HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

washington and toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2010, 12:09 AM
  #26
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,261
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
geez you can throw silver at a leaf fan and they'll throw it back and demand gold.
You sure have alot of opinions on Leaf fans. Try and form an opinion about hockey sometime. You might like it.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
  #27
The Instigator
Registered User
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 900
Pass. I want Willie Mitchell.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
  #28
Caps8112
Registered User
 
Caps8112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
I'd pass on this also. If we could get Kabs for virtually nothing (which is what he will eventually go for if traded) I would take him. Giving up flash alone for him is a bad idea. Throwing in a 1st is lunacy. Flash is our poker chip at the deadline this season. Some GM under fire will want him for a player we actually need. On a side note I find it funny that for years the leafs have been a soft team much like the caps, and they get burke in there and all of a sudden the leafs are a tough team. So far. Burke's "type of players" are working out real well.

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
  #29
RAD999
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
done...next kab's

RAD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
  #30
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
because washington totally needs more offensive defensemen

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
  #31
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
1-year rental kaberle >>> 1 year rental Fleischmann + very late 1st

rather keep and resign kaberle, Fleischmann can easily walk for nothing at the end of the year

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:48 AM
  #32
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
It was something like this: "Fehr, Alzner, 1st". It's so BS, b/c the Caps wouldn't deal Fehr or Alzner straight up for Kaberle. Two players whom are definitely core.

Love to laugh at posts like this.

So lemme get this straight......you consider Karl Alzner, who is still yet to secure an NHL job, 3 years after being a top 5 pick......a core player? Alzner has been very disappointing so far, and while he may still come into his own....suggesting you wouldn't trade him for one of the top PMD in the game when the team is in win now mode......thats just funny..

Ovie-Backs-Semin
Green-Kaberle
That powerplay would be almost unstoppable.

I agree the Caps are more in need of a shutdown guy then a puck mover.....but when a deal presents itself that will improve the team, you make the deal.

Fehr, Alzner and a 1st was the reported deal and Burke declined to ask Tomas to waive because he believed he could do better.(I disagree, it may not have been what we're looking for, but the value is there)

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
  #33
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
i dont believe that there was any offer from washington. I did at the time the rumour was leaked, but over the summer Kaberle's agent said that the only list that has ever been given to the leafs from Kaberle was a list from 2 years ago.

That means that kaberle was not asked to waive his ntc this past trade deadline, and did not provide a list of teams to Burke.

Now I may be wrong, because I do remember something along the lines of kaberle being interviewed at the deadline where he said that Burke is fair to him, and he wants to be fair to Burke. But that doesnt mean he ever lifted his NTC to go to washington, and the offer was probably never made.

It could have been, but judging on what kaberle's agent has said over this summer, there has not been a list given to Toronto since the 08-09 trade deadline.

EDIT: I guess you do say that Burke didnt ask Kaberle to waive his NTC, so this isnt necessarily directed at your post. More just an observation by me.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
  #34
MIKE GUNDY*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Ugh if the Caps traded for Kaberle I'd barf
why he's better than all your defenseman and is probably a better playoff performer than all your players

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
  #35
Serpico4ever
Registered User
 
Serpico4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHardtotheGoal View Post
for The Final Time....the Caps Don't Want Or Need Kaberle
I think he means that you need Kaberle's grit and toughness.. (it never ends)

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
  #36
noBSleafsFAN
Registered User
 
noBSleafsFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Coast View Post
Phil Kessel?
your callin a guy that has one career fight soft?

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
  #37
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The Capitals need tough, defensive defensemen, not more puck movers.
The Caps have exactly 1 NHL dman capable of moving the puck. Beyond Green we have a 20 year old child who we are counting on heavily as a puck mover.

The Caps D is horrible. We need every kind of dman except for offensive wizard.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
  #38
All Day*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
No deal.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
  #39
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,014
vCash: 500
Gotta love where this thread is going.....

Washington is built around the mentality that "the best defence is a good offence" and I don't think anyone can argue with that fact considering their blueline and goaltending. Obviously this hasn't led to success in the playoffs, but it's hard to justify making signifcant changes when the building is full every single night, and you've won your division the past 3 years. They're sort of like the Sharks, who will refused for all these years refused to compromise teh structure of their team (leading to great regular seasons) for playoff success.

Most poster's logic on this board would dictate that the best thing they could do is get themselves a defensive defenceman like Volchenkov.... yet he signed in New Jersey for a reasonable $4.25m; something the caps had/still have plenty of room for. You can argue that it's because tehy didn't like him as a player for whatever reason; I contend that it was because he didn't fit into their philosophy of how they play the game. Volchenkov is an absolutely great shot blocker, crease-clearer, and physical guy, but he is not remotely good with the puck. If they slow down in transition, that's going to hurt their offensive game, and their team is not going to be able to win with that. So, while it may seem ludicrous for them to get a defenceman like Kaberle, it's really not outside the realm of possibility as to what they may think is a good idea, and if fact, may pay a premium for.

McPhee may very well have the mentality.... what if you take the League's most powerful offence, and ADD one of the league's best puckmoving defenceman???? Can we score 350 goals?? IS having Kaberle & Green on separate pairs going to mean that we can have Oveckin/Semin never cross the red line??

The problem is of course the return.... mainly in the fact taht the Capitals have very little to nothing the Leafs would actually want.... and it would take the Caps Fans/GM to realize (like they did with Knuble) that any player the Caps have on their roster is going to produce more than they do on another team. Knuble was coming off 55 and 47 point 82-game seasons in Philly. This year, he put up 53 in only 69 games, and that's for a player who is now 38 years old and should've been on a downhill slope.

You look at a guy like Brooks Laich -- 60 points playing a significant chunk of time with Ovechkin and on the PP. What's he going to produce in Toronto as likely platooning between the 3rd line C and top 6 LW? 45? What's his asking price going to be as a UFA next year after another 60 point year? I'd say he can take a look at Joe Pavelski and Ryan Kesler and say "I want that". Can the Caps get 60 points from a player for far less than $4-5m??? ABSOLUTELY. They could problably sign Afinogenov and reasonably expect career numbers. That's the benefit of having guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, adn Semin.

It is for this reason that if any deal is made.... on paper (and by HF mentality) it will look like a horrible one for the caps. The value will come in the form of the fact they know Kaberle will elevate their offensive game even more (while still knowing where to play defence unlike Green), and that any offensive piece they lose (because the big 3 are going nowhere) is likely easily replacable. You'd problably be looking at something around Tomas Kaberle + Jesse Blacker + Luca Caputi for Brooks Laich, John Carlson, and Eric Fehr. Does this look like a ridiculous overpayment for a "1-year rental"? Absolutely, but GMs regularily place significant value on 1 year rentals and the premium of the potential to resign them. It also doesn't look like nearly as big an overpayment when you consider that Kaberle has looked like crap because of the team he's on, while Laich and Fehr are problably 45-and-40 point players respectively outside of Washington. Blacker gives them an insurance policy if Kaberle walks, and Caputi challenges for a spot similar to the role that Fehr played near the bottom of their lineup.

Is it a guarantee that McPhee has this mentality? absolutely not. But, based on the moves he's made (or lack thereof) it's certain a possibility; and if it is, chances are he's going to pay a premium to get another true elite offensive talent on his team for $4.25m.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  #40
realroadrage
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Gotta love where this thread is going.....

Washington is built around the mentality that "the best defence is a good offence" and I don't think anyone can argue with that fact considering their blueline and goaltending. Obviously this hasn't led to success in the playoffs, but it's hard to justify making signifcant changes when the building is full every single night, and you've won your division the past 3 years. They're sort of like the Sharks, who will refused for all these years refused to compromise teh structure of their team (leading to great regular seasons) for playoff success.

Most poster's logic on this board would dictate that the best thing they could do is get themselves a defensive defenceman like Volchenkov.... yet he signed in New Jersey for a reasonable $4.25m; something the caps had/still have plenty of room for. You can argue that it's because tehy didn't like him as a player for whatever reason; I contend that it was because he didn't fit into their philosophy of how they play the game. Volchenkov is an absolutely great shot blocker, crease-clearer, and physical guy, but he is not remotely good with the puck. If they slow down in transition, that's going to hurt their offensive game, and their team is not going to be able to win with that. So, while it may seem ludicrous for them to get a defenceman like Kaberle, it's really not outside the realm of possibility as to what they may think is a good idea, and if fact, may pay a premium for.

McPhee may very well have the mentality.... what if you take the League's most powerful offence, and ADD one of the league's best puckmoving defenceman???? Can we score 350 goals?? IS having Kaberle & Green on separate pairs going to mean that we can have Oveckin/Semin never cross the red line??

The problem is of course the return.... mainly in the fact taht the Capitals have very little to nothing the Leafs would actually want.... and it would take the Caps Fans/GM to realize (like they did with Knuble) that any player the Caps have on their roster is going to produce more than they do on another team. Knuble was coming off 55 and 47 point 82-game seasons in Philly. This year, he put up 53 in only 69 games, and that's for a player who is now 38 years old and should've been on a downhill slope.

You look at a guy like Brooks Laich -- 60 points playing a significant chunk of time with Ovechkin and on the PP. What's he going to produce in Toronto as likely platooning between the 3rd line C and top 6 LW? 45? What's his asking price going to be as a UFA next year after another 60 point year? I'd say he can take a look at Joe Pavelski and Ryan Kesler and say "I want that". Can the Caps get 60 points from a player for far less than $4-5m??? ABSOLUTELY. They could problably sign Afinogenov and reasonably expect career numbers. That's the benefit of having guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, adn Semin.

It is for this reason that if any deal is made.... on paper (and by HF mentality) it will look like a horrible one for the caps. The value will come in the form of the fact they know Kaberle will elevate their offensive game even more (while still knowing where to play defence unlike Green), and that any offensive piece they lose (because the big 3 are going nowhere) is likely easily replacable. You'd problably be looking at something around Tomas Kaberle + Jesse Blacker + Luca Caputi for Brooks Laich, John Carlson, and Eric Fehr. Does this look like a ridiculous overpayment for a "1-year rental"? Absolutely, but GMs regularily place significant value on 1 year rentals and the premium of the potential to resign them. It also doesn't look like nearly as big an overpayment when you consider that Kaberle has looked like crap because of the team he's on, while Laich and Fehr are problably 45-and-40 point players respectively outside of Washington. Blacker gives them an insurance policy if Kaberle walks, and Caputi challenges for a spot similar to the role that Fehr played near the bottom of their lineup.

Is it a guarantee that McPhee has this mentality? absolutely not. But, based on the moves he's made (or lack thereof) it's certain a possibility; and if it is, chances are he's going to pay a premium to get another true elite offensive talent on his team for $4.25m.
Excellent post and the first that makes me consider such a move for the Caps relevant.

realroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
  #41
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry
 
XDC-RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

Love to laugh at posts like this.

So lemme get this straight......you consider Karl Alzner, who is still yet to secure an NHL job, 3 years after being a top 5 pick......a core player? Alzner has been very disappointing so far, and while he may still come into his own....suggesting you wouldn't trade him for one of the top PMD in the game when the team is in win now mode......thats just funny..
So lemme get this straight...you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Karl Alzner?

In what way has he been disappointing? He HAS secured a job in the NHL. GMGM has said as much. He's said more, in fact. He's said Karl could easily have played full time last year but he didn't want to upset chemistry. You can choose to believe it or not, but those of us who have seen him play more than 1 or 2 games are extremely excited about the kid. He's the real deal.

How many of his games have you seen him play (for either Was or Her)? Do you have any idea how instrumental he was in winning back to back Calder cups for Hershey?

I would love for you to expound upon the ways he's been "very disappointing".

Also: The PP unit you drew up shows you know nothing about the Caps and their system. Ovy plays the point with Green. Kaberle would be on the second PP unit. John Carlson, another kid everyone around here is pretty high on is our guy back there for now.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.