HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Jamal Mayers, 1 year/$600k

Old
08-03-2010, 07:24 PM
KzooShark

vCash: 500
Screw all of you haters. As a Western Michigan grad (and hockey fan), any day where a Bronco (Meyers) takes a Wolverine's job (Ortmeyer) is a good day. In fact, I should get his jersey.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
who's to say it's Mayers over McLaren? Who's to say it's not Mayers to rotate with MacIntyre?
i simply don't understand the pick up. what does he bring over the other guys? why waste the 600k? if it is one way, like I am currently assuming, i just don't get why we would put ourselves 600k closer to the cap without adding anything that's really an improvement.

my comparison would be adding a guy like Nichol/Malhotra for 750 (I know manny took a discount). The point is in such a salary cap driven sport you need to treat that cap space like a precious resource. Wallin for 2.5 and Mayers for 600 is a completely wasted 3.1 in my mind at this point.

hopefully the season proves me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, but one thing Mayers has going for him is he actually can skate. The guy's pretty damn fast. That's about all he's got going for him though
let's hope he still has some of those wheels...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
i simply don't understand the pick up. what does he bring over the other guys? why waste the 600k? if it is one way, like I am currently assuming, i just don't get why we would put ourselves 600k closer to the cap without adding anything that's really an improvement.
600k (Mayers)-760k (Nichol)-600k (MacIntyre)
543k (McLaren)

If anything, he's saving 250k by keeping Ferriero in Worcester.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
AKM83
Chomp. Chomp.

At 600k I'm fine with this signing. Hopefully, he's re-energized by being on a winning team and brings it this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post

my comparison would be adding a guy like Nichol/Malhotra for 750 (I know manny took a discount). The point is in such a salary cap driven sport you need to treat that cap space like a precious resource. Wallin for 2.5 and Mayers for 600 is a completely wasted 3.1 in my mind at this point.

hopefully the season proves me wrong.
I think having another veteran presence in our bottom 6 besides Nichol is a good thing. I'm sure he won't be playing a full slate of 82 games so there should be enough opportunities for a few of the youngsters like McLaren/MacIntyre and maybe Mashinter/Zalewski.

Last edited by AKM83: 08-03-2010 at 07:52 PM.
AKM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
That is a made up quote, right?
Yeah. here's the real one:

“Jamal is a fast, physical, team-first player who brings the ingredients we were looking for to this role,” said Sharks Executive Vice President Doug Wilson. “He is an extremely fit athlete who can kill penalties and we think he will mesh well with our group of forwards.”

I like Jpavs better, tho.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
Yeah. here's the real one:

“Jamal is a fast, physical, team-first player who brings the ingredients we were looking for to this role,” said Sharks Executive Vice President Doug Wilson. “He is an extremely fit athlete who can kill penalties and we think he will mesh well with our group of forwards.”

I like Jpavs better, tho.
It sounds more like something DW would say too...

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Tealblood

maybe this means mitchell's soon to be gone?

mcginn-couture-ferriero
mclaren-nichol-mayers

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
maybe this means mitchell's soon to be gone?

mcginn-couture-ferriero
mclaren-nichol-mayers
Here Here! Make it happen DW.

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:21 PM
StreetSharks
Stay Frosty

As someone who lives in Ontario and saw him playing with the leafs (alot of friends are leafies)

Horrible Signing, there are much better players out there that could do what he does, better.

Hell, even Buster.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Sharksfan83

Not a bad signing, I'd rather Park for 800k. We really need to add a PK'er or two, to lighten the load on Marleau and Pavelski

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Tealblood

It's easy to criticize this, but maybe asham and park don't want to come west? Maybe they weren't this cheap?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Calicool49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
600k (Mayers)-760k (Nichol)-600k (MacIntyre)
543k (McLaren)

If anything, he's saving 250k by keeping Ferriero in Worcester.
Actually the savings is only like $35,000 by having Mayers contract instead of Ferriero. $215k of Ferriero's $850,000 salary is a rookie bonus and does not affect the Sharks cap, at least according to Capgeek. Teams can factor in the "bonus cushion" when coming up with the cap number.

I also would have preferred Arron Asham over Jamal Mayers, however I wouldn't have paid anything over $1 million for his services. Mayers can bring some much needed toughness to the team, and hopefully he will fit in nicely with Nichol.

Calicool49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
It's easy to criticize this, but maybe asham and park don't want to come west? Maybe they weren't this cheap?
I'm still hoping for Belanger...

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicool49 View Post
Actually the savings is only like $35,000 by having Mayers contract instead of Ferriero. $215k of Ferriero's $850,000 salary is a rookie bonus and does not affect the Sharks cap, at least according to Capgeek. Teams can factor in the "bonus cushion" when coming up with the cap number.

I also would have preferred Arron Asham over Jamal Mayers, however I wouldn't have paid anything over $1 million for his services. Mayers can bring some much needed toughness to the team, and hopefully he will fit in nicely with Nichol.
I'm still under the impression that ferriero replaces mitchell(that's where you find the savings) and then this just rounds out our 4th line with some grit and pk ability(yet to be seen how great he is on that).

There are always guys we'd rather have, and we'll never know why we didn't get that certain person. It usually just has to do with us not being on that players list of places he wants to live, especially east coast guys.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

My sister and two nephews are in town. Feed the boys my (in)famous spaghetti sauce, head out to watch Inception, and then to aunt and uncle's for dinner (where my cousin, his wife, and kids joined us, along with my parents). And this happens. Surprised nobody posted the links yet.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...d=TWT|SJS|home
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...nclick_check=1

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
This was DW's big free agent signing he was hinting to all this time. **** Willie Mitchell or any other useful dman we got Jamal Mother****ing Mayers son!
word yo!!!

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
sjshark91

What sense does this make?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, but one thing Mayers has going for him is he actually can skate. The guy's pretty damn fast. That's about all he's got going for him though
That's for sure H.B. I distinctly remember him getting ripped by media and fans over here last season (of course teammates will keep hush but you know it had to bother them) when, similar to Heater but on a vastly smaller level, he whined how he wanted to be moved due to being givin limited playtime by Ron Wilson and/or getting benched to the press box. He would even be sarcastic to fan reaction of his 'requests'. So yes, we have one of these type again rather than the likes of an Asham or Nolan etc, that would actually have been a progressive move. Just more wasted dollars for pretty much a scrapper when; A) we already have Mclaren whom can play that role and as well, give us a little extra, and B) Especially when we need something on the D.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 08-03-2010 at 11:59 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Minicoop831

Dammit DW, I wish you would have gotten a guy like asham

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Hertl Power

Depth signing for some veteren presence. Insurance if the Worcester kids aren't ready yet. Hopefully he gets passed on the depth chart and we can trade him for a 5th round pick at the trade deadline.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:58 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Vancouver is in the west, colder, and they have the most miles in team travel (on road trips) out of the entire league. sadly, this is not an excuse for failing to sign asham.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Kitten Mittons

Doesn't anyone else find it weird that this thread is more popular than the one about Setoguchi signing? Priorities, guys.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

i agree with the intention of bringing grit and veteran presence to the 3rd/4th lines and the added PK minutes that he could bring, but it seems like people have mixed reviews when it comes to his performance.

its seems that he can be an upgrade from ortmeyer, who had his illness and double hernia problems, but as a guy who has had little success at his age seems somewhat uneasy.

it also seems he can bring in some points, 17 in 70+ games, which is always a plus. Its going to be interesting seeing how he transitions from a team he seemed to not care about to a contending team.

AND David i agree with you, seto is my favorite player and i was suprised to see that there was not much commotion. I guess people were just more relieved to see him back on the team and not shocked by a out of the blue signing like this one.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Hertl Power

There wasn't as much talk about seto because it was a weekend signing. Also it was expected and not out of left field.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
fxhomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
He's better than Staubitz in every manner.
agreed...

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote