HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke cancels charity event to go to Europe to sign a player

Old
08-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

vCash: 500
I don't believe this one bit.

08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

So far there hasn't been any other credible sources for this. We know that Burke cancelled the charity event, but no one knows if he actually went to Europe or he's still here. I highly doubt Forsberg is coming here.

I'm going to wait until TSN or Sportsnet or the Toronto Star or Sun report it.

The Kaberle thing doesn't make sense either, why the hell would he fly all the way to Europe for Kabs? Couldn't he just work something out with his agent or find another way of doing business? Since when do you have to fly to Europe to sign your own damn player?

If this report is true, like others have said, it would have to be for something really significant cause Burke is quite active in the community and wouldn't cancel something like this for a small thing like re-signing Kabs or signing Afinogenov or other retarded ideas

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
EroCaps

I'm surprised no one has speculated that it's all an attempt to get Alexander Semin to sign a long-term deal prior to a sign-and-trade for Luke Schenn.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
lordsithis

Honestly, as a Leafs fan I can't wait for the off-season to be over. Not because I'm excited to watch my Leafs probably lose most of their games, but because we can end this "Kaberle Saga" crap and all of these bs rumors. Kaberle will remain a Leaf and we will be in the bottom five in the standings again next season. I'm not being pessimistic, I am being realistic.

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'm surprised no one has speculated that it's all an attempt to get Alexander Semin to sign a long-term deal prior to a sign-and-trade for Luke Schenn.

There's this weird thing in the NHL called a salary cap....apparently we lost a whole year of hockey to get it???

Meanwhile, this is the kind of move that does not in any way/shape/form fit into the way the Caps are structured.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:30 AM
OILNATION*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Dude... no. It's not funny and the guy should be smacked for making a joke like that.

No. I seriously doubt Burke likes Semin that much to trade Schenn because Schenn is the player this team needs to keep unless we can get a legit top line PF like Ryan or Neal. Our top 6 is soft enough already and we don't need more soft players. He may do it for Kaberle if that's the best offer on the table.
That's what she said, but she was wrong.

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:39 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
There's this weird thing in the NHL called a salary cap....apparently we lost a whole year of hockey to get it???

Meanwhile, this is the kind of move that does not in any way/shape/form fit into the way the Caps are structured.
That was intended tongue in cheek.

...but to play Devil's Advocate, the Caps could easily take back Jeff Finger and are likely parting with Semin after this season anyways.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Bobo Fett*

Actually no. You would see a thread made and a bunch of posters pretty bitter about it.

Guess why they never wrote such a joke? Because they are smart enough not to cross certain lines.

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
If anyone wants to keep this off topic or post tasteless "jokes"... expect some points. Stay within the topic please.

08-04-2010, 01:55 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

I'm not expecting anything big. Burke doesn't seem like the type of guy who would sincerely give a **** about a charity event.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:02 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
I'm not expecting anything big. Burke doesn't seem like the type of guy who would sincerely give a **** about a charity event.
Burke is an active member of the community and is very caring due to the fact that his own son was a homosexual and a very sympathetic person. He wouldn't cancel this for something insignificant

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:08 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
So far there hasn't been any other credible sources for this. We know that Burke cancelled the charity event, but no one knows if he actually went to Europe or he's still here. I highly doubt Forsberg is coming here.

I'm going to wait until TSN or Sportsnet or the Toronto Star or Sun report it.

The Kaberle thing doesn't make sense either, why the hell would he fly all the way to Europe for Kabs? Couldn't he just work something out with his agent or find another way of doing business? Since when do you have to fly to Europe to sign your own damn player?

If this report is true, like others have said, it would have to be for something really significant cause Burke is quite active in the community and wouldn't cancel something like this for a small thing like re-signing Kabs or signing Afinogenov or other retarded ideas
Agreed, he wouldnt leave for those reasons. Also considering the teams standing I doubt Forsberg or any other old Star type player is coming, not to mention we are low on cap space.
More likely scenerio is is a good young guy from euro league or someone with a NTC he wants to impress. It could even be a non player move, hiring a coach or some other kind of non player staff. These may not be the exciting options but they seem the more reasonable ones.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
This thread's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILNATION View Post
Wait, Burke likes Semin?

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

What's a chairty event?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
BeLeafer11

Quote:
WOW That may be the most ignorant comment I've ever seen on HF. Do some research on his involvement with charities and the community before saying something so stupid.

BeLeafer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Coach Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Julien View Post

Who could it be? Forsberg?

Oh and if it's a legit signing...

In that picture it looks like he's reaching for his cheque book and carrying an ice pack. That screams Forsberg signing.

Coach Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Coach Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
My bet is hes got a deal in the works for Kaberle, but needs him to sign an extension first.
GMs that acquires the player is usually the one who likes to make the splash and get the contract extension. It makes the deal look better on his end. The GM getting a player to re-up to deal him looks like a patsy.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:52 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Burke is an active member of the community and is very caring due to the fact that his own son was a homosexual and a very sympathetic person. He wouldn't cancel this for something insignificant
what does burkes son being gay have anything to do with burke involvement with the community.

if you were claiming he is more active supporting gay rights because of his son being gay then i could see the correlation but i think your logic is a little wrong even though i agree that burke is an active member in the community.

your logic =if gay then sympathetic, caring, and active in community.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Craig View Post
GMs that acquires the player is usually the one who likes to make the splash and get the contract extension. It makes the deal look better on his end. The GM getting a player to re-up to deal him looks like a patsy.
the only way this makes sense is if, the team interested in kaberle wants assurance that either he will resign before the deal is announced, or, that he is willing to talk extension and burke is going to europe to speak to kaberle personally.

i dont think burke would cancel his own chairty event thats sold hundreds of tickets simply to sign some unknown bum or euro ufa.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Coach Craig

BTW, I have eaten a meal at FW Historical Park and it would take something of epic proportions to get me away from a free meal there, so my expectations are sky rocketing.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
What makes you think that?

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

this is going to be a fun thread

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Coach Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
the only way this makes sense is if, the team interested in kaberle wants assurance that either he will resign before the deal is announced, or, that he is willing to talk extension and burke is going to europe to speak to kaberle personally.

i dont think burke would cancel his own chairty event thats sold hundreds of tickets simply to sign some unknown bum or euro ufa.
What I said was If someone is interested in acquiring Kaberle, but only if he is willing to talk extension, the onus is on them to talk to him and not on Burke. They are the one that needs to do the sell job. If there is to be an extension, he would do that part with the new team, not the team trading him.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm sticking with my prediction that he's trying to sign Selanne.

After all, Burke does have a history of bringing in his former players (Giggy, Beauchemin and Brown on the Leafs, Morrison and Bertuzzi on the Ducks).

I know Anahiem has the cap to fit Selanne in, but where would he play on their roster? Blake-Koivu-Lupul seem to comprise their second line.

If Selanne and Kariya have been wanting to sign as a package deal, maybe Burke thinks he can fit them both in after dealing Kaberle and waiving Finger.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
martins1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Julien View Post
http://www.leafsnews.com/2010/08/03/...lated-matters/

Who could it be? Forsberg?

Kudos to MapleLeafs38 and Captain Sexton for breaking the news on the Leafs board.

Oh and if it's a legit signing...

i keep hearing niemi but why? unless they are trading a goalie which i highly doubt

martins1996 is offline   Reply With Quote