HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Jamal Mayers, 1 year/$600k

Old
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

vCash: 500
So i'm thinking he was signed to push Mclaren for a roster position. The best one wins the NHL enforcer role the other gets sent to the AHL.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I saw him play a bit in Toronto, and he's serviceable but going down hill quickly. I'd rather just let McLaren play full time.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Pinkfloyd

I prefer this route as opposed to putting McLaren there honestly. I think McLaren should only be here if he's going to play legitimate minutes. Developing players are not going to develop anything playing 7 to 10 minutes a game here when they can play 15 minutes or more in Worcester. If MacIntyre is as good as his contract given says, he should win himself a 3rd line job instead of playing very little time on the 4th line. If that's the case, I'd like to see another veteran signing for the 4th line and move Mitchell and Huskins for a top four guy like Souray. So we have...

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Mitchell
MacIntyre-Nichol-Mayers

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Wallin
Huskins-Demers
Leach

Niittymaki-Greiss

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Arkansas Shark
Underground Bunker

I don't understand why many of you guys are reacting like your pants are on too tight. Sure Mayers isn't a perennial all star or Owen Nolan, but he is a veteran presence who plays a physical checking role, something the Sharks did not have on the bottom two lines last year. He has similar abilities to that of Mike Grier. Good move DW.
Now sign big Willie Mitchell and then trade spare parts and a couple first round picks to sweeten the pot for either Tobias Enstrom or Mark Streit.
That's the ticket.

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Doesn't anyone else find it weird that this thread is more popular than the one about Setoguchi signing? Priorities, guys.
I think its because we know all about Seto already, so its just 4 pages of "what a steal" or "great deal", but Mayers is someone most Sharks fans don't know a whole lot about.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:36 AM
StalockSuperfan

13th forward? I don't think he takes McLaren's ice time. Maybe MacIntyre's.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Good signing ...

We may b**** now, but I can see him being a fan favorite at season's end like Ortmeyer was

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
SJSharkz

Send a message via AIM to SJSharkz Send a message via MSN to SJSharkz Send a message via Yahoo to SJSharkz
Pretty sure I'd rather Mayers at 600k than Ivanans or Jackman, even Boogaard with there ridiculous contracts. Also most people weren't too pleased with signing Nichol or Ortmeyer last season, pretty sure Nichol is a fan favourite due to his attitude and work ethic, same with Ortmeyer to a lesser extent. How about we give Jamal a chance before we say "I don't know why we signed him".

SJSharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
CupfortheSharks

I don't get all the complaining about this signing. I see Mayers as a more experienced replacement for Staubitz. His job is to throw his body around, create energy, push the limits so he's hard to play against, and answer the call if he needs to. Plus he can kill penalties. He used to do this job very well in St. Louis.

Right now our bottom 6 is:

XX - Couture - XX
XX - Nichol - Mayers
XX

Mitchell and McGinn will fill two of those spots. Lots of people guessing they will be Couture's wings but I don't think we know that for sure yet. That leaves two roster spots for the young forwards or one for the kids and one for a vet UFA. Either way, there will be at least one spot for the young guys to earn a teal jersey and DW can still bring in another UFA vet if he wants.

Last edited by CupfortheSharks: 08-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.
CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
I don't get all the complaining about this signing. I see Mayers as a more experienced replacement for Staubitz. His job is to throw his body around, create energy, push the limits so he's hard to play against, and answer the call if he needs to. Plus he can kill penalties. He used to do this job very well in St. Louis.

Right now our bottom 6 is:

XX - Couture - XX
XX - Nichol - Mayers
XX

Mitchell and McGinn will fill two of those spots. Lots of people guessing they will be Couture's wings but I don't think we know that for sure yet. That leaves two roster spots for the young forwards or one for the kids and one for a vet UFA. Either way, there will be at least one spot for the young guys to earn a teal jersey and DW can still bring in another UFA vet if he wants.
The only player that will challenge McGinn and Mitchell for a 3rd line position is Cam MacIntyre at this point and that's still a long shot given he's fresh out of college.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.fearthefin.com/2010/8/3/1...-mayers-brings
FTF analyzes

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The only player that will challenge McGinn and Mitchell for a 3rd line position is Cam MacIntyre at this point and that's still a long shot given he's fresh out of college.
Agreed. But I'm still hoping to see a Malhotra like signing before the season starts because I think McGinn - Couture - Mitchell will be pushed around too easily.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Agreed. But I'm still hoping to see a Malhotra like signing before the season starts because I think McGinn - Couture - Mitchell will be pushed around too easily.
Ya frankly I'm not to hot on Mitchell either. He declined defensively last season, declined offensively, and really isn't providing much out there relative to his salary. He seemed to improve slightly near the end of the regular season, but then was a total non-issue in the playoffs.

That money could be better spent, and that roster slot could be better allocated. I'd rather put a more mature player on that line. Belanger, Madden, Nolan, whatever. A guy that can steady that line and help keep it consistent.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Ya frankly I'm not to hot on Mitchell either. He declined defensively last season, declined offensively, and really isn't providing much out there relative to his salary. He seemed to improve slightly near the end of the regular season, but then was a total non-issue in the playoffs.

That money could be better spent, and that roster slot could be better allocated. I'd rather put a more mature player on that line. Belanger, Madden, Nolan, whatever. A guy that can steady that line and help keep it consistent.
I'd rather have Mitchell just start being an agitator like Scotty Nichol.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Sharksfan83

Quote:

Would love Madden or Belanger on the team, but wouldn't it be best for Coutures progression to stay at center?

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Pretty good analysis. Mayers is the (very) poor man's Manny. His signing does little to nothing in terms of on-ice play, but maybe DW just wants a veteran guy in the locker room to lead the young kids on the lower lines. Kind of guy to keep them skating hard in practice or something.

Yeesh. This offseason has been hot-and-cold.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Lars Bjorn

Quote:

IMO Mitchell was overrated to begin with, benefited from playing with Mike Grier when he was a very effective lower line player and fed off him. He has speed but isn't the best at using it at the right time in the right way, Grier had speed and was a savvy vet who did know how and took Torrey along with him. This applies to both offense and defense. That said, if he recovers more fully from injury and can progress to get to that point on his own merits he can be what some thought he was originally.

I'm not going to say that other players wouldn't be better for this year in a vacuum, but I'm wary of replacing guys on our roster and from our system with guys who are marginally better replacements, and I know I've already used those words discussing other guys too. I think Madden is too close to marginal given his play last year and lack of offense, Nolan seems unlikely given past history and baggage, and Belanger probably gets an offer for more money/minutes elsewhere (haven't seen him enough to know how he rates defensively either, IDK), but we will see. I liked the Malhotra and Nichol deals like everyone else, but I don't want a 3rd line of perpetual reclamation projects instead of our own young guys every year.

As far as the 3rd line being pushed around, I haven't seen anyone else say it so I will, McGinn was starting to get feisty last year at some points and maybe he helps, he looks like he could be strong on his skates, its a work in progress and not a done deal. If its a speed and skill line I don't know if they need that much more, but I'm making no claims here.

I have a hard time trusting DW these days, and I want to be sketched out by this signing, but the truth is I really haven't watched this guy enough to say anything and I think a few deep breaths are in order.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
viewer3511

honestly, this signing isnt bad. i dont understand why people are wrtiing in macintyre in the lineup when he hasnt even played a freaking nhl game, or an ahl game for that matter. both are making 600k so who would you rather on your lineup? a veteran with limited attributes or a rookie with no professional experience......

viewer3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer3511 View Post
honestly, this signing isnt bad. i dont understand why people are wrtiing in macintyre in the lineup when he hasnt even played a freaking nhl game, or an ahl game for that matter. both are making 600k so who would you rather on your lineup? a veteran with limited attributes or a rookie with no professional experience......
Macintyre was signed to a one way contract. It means it is highly unlikely they plan to send him down. So regardless of this signing, he's going to be in the NHL this year unless he blows it big time.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Macintyre was signed to a one way contract. It means it is highly unlikely they plan to send him down. So regardless of this signing, he's going to be in the NHL this year unless he blows it big time.
He'll still have to win his spot in camp. Otherwise that one way contract means sticking out the year in the AHL. Just because the guy's agent would only take a one way doesn't mean DW promised the kid a spot on the roster.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
He'll still have to win his spot in camp. Otherwise that one way contract means sticking out the year in the AHL. Just because the guy's agent would only take a one way doesn't mean DW promised the kid a spot on the roster.
Oh, I doubt he 'promised' him anything. But he wouldn't have agreed to the deal unless he thought it would pan out. He doesn't want to put a guy in the AHL that is re-entry eligible and making $500k unless absolutely necessary.

So what I said was, it's unlikely he's sent down unless he totally blows it, which i think is accurate.

Old
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535531
Official announcement

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535512
Welcome article

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

With the official announcement, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you SJ Sharks 10/11 roster:

Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($1.800m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.996m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Jamal Mayers ($0.600m) / Scott Nichol ($0.760m) / Cameron MacIntyre ($0.600m)

Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Niclas Wallin ($2.500m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Kent Huskins ($1.700m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
Jay Leach ($0.500m)

Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m) /Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)

We have 3 million left though. Hopefully it won't be Kaberle SC run type of trade deadline deal.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, I doubt he 'promised' him anything. But he wouldn't have agreed to the deal unless he thought it would pan out. He doesn't want to put a guy in the AHL that is re-entry eligible and making $500k unless absolutely necessary.

So what I said was, it's unlikely he's sent down unless he totally blows it, which i think is accurate.
As was pointed out to me in another thread, because he doesn't have to clear waivers to go to the AHL he doesn't have to pass through re-entry waivers either...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
maybe this means mitchell's soon to be gone?

mcginn-couture-ferriero
mclaren-nichol-mayers
I would be extremely content with this bottom 6 with MacIntyre on the shuttle.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote