HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: I just spent 6 days In Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Thinkbig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Laval is one of the worst place to live , next to Iraq and Korea.
It really is horrible , and I still can't forget their commercials they made not long ago comparing themselve to Mtl it was hilarious.
LOL

is there a sarcasm emoticon missing?

Old
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
LOL

is there a sarcasm emoticon missing?
The Iraq thing was a joke obv but except that Laval is truly horrible , everytime I go there I wonder why I didnt stay home.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
GordonGraham

Yes quebec city has an inferiority complex when it comes to Montreal just like Montreal has one when it comes to Toronto.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
French could easilly be wiped out of North America in a few decades.
Wow, way to give yourselves credit. I mean, you start by saying how culturally superior francophones are, but then turn around and say the culture is so weak that without special laws to force people to speak french, it would be wiped out. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Yes quebec city has an inferiority complex when it comes to Montreal just like Montreal has one when it comes to Toronto.
Well, that's because Toronto is the center of the Canadian Universe.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:37 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Montreal has no inferiority complex to Toronto.We just dont care really and we all know it's better to live in Mtl than in Toronto.

As for the french/english thing , I come from east-end montreal so people don't really speak english here in general , I just learned by myself watching movies and on the internet.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Wow, way to give yourselves credit. I mean, you start by saying how culturally superior francophones are, but then turn around and say the culture is so weak that without special laws to force people to speak french, it would be wiped out. That doesn't make sense to me.
He's talking about assimilation of the French language in Canada though. It's a very well known, studied, documented phenomenon.

He also never said francophones are culturally superior. He said separatists were. Very different (but equally wrong obviously).

Old
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
For the few that actually do, it's because the have never actually been to that mess !

Old
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Montreal-Quebec= Huge rivalry. Its like Boston/Montreal or Montreal Philly. But the only problem is that Mtl & Quebec are in the same country

"That big church on the hill" is called Oratoire St-Joseph. That huge building infront of it down hill- is my highschool

Montréal is a Bilingual city. Alot of people think we just speak French and we're annoying, but its a false perception. Montréal being a Metropole kinda forced in a indirect way the French people to speak English. Though, not to forget, i'd say around 40% of montréalers are Anglophones(somoeone correct me if im wrong)

Im happy you enjoyed your stay
Yeah! CND represents! Graduated from this place a few years ago.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
It's funny that people around here (Quebec) make a big fuss about languages and such where in the US (around NYC where I've been last week) they translate a lot of signs to Spanish. I mean, I know the Hispanic population is huge in the US but as far as I know it's not an official language... here we fight about what should be in French, English, who should speak French, etc..
Yeah, in the states there's a ton of Spanish people, so you appeal to them to get their business. Why else would CBC have that special CBC for another language that isn't considered a language of Canada ? I forget the name of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, technically the Spanish have no official language rights in the States, whereas Canada was colonized by both the French and the English and the Official Languages Act(1969) officially recognizes the bilingualism of the Canadian Government. (something a surprising amount of Canadians don't know). The reason/difference lies in historical roots of each country.
Technically speaking, the English long ago could have prevented French, instead they were kind and let the French colonists who were left after the battle to keep their language, their culture, their religion. Good thing they did. French women are awesome and poutine rocks.

I've dealt with people who don't speak English here. I went to serve them at the cash and did the typical "Hi, how are you ?" to no response. Heard the mother say something to her daughter in French, so then I knew I had to switch it up and potentially embarrass myself.

Good thing I know my numbers in French along with "Is that all ?" and cents. Don't know how to spell it, though. It sounds the same like sous as in sous-sol.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM
scottyG

Quote:
You forget to visit Montreal-Nord!!!!!111
Lol I must admit this comment made me laugh.. Good job

And to the guy who said french will be gone in NA in the future I couldn't agree more. IMO the languages of the future are English(obviously), Chiniese and Spanish.
I also think Bill 101 will be gone in about 20 years since the "old school" quebecers will likely pass away and the newer generations will realize just how important english is

Old
08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
It really is horrible , and I still can't forget their commercials they made not long ago comparing themselve to Mtl it was hilarious.
Best thing I've ever done in my life was to move out of Laval when I could. Can't believe I spent 21 years there.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Another thing about the french/english of Montreal.
It really depends where you are in town.
If you're in the east of Montreal living here without speaking french would be more difficult , but easily doable none the less.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
JoshGorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
day trip to Quebec city = walk around old city & citadel for 3 hours then get bored and start drinking.
What's the difference between Qc and Mtl ? Same thing but smaller! when we visit montreal... Walk on St-Cath/Old Port then get bored and start drinking (Except for the Habs)... For some Montrealers, Montreal is the center of the world... Wake up, we're in 2010

Quebec city has the same things to do than Montreal except we have 10x less traffic and we're all french.

I went to Montreal a few times but last summer, i went to a t-shirt shop on St-Cath streets and employers inside CAN'T serve me in french, Wow that's just disgusting lol

Old
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Another thing about the french/english of Montreal.
It really depends where you are in town.
If you're in the east of Montreal living here without speaking french would be more difficult , but easily doable none the less.
Here in St.Leonard most people speak english/italian.

Stores,Resturants,Bars are usually english/french speaking. I've seen as much english as french

Old
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
You forget to visit Montreal-Nord!!!!!111
Watchu say dudeee Im from Mtl Nord,
He could have stayed for the hoodstock event

Old
08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Lol I must admit this comment made me laugh.. Good job

And to the guy who said french will be gone in NA in the future I couldn't agree more. IMO the languages of the future are English(obviously), Chiniese and Spanish.
I also think Bill 101 will be gone in about 20 years since the "old school" quebecers will likely pass away and the newer generations will realize just how important english is
So the old school quebecers are french and when they will die, french will die with them too?

Keep dreamin'

Last edited by Booba: 08-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old
08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Here in St.Leonard most people speak english/italian.

Stores,Resturants,Bars are usually english/french speaking. I've seen as much english as french
Yeah in STL it's pretty much 50/50

Old
08-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I was in Italy last year and most radio stations play english music 100% of the time. And there's a freaking McDonalds in Venice.

Nothing against America, but we don't want every country to become America...
Hah, McDonalds is the only place to get a decent breakfast at a reasonable price in most of the world. Im so happy when there's one around in Europe or some other country that tries to get away with serving you crap "continental" breakfasts.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:27 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Dude it isn't that bad at all, far from it. I don't live there personally but have been several times as I do have a buddy who lives there. Granted his parents are in a nice area, it isn't bad at all.

I'd much rather Laval than Quebec city.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Dude it isn't that bad at all, far from it. I don't live there personally but have been several times as I do have a buddy who lives there. Granted his parents are in a nice area, it isn't bad at all.

I'd much rather Laval than Quebec city.
I was referring to the boring factor

Old
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGorges View Post
What's the difference between Qc and Mtl ? Same thing but smaller! when we visit montreal... Walk on St-Cath/Old Port then get bored and start drinking (Except for the Habs)... For some Montrealers, Montreal is the center of the world... Wake up, we're in 2010

Quebec city has the same things to do than Montreal except we have 10x less traffic and we're all french.

I went to Montreal a few times but last summer, i went to a t-shirt shop on St-Cath streets and employers inside CAN'T serve me in french, Wow that's just disgusting lol
I can see how people can be bored fast in Montreal. If you don't come for a particular event or are restricted in some things (i.e. age when it comes to nightlife) you've pretty much done Montreal in two days.

And if you get served in English, continue to speak in French. Most people understand you anyway.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:

Stay in quebec city then if you can't handle english people existing.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah, in the states there's a ton of Spanish people, so you appeal to them to get their business. Why else would CBC have that special CBC for another language that isn't considered a language of Canada ? I forget the name of it.

Technically speaking, the English long ago could have prevented French, instead they were kind and let the French colonists who were left after the battle to keep their language, their culture, their religion. Good thing they did. French women are awesome and poutine rocks.

I've dealt with people who don't speak English here. I went to serve them at the cash and did the typical "Hi, how are you ?" to no response. Heard the mother say something to her daughter in French, so then I knew I had to switch it up and potentially embarrass myself.

Good thing I know my numbers in French along with "Is that all ?" and cents. Don't know how to spell it, though. It sounds the same like sous as in sous-sol.
What battle? The 7 year war? Are you refering to the Treaty of Paris? When exactly did the English decide to be "nice" and not "prevent the French" whatever that means?

Old
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Bored in Montreal OMG, what are you talking about ? I don't live in Montreal but i would never get bored with it !!!!

Next time ask for the employees, they speak french !

Closed Thread