HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Bertilsson

Old
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Simon Bertilsson

So I have been reading a lot about Bertilsson and how well he's developing. Meltzer last week I think had a nice write up on him. He sounds like he's going to be a very good D man for the Flyers. One scout said he was a steal and could be like Hjalmarsson. I know Phoenix has the rights of his buddy and partner from the National Team Ekman Larsson and signed him in May of this year. The two of them were on the top pairing for a good while and complimented each other. Larsson was the one pinching on offense with Bertilsson covering. I wonder if the Flyers could trade Carle for the guy and if Phoenix would do it? Having Bertilsson and Larsson would bode well for the future and help with the cap given their upsides. Obviously, Pronger and Timonen have a couple of years of effective play left barring any injuries.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 08-17-2010 at 12:46 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Ekman-larsson Wowed Staff At Prospect Development Camp

Nevermind about Larsson based on this article......

Forgot Michalek went to Pitt and they need a replacement but at least Carle is more seasoned and could help Phoenix just as much while we unload his contract and gain some space for a real goalie!

Larsson and Bertilsson could be the next McCrimmon and Howe ...how sweet would that be.

Quote:
GLENDALE -- Of the 22 prospects who took part in this years Coyotes Prospect Development Camp, none impressed the management staff more than defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

The young Swede, whom the Coyotes selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, wowed even casual observers with his superior skating and puck skills, and his overall presence on the ice.

You can tell hes a very intelligent player that has a great deal of poise out there with the puck and without the puck," Coyotes Head Coach Dave Tippett said after watching Ekman-Larsson on Monday at Polar Ice in Peoria. "Hes certainly an interesting player.

With Zbynek Michalek having departed the Coyotes earlier this month for Pittsburgh via free agency, there is an opening on the depth chart for a defenseman. Thus, Ekman-Larsson will get a long look at training camp in September.

And hes ready for it.

I want to play in the NHL next year, Ekman-Larsson said Monday. Thats why I am here now. I will try to take a (roster) spot in September.

Between now and then, Ekman-Larsson will continue to train on the ice, in a gym and on a bike. He said hed like to improve all aspects of his game before camp starts.

Ekman-Larrson, who will turn 19 on Saturday, played the past two seasons for Leksand IF, a club in Sweden's second-highest professional league. In 81 games, he notched 12 goals and 32 assists. Should he not make the Coyotes at the start of the season, he would return to Sweden for the 2010-11 season and play in that countrys elite league.

My two seasons in Leksand have helped me a lot, Ekman-Larsson said. The guys there are bigger and stronger so it was good for me to be there.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534337

Old
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
You're never going to pry OEL from the Coyotes, especially not with Matt Carle. People were saying he would be better than Hedman if you gave him enough time, and he has been turning heads at the World Championships, WJC, and basically everywhere. He's a future stud defenseman that, if you ask me, is better than Pietrangelo. So no, Oliver Ekman Larsson will not be a Flyer.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
You're never going to pry OEL from the Coyotes, especially not with Matt Carle. People were saying he would be better than Hedman if you gave him enough time, and he has been turning heads at the World Championships, WJC, and basically everywhere. He's a future stud defenseman that, if you ask me, is better than Pietrangelo. So no, Oliver Ekman Larsson will not be a Flyer.
Yeah unlikely but the prospect of him being a Flyers paired with Bertilsson in the future would be great. You would have a top pairing for the future with Erikson as the goalie if he can be better than Bobrovsky. We would have My 3 Sons.....

I hate to say this and probably going to get attacked but maybe Carle and our number 1 in 2011? You know Holmgren is going to give it up anyway....

Old
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yeah unlikely but the prospect of him being a Flyers paired with Bertilsson in the future would be great. You would have a top pairing for the future with Erikson as the goalie if he can be better than Bobrovsky. We would have My 3 Sons.....

I hate to say this and probably going to get attacked but maybe Carle and our number 1 in 2011? You know Holmgren is going to give it up anyway....
Honestly, Phoneix scoffs at that offer.... and I think I am the biggest Carle fan here, haha.

OEL may literally be untouchable. If you wanna reunite him with Bertilsson it will have to be us moving him to Phoneix. Maybe we can get Uppy back?!?!?!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If you wanna reunite him with Bertilsson it will have to be us moving him to Phoneix. Maybe we can get Uppy back?!?!?!
Oh no I would hope the Flyers would scoff at that. I like Uppy but now it's time to put that whole transaction to bed. Bertilsson better not be traded. When is the last time the Flyers actually developed a decent D man of their own..Therien? I know we now have some good potential developing on the backend and Bertilsson definitely sounds like one of them.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:18 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Oh no I would hope the Flyers would scoff at that. I like Uppy but now it's time to put that whole transaction to bed. Bertilsson better not be traded. When is the last time the Flyers actually developed a decent D man of their own..Therien? I know we now have some good potential developing on the backend and Bertilsson definitely sounds like one of them.
That last comment was tongue in cheek.

I think you may be overrating Bertilsson a tiny bit, though. At the moment I see him as 4th on our defensive prospect depth chart behind Marshall, Bodrov and Lehtivuori. His ceiling MAY be slightly higher, though, so I guess we will see.

Odds are all 4 of them don't play 100 NHL games combined in their careers, though.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

I think you may be overrating Bertilsson a tiny bit, though. At the moment I see him as 4th on our defensive prospect depth chart behind Marshall, Bodrov and Lehtivuori. His ceiling MAY be slightly higher, though, so I guess we will see.

Odds are all 4 of them don't play 100 NHL games combined in their careers, though.
Bertilsson is right up there with Marshall, Bourdon and Lehtivuori. There was a reason most scouts had him rated as a late first/early second round pick. He only slipped due to injury. A good comparison for who Bertilsson might turn out to be like is Mattias Ohlund. He's not as big as Ohlund, but his game is very similar to Ohlund's. I've read comparisons to Kronwall, but Kronwall might be a bit of better skater and a far better checker.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Maybe overrating him a bit but certainly comparing him to Bodrov is an injustice considering how he regressed and is heading back to Russia. I mean everything I'm reading of late has been pretty encouraging. Lehtivouri I hear is good as well but Bertilsson def has a higher ceiling. Marshall seems still enigmatic to me I can't get a read on how he's developing.

Here is a small piece about Bertilsson

Quote:
Bertilsson was also considered one of the best players not only on team Sweden, but in the whole tournament. Only Adam Larsson, the possible 1st overall draft pick in 2011, was thought to have played at Bertilsson's level.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...sson-excels-at

Old
08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Maybe overrating him a bit but certainly comparing him to Bodrov is an injustice considering how he regressed and is heading back to Russia. I mean everything I'm reading of late has been pretty encouraging. Lehtivouri I hear is good as well but Bertilsson def has a higher ceiling. Marshall seems still enigmatic to me I can't get a read on how he's developing.

Here is a small piece about Bertilsson
Freudian slip, I meant Bourdon, not Bodrov.

I also mentioned he may have a higher ceiling, but depth charts are not based on ceilings. There have been a million players with high ceilings... that never become anything, I would rather rank a player who is further along in their progression over a player who has better "potential".

Old
08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

I also mentioned he may have a higher ceiling, but depth charts are not based on ceilings. There have been a million players with high ceilings... that never become anything, I would rather rank a player who is further along in their progression over a player who has better "potential".
The other thing to remember too is that Idiot Stick in Adirondack hasn't sunk his claws into Bertilsson yet, so that's something that's working in his favour. Those poor four defensemen down in Adirondack. They did nothing wrong to deserve Idiot Stick being their coach.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Yes and no....Bertilsson's potential is not something to dismiss given how he's faring in an elite league in international play. I guess we shall see if he jumps over some of the other prospects on the depth chart.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I think this will be a big year for Bertilsson, and people will be talking about him in the same sentence with Marshall.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Um, Larsson is a top 5 defensive prospect .. We're not going to get him.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I was wondering about this guy, and yet look how far down he is on the prospect thing in our forum. It's funny just how little people know about europe

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:44 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I was wondering about this guy, and yet look how far down he is on the prospect thing in our forum. It's funny just how little people know about europe
Like I said in that thread, European leagues = the death of hype for most NA hockey fans. I don't think most of us (myself included) even understand the true level of competition of those leagues. It is probably mostly due to the fact that very few people can watch them, even in juniors we have a ton of Canadian posters updating us about players and feeding the hype.

Maybe as a European you should start feeding us hype about the Swedish leagues to keep us interested in these types of prospects.

Old
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Maybe as a European you should start feeding us hype about the Swedish leagues to keep us interested in these types of prospects.
We get the same information that you do in the states. Hockey just isn't a main stream sport here. It's a pain in the ass to get to watch the NHL. Thank god for streamers

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Biggest thing Bertilsson has to prove is that he can rebound after having an injury-plagued season.

No reason to hype him now. We'll go from there and see what he can do with a full SEL season/WJCs.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Biggest thing Bertilsson has to prove is that he can rebound after having an injury-plagued season.

No reason to hype him now. We'll go from there and see what he can do with a full SEL season/WJCs.
IMO he is the best of the bunch. If he stays healthy he will be an nhl player. Cant say that about the other prospects. The hype around Marshal, bourdon, and Lehtvourri is not warranted imo. Bourdon will never see the nhl as a regular player or even as 7th dman. Marshall has chnave to be a bottom pairing dman. The finn will also not be an nhl regular, a 6th at best more liekly cup of coffe type career. That is if he sticks it out in NA. If they could trade any of them and get 3rd rd pick or forward prospect who has fallen out of favor(legion), i would do it in a second.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
IMO he is the best of the bunch. If he stays healthy he will be an nhl player. Cant say that about the other prospects. The hype around Marshal, bourdon, and Lehtvourri is not warranted imo. Bourdon will never see the nhl as a regular player or even as 7th dman. Marshall has chnave to be a bottom pairing dman. The finn will also not be an nhl regular, a 6th at best more liekly cup of coffe type career. That is if he sticks it out in NA. If they could trade any of them and get 3rd rd pick or forward prospect who has fallen out of favor(legion), i would do it in a second.
All those players you're tossing out so carelessly are all far more proven than Bertilsson and many have more talent.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
All those players you're tossing out so carelessly are all far more proven than Bertilsson and many have more talent.
Maybe, talent doesnt always = success or making it to the nhl. What exactly have they proven? That they can struggle in the ahl, though the finn i wouldnt say struggled compared to the other two. They really havent proven much at all really. We shall see. It is my opinion at least 1 of them will be moved this year and the other 2 will fade into obscurity much like many other hyped up dman the flyers have tried to develop over the years. Marshall as i said has the best shot imo to be an nhl regular as a bottom pairing.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The amount of laptop scouts this site has is becoming comical. I love when people make predictions about 19-20 year old European prospects based on YouTube clips and preseason camp and then declare them as if they are fact.

When it comes to this place, all you need is one person to write something about a prospect for people to jump on board. Use nice grammar, punctuation and throw in cliche terms like "(insert prospect here) is a poor man's (insert top line NHL veteran here)" and people automatically jump on and act like the guys is going to be a legit star/sleeper and they knew it before everyone else. They then need to continue acting like they are original thinkers by taking a guy that other people are high on and call them overrated for no reason other than acting like they are smarter than everyone else.

Let's just roll with opinions and save the actual scouting for you know, the scouts and couches because in all reality if one of these guys rolled up to your local park to play some roller you wouldn't know his face enough to pick him for your team.

/rant

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 08-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:17 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The amount of laptop scouts this site has is becoming comical. I love when people make predictions about 19-20 year old European prospects based on YouTube clips and preseason camp and then declare them as if they are fact.

When it comes to this place, all you need is one person to write something about a prospect for people to jump on board. Use nice grammar, punctuation and throw in cliche terms like "(insert prospect here) is a poor man's (insert top line NHL veteran here)" and people automatically jump on and act like the guys is going to be a legit star and they knew it before everyone else. They then need to continue acting like they are original thinkers by taking a guy that other people are high on and call them overrated for no reason other than acting like they are smarter than everyone else.

Let's just roll with opinions and save the actual scouting for you know, the scouts and couches because in all reality if one of these guys rolled up to your local park to play some roller you wouldn't know his face enough to pick him for your team.

/rant
Get out of my head!

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Garbage Goal

I think Marshall, Bertilsson, and Lehtivouri all have good shots at being legit NHL d-men. Marshall more-so then the others. It's just that none of the three really have 1st pairing potential.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post

When it comes to this place, all you need is one person to write something about a prospect for people to jump on board. Use nice grammar, punctuation and throw in cliche terms like "(insert prospect here) is a poor man's (insert top line NHL veteran here)" and people automatically jump on and act like the guys is going to be a legit star/sleeper and they knew it before everyone else. They then need to continue acting like they are original thinkers by taking a guy that other people are high on and call them overrated for no reason other than acting like they are smarter than everyone else.

/rant
You mean like this? Whatever man..that's why it's a forum.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...3#post27229823