HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier

Old
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Bernier

I was curious how many games Kings fans think it will take before Bernier is the team's starter over Quick.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Quattro

120 at least

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:48 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I see Bernier getting 20-30 games this season which means Quick will be the number 1 for the season. Im hoping the competition for the crease will only help both of them.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
120 at least

you are joking right?

I'm going to say 30 games. The two split the first 60 games, Bernier gets the #1 gig after that to close out the season and go into the playoffs as the #1. If he falters in the playoffs(doubt it), they can go back to Quick.

Evgeny Oliker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
DeeMeck

I think Bernier is #1 by the trade deadline.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. I think Quick will start out the season with the most games, but once he goes into a slump, they will count on Bernier more and more until around the trade deadline. Then he will completely take the reins into the playoffs. That being said, with these two, neither one will be a #1 like Quick was last year. Because we now have two great goalies, I see a more 1A-1B situation until one of them really pulls away.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think it'll be just like Niemi in Chicago, slowly go from back-up to co-number one and then in the playoffs take over the top job.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
yup.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Well, provided Terry Murray gives Bernier more playing time than Ersberg (and it seems like he will), you'll see a gradual change. If Quick is well-rested and on top of his game (like the beginning half of the season), it could take longer. Regardless, this is a fantastic problem to have. I would love to have both for a couple of seasons in a 1A/1B type situation. By the end of that value for both will be extremely high.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
you are joking right?
Not at all. Quick has already proven he can be the #1 for a whole season. Bernier has proven zero at the NHL level. I expect Bernier to get 20-25 starts, but if Quick continues to perform decently, I wouldn't expect a change.

Given the team's reluctance to rush Bernier, I don't expect him to take over the #1 any time soon.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
LOL @ the people saying we trade Quick at the deadline . . .

Bernier plays 20 games . . MAX

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
SRSLY, why trade Quick when we have him for 3 seasons at 1.8 . . . PROVEN #1 Goalie at 1.8 and you guys' want to trade him . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
johnjm22

It all depends on how Quick plays.

Bernier won't get a chance to be the starter unless Quick slips.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
DeeMeck

Nobody said that Quick is being traded, just that Bernier will be the #1.

If Bernier outperforms Quick he is going to play. Period.

I think there is a good chance that bernier shines. They are not going to keep playing Quick for ***** and grins if he is being outplayed.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
SRSLY, why trade Quick when we have him for 3 seasons at 1.8 . . . PROVEN #1 Goalie at 1.8 and you guys' want to trade him . . .
Value. If Bernier does indeed prove himself as a more than adequate replacement, there are other more glaring holes to fill on this team.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Mike The Franchise

Quick gets himself in a few slumps so the job is berniers to take.

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
I was curious how many games Kings fans think it will take before Bernier is the team's starter over Quick.
... It should be a 1/1A situation right out of the gate. With a smaller workload, Quick should post better results than he did last season (which were not impressive despite the misleading win total) and Bernier will only benefit from the added experience.

From that point, it should simply be a situation where the better man gets the extra time.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
LOL @ the people saying we trade Quick at the deadline . . .

Bernier plays 20 games . . MAX
At least for me, when I said Bernier would be the #1 at trade deadline, that didn't mean we would trade Quick, it simply means he would ride the pine more than playing. I used the trade deadline as just a point in the season, if it makes it better, March.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Youngblood93

Bernier should get 20-25 games this year with Quick taking the rest.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... It should be a 1/1A situation right out of the gate. With a smaller workload, Quick should post better results than he did last season (which were not impressive despite the misleading win total) and Bernier will only benefit from the added experience.

From that point, it should simply be a situation where the better man gets the extra time.
I hope so but i dont trust TM very much, so i think Bernier will only play about 25 games. I hope im wrong!

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
DeeMeck

Quick loses 6-3 in Van, Bernier wins 3-1 the next night.

Who starts home opener?

Old
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Depends on how bad the coaching staff/management wants to win. If they want to win really really bad.. Bernier should be the guy out of the gate.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Haik

I got my money on Bernier being the #1 by the end of training camp.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:55 PM
funky

I think we are in a very nice position. Quick earned his #1 status and would have instilled more confidence in all of us if Murray wouldn't have overplayed and exhausted him. Bernier was a stud in Jr's, as well as the AHL, but still has to pay his dues.

Quick 50 - 55 games with Bernier playing 30ish.

Quick has played very well over the las 1 1/2 years in a position that usually does not produce quality players until their later 20's. The L.A fanbase as a whole needs to give the kid a little slack and realize just what he has accomplished and the enviroment he accomplished it in. As mentioned above 3 years at 1.8 is a bargain in todays NHL.

Bernier for the las 2 years has been brough up the righ way. There is no need to rush the kid. Let him earn his time. This last year he showed us what he could do in the AHL with his head screwed on straight and did not dissapoint in a limited NHL stint. Let him back up/ but push Quick this season. He shows every indication of being a future stud. Lets not get caught up in if he plays 20 games this year or 40.

This is the best Kings goaltending has ever looked considering we are covered at all levels

Quick/Bernier
Zatkoff/Jones
Berube etc

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
I hope so but i dont trust TM very much, so i think Bernier will only play about 25 games. I hope im wrong!
... The reason why you (and I and a lot of people) don't trust Terry Murray on this is because he is stuck in a backwards way of thinking when it comes to handling young players; in this case young goalies. Furthermore, you know that this backwards way of thinking has been repeated over and over, because fans subscribe to it. Case in point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Bernier was a stud in Jr's, as well as the AHL, but still has to pay his dues.
... Never mind that Bernier played almost four times as many games (134) as Quick played (34) in the AHL, or that Bernier's number of games at lower levels (218) are significantly higher than Quick's (153).

Quick had the good fortune of: first, a situation where he could step in and play in 08-09 because the team in front of him wasn't going anywhere, and the goalies who preceded him had fell out of favor -- and second, cementing himself as the #1 in 09-10 because he was the beneficiary of the team around him improving, and was able to post a high victory count by virtue of the fact that he played almost all of the team's games in the season.

So, those two factors have now placed upon Quick the "proven" label -- which seems to strike such a chord with head coaches, like Murray, who aren't confident enough in their own ability to take a chance on a goalie like Bernier, who has MORE than paid his dues, simply because he doesn't have that "proven" label attached to him. He sticks with the guy who has the "proven" label so that he can have an answer for his bosses and the media when they ask him why he's continuing to work (and overwork) a guy who clearly showed himself to be a lower-tier goalie as the season wore on. If you look through the history of hockey, you'll find that the successful coaches, the WINNING coaches, by and large don't do this. Do you think that Scotty Bowman in the 90s or Glen Sather in the 80s would have given a damn if their bosses or the media said that this player or that goalie shouldn't play because they weren't ready? Bowman or Sather (or any other head coach worthy of the title) would have laughed and told their bosses or the press to go sleep it off.

In 1984-85, the Montreal Canadiens had a 23-year-old goalie named Steve Penney, who led the NHL in goals against average, and in shutouts. He was sixth in the NHL in wins, and sixth in games played. Despite all that, Canadiens' coach Jean Perron had enough confidence to play a 20-year-old in net in 1985-86, a man who had exactly 20 minutes of NHL experience. And that goalie, Patrick Roy, won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the Canadiens won the 1986 Stanley Cup.

The Kings have a 25-year-old goalie who appeared on the leaderboards of the NHL last season. Despite that, do they have the confidence to play the less experienced 22-year-old goalie, to see what he is capable of accomplishing? We'll see.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote