HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges video interview about captaincy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
  #26
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Anybody who didn't think it would be Gionta for the last 6 months is mentally slow. I mean come on. No offense...but come on
I don't think so and that's why it's great right now to be a Habs fan. So many players could be the captain that many would follow in the right direction. It's a solid group of leaders and I wouldn't call anyone slow for believing someone else then Gionta could be the captain. But he's obviously the man.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
  #27
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,969
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Not at all.

Gorges is not elite in any aspect of his game. A captain should be able to step up his game to god-like status when the game depends on it. Gionta could, he has the talent and the drive. Markov too. Koivu never had that talent and neither does Gorges. Hell, even Jason Smith of the 06 Oilers was a phenomenal stay-at-home defenseman when the situation called on it.

This kind of "one of the good ol boys for captain" mentality has got to end.
So since you're basing "what makes a good captain" off of one playoff run, a la Jason Smith in '06 with the Oilers, I decided to throw my two cents in.

That very same year, in '06, Habs went up 2-0 in the series against Carolina, did they not? So why did they lose that series? Koivu went down with the eye injury, the team crumbled and the team folded out. Without Koivu's leadership, that team sunk.

Gorges (and Gill) had one major role in the playoffs last season. Shut down the star players. They did it to Ovechkin, they did it to Crosby, they did it to Semin and they did it to Malkin.

And furthermore, the hell makes anyone think that a captain is determined on TALENT ALONE?! Dave Andreychuk, anyone? He was a captain not based on his talent and skill level, but because he was a great damn leader to the team.

Just like Gorges.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
  #28
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Anybody who didn't think it would be Gionta for the last 6 months is mentally slow. I mean come on. No offense...but come on
Not really, but ok.

It's not like Gorges, Cammalleri, Gill and even Moen didn't show great leadership over the pass 6 months.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
  #29
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,466
vCash: 500
Its going to be one of Gionta, Gorges, or Cammalleri.

We dont know who the best captain would be because we can only judge from on the ice and during media scrums. Based on that, I would go with Gorges.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
  #30
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Not at all.

Gorges is not elite in any aspect of his game. A captain should be able to step up his game to god-like status when the game depends on it. Gionta could, he has the talent and the drive. Markov too. Koivu never had that talent and neither does Gorges. Hell, even Jason Smith of the 06 Oilers was a phenomenal stay-at-home defenseman when the situation called on it.

This kind of "one of the good ol boys for captain" mentality has got to end.
Your criticism of Koivu and little tagline about Hamrlik is all I think I really need to know about your posts which leads to absolute zero of respect for your thoughts.

Gorges stepped up his game in the playoffs. Markov I've not seen step up his game in the playoffs - that is when he's playing. Koivu has talent and leadership qualities that should not be dismissed.

Who should be captain........we'll find out in a few weeks I guess. This team has guys full of character and leadership. I'd be content if they just decided to not appoint a captain. It seemed to work quite well - different guys stepped in when needed. It was a pleasure to watch IMO.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
  #31
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
You remind me of Ozzy saying that we know nothing about hockey cause Boucher is going to stay with Montreal.

....................Okay?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
  #32
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Not at all.

Gorges is not elite in any aspect of his game. A captain should be able to step up his game to god-like status when the game depends on it. Gionta could, he has the talent and the drive. Markov too. Koivu never had that talent and neither does Gorges. Hell, even Jason Smith of the 06 Oilers was a phenomenal stay-at-home defenseman when the situation called on it.

This kind of "one of the good ol boys for captain" mentality has got to end.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
  #33
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Gionta is the obvious pick, although when Gorges said how the guy would "have a good time", with a smile up his face, I have the feeling it might be Cammalleri.

As far as Gorges himself is concerned, he might be a leader by example, in my opinion, you don't give a letter to a guy who's that young, except if he has some major impact on your team. Think Toews, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc. We did that mistake with Higgins, and it quite obviously didn't work at all.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
  #34
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Not at all.

Gorges is not elite in any aspect of his game. A captain should be able to step up his game to god-like status when the game depends on it. Gionta could, he has the talent and the drive. Markov too. Koivu never had that talent and neither does Gorges. Hell, even Jason Smith of the 06 Oilers was a phenomenal stay-at-home defenseman when the situation called on it.

This kind of "one of the good ol boys for captain" mentality has got to end.
IMO Koivu in his prime had at least twice as much talent as Gionta.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
  #35
dfk711*
The real #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Finland
Posts: 20,086
vCash: 500
I would love to see Gorges as captain, but if not the C then the A is fine too.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
  #36
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not really, but ok.

It's not like Gorges, Cammalleri, Gill and even Moen didn't show great leadership over the pass 6 months.
Moen? Really?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
  #37
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
IMO Koivu in his prime had at least twice as much talent as Gionta.
Still, he never accomplished anything close to what Gionta has done so far in his career. Hence why I think Gionta could make for an even better captain than Koivu.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:07 PM
  #38
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Still, he never accomplished anything close to what Gionta has done so far in his career. Hence why I think Gionta could make for an even better captain than Koivu.
Yep let's compare...

New Jersey 2002-2003
Scott Gomez/Patrick Elias/Brian Gionta
Scott Stevens/Scott Niedermayer
Martin Brodeur

Montréal 2002-2003
Donald Audette/Saku Koivu/Richard Zednik
Andrei Markov/Craig Rivet
José Théodore

I agree, by looking at the top players in Montréal for the past 15 years, mainly that year, it's obviously because of Koivu that we didn't win a Stanley Cup.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
  #39
Hades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Still, he never accomplished anything close to what Gionta has done so far in his career. Hence why I think Gionta could make for an even better captain than Koivu.
Koivu: 0.803 PPG average
Gionta: 0.670 PPG average

Gionta however had the chance of playing on a good team. Koivu is the most talented player overall imo.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
  #40
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Also by your logic, Antti Niemi is a much better goaltender then Curtis Joseph in his prime because CuJo never won anything.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
  #41
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 500
hope the new captain can speak 3 languages fluently

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
  #42
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I would love to see Gorges as captain, but if not the C then the A is fine too.
It sounds weird but I think it's a C or nothing for Gorges. If Gionta or Markov get the C then Gill and the one that doesn't would have the As. I don't think they'd take As away from any of the vets. He'd probably get his A after Gill leaves.

One decent argument for Gorges not getting the C would be that Markov or Gionta will be retiring a lot sooner than Gorges and therefore make a clear path for a guy like Subban to take over in 5 or so years.


Last edited by Sebaldian: 08-03-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
  #43
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Captain must represent the majority of the Quebec population...

So he must speak french.

Captain must almost represent a minority of the Quebec population...

So he must be black.





Ladies and Gentlemen your new Montreal Canadiens captain.







Georges Laraque

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
  #44
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

And furthermore, the hell makes anyone think that a captain is determined on TALENT ALONE?! Dave Andreychuk, anyone? He was a captain not based on his talent and skill level, but because he was a great damn leader to the team.
Also because he had talent, he did score 20 or more goals with his best season or maybe two at 50 or so for like 12-14 seasons in a row. By the time he got to TB he was a vet but I think he had some 20 goal seasons there too. I dunno, I should look him up, he had 50 as a Leaf I'm pretty sure.

What a weird example.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:01 AM
  #45
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Yep let's compare...

New Jersey 2002-2003
Scott Gomez/Patrick Elias/Brian Gionta
Scott Stevens/Scott Niedermayer
Martin Brodeur

Montréal 2002-2003
Donald Audette/Saku Koivu/Richard Zednik
Andrei Markov/Craig Rivet
José Théodore

I agree, by looking at the top players in Montréal for the past 15 years, mainly that year, it's obviously because of Koivu that we didn't win a Stanley Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
Koivu: 0.803 PPG average
Gionta: 0.670 PPG average

Gionta however had the chance of playing on a good team. Koivu is the most talented player overall imo.
Gionta: Stanley Cup winner, former 48 goals scorer.
Koivu: Neither of those.

Keep saying what you guys want, Gionta knows what it takes to win it all, and to achieve his goals. He has much less natural talent as Koivu, but still has a very successful NHL career. He knows what it takes to perform in this league more than anybody else, especially because he's not that much of a natural to begin with.

He's a guy the young players could look up to. Similar to Saku, except he actually knows how to succeed and already had to go through it all, which would make him an even better leader than Koivu IMHO.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
  #46
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,969
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Also because he had talent, he did score 20 or more goals with his best season or maybe two at 50 or so for like 12-14 seasons in a row. By the time he got to TB he was a vet but I think he had some 20 goal seasons there too. I dunno, I should look him up, he had 50 as a Leaf I'm pretty sure.

What a weird example.
That 50 goal year was many seasons before the Cup win.

When he was the captain, he was older, slower and didn't produce AS MUCH as he did 5-10 years ago. However he was chalk full of leadership and he was able to gather up the team and lead them to a Cup win, despite not being the best on the team in terms of talent.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
  #47
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Wow, I remember so many games where Koivu pretty much willed the team to victory by scoring goals, setting up goals or drawing a key penalty. I want Gionta as captain because he can do exactly what Koivu did.
Yeah I know this poster is probably just some habs bandwagoner who knows nothing about hockey.

I mean really how dumb can you possibly be. Koivu not the kind of player to be able to step up and be elite? Koivu is the definition of a normal player who is able to step up and be elite.

Why do you think we did so well with him on our team that other teams went after him and injured him every single time we were doing good? He's one to elevate his game more than most people would believe even possible.

But just because a shotty team let him and us down, that must mean HE as a player isn't able to elevate his game to the elite level, yeah OK sound logic there, when he was captain of some of the worst habs teams possibly of all time and made a turd look like a piece of bronze. Give it a rest supertramp, you give a bad name not only for habs fans, but supertramp fans and the band themselves with your annoyingly dumb comments that sound like they came from a guy who has no knowledge what so ever of this team beyond the last 5 years.

The fact that he says that is laughable just because Koivu is probably one of the more notable "regular players" that can do that so well.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
  #48
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
Koivu: 0.803 PPG average
Gionta: 0.670 PPG average

Gionta however had the chance of playing on a good team. Koivu is the most talented player overall imo.
Exactly, lets take the bottom 5 worst people on NJ who won the cup that year and compare them to the habs top 5 people that year. Are they better? No, they were part of a better team.

Blaming Koivu is just so unacceptable it's just not even funny. People who are doing so should be embarrassed. Swap Koivu with a similar player on any cup winning team he would've made them even better probably.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:15 AM
  #49
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Gionta: Stanley Cup winner, former 48 goals scorer.
Koivu: Neither of those.

Keep saying what you guys want, Gionta knows what it takes to win it all, and to achieve his goals. He has much less natural talent as Koivu, but still has a very successful NHL career. He knows what it takes to perform in this league more than anybody else, especially because he's not that much of a natural to begin with.

He's a guy the young players could look up to. Similar to Saku, except he actually knows how to succeed and already had to go through it all, which would make him an even better leader than Koivu IMHO.
Do I still have to explain to you that there's better chance to score 48 if you play with Elias, Gomez, Mogilny,... then to play with Bulis, Zednik, Savage, Petrov, Audette?

How can you be that dumb is beyond me.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
  #50
TyBOZAK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brampton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
i like cammaleri hopefully he gets the C

Go leafs go

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.