. Honestly, I expect something more along the lines of Clowe for Souray, straight up. Or Clowe+our 2011 1st+Petrecki for Kaberle. Basically, I expect another horrifically bad trade.

As for Boyle, I said at the time it would take at least 3 years to have a pretty good assessment of the deal, but I'm still leaning to it being a bad move. It hasn't been 3 years yet, but some of things I expected have come true:

- Carle got much better defensively, and is now significantly better than Boyle at the defensive side the game. Carle is closer now to a 2-way player, and not nearly as one-dimensional. And he's really starting to show the hockey sense and intelligence that made him a Hobey Baker winner.

- Bringing Boyle in definitely made it more difficult to keep the good young defense. I attribute the loss of Ehrhoff at least in part to Boyle's presence. Ehrhoff and Carle last year combined outscored Boyle by more than 20 points, while costing pretty much the same in salary.

- Boyle is still a one-dimensional player, and despite his offensive gifts, I don't really see that he's had a huge impact on the team. I see nothing that he has brought that a combo of Carle and Ehrhoff would not have brought. He improved the Sharks ability to get the puck skated up the ice, but with the loss of Ehrhoff, it's right back to where it was before (only one d-man who can do it).

- Boyle was supposed to significantly improve our PP, but I haven't seen it yet. Ehrhoff and Boyle had the same number of PP goals last year. Boyle did have 6 more PP assists, but he also had 85 full minutes more on the PP than Ehrhoff in which to get them.

- The 1st is hard to pick, as I'm not sure I have any idea how good Palmieri is going to be.

- It's hard to tell on Wishart. If he totally pans, the Boyle deal becomes better (but still not good IMO). If he steps up this year and plays well, the Boyle deal continues to be bad IMO.

At this point, I would still prefer to have Carle and that $3+ mil in cap space over Boyle.

So, in summary, my current judgment is still that the Boyle deal was a bad one. With the caveat that my initial 3 years for the assessment isn't up yet. But honestly, I don't expect it change.

Old
08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Kitten Mittons

Chris Pronger can make Alexei Semenov look like Bobby Orr.

Old
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Chris Pronger can make Alexei Semenov look like Bobby Orr.
And Joe Thornton can make anyone a Rocket Richard winner.

Closed Thread