HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The east will be tough!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
  #26
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,327
vCash: 50
I want the habs to be tough to play against. Whether that's tough to contain by speed, skill, smarts or physicality, then fine. However, goals are scored when the clock is running, not when the clock stops for 2 guys to fight.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
  #27
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Well he wont let half of the team play next year because our team is made up of young players .
Depends if he likes the guy, or not. He doesn't really seem to like O'bryne.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
  #28
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,267
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Why does the AHL team have so many guys that can fight and the Habs have none?
Well Habs have drafted Schultz, Conboy and White so it's just a matter for all 3 of them to have been drafted from 2006 and up. Takes time to graduate. Henry, well to me, they've kept him more for his leadership role on and off the ice than his pugilistic qualities. Bonneau is the real question mark here. We don't need him more than we would have needed 1 or 2 scoring vets to replace guys like Glumac.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
  #29
Bonin
Registered User
 
Bonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SCB
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
I bet Moen and Oyrne are scared I know I would be if i had to fight out of my weight class to stick up for teammates. If you played hockey you would know it feels good to have a goon on your team just in case. It is like car insurance you don't get it hoping to get in an accident but you need it if you get into one.
I wouldn't feel any different seriously what could happen that would make me feel bad not to have one?

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
  #30
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
If 90% of the teams in the NHL have a goon then we should as well. If those teams can find 500,000 to 1.5 million to pay a goon then we should be doing it too. Darche will bring nothing to the table and stick up for no one not even himself so why not have a wade belak or a guy like that. I have played hockey and it is not fun getting beat up or watching teammates get beat up. plus everyone says we are getting pushed around and we are so fix it and get a good to help out. Goon + team toughness is the answer. with a goon moen and O'bynre would feel 10 feet tall.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
  #31
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Another point I forgot to make in my original post...

Do you think guys like Cammalleri, Gomez, and Gionta get intimidated by physical play? I think we've seen enough to determine that they most definitely do not. Gionta goes up 1-on-1 with Chara and doesn't back down an inch, just because he doesn't fight doesn't mean he isn't tough. Same for Cammalleri. He is ****ing dirty. Seriously, watch him.. Whoever takes liberties with him will often get a spear, a severe slash, an elbow.. He won't back down. Gomez will drop them, is he a good fighter? Not great but he won't be backing down. He likes the physical stuff. Pouliot dropped them with Redden, again, he's a guy that isn't going to shy away from the contact. Andrei K when he's on his game is an absolute wrecking machine physically, sure he doesn't fight.. But when 220lbs of pure muscle rams you into the boards, it still hurts like hell.

We might not have a team of "fighters", but we are team tough and the guys have proven (expect maybe Pleks, although he can get chippy/dirty too) they won't be intimidated.

Could we use more size? Yes. I'm just not that concerned about it, to tell you the truth.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
  #32
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
I bet Moen and Oyrne are scared I know I would be if i had to fight out of my weight class to stick up for teammates. If you played hockey you would know it feels good to have a goon on your team just in case. It is like car insurance you don't get it hoping to get in an accident but you need it if you get into one.
those goon will not fioght Gionta, camalleri, Plekanec, Gomez

So I dont care

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
  #33
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,734
vCash: 500
Some goons won't fight smaller players, or star players. Players like Carcillo will. If a somewhat tough/ big line starts pushing our players around, we don't really have enough tough guys to form our own line to send out there to send a message. It's why I want Asham.

Moen - Lapierre - Asham
Gill (?) - O'bryne

Not the toughest, but could hold their own and not get killed.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:36 PM
  #34
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
If we are so tough without a goon then why does everyone say we got booted out of the last 2 playoffs by the flyers because we are not tough enough? we have some team toughness but we need the big goon to set the table for us, it is like having a big brother you know you aren't alone and someone bigger than you will have your back.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
  #35
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Some goons won't fight smaller players, or star players. Players like Carcillo will. If a somewhat tough/ big line starts pushing our players around, we don't really have enough tough guys to form our own line to send out there to send a message. It's why I want Asham.

Moen - Lapierre - Asham
Gill (?) - O'bryne

Not the toughest, but could hold their own and not get killed.
I would have loved Asham I can't believe he is still a UFA. i would have given him the 500 thousand we gave Darche plus a couple more dollars and he would have been taking care of business in Montreal when needed plus he can play hockey. He isn't a heavyweight but he is a great middle weight.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
  #36
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
Riley Cote, anyone?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
  #37
Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Registered User
 
Kensai Akatsume Ryu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alma,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
If we are so tough without a goon then why does everyone say we got booted out of the last 2 playoffs by the flyers because we are not tough enough? we have some team toughness but we need the big goon to set the table for us, it is like having a big brother you know you aren't alone and someone bigger than you will have your back.
We lost to the Flyers because we lacked scoring depth and our overall team was lacking gas (mainly because the same players kept logging big minutes), Halak wasn't as stellar, and the Flyers outplayed us. We do not lose to the Leafs, still they are physically big and play an intimidation game. We lost to a team who outplayed us and had better scoring depth, plain simple.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
  #38
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
09/10
Toronto non playoff team
Buffalo non playoff team
Ottawa marginal playoff team out in first round
Boston is the only team I worry about here and it's not because of fights.

If teams wanna goon it so be it. They lose a roster spot with it and its not particularly effective if you've got no dance partner.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:17 PM
  #39
OutbreakCH
Registered User
 
OutbreakCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
We should try to sign FA Georges Laraques, i heard he was a good fighter?

OutbreakCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:31 PM
  #40
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakCH View Post
We should try to sign FA Georges Laraques, i heard he was a good fighter?
He's busy now ...

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
  #41
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakCH View Post
We should try to sign FA Georges Laraques, i heard he was a good fighter?
the BGL joke has gotten dumb and tiring. gainey and his pro scouting staff ****ed up and never did its due diligence. it's over, let it go. IF BGL had, had an ounce of a mean streak - like his early oiler days (or like colton orr lol), the habs would've been a different team to play against. far less intimidated. that being said, i'm not a proponent of the 3 min tough guy...but if slugs like darche are getting 3 mins...then yeah i'd prefer the policeman. why this mngt team has not a made a priority to go after guys like clowe or even a rick rypien is beyond me. maybe the trade cost is prohibitive. as mentioned, pray guys like schultz, conboy and white are ready sooner than later.

as much as i think the boogard signing (term and money) is ridiculous, you can be damn sure carcillo will be excessively quiet and not wailing on gaborik this year. less he gets his face caved in. bank on it.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:56 PM
  #42
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
09/10
Toronto non playoff team
Buffalo non playoff team
Ottawa marginal playoff team out in first round
Boston is the only team I worry about here and it's not because of fights.

If teams wanna goon it so be it. They lose a roster spot with it and its not particularly effective if you've got no dance partner.
Buffalo is a non playoff team? Not even a bubble team? I find that hard to believe. I expect them to be ahead of Montreal and Ottawa.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
  #43
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,345
vCash: 500
Every year the East will be though, yet every year some teams disappoint and some teams surprise.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
  #44
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,041
vCash: 500
didnt we have a similar thread last summer or something...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:21 AM
  #45
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
We dont have room for toughguy.

Moen Boyd and Lapierre are lock for spots.

Then there are Eller Pacioretty Pyatt and White, who was very close winning his spot on the team.

Darche is there just for keeping he bench warm and dry. And I believe we are going to run with 8 defenders...

Personally I'm fine with having these guys for building blocks or our bottom lines. Only Darche is a softy and Pyatt only smallish player. Otherwise theres a large amount of grit there.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
  #46
OutbreakCH
Registered User
 
OutbreakCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
the BGL joke has gotten dumb and tiring. gainey and his pro scouting staff ****ed up and never did its due diligence. it's over, let it go. IF BGL had, had an ounce of a mean streak - like his early oiler days (or like colton orr lol), the habs would've been a different team to play against. far less intimidated. that being said, i'm not a proponent of the 3 min tough guy...but if slugs like darche are getting 3 mins...then yeah i'd prefer the policeman. why this mngt team has not a made a priority to go after guys like clowe or even a rick rypien is beyond me. maybe the trade cost is prohibitive. as mentioned, pray guys like schultz, conboy and white are ready sooner than later.

as much as i think the boogard signing (term and money) is ridiculous, you can be damn sure carcillo will be excessively quiet and not wailing on gaborik this year. less he gets his face caved in. bank on it.
ya i think ur right, its necessary to waste a roster spot that, say, one of our progressing prospects could use to get some nhl experience, should be wasted on a goon who can barely skate. Good post!!

OutbreakCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
  #47
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakCH View Post
ya i think ur right, its necessary to waste a roster spot that, say, one of our progressing prospects could use to get some nhl experience, should be wasted on a goon who can barely skate. Good post!!
We wouldn't be wasting a roster spot or taking NHL exiperience away from a prospect. What is wrong with you can't you read. Darche is not a prospect and brings nothing to the table besides being a career minor leaguer and of course he is french. Darche is soft and his spot on the team would be better served for a goon like Belak o rMcGrattan.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
  #48
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,682
vCash: 500
Where is that Nelsson guy?

And Shcrulthz is coming up soon.

Tinordi, Schrulthz, White, Obyrne, Conboy = 5 toughs

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
  #49
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
I'd much rather have tough kids come up and fight their way onto the NHL team with passion, than a veteran who stages fights once in a while.

Remember Greg Stewart when he first came up?

Call up Andrew Conboy or Eric Neilson once in a while if you have some injuries and you're playing the Leafs, Bruins or Flyers, otherwise don't bother.

We have had a lot of success in the past 10 years with 'average' rosters simply because we had a lot of speed and skills along with hot goalies.

Goons are overrated.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:06 AM
  #50
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I'd much rather have tough kids come up and fight their way onto the NHL team with passion, than a veteran who stages fights once in a while.

Remember Greg Stewart when he first came up?

Call up Andrew Conboy or Eric Neilson once in a while if you have some injuries and you're playing the Leafs, Bruins or Flyers, otherwise don't bother.

We have had a lot of success in the past 10 years with 'average' rosters simply because we had a lot of speed and skills along with hot goalies.

Goons are overrated.
Well could you tell me why 90% of the teams in the nhl has a goon to police the ice?

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.