HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Traverse City Prospects Tournament 2010

Old
08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Traverse City Prospects Tournament 2010

Well, we're approaching one of my favorite tournaments of the year, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling and make our discussion thread. We'll be coming off our 2009 Traverse City Championship and will likely be favorites for this year as well. To refresh some of your memories, here's last years rosters with stats:

ForwardsGPGAPTS+/-PIM
Zach Boychuk4404+20
Matt Kennedy4303-32
Brandon Sutter4213+20
Harrison Reed4213+50
Chris Terry4213+34
Drayson Bowman4123+12
Stefan Chaput4123-12
Matt Pistilli4112+24
Nick Dodge4011+10
Phillipe Paradis4000-20
Samueal Morneau4000-12
Justin McRae100000
Defense     
Jamie McBain403308
Josh Day4022-30
Beau Schmitz4022+24
Elgin Reid4011+35
Brett Bellemore4011+26
Michal Jordan3011+10

GoaliesGPWLOTLSOGAGAASVSV%
Mike Murphy4300192.45129.933
Alain Valiquette10100412.319.692

We just got our first look at our roster today, so I'd figure I would try and throw together a depth chart, but then I seen how many RW we had and said **** it.

Forwards
  • Dalpe, Zac (C/RW)
  • Nash, Riley (C)
  • Staal, Jared (RW)
  • Kennedy, Matt (RW)*
  • Pistilli, Matt (RW)*
  • Shugg, Justin (LW)
  • Skinner, Jeff (C/RW)
  • McNicoll, Cedric (C)
  • McKenzie, Mike (LW)
  • Caria, Matt (C/W)
  • Collins, Chris (C)
  • MacDonald, Michael (C/W)

Defense
  • Jordan, Michal (LD)*
  • Levi, Austin (LD)
  • Kivisto, Tommi (LD)
  • Rissanen, Rasmus (LD)
  • Stahl, Tyler (RD)
  • Lawson, Kyle (RD)
  • Claffey, Derek (LD)
  • Hill, Jordan (LD)

Goaltenders
  • Murphy, Mike (G)*
  • Passingham, Troy (G)
*Indicates returning player

I really like this team. It would have been nice to have Faulk here to run our PP, but I suppose it might be more interesting to see if Lawson can step into that role, and if Jordan can show some of the sweet passing that came up once or twice a game for Plymouth. I LOVE that we brought in Caria. I guess that means we're trading Staal for Seguin to reunite the Terry-Seguin-Caria line (... seriously I'm joking, don't take this to the trade boards).

Outside of our top 3 offensive guys, we really put together a hard working team, that will grind it out and play those corners hard. Plus, we have a decent amount of solid two-way players, and a defensive core comprised of a lot of defense first guys. We'll likely be playing a physical game where we rely a lot on strong board play, dirty goals in the crease, strong defensive play, and dare I say a strong powerplay? (Hey, Skinner-Nash-Dalpe with Kivisto-Lawson on the backend sounds pretty good to me)

And finally, our schedule:

Saturday, Sept. 11
3:00 p.m. Minnesota vs. Carolina
3:30 p.m. Columbus vs. N.Y. Rangers
6:30 p.m. St. Louis vs. Tampa Bay
7:00 p.m. Detroit vs. Dallas

Sunday, Sept. 12
2:00 p.m. Minnesota vs. Columbus
2:30 p.m. Dallas vs. St. Louis
5:30 p.m. Carolina vs. N.Y. Rangers
6:00 p.m. Detroit vs. Tampa Bay

Tuesday, Sept. 14
3:00 p.m. Tampa Bay vs. Dallas
3:30 p.m. N.Y. Rangers vs. Minnnesota
6:30 p.m. Columbus vs. Carolina
7:00 p.m. St. Louis vs. Detroit

Wednesday, Sept. 15
2:00 p.m. Seventh (4-Howe vs. 4-Gretzky)
2:30 p.m. Fifth (3-Howe vs. 3-Gretzky)
5:30 p.m. Bronze (2-Howe vs. 2-Gretzky)
6:00 p.m. Gold (1-Howe vs. 1-Gretzky)

Howe DivisionGretzky Division
Red WingsWild
LightningBlue Jackets
BluesRangers
StarsHurricanes

For reference, here are a few sites:

2010 Team Roster
2009 Roster and Stats
Schedule and Division Setup

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Matt Caria

Stats

Quote:
Caria is not the best skater in the world, but he's a scrappy little player who'll do anything to make a play. He's a very talented all around offensive player and he makes those around him better too.
He was 1/3 of the Terry-Seguin-Caria line that ripped apart the O in 08/09 that turned an underachieving Plymouth team that started the season 14-14-3 into a respectable 37-26-5. In fact, one of the main reasons Seguin came out of nowhere to start the season, was that many people accounted his rookie season success to Terry and Caria.

I'm doubtful he's at 6'0" now, as he was around 5'10" in his last year in the O. Regardless, he's an interesting prospect and we all know how we love our small, scrappy OHL forwards (And a Whaler to boot).

Michael MacDonald

Stats

Quote:
He's not the biggest forward, but he brings a lot of energy to the ice and proved to be a good goal scorer as the season went along. A good combination of speed, work ethic, and offensive ability.
MacDonald really flew under the radar this year. He quietly went about his business and put up respectable numbers. He can be feisty, dropping the gloves 3 times this year. He was draft eligible in 2009 and has been passed over twice. He has good ability, but lacks the hockey smarts to be an offensive force and doesn't have the all around play to be a good depth player.

Chris Collins

Stats

Quote:
Competes a bit and has some offensive ability, should be a decent junior player.
Was a 2010 eligible player but really did nothing to get himself drafted. That's really all I got. I scoured all my scouting sites and google but found next to nothing. I wouldn't expect much out of him.

More to come...

Last edited by NobodysFaulkButMine: 08-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.
NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Wake up folks. Hockey is back! Internet was out in the rink today apparently, so no one really knows what exactly happened, but Kyle Hanlin (http://twitter.com/KyleHanlin) from the Canes was tweeting a bit.

Minnesota 2, Carolina 1. Shots were 30-22 Canes. Mike McKenzie scored our goal assisted by Austin Levi. Tomorrow we take on the Rangers at 5:30 and hopefully the Internet will actually work so that this will be updated: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&date=09/11/10

09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
That's a pretty big disappointment in my opinion. Hackett hasn't been looking great in camps with the wild but stepped it up today as he's trying to fight for a spot in the ahl. Surprised we didn't get anything out of our bigger names.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Interesting shot totals...

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...gameid=1354032

Jeff Skinner - 7
Mike McKenzie - 5

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Scorvo

Rutherford seems happy about the game

Quote:

The Canes opened the Traverse City prospects tournament with a 2-1 loss Saturday to the Minnesota Wild, but general manager Jim Rutherford saw more good than bad in the defeat.

"We didn't have a good first period. We got outshot and outscored 2-0," Rutherford said today. "But in the second and third periods we dominated the game. Their goalie was the difference. He was my first star of the game.

"A lot of good things happened for us in the second and third periods. I liked the play of (Jeff) Skinner, (Zac) Dalpe and (Riley) Nash. Another who played well was Jared Staal. He used that big body well and was working hard along the boards, in the corners, in front of the net. He played well."

Mike McKenzie, who scored the Canes' only goal, also drew praise from the GM.

"He's a very, very smart player and has a Chad LaRose type work ethic," Rutherford said. "He's a non-contract player but he's working his way toward making it to Charlotte (AHL) this year."

Skinner, the Canes' first-round pick this year, was credited with seven shots on goal and was active.

"He made three or four great plays to get the puck to players in the slot, but their goalie made some big stops," Rutherford said. "Jeff was probably our best skater in the game. You can see how competitive he is. In the second and third periods he really picked his game up."

The Canes play the New York Rangers today at 5:30.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...itives-in-loss

Scorvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
seeing what Minnesota just did to CBus I'm not all that disappointed in this. Holy ****, 5-1? I thought the Jackets prospects were supposedly good. And Dallas (another low ranked team) ***** slapped St Louis 4-1.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
1213caniac1630*

Let's go Canes! This is a nice way to kill time until Sept. 21.

On an unrelated note, anyone else doing the NCSU/GT Canes/Trashers double dip on Sept. 25?

1213caniac1630* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
geehaad

Canes win Game 2 versus the Rangers, 1-0, on a goal by Zac Dalpe assisted by Michal Jordan and Kyle Lawson with 56.8 seconds remaining in regulation.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
and a shutout for Mike Murphy, who stopped 33 shots.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The offense seems a bit anemic from the box scores, eh?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3289
Atta boi Dalpe!!!

Don't think for a second that this isn't "Training Camp 1.0." Guys like Dalpe, Skinner, and Nash who're fighting for a training camp spot, yeah this is DEFINITELY going to impact their chances. Way to come to play in the clutch, Zac... 4 shots on net led the team as well.

I certainly won't overreact after just one game, but if he plays well Dalpe has just as good a chance as Nash for that #3 spot...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The offense seems a bit anemic from the box scores, eh?
I'd agree, but really aside from Skinner and Dalpe, most of our best aren't there (NCAAers) or are just flat out ineligible (Dodge, Boychuk, Bowman, Terry). I'll take this, especially with this defense. When we're not able to use Faulk, Alt and Dumoulin there goes about half our top defensive prospects right there. Thankfully Lawson is there.

yeah I'm drunk, what of it?

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
When we're not able to use Faulk, Alt and Dumoulin there goes about half our top defensive prospects right there.
That's not just HALF our top prospects; that's our TOP 3 eligible D prospects...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Gr8Dan

Dalpe > Nash for 3rd line center?

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:55 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Dalpe > Nash for 3rd line center?
it is possible. That job is for grabs and Dalpe and Nash are very similar in their overall skills and development.

At the moment it's pretty much impossible to say who'll have a better career in the NHL.

Last edited by dmonk: 09-13-2010 at 09:01 AM.
dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Scorvo

I think Matsumoto has just as good of a shot. That 3rd line C spot is wide open. I don't think the depth chart on the official site has anything to do with what we will see at the end of camp, let alone who the leading contenders are.

Scorvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
I think Matsumoto has just as good of a shot. That 3rd line C spot is wide open. I don't think the depth chart on the official site has anything to do with what we will see at the end of camp, let alone who the leading contenders are.
I have had that feeling aswell. With that said, I am having a tough time counting out Dalpe, I just think there is something special with that kid, even more so than Nash.

As for Skinner, I have a feeling he may stick around and make Rutherford & co. keep him. Knowing his goal scoring instincts and determination are as good as any prospect in the league, followed by a summer of working with Gary Roberts, I think Skinner may be one of the few from this draft to stick in the NHL this year.

I could see the following if both Skinner & Dalpe prove worthy enough to make the big squad,

Jokinen - Staal - Skinner
Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Samsonov - Dalpe - Tlusty
Kostopoulos - Dodge/Dwyer - LaRose

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-13-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
DuklaNation

Dalpe has better offensive skills than Nash. That should be obvious by now.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Dalpe has better offensive skills than Nash. That should be obvious by now.
I think so, I see Dalpe as potentially a top 6 winger where Nash is more so likely best suited in a top 9, 3rd line role. With that said, I guess Nash did some things offensively that really left Francis impressed, so it is possible Nash's offensive talents were left a bit hidden based on where he played and the system that was preached. It'll be interesting to see if Nash can flourish on the offensive side of things when given the leash to do so. Though again, I still believe Dalpe is the better offensive player of the two. I'm pretty high on Dalpe, I think he could even tap out being better than Boychuk.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I have had that feeling aswell. With that said, I am having a tough time counting out Dalpe, I just think there is something special with that kid, even more so than Nash.

As for Skinner, I have a feeling he may stick around and make Rutherford & co. keep him. Knowing his goal scoring instincts and determination are as good as any prospect in the league, followed by a summer of working with Gary Roberts, I think Skinner may be one of the few from this draft to stick in the NHL this year.

I could see the following if both Skinner & Dalpe prove worthy enough to make the big squad,

Jokinen - Staal - Skinner
Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Samsonov - Dalpe - Tlusty
Kostopoulos - Dodge/Dwyer - LaRose
I think Cole or Larose will be on the 3rd line instead of samsonov.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
I think Cole or Larose will be on the 3rd line instead of samsonov.
Stupid me, I knew I was forgetting somebody. Based on what has been said so far, it seems as though Samsonov & Cole are looking quite good, therefore one of the kids may have to play pretty solid to take a spot away from a guy like Samsonov. I think to start Samsonov will get his shot, if he fails he'll be replaced by one of the prospects waiting in the wings. Not to mention JR saying the other day he may bring in a couple guys on tryouts or two-way deals that are left over in free agency. It will likely not effect the outcome of some of the kids getting spots out of training camp (Boychuk, Skinner, Dalpe, Nash, Bowman, etc.) as it seems we're pretty set on going with the youth here, atleast to start the season. JR went on to say if 6 weeks or so go by and the results aren't there for the kids, these guys on two-way may get the call then. All in all it seems to me unless a handfull of these kids wow management at camp, they'll likely start the season in Charlotte as there just does't seem to be room for a lot of them with guys like Samsonov, Cole, Tlusty already set to occupy a spot. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. We could be headed for a logjam if some of the youngsters all prove ready and worthy - Skinner, Boychuk, Dalpe, Tlusty, Nash, Bowman.

Old
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

(From Chip) Some strong words from Rutherford regarding Skinner's chances of making the team.

Quote:
Canes general manager Jim Rutherford hasn't come out and fully awarded Jeff Skinner a roster spot for this year, but he has made some strong comments about the team's first-round draft pick.

“We have some spots open on our roster. If he plays the way we expect him to, he’ll probably get one of those spots. ... I would suspect, with his determination and the way he plays the game, he’s going to figure out how to make it right in his first year.”

"The roster spot is there for him," Rutherford said. "He has to compete with several other players, but the way he's trained this summer, and with his strength and conditioning work with Gary Roberts, he's very advanced for his age from a strength and conditioning standpoint.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ke-leap-to-nhl

Old
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I hope if the kids show they are a better option than Cole or Sammy, we won't hesitate to put them in the pressbox. Sure, it would be a complete waste of money but it would also be a waste of a roster spot a prospect could being play in, and this year is supposed to be about the rebuild and letting the kids have their chances to step up.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
bleedgreen

i know we'd all like skinner to come in and do the job, but this is standard jr. rushing the top pick. it has ruined some, worked for others. i generally hate it. the idea this kid has "nothing to prove in junior" would be a joke. he has plenty to work on.

more standard jr, keeping the idea of vets coming in for training camp jobs when we have so many kids fighting for not that many spots. cant except a youth movement even when he is in one. "if we are six weeks in and the kids arent doing well, we'll see". six weeks. six whole weeks. thats long enough to decide if youll embrace your "youth movement", or trade em off for vets?

you slay me, jr. this is our bed - lets lay in it a while.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote