HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Grip Question

Old
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Grip Question

Maybe this is something I missed. Your bottom hand on the stick, does your thumb go around the shaft, or on top of it?

I ask because I've been doing around the stick, and keeping a "death grip" on things as I play D and am often in stick battles in front of the net. Yet when I practice slapshots, the index finger of my bottom hand was becoming very sore after just a few pucks, as it seemed to be taking the full force of the impact.

When I switched to my thumb on top of the shaft, more of the force of the shot hit my palm, and the pain seemed to be less. This leads me to believe this is the correct way. Is this true?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
hoonking

It feels awfully uncomfortable for me to keep my thumb on top for some reason.... and in case the thumb on top method is not the "proper" choice, the slap shot pains should go away once you keep practicing. When I started taking slappers it hurt a lot too but eventually that part of my hand just toughened up.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:03 PM
saskfarmboy
That's pretty neat!

i really don't think it matters. personal preferance

saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have the thumb kind of wrapped around I guess, but I've never had a pain from shooting in my bottom hand. How stiff is the stick you're using and what's your height/weight?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have the thumb kind of wrapped around I guess, but I've never had a pain from shooting in my bottom hand. How stiff is the stick you're using and what's your height/weight?
6'4" 265, using a 92 flex Harrow 300 stick.

Have tried both a 87 flex Louisville, and a 110 flex RBK 10K, all with the same results.

Old
08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are you holding the stick with just the fingers? I usually have the stick in my bottom hand right in the meat of the palm.

Old
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Skraut

It seems like I am. More of a closed position I think, which is why putting my thumb on top of the shaft, helped me open it up, so that the palm took more of the impact. But wrapping my thumb around the stick, my wrist just doesn't seem to want to open up enough to get the stick to hit the palm.

All of my sticks have a pretty big box shape. Not sure if that's the case, and I'm wondering if something smaller, or a concave type shaft would help me get things in the right position.

Old
08-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You definitely want to have the stick in the palm and not the fingers. The force is going to go through your bottom arm into the stick, and you don't want all that force going through your fingers. Especially on slappers, you want the wrists locked so you transfer all that energy right into the stick, not into wrist movement (which causes injury).

Old
08-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Skraut

yeah, I think I'm holding my elbow too far away from my body which is forcing my grip closed, and not letting the stick hit the palm. Will work on that.