HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Goalie Here

Old
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Acew61

vCash: 500
New Goalie Here

Having some issues with a group I play with and was wondering what you all would do.....here's a little background.

I've recently started learning to play goal (2 months in), and currently play 3x a week. 2x a week at skate and shoot sessions and once a week drop-in. I enjoy the s&s time; guys help me out with mistakes I'm making and generally feel like I'm making progress each and every time I'm out there. The drop in is another story.

Everytime it devolves into 1,2,3 on 0's. Somehow I always manage to get the crap team in front of me and within 5 minutes in it's just a turkey shoot. When I look up and see 2 or 3 of the opposing team bearing down on me and my 5 guys coasting behind it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. I go to the drop in so I can learn to play in a game situation, and I get none of that. Today I faced 27 of these in less than an hour. I skated off after the 27th and flipped my team the bird. I don't mind it at the skate and shoot but it's not what I'm there for at drop-in.

Should I just skate out on the wing and deprive them of a goalie (shooter-tutor at one end wheeeee) until winter comes around and the better hockey players are around? (university campus rink; club guys/randoms will be back end of this month) Or am I being a primadonna? I feel like I'm not learning anything during these drop-ins other than there are some really lazy jerk-offs out there. It gets really demoralizing being a new goalie and facing those situations when I'm trying to play well but it seems my guys are intent on not going any farther than our blue line. Should I just join a league in the area's goalie list and hope the random team understands I'm new and (I assume) they'll at least play some D seeing as they're paying for it?

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
Having some issues with a group I play with and was wondering what you all would do.....here's a little background.

I've recently started learning to play goal (2 months in), and currently play 3x a week. 2x a week at skate and shoot sessions and once a week drop-in. I enjoy the s&s time; guys help me out with mistakes I'm making and generally feel like I'm making progress each and every time I'm out there. The drop in is another story.

Everytime it devolves into 1,2,3 on 0's. Somehow I always manage to get the crap team in front of me and within 5 minutes in it's just a turkey shoot. When I look up and see 2 or 3 of the opposing team bearing down on me and my 5 guys coasting behind it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. I go to the drop in so I can learn to play in a game situation, and I get none of that. Today I faced 27 of these in less than an hour. I skated off after the 27th and flipped my team the bird. I don't mind it at the skate and shoot but it's not what I'm there for at drop-in.

Should I just skate out on the wing and deprive them of a goalie (shooter-tutor at one end wheeeee) until winter comes around and the better hockey players are around? (university campus rink; club guys/randoms will be back end of this month) Or am I being a primadonna? I feel like I'm not learning anything during these drop-ins other than there are some really lazy jerk-offs out there. It gets really demoralizing being a new goalie and facing those situations when I'm trying to play well but it seems my guys are intent on not going any farther than our blue line. Should I just join a league in the area's goalie list and hope the random team understands I'm new and (I assume) they'll at least play some D seeing as they're paying for it?

Yeah, you are being a primadonna a lil bit (so long as they aren't giving you **** about letting those goals in).

Your team mates sound like they're being lazy bums though, so they shouldn't be too mad. That's the way open hockey is a lot of places, particularly if you're going to a session where it's younger players. I find that the older guys tend to enjoy playing the game the right way and giving a good effort even at open hockey (that is a generalization, and I'm sure we can find lots of exceptions to it on a hockey board. I'm just saying that is my experience). I love playing with middle aged guys at open because its like a real game.

Open hockey can be very frustrating for a goalie if you actually care about getting scored on. Particularly if you don't have league games to play in and you're trying your level best and everyone else is there just to mess around. It can be a really nice tool to get good at handling odd man rushes and multiple scoring threats. The only thing I would warn against is that it can cause you to start making choices in your positioning that will be incorrect in circumstances when you do have legitimate defensive help (overplaying back-door plays and not challenging the initial shooter enough, etc.)

Relax a little bit and enjoy yourself. If you absolutely have to take open hockey seriously, my advice would be to turn your attention to your own performance and improving it. Your team is a lot more likely to respond to encouragement and being spurred along by a goalie who is constantly bailing them out, as opposed to what they hear as just being a lot of complaining from a goalie that keeps getting lit up.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Acew61

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Yeah, you are being a primadonna a lil bit (so long as they aren't giving you **** about letting those goals in).

Your team mates sound like they're being lazy bums though, so they shouldn't be too mad. That's the way open hockey is a lot of places, particularly if you're going to a session where it's younger players. I find that the older guys tend to enjoy playing the game the right way and giving a good effort even at open hockey (that is a generalization, and I'm sure we can find lots of exceptions to it on a hockey board. I'm just saying that is my experience). I love playing with middle aged guys at open because its like a real game.

Open hockey can be very frustrating for a goalie if you actually care about getting scored on. Particularly if you don't have league games to play in and you're trying your level best and everyone else is there just to mess around. It can be a really nice tool to get good at handling odd man rushes and multiple scoring threats. The only thing I would warn against is that it can cause you to start making choices in your positioning that will be incorrect in circumstances when you do have legitimate defensive help (overplaying back-door plays and not challenging the initial shooter enough, etc.)
Relax a little bit and enjoy yourself. If you absolutely have to take open hockey seriously, my advice would be to turn your attention to your own performance and improving it. Your team is a lot more likely to respond to encouragement and being spurred along by a goalie who is constantly bailing them out, as opposed to what they hear as just being a lot of complaining from a goalie that keeps getting lit up.
Yea one them gave me some crap; took about all I had mentally to not take his knees out. I don't even try to take it that seriously it's just absolutely no fun getting absolutely lit the hell up. If it was legit gameplay I could learn from it but facing a 3-0 with all the time in the world because my guys are still at the opposite blueline doesnt really help me out much. Kind of annoying because as the end of your post alludes to I go to the open because I want to get some game experience and its basically making bad habits worse instead of better with decent experience. Oh well; think I'll skate out next week and let them ***** about having to shoot at a tutor and chirp at 'em a little reminder that maybe if you even made a token backchecking effort and put some pressure on their backs it wouldn't be killing my confidence as a beginner and I'd dress for goal.

You're dead on with the older guys. My team was all the young guys and the other was the late 20's and up. It's not lack of skill on my teams part; just playing like idiots 5 men low, etc. They always have their own goalie though and I'm the random dude so he always gets to stand behind a solid d and I get the pack of gibbering retards.

Last edited by Acew61: 08-02-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add a little more
Old
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Hounsy

Most of the organized pickup groups I play with we have the teams switch ends when one of the teams reach five goals.

Pickup is what it is and rarely is it game like. I never play open hockey but I could only imagine it even worse. If you've only been playing a few months any time on the ice in your gear should be helpful. When pickup is out of control I will just start treating chances as movement drills and focus on my movement technique and body position more than the puck and if it goes in it goes in, not like anyone else cares that much either.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
blueberrydanish

Ya, at opens that will happen. If noone is givin you **** then just deal with it.

Nothing more annoying watching all the breakaways and odd man rushes though. I play defense in my league so when I see that bothers the crap outta me. But, it is open, and I can speak from experience some people dont ever give defense a second thought if even a first at opens. They will sit back at the point in our offensive zone then play ZERO defense, and when they get back into our zone(if they do) they sit at the point being useless again. Rinse and repeat all game, makes it nearly impossible for anyone to try and play real Defense with these types but not much you can do without ruining your own experience as a skater.

At my opens the goalies switch it up every 15-30 minutes(depending on what they decide) so might try that out with the other goalies so you aren't getting pelted all game atleast.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Hope there's only one goalie one day and play half ice where they have to take it back to the blue line.

The defense is already in your zone so you won't have as many* breakaways as you usually will see.

*there still will be some...somehow...don't ask.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I once had my entire team take a leisurely line change together at open hockey and leave me to face a 5-0 alone. Had something to do with ice time politics. I thought it was absolutely hilarious, because it happened three more times, apparently it was a cliquey disagreement type thing. I don't know.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Acew61

LOL at some of these. Good to know that its the norm for open to be an absolute **** show. Guess I'll grin and bear it and as one guy said just use it for more positioning type stuff. Have to look for a beginner-ish league to play net for games. Still gonna skate out this week though just so I can chirp them a bit about how lazy they are.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My fiddy cents...

I go to the drop in so I can learn to play in a game situation

That right there's your problem...drop in is all offense and no backchecking. You can use it as breakaway practice...come out and be aggressive and challenge the shooters, practice poke checks, etc...but guys aren't going to play D at drop in.

If the guys give you crap, tell him to come back quicker and give you a chance.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote